THE BROWNS BOARD

I sense an imposter, what is REALLY going on here?

PlaygroundLegend

The Brady Quinn that we have seen thus far this season is NOT the Brady Quinn we have had the past 2 years, or the Brady Quinn that we saw in college. If he is the same Quarterback, then it must be the rest of the team and/or the coaches. One pice of evidence to support that fact was Derek Anderson coming into the game throwing 3 picks, theres something amiss outside of the QB's thats stoppping them from playing well, whether its the recievers inability to get seperation (hence DA holding the ball REALLY long and throwing into triple coverage) or the horrid line play and running game.

We have SEEN Quinn play better, we KNOW he has a cannon arm, as shown in this thread:

What is stopping him, lets watch some film and fugure it out, shall we?

As we can see in this film, Quinn has no problems moving the chains, and throwing the ball both short AND deep. Many of you will argue, "that is college, it means nothing" but that is just not true. Clearly he is willing to go downfield and pick the Defenses apart. One thing I notice is that Quinn had alot of PASSING formations and plays called. On Sunday, Quinn was 6/8 in the WHOLE half, he barely was even able to throw the ball, Derek however was allowed to throw the ball 18 times. How many passes did DA rip? 18? for 92 yards? If Quinn was allowed to pass 18 times he wouldve been somewhere around 13-18 and 80 yards. Not much different (and im sure he wouldnt have had 3 picks). Basically, I think Quinn needs to have a few move 4 WR sets called, as he had alot of that in college, this forced man coverage (and Single coverage) allowing him to move the ball downfield. We run mostly 2 WR's with a TE, not as many options to throw to + you get a rougher blitz.

Here we have Quinn in is first ever NFL appearance. He took what the D gave him, there was some dink and dunk, as well as some NICE intermediate throws, as well as a touchdown in tight coverage. This shows that we can squeeze a tight throw as well as methodically work an offense down the field. Yes, it was against a prevent, but he threw a redzone TD in tight coverage there. Yes he was playing against scrubs, but he was also playing WITH scrubs. Again, look at his confidence, he knows what he's doing and he's making it happen. He doesnt look as confident these days... Why is this? Is it the offense? Is it Mangini? My guess is that he has been told that he has a short leash therefore he has been playing not to loose rather than playing to win. This is the fault of Mangini's. I know ALOT of you love using examples of Ryan, Flacco, Brady, Rogers, and now maybe Sanchez to promote the fact that he should be playing better NOW. And thats all good and dandy, but what is the one thing different with all of their situations, they were given the reigns with NO leash. They were allowed to make mistakes to grow, Quinn has never had this chance. This is a problem Mangini has caused, Quinn has not been put into a situation to succeed.

Once again, I also want everyone to remember 2007 when Derek was out of the game for a series and Brady Quinn came in and threw 2 touchdowns that were dropped by Braylon Edwards.

Thread that needle, thats all I have to say. A Brady Quinn Touchdown on a PERFECTLY thrown ball.

A few highlights from that game as well as commentary. Quinn picks apart that D, and AVOIDS THE RUSH VERY NICELY.

Here is a video from THIS years preseason, it contains a few nice throws by quinn, both check downs AND intermediate passes, and of course the Touchdown to Braylon. That is the Brady we know, you cannot tell me that Brady Quinn is currently playing to his potential right now. What we have to figure out, is what OUTSIDE factors are contributing to this situation

Basically what im tring to narrow down is a comparison between what we see in the above videos, to what we have seen in the past few Sundays. What im not looking for are answers from some of you smart asses saying "well in those videos, Quinn doesnt suck, now... he does" I want to know what is the real difference, what had changed, is it the recievers getting open? Is it the pass protection? Is it Quinns willingness himself? Is it the playcalling? Maybe its the fact Quinn was under Chud for 2 years and now that he is in yet ANOTHER offense he still has to learn the ins and outs by practice? Who knows? I want some feedback here

I agree. something is different between the Quinn we saw last year and prior, to the Quinn we see this year. He doesnt look as fresh. Its looks like he's been up all night studying for a mid-term and is rolling into games kinda fuzzy. I personally believe its our Offensive co-ordinator. He has called really bad playes from the start and it doesnt even look like BQ is getting a chance to toss the ball.

I also think we have to realize that whenever we get the ball, it ends up being 2nd and 15 due to some dumb ass lineman or reciever getting a false start or illegal formation penalty. Were loosing out of the gate before our QB's ccan even take the helm. The line, and offense as a whole is playing like shit.

I watched all 4 years of Quinn @ ND. I love the kid. That same year Leinhart was the HT Winner. They both leave a lot to be desired.

Something is wrong with him, alright....he cannot see past the front 7 because he is skittish.

Boy needs to sack up. His chances are dwindling.

Thanks for putting all the links up its something ive been saying for 2 weeks now and whats up is the real question... there is something wrong with this whole thing and BQ is not playing in his natural form BQ appears to be restricted to a very scripted and coach called playbook almost as if its designed to be self defeating a highschool team could prepare for this stuff...

Yet DA comes out and goes immediately into 4 WR spread sets appearing to be calling his own stuff and i smell a skunk here i cant quite put my finger on it but its almost conspiracy like..perhaps mangini wanted the appearance that quinn sucks with the intent of starting DA once fans seen BQ sucked but he is Retarded if he thinks the fans would buy that...

