THE BROWNS BOARD

Thoughts on benching Quinn

RPrepublic

So i was just rewatching the ravens game and i noticed something just before kickoff that one of the announcers mentioned. He said specifically "according to eric mangini he has to continue to improve in order to keep the job" just thought that was interesting and i missed/forgot it while watching the first time. Does anyone think this could be kinda what they did to Mcnabb last year? Try and light a fire under his butt? Im trying to get in EM's head to understand the reasoning behind this. I def think it was a bad move that probably backfires but i just thought what the announcer said was interesting and wondering if anyone else caught that.

I wouldn't think it's a McNabb situation. McNabb has a fairly lengthy history of NFL success, they yanked him in a game and it seemed to be a nice wakeup call. BQ was being his typical self this game.

I do think pulling him was an odd move. Should have let him go and see how he reacts to playing from behind, then consider whether he's starting the next week. I really expected 4-5 full games before this came about.

I wouldn't think it's a McNabb situation. McNabb has a fairly lengthy history of NFL success, they yanked him in a game and it seemed to be a nice wakeup call. BQ was being his typical self this game.

I do think pulling him was an odd move. Should have let him go and see how he reacts to playing from behind, then consider whether he's starting the next week. I really expected 4-5 full games before this came about.

Yeah I think that would be the best way to go about it. So i just went out and smoked a few cigarettes and came up with kind of a hypothesis. Still don't think it was done properly but here goes. Mangini wants to put some fire under Quinns butt and decides benching him is the best way to go about that. So when would be a good time to do this? He wouldn't want to wait for a game that was in my opinion winable to bench Quinn and i would say this game wasn't winable by the second half so he decides to put DA in knowing he's cannon fodder. That way Quinn can get the point but not sacrifice a competitive game to do so. He also opens up the playbook for DA and uses it as almost a scrimmage for the offense to see how they do going long. I'm not saying thats what happened but just trying to figure out some possible scenarios. The thing that pisses me off about the whole situation is that we HAVE game tape of Quinn throwing the intermediate/long passes from last year. We HAVE the preseason film of him making drives and running the offense. Obviously something has changed. So its not about Quinns "lack of arm" that everything is dink n dunk. We have the proof of him playing differently. so the question is...Did something seriously effect his confidence between then and now, or is it just a lack of the OC calling the right plays? I guess we will know what the plan is next week but i think the man needs his proper chance to see what hes got. Definitely doesn't help when the right side of the OL breaks down and his recievers can't get open except for Edwards whos double covered...

I have nothing against trying to spark the team with a different QB but the way this was done was wrong...bq wasnt given 4 wr sets or the playbook to go deep often bq was never given the chance to just be bq he was kept on a very short leash with few options its been impossible to give hm an honest evaluation because he has been hymmed into playing an offense that he isnt suited to and mangini clearly walked away from his one size fits all shit offense to accommadate DA...my opinion of mangini which was already getting low has taken a drastic nosedive this guy cant even stick to his own words...he is a cronic liar and leads by a corrupt example that causes mistrust between the players and distain from the fans...daboll is a joke and should be fired today the guy is a newbie OC and it shows...

Mangini needs to be fired and the nfl and lerner needs to be sued by the city of cleveland for a new owner or a new franchise gaurantee that allows cleveland to keep the colors and history and lerner needs to be evicted from municiple stadium for 10 years the fans ,browns reputation and city of cleveland have suffered under poor ownership inflicted by the nfl's greed..

As i said in another thread....i think he was protecting Quinn and Quinn will be back in next week.

The game was about to get ugly since we were in a situation where to have any chance we had to throw.

Let DA take the lumps rather than have the weaker armed Quinn tossing it deeper or continue to toss 2 yard passes.

Balt was in a pass rush, ball hawking mode after the half.

There is no doubt DA has the bigger arm, so you might as well give that a shot and see what happens rather than keep your starter in a no win situation.

Under the circumstances, DA was the better choice in that second half for a whole host of reasons.

I think it's pretty damn early in the season for this kind of disarray no matter who starts.

