THE BROWNS BOARD

We know one thing about the QB's now

Greythan

He thinks both guys stink.

Goes through a prolonged preseason competition. Many folks here commented on how it looked more like DA lost the competition versus BQ winning it.

The only reason I can think that Mangini makes the switch down 20 was NOT to try and win the game. Nope, I think he may dislike both his QB's immensely and could care less about either's pysche. (Pull Quinn at the half and only let DA know as they're heading back out on the field.) There's no way you pull Quinn if you "like" him. Way too short of a leash. I'm also wondering if Quinn and DA both know how little they're liked and may be why neither has shined so far in preseason or games. (Lack of confidence.)

He may have simply taken the "safer" guy in Quinn hoping for low mistakes, but simply couldn't stomach the complete lack of production. So, he sends in DA and promptly is rewarded with 3 picks.

Ugly ugly stuff.

This would make sense! Here is the question... Why would BQ not want to take shots down field. The coaches distrust him, therefore they dont call the plays to take these shots. As a result they are basically saying, look BQ you suck at passing deep however DA can pass deep really well but he can't pass short and we have to pass short, so were gonna put you in if you promise to not pass deep. And here we go again HOW DIFFICULT IS IT TO DEFEND ONLY 5 YARD PASSES?!!! Who expects us to accomplish anything when the defense basically stacks the box every down.

Grey, I'm afraid you may be right on here.

As I posted in my thread (go read the novel if you dare), it seems that whatever the offensive philosophy is supposed to be, it doesn't include either QB.

Seems to me the really, REALLY flawed gameplan is to try to manage the game and do just enough on offense to win.

Problem with that strategy, like any inherently passive strategy, is that it actually limits your ability for positive things to happen as much as it limits the potential for negative plays. Actually, moreso, because making positive plays happen is inherently active whereas negative things can happen without too much effort (Mack's snap last week, Quinn's bonehead pick this week, BE's penalties, well, forever).

I really don't get why they don't just open up the O and let the guys play; there quite literally isn't anything to lose. Robiskie can't see the field? Really? MoMass is a 3-5 play a game guy? Really?

I like Mangini's penchant for discipline and order when it comes to organization building. But when it comes to offense and defense, I'd rather see a young, out-manned team running around with energy trying to make things happen as opposed to this, whatever this is.

I don't think Quinn takes shots downfield unless a wide receiver is wide open. I don't think he trusts his own accuracy. DA on the other hand can make some incredible throws but believes he will squeeze the ball into any coverage they throw at him.

I think BQ wont take the shots because he knows there is a 60% or better chance of a pick but he was also not given the 4 and 5 WR sets to work with like DA was cash is as good as money 2 different styles yet the results are similar and next week the bungles are going to bury this club regardless of who starts i would rather see DA since daboll wont let BQ be BQ on the field so watching DA scramble for his life will be entertaining as the bengals set new records at the browns fans expense...

BQ needs to ask for a trade he may still be able to salvage his young career elsewhere and justify the unjust treatment he has recieved in cleveland from day 1...all the secrecy starts with lerner not mangini lerner likes to keep things in the family and guess what...we fans are not family and guess what else im not supporting a team that treats its fans this way we deserve better than this and i urge everyone not to support lerner and who cares if he moves this sorry pos as long as cleveland keeps the colors and history and gets an expansion gaurantee we could all use a break from 10 years of fan hell...

Does cleveland fans have a fight left in em or has lerner won?

Mangini makes the switch down 20 was NOT to try and win the game. Nope, I think he may dislike both his QB's immensely and could care less about either's pysche.

Ugly ugly stuff.

Then why didnt he draft a guy we could of had Sanchez!

This would make sense! Here is the question... Why would BQ not want to take shots down field. The coaches distrust him, therefore they dont call the plays to take these shots. As a result they are basically saying, look BQ you suck at passing deep however DA can pass deep really well but he can't pass short and we have to pass short, so were gonna put you in if you promise to not pass deep. And here we go again HOW DIFFICULT IS IT TO DEFEND ONLY 5 YARD PASSES?!!! Who expects us to accomplish anything when the defense basically stacks the box every down.

Yeah, DA looks great throwing 40 yard bombs into triple coverage. Anyone who thinks he's the long term answer better put down the crack pipe. On the first int, the guy was open-really? The guy makes piss poor decisions- doubt if that's a correctable flaw.

I think it's time to come to grips with 2 absolute truths my friend:

1.) The Browns are a bad team right now.

2.) ManKok isn't the franchise savior.

And here is an a 3rd, but unproven truth: Quinn and Anderson would both have better careers for a different team.

This team looks like the expansion Browns.

Goes through a prolonged preseason competition. Many folks here commented on how it looked more like DA lost the competition versus BQ winning it.

The only reason I can think that Mangini makes the switch down 20 was NOT to try and win the game. Nope, I think he may dislike both his QB's immensely and could care less about either's pysche. (Pull Quinn at the half and only let DA know as they're heading back out on the field.) There's no way you pull Quinn if you "like" him. Way too short of a leash. I'm also wondering if Quinn and DA both know how little they're liked and may be why neither has shined so far in preseason or games. (Lack of confidence.)

He may have simply taken the "safer" guy in Quinn hoping for low mistakes, but simply couldn't stomach the complete lack of production. So, he sends in DA and promptly is rewarded with 3 picks.

Ugly ugly stuff.

...Here is the question... Why would BQ not want to take shots down field?...