(2)Most likely rather than let BQ run the offense wide open he just pulled him and put DA in who is more experienced with edwards either way i think mangini favored DA all along but this crap will backfire on him because those of us that watched bq in college know that setup is not his thing...this coach is a real snake and i no longer support him..

Yeah Playground is defintely the Lumbergh for Quinn, except without the vitrol. He's more of an innocent lamb compared to that snide asshole...

All we need now is that fag from youtube to make a "leave brady alone!" video.

I feel bad for the kid, he's definitely been poorly managed.

this is the best post or article i have read on the Browns and/or Brady Quinn...ever. It explains EVERYTHING. DONT TRADE BRADY. We need a new coach. NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never seen him like this in 12 preseason games and like 3 and a half regular games before this year. What the hell is going on?! You would think he would audible or just start slinging the ball to braylon

preseason=half speed. the Ravens are a real team and that's what it's really like to play in the AFCN.

wake up already, HE SUCKS!!!

denial is an absolutely amazing thing. i have always been impressed with how impressionable the human mind can be...how easily it is to brainwash. if it weren't so many things wouldn't ever take place, like religious zealouts, nazi germany, obama fever, homoerotic blind devotion to quinn...it goes on...

There is no blind denial here man

all im doing is comparing and contrasting previous Quinn to current Quinn and seeing what we get.

I 100% agree with the poster who said it looks as if their only giving Quinn half a playbook, Ive only seen Quinn in the 4 spread like twice so far, while derek gets a spread O the whole second half? Thats unreal, Daboll is a moron

Want to know what has me stumped?

Carl Smith sucks ass as a qb coach but was a pretty solid OC (for the Saints and Jags).

We have him as a qb coach, alright? This is the same guy that developed Couch into a 3-5 yard passer.

We have HIM working with Quinn?!

What was the staff smoking?

1. Brady Quinn never won the big game in college.

2. Brady Quinn fell in the draft because evaluators felt he lacked the accuracy on intermediate and deep throws. When Ted Ginn jr. a wr gets drafted by a team that desperately needs a QB, that should tell you something.

3. Brady Quinn held out and when he finally made it to camp, he didn't impress anybody to the extent that he was even considered to start.

4. The Browns could have unloaded Anderson after his pro bowl season, but didn't see enough in Quinn to let him go.

5. In his first full training camp with the Browns, Brady Quinn was unable to beat out Derek Anderson for the starting gig.

6. With no clear cut winner in this years QB competition, Brady Quinn gets the nod.

7. Brady Quinn gets pulled 2 and a half games into the season for Derek Anderson hoping it would give the team a spark.

I wanted to see what Brady Quinn could do this year. I really hoped he would step up as a leader and use his Football IQ to make some good decisions on the field. However, from what I have seen, and the fact he has been coached by NFL coaches for at least 5 years now, he doesn't possess the physical skills to play at this level. His footwork, his release, his accuracy.. terrible. At this point in the game he looks worse than Charlie Frye.

He did make some nice throws and some of those were basically thrown where they could have been intercepted but he needed to trust his receiver. The margin for error is much smaller in the NFL than in college and he may not trust himself

Quinn did not look nearly as big in that video, it is very possible that his body building has made it difficult to throw the ball accurately further down the field

1. Brady Quinn never won the big game in college.

That can be said of a lot of QBs coming in to the NFL, including the knock on the Manning boys (not comparing Quinn to them, but that the notion has any real weight)

2. Brady Quinn fell in the draft because evaluators felt he lacked the accuracy on intermediate and deep throws. When Ted Ginn jr. a wr gets drafted by a team that desperately needs a QB, that should tell you something.

You realize the people that made that move lost their jobs right after that season right?

3. Brady Quinn held out and when he finally made it to camp, he didn't impress anybody to the extent that he was even considered to start.

A bit of a falacy there. He was never given and opportunity to compete and seemed to impress everyone when he got into the preseason games.

4. The Browns could have unloaded Anderson after his pro bowl season, but didn't see enough in Quinn to let him go.

Uh, no one wanted him. He was a RFA, CLE tendered him a 1st and 3rd, no one signed him. DA also quickly took a below markter contract for a pro-bowl QB. That doesnt' happen when other teams are interested.

5. In his first full training camp with the Browns, Brady Quinn was unable to beat out Derek Anderson for the starting gig.

Um, DA was named the starting QB before the start of camp. There wasn't even a competition for Quinn to win. Not that I can really disagree with the staff when factoring in what DA did for the team over a good portion of the season.

6. With no clear cut winner in this years QB competition, Brady Quinn gets the nod.

Not sure what the point is, other than it doesn't say much for either QB.

7. Brady Quinn gets pulled 2 and a half games into the season for Derek Anderson hoping it would give the team a spark.

He sure did. Sadly the only spark it caused was on the BALT D.

and the fact he has been coached by NFL coaches for at least 5 years now,

Unless you are counting Weiss in college, Quinn has not been coached by NFL coaches for 5 years. He hasn't even been in the league that long.

His footwork,

This was actually one of his best attributes until this staff took over. Whether that's on him or the staff remains to be seen

Archived