THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini keeping starting QB "secret" until Wednesday

bonedawg

WTF...seriously? :blink:

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns coach Eric Mangini said he'll wait until Wednesday to announce his starting quarterback for Sunday's game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Mangini, speaking today at his weekly press conference, said he liked the way Derek Anderson moved the ball after relieving starter Brady Quinn on Sunday in Baltimore, including a 22-yard pass to Mike Furrey on third-and-16, but said that he can't throw interceptions and has to learn to sometimes learn to throw the ball away.

Mangini attributed Quinn's lack of success on third down (6-of-30) to the Browns getting themselves in third-and-long too often. Quinn is 0-3 as the starter this season and 1-5 in his career. He has one TD, three interceptions and two fumbles. He's produced four field goals and one meaningless TD in 10 quarters of work.

Anderson went 3-6 as a starter last season and 10-5 in 2007, when he made it to the Pro Bowl.

Unreal.

What could possibly take 2 days to evaluate? And if he hasn't figured out how little we believe in the Mangenious moniker at this point....

Just call Quinn a bust officially ruining him and throw DA in (where he'll most likely get ruined too considering the supporting cast, morale and play calling).

In two weeks he'll have a Monday press conference indicating he'll name the starting QB that Wednesday and that he liked what he saw from Ratliff in mop up duty the day before.

Monday is review of film with coaches and players. Tuesdays are players off day. Wednesday is the first day back.

What is there to gain by naming a starter today or tomorrow? It doesn't give the guy any more game reps, prep time, or practice time of any kind. The only thing gained by saying who he'll start (which maybe he and the staff don't know until after they reviewed the film today) is fans and press knowing who they are going with. There is no football related gain or loss by waiting until Wednesday.

WTF...seriously? :blink:

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns coach Eric Mangini said he'll wait until Wednesday to announce his starting quarterback for Sunday's game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Mangini, speaking today at his weekly press conference, said he liked the way Derek Anderson moved the ball after relieving starter Brady Quinn on Sunday in Baltimore, including a 22-yard pass to Mike Furrey on third-and-16, but said that he can't throw interceptions and has to learn to sometimes learn to throw the ball away.

Mangini attributed Quinn's lack of success on third down (6-of-30) to the Browns getting themselves in third-and-long too often. Quinn is 0-3 as the starter this season and 1-5 in his career. He has one TD, three interceptions and two fumbles. He's produced four field goals and one meaningless TD in 10 quarters of work.

Anderson went 3-6 as a starter last season and 10-5 in 2007, when he made it to the Pro Bowl.

ROFL.....yeah Eric, having a non-existant running game with a tippy-toe old man getting the ball on 1st and 2nd down will usually produce a lot of 3rd and longs. I can see how that is Quinn's fault since he calls the crappy plays.

ROFL.....yeah Eric, having a non-existant running game with a tippy-toe old man getting the ball on 1st and 2nd down will usually produce a lot of 3rd and longs. I can see how that is Quinn's fault since he calls the crappy plays.

I would like if they would let him call the plays.

Might make for something more exciting than the shitty call's we've seen so far.

Because that is not how the plays are called man. You saw the difference when Anderson went in there in plays called. Quinn's a bum.

Because that is not how the plays are called man. You saw the difference when Anderson went in there in plays called. Quinn's a bum.

I saw 3 interceptions, should have been 5. What did you see exactly?

We get it, Quinn's a bum.

Is your point that DA isn't? Remember, DA lost his starting job to "the bum".

DA is a backup QB. DA never lost his job, Mangini is giving this organization a shakedown. It is what it is.

The way some of you are acting, you should be ashamed(especially gips). It is like being in old munie with the drunks. They didn't know sheet either.

I saw someone force balls, resulting in 3 INTs, and 2 near INTs. I'd certainly grant that it is a difference. But being an improvement or upgrade is a questionable assertion at best.

Notice the amount of time DA actually had to make the decision on the pick into triple coverage. Even the first pick and last pick. No QB will be successful if they only have one option on the field who can get separation from coverage.

Neither QB will have much of any success with current offense and personal being trotted out for the majority of plays.

Well then RIP that only shows how stupid this staff is. Honest to god, do you think before posting? If they're purposely calling plays like that because Quinn is a bum, why did they even select him over DA?

I saw someone force balls, resulting in 3 INTs, and 2 near INTs. I'd certainly grant that it is a difference. But being an improvement or upgrade is a questionable assertion at best.

Notice the amount of time DA actually had to make the decision on the pick into triple coverage. Even the first pick and last pick. No QB will be successful if they only have one option on the field who can get separation from coverage.

Neither QB will have much of any success with current offense and personal being trotted out for the majority of plays.

We will see my man, we will see.

