THE BROWNS BOARD

Straight out of Dildofer's Mouth

Timugen

On Sportscenter after MNF, Dildofer was forced to account for why DA throws that pick into TRIPLE coverage after having all day in the pocket, and his response......

That he is concerned about DA making that throw, but what concerns him more is.....

"the lack of creativity by the Browns offense, throwing both of the quarterbacks under the bus."

Dildofer has been some Gospel to the Oregon Trail.

Perhaps 3 picks in one half of football tempered his Horseball-love just a bit.

Oh, and DA also topped the "C'Mon Man" (a dubious distinction, for those not familiar) segment of MNF Countdown, along with Mangina for his dip-shit decision to put him in.

I really dont understand why Quinn hasnt been treated with the respect EVERY other 1st round QB has been given..... ever... NO first round QB has ever not gotten a chance like this.... NEVER! Look that up in statistics. NOT ONE! He is being treated like shit, and being held back from development.

DA is starting this wek, terrible move, I won an imaginary $15 from sisky last week during the game on Dereks 3 interceptions.

This week its $5 for every pick 6 im betting on at least one.

I hope Quinn gets traded just to save his carreer, I rather have him traded to another team and win 3 superbowls with them than rot on our bench for 2 more years

I really dont understand why Quinn hasnt been treated with the respect EVERY other 1st round QB has been given..... ever... NO first round QB has ever not gotten a chance like this.... NEVER! Look that up in statistics. NOT ONE! He is being treated like shit, and being held back from development.

DA is starting this wek, terrible move, I won an imaginary $15 from sisky last week during the game on Dereks 3 interceptions.

I hope Quinn gets traded just to save his carreer, I rather have him traded to another team and win 3 superbowls with them than rot on our bench for 2 more years

Get the alcohol ready for sunday folks.

Well that is 2 coaching staffs that basically have said DA sucks, and we know that, but Quinn sucks more. I watched Quinn in 2 games this year and I was excited for him. But watching him play QB was unbearable. Now I get to watch the other unbearable guy. Wouldn't be so ba if the defense wasn't unbearable to watch.

Ryan Pontriband snapping to Zastidul - now that is poerty in motion.

Hmmm. It's not unprecedented:

Druckenmiller was drafted in the first round (26th overall) of the 1997 NFL Draft by the San Francisco 49ers. He played in only six games, completing 21 of 52 pass attempts while throwing only one touchdown pass and four interceptions. Following this unsuccessful stint in San Francisco, he was traded to the Miami Dolphins and subsequently released.

In 2001, he saw limited action as a backup with the Arena Football League's Los Angeles Avengers.

He also played for the Memphis Maniax of the XFL in Memphis, TN in 2001.

Todd Marinovich also comes to mind.

I'm sure I could think of others, but I'd bet the common denominator would be that they went on to undistinguished careers.

The kid slid mightily in the draft. The Crennel regime didn't have enough faith to put him under center until it was pretty much out of options. We've seen some wildly erratic passes that have had to travel 25 years in the air and some very skiddish QB play.

That said, unless Anderson somehow comes out and lights it up, he'll still get his chances. Aikman had to battle Walsh for his position. Brees came alive when he had Rivers breating down his neck -- competition exposes a man one way or another. Come back in and EARN the position, Brady. You will get your chance. I don't want to hear excuses. Don't be Tim Couch.

Its impossible to completely ignore two factors related to Quinn's draft status:

1) It was Phil Savage (now terminated) who made the selection and

2) Quinn slid from a rumored top 5 pick to 20-whatever-it-was.

I think the notable point mitigating number "2" was the list of teams not looking for a QB after Miami.

2) Quinn slid from a rumored top 5 pick to 20-whatever-it-was.

I think the notable point mitigating number "2" was the list of teams not looking for a QB after Miami.

Actually, that's a bit of a misnomer.

Between Miami and Cleveland were:

the Texans who, with Quinn sitting on the board, swapped their first-round pick in the 2007 NFL Draft (8th overall) with the Atlanta Falcons for their first-round pick (10th overall) as part of the deal to acquire QB Matt Schaub.

the Bills, who selected their current starting QB Trent Edwards in the third round of that same draft.

the Rams who had an aging Marc Bulger backed up by a not so young Todd Bouman and Brock Berlin.

the Panthers traded out of the #10 spot with aging QB Jake Delhomme as their starter and reclamation project David Carr as their back up.

the Jets probably couldn't have seen that Pennington would be benched for ineffective play in 2007, but he was an aging QB with a history of injury backed up Clemens. True Clemens was a second round pick, but if the Jets thought a franchise QB had dropped in their laps, there is no reason to think they wouldn't have snagged him.

the Jags released Leftwich that season and handed their starting job to an unproven Garrard without much behind him