I'm not in love with either QB but so far Mangini looks like as big an idiot as we've had as HC.

How do you lose the team by week 3?

Lerner is an oaf, but isn't there anyone with NFL experience to guide him?

Is he just the typical rich kid layabout?

Still I guess it's too early to fire Mangini but this has been an historically short honeymoon.

No "in kokonis we trust" sigs huh?

WSS

The move could point to Browns brass placing a call to Mangini this week. The pressure could be building, and if that's the case Mangini might not want or even get a second year.

Guest ATENEARS

I have no idea how anyone could not see why Brady Quinn was yanked at halftime.

Down 20-0 and the guy is still tossing passes short of the line of scrimmage on 3rd-and-whatever (it doesn't matter the distance, he don't pass it beyond the line of scrimmage anyhow).

Quinn is horrible. I have seen enough. I'm all for giving DA the reps. Hell, at least he tried to make some plays, and did create a spark, although burnt-out too ... but it was something. Quinn = nothing.

I had no problem pulling Quinn at the half. I EXPECTED IT.

I was absolutely one of those 'get Anderson off the field, turn Quinn loose' guys. Took a sign to the Jacksonville game last year stating Romeo should yank Anderson and get the 'real' QB in.

Now ... I am convinced those that said Quinn had no long pass arm strength, are right. He looks like a freshman starting on a college team. He was allowed 2 years on the sideline with a big paycheck, to learn the position and prepare. When he was finally chosen, he looked like he'd never seen a pro game before. Minnesota - first game jitters - O.K.; Chicago - times up, time to start proving himself - did'nt happen; Yesterday, he absolutely deserved to be pulled and I believe that even though Derek Anderson is not a guy that can carry a winning team, nor perform adequate enough for a winning program, at least he seems to command respect and get 'some' results from the offense. The interceptions - to me that's simply his lack of ability to play at the winning level. Contrary to my original thoughts, I wish we'd used BQ for a bargaining chip to get players in the offseason. Monday morning quarterbacking?, yes, sorry, but the aggravation is just annoying me too much.

We do not have a leader capable of making this season eventhe slightest bit entertaining. The constant draw plays and run plays that prove again and again (especially at 3rd and 11, etc.) are ridiculous. Mangini and his staff seem to be content with keeping the 10 year curse alive.

I'll say this.

I cannot fathom why a directive to drop five steps and heave it was never given to Quinn on first or second down.

No more, no less, just drop back and cut it loose to a streaking receiver down the right or left sideline. No check-downs, no flares, screw field position, just throw it.

I am not talking arm strength here, just toss that sucker as far as it will go to remind them it can happen, even from the Browns. With a five-step drop he can throw it as far as any receiver can run in that amount of time so there really shouldn't be an issue at all. If he can't he is not NFL quality but I suspect he can.

If a directive was given and he ignored it, then sit him down because we have to stretch the field or at least try. If it wasn't then it's on the OC for some seriously conservative playcalling.

When DA tried late in the 3rd and 4th the DBs were waiting and it was too late to reasonably catch anyone in single coverage deep. I though he made some good intermediate throws on some good crossing routes to Furrey early on but I just don't see how Quinn wasn't forced to make some long throws in the first half.

You hear it all the time, you gotta take your shots down the field, BEFORE they drop into the prevent and pick that sucker off.

Any other insights?

What route was BE given to run on Quinn's INT?

Did you see the CB on that play? He flat out KNEW the route. Stupid pass by Quinn for sure, but follow my logic.

The PLAYCALL was for a short out and the defense knew the OC wouldn't call a "go" route.

Yes, it was one play. My point, however, is it remains a bit unclear as to the inability for Quinn to get the ball downfield. Its either 1) the guy simply can't see the field/lacks confidence or 2) the playcalls arent' there/receivers can't get seperation. I don't have a dog in the fight, so if its "1" so be it: we're done with Quinn. Its just shocking that Mangini missed this and even more shocking that DA couldn't beat the guy out.

So pardon me if I'm not celebrating DA's return. Its a bit anti-climactic.

I'll say this.

I cannot fathom why a directive to drop five steps and heave it was never given to Quinn on first or second down.