You have to wonder if there's nobody open or if this offensive scheme isn't friendly to down fields throws.

Quinn's reaction is to check down while DA's reaction is to let it fly. Quinn's result is 30 yard drives with no points, while DA's result is interceptions.

Then why didnt he draft a guy we could of had Sanchez!

Because he hadn't worked with either QB at that point.

You can't blame these guys for not drafting a qb last draft.

He had a guy who did make a pro-bowl the year before and he had a hot shot first round qb sitting in the wings.

He had to see first hand what they hard...or more on point, lack.

Why would BQ not want to take shots down field. The coaches distrust him, therefore they dont call the plays to take these shots. As a result they are basically saying, look BQ you suck at passing deep however

Typically there is a deeper option on every play. And when have been trailing by as much as we have been, we have had A LOT of deep options. The problem is not the OC, it's Quinn's own distrust in his ability. He has 4-5 seconds and just dumps it off. He was trying to avoid having a day like DA had in the 2nd half. That has led to ZERO production. I honestly cannot say I have ever seen a passing game so disgustingly inneffective as our has been. BQ or DA, they both stunk it up. And Ratliff looked AWEFUL in the preseason so we have no hope on this roster. I say, trade for Kolb at the deadline.

Yeah, DA looks great throwing 40 yard bombs into triple coverage. Anyone who thinks he's the long term answer better put down the crack pipe. On the first int, the guy was open-really? The guy makes piss poor decisions- doubt if that's a correctable flaw.

Actually, decision making is much easier to fix than lack of ability. I am not saying at all that DA is our QB of the future, I'm just saying that his bad habits can be corrected through experience, coaching, and a solid supporting cast. But does Mangini have the time to bother with it?

With that said, does anybody else want to see Kevin Kolb in here at the trade deadline? I would rather have a vet than draft a QB who is always 50/50 boom or bust potential.

Dave, have you seen our defense defend the 5 yard pass? Me either! :lol:

'Course our guys can't just sit on the 5 yd pass so I guess I have to give them a lil slack there. But it's sad to watch.

2nd qtr, 3rd and 5... One of the rare shots I saw when the camera angle actually gave us a good view of what was happening downfield. The result, NO ONE was open. Granted it was one play. But for a pissed fan it only fuels the fire when you're not convinced the OC is calling a good game! Brady threw the ball well out of bounds over the head of Cribbs on the near sideline. Safe play. Smart play. Get it out of bounds. But I want to yell at the TV cuz BE was running a post on the far side with single man coverage. Take a frickin shot BQ! If anyone can make a circus catch for you it's BE.

While it appears we have a coach that has his system and tries to force the players to fit into it (round hole, square peg theory), it does often look like BQ is not willing to go out on a limb for whatever reason.

I can only assume at this point Mangini is the kind of coach that needs players that fit HIS system. He's not the kind of guy that can take what he has and maximize it's potential. The only thing we can hope is he is able to find it in the next few years. That means he can't miss in the draft. Next season, he needs one of his 2nd round receivers to pan out and he needs at least two impact players from next years draft to play and play well NEXT YEAR. He CANNOT draft people that will take 2-3 years to come into their own. He doesn't have that kind of time. This current organization doesn't have that kind of time.

At this pace, we are going to win a maximum of 3 games. Yes, we are great fans. We support our team. But even we have our limits. I'll watch and cheer for the Browns this year as I have for the last 30 years. But most of it will be done from the comfort of my couch. 3 games this year. That's all I'm going to. I refuse to shell out $20 for parking, $10 in gas, about $10 for beer that will be consumed in the parking lot, $25 to $30 for beers inside the stadium (the cost of the Cap'n Morgan poured in those beers from my Browns flask is only a few bucks worth so we won't figure that in), $40 to $50 a ticket and all for what? To spend half the game in the bathroom while the team sucks ass on the field? I have to watch the tape of the game every time I go to the stadium anyway, I might as well just stay home and pause it in between bathroom breaks!

There will be a lot of empty seats this season. There were a lot last year. Empty seats.... that's us talking Lerner's language. No matter how bad this team sucks, as long as we put our ass in the seats, we have to carry a little bit of the blame ourselves.

EMPTY SEATS people. Flooding them with e-mails and calls and faxes is a cool idea, but it's all noise when we put our fannies in the seats.

The coolest thing ever would be for all of us to go to Cleveland, fill the muni lot, pack all the nearby parking lots, and stay in the lot or support one of the local businesses by watching the game in their establishment and not the stadium. That would be the way to send a message. We just need to figure out what we want to say because right now we're all so "WTF" by this ineptitude displayed on the field we feel like Devito in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" or the quacks in "The Dream Team" with Michael Keaton.

Myself included.... I just looked up at the post I was responding to and wondered how I ended up here! :blink: See what they're doing to us!!! We're all donkey's on the edge!!!!

I believe Quinn should ask to be traded. He has been "mishandled" since his rookie season just as "Robo" and "Momas" are this year. If his confidence was not shattered before, it certainly is now. It is very hard to play well while looking over your shoulder and being afraid to make a mistake because you will be benched.

Clearly Quinn has no future with the Browns and the Browns have no winning future in sight. This entire team is in disarray and it would not matter who the QB was they would struggle.

That being said, I do not believe DA is the answer either. Obviously this coaches identity is to "play not to lose" and DA's "gunslinger mentality" doesn't fit that mold either.

Too bad we didn't trade both DA and Quinn when they had some value. After 3 games with this team their their value has plummeted.

Archived