DA is a backup QB. DA never lost his job, Mangini is giving this organization a shakedown. It is what it is.

The way some of you are acting, you should be ashamed(especially gips). It is like being in old munie with the drunks. They didn't know sheet either.

LOL....DA never lost his job? I seem to recall him losing it mid-2008 and then again to start off 2009. Perhaps you were asleep when that happened, eh?

LOL....DA never lost his job? I seem to recall him losing it mid-2008 and then again to start off 2009. Perhaps you were asleep when that happened, eh?

Oh come on Neb. DA started getting into "seasonal" form vs. the Bengals late in the game. Had a career start vs. the Giants. "Serviceable" starts vs. the Jags and Ravens. A bad one vs. the skins. It is DA. You will get some variability. He was benched because they wanted to see Quinn, but the seasons decline wasn't his fault alone. Just like Mangini wanted to see Quinn. I bet Mankok still can't believe how bad he is in game action. The preseason is now very 2007ish. Frye "beat" DA that preseason as well.

Oh come on Neb. DA started getting into "seasonal" form vs. the Bengals late in the game. Had a career start vs. the Giants. "Serviceable" starts vs. the Jags and Ravens. A bad one vs. the skins. It is DA. You will get some variability. He was benched because they wanted to see Quinn, but the seasons decline wasn't his fault alone. Just like Mangini wanted to see Quinn. I bet Mankok still can't believe how bad he is in game action. The preseason is now very 2007ish. Frye "beat" DA that preseason as well.

Whatever way you want to spin it dude. Spin away!

Spin? Nope. Just the way it is. Quinn is worse than poor ole backup potential DA. Reality sucks man. I wish Quinn was the man, but he ain't. When BE is highstepping into the endzone this Sunday after a TD catch, well, you get the picture.

Quinn may not be the man...there is no debating that. Its your spin that DA never lost his job that is whacked. DA sucks and is not the answer and has lost his job once and lost two QB competitions (I won't count the competition in Balt. since I don't know if he was really in it there....since Boller was so much better).

Quinn may not be the man...there is no debating that. Its your spin that DA never lost his job that is whacked. DA sucks and is not the answer and has lost his job once and lost two QB competitions (I won't count the competition in Balt. since I don't know if he was really in it there....since Boller was so much better).

DA isn't the answer after 2009, but he can provide stability for Mangini and get the team some W's and regain the lockerroom. Quinn sounds like cancer.

BQ should ask for a trade a good look at the nfl footage of the crap daboll had him doing with very limited options wont stop him from getting on a team as a starter or future starter...

As for mangini and the current browns and lerner screw em all...

This excuse never worked for DA and he has a great arm and a great ability to take secondaries apart. But somehow, BQ's poor arm and his total lack of awareness and poise, can be blamed on the coaches? Riiiiiight

RIP's a fraud. He tries to present logic based arguments then irrationally spins things that don't go his way.

DA was benched twice now by 2 different regimes to give Quinn playing time. The only factual thing that tells you is that both regimes didn't see DA as worth building a team around otherwise he'd have NEVER been benched.

I guess in RIP's world its called something else other than "losing your job". Whatever.

DA has never been in a real QB competition. Frye and Quinn were always the guys but because they sucked so bad they used DA as sort of a "match under their ass" tool. In the process, DA has never been coached up or treated like the starter and so his "bad decisions" which by the way are the EASIEST part of a QB's game to fix, have never been addressed. In fact, you can plan an entire offense around a guy who's only flaw is "bad decisions". Simply make the 1st and 2nd options, safer throws. Then, rocket arm can dump it off safely. When those options are covered, then he can take his shot. This will cut down the number of forced throws and make the QB's job eaiser. In the process, the game slows down for the QB and eventually, VIOLA!! You have a bonified starter.

Whay not do this with Quinn? Well well well. It's because Quinn has real trouble getting the ball to anybody who is moving. Watch the tape guys it's a fact. It's because his release is slow and the only way to speed that up is to short arm the throws which lead to inaccurate balls. Did I just say inaccurate balls? Ha! Anyway, the only way for him to get zip on his throws is going with the Tim Coach delivery. Using his entire body. This slows down his delivery and balls get there late. Thus, he cannot play at this level. And no coach or scheme will design plays where the targets stand still and wait so Quinn cannot play at this level.

Has anyone started the Kevin Kolb to Cleveland movement yet? I wanna be the 1st!!!!

This excuse never worked for DA and he has a great arm and a great ability to take secondaries apart. But somehow, BQ's poor arm and his total lack of awareness and poise, can be blamed on the coaches? Riiiiiight

I'm seeing some blame the coaches, some blame the team. It used to be all on DA. IF DA starts from here on and finishes near or above 50%, it'll be curious to see if he gets any credit from those who blame everyone but BQ.

Archived