No more, no less, just drop back and cut it loose to a streaking receiver down the right or left sideline. No check-downs, no flares, screw field position, just throw it.

He did that a time or two and as I recall the ball ended up 5 yards out of bounds.

As bad as DA is with short routes, BQ is equally inept on plays over 10 yards.

He did that a time or two and as I recall the ball ended up 5 yards out of bounds.

As bad as DA is with short routes, BQ is equally inept on plays over 10 yards.

I don't like Quinn as a QB. I just don't. He's kind of cowardly in the pocket and he has to crank up to get anything on his throws. He might do well in Canada or Arena.

Sorry, but I feel like I've seen enough.

I want more of Horseballs airing it out. At least he got me out of my seat a couple times yesterday. I think Quinn is the first QB we ever had where I plan my bathroom breaks around when we have the ball because I know I'm not going to miss anything.

Zombo

What route was BE given to run on Quinn's INT?

Did you see the CB on that play? He flat out KNEW the route. Stupid pass by Quinn for sure, but follow my logic.

The PLAYCALL was for a short out and the defense knew the OC wouldn't call a "go" route.

Yes, it was one play. My point, however, is it remains a bit unclear as to the inability for Quinn to get the ball downfield. Its either 1) the guy simply can't see the field/lacks confidence or 2) the playcalls arent' there/receivers can't get seperation. I don't have a dog in the fight, so if its "1" so be it: we're done with Quinn. Its just shocking that Mangini missed this and even more shocking that DA couldn't beat the guy out.

So pardon me if I'm not celebrating DA's return. Its a bit anti-climactic.

I saw the interception, and what I most noticed was how long the ball took to get there. That ball should have been rifled in there; instead it was tossed with some arc and not much velocity. It probably wouldn't have made much difference, but I thought the throw was poor.

We know Quinn can sting it in there, and we know his mechanics WERE good. We saw what we saw in the DEN game last year, and now, it looks like Ken Dorsey or Charlie Frye throwing the ball. Something just doesn't add up, because this isn't the guy I saw play last year or college ball against OSU (or Michigan State).

I don't like Quinn as a QB. I just don't. He's kind of cowardly in the pocket and he has to crank up to get anything on his throws. He might do well in Canada or Arena.

Sorry, but I feel like I've seen enough.

I want more of Horseballs airing it out. At least he got me out of my seat a couple times yesterday. I think Quinn is the first QB we ever had where I plan my bathroom breaks around when we have the ball because I know I'm not going to miss anything.

Zombo

I don't like him either and would have never drafted him, but the fact is he is here.

I think this is a little early to give up on him. I don't think anything is going to change, but you just have to let him implode a little longer before you can toss him aside and never look back.

I do agree....DA gives us a better chance, though I wouldn't call it a major improvement.,,,but yeah..BQ is a weak personality.

Great posts, guys.

I'm with Spec and Grey on this one. I think it's a combo of creating a sense of insecurity (for both QBs) and poor playcalling.

Which led both QBs to play to their tendencies yesterday. BQ played it too conservatively trying to be too perfect and DA played it too balls-out, trying to be a "spark" and a "playmaker".

To Grey's point: most of Quinn's pass plays yesterday were obviously designed short throws. Unless Quinn is calling the plays, he seems to be doing what he's told out there and Grey's right about that first pick being an obvious indicator that the CB had NO concern about BE going by him.

That very well could be because they don't fear Quinn but it also could be that the offense is so conservative (and talent starved) that D's are cheating up.

Likely it's a bit of both but assuming it is a Quinn issue, Weis was able to scheme around his deficiencies. Why can't Daboll?

I think Quinn can still be a good quarterback in a Pittsburgh-style offense. Pound the ball with the run, defense keeping the other team off the board, and Quinn just making the smart/safe plays to keep the team in the game and have a chance to win in the 4th quarter. Like I said a couple times yesterday though, these current Browns don't have any of that.

DA isn't any kind of long-term answer, but he's a better placeholder on a bad team. More upside (big plays). Equal downside (losing games).

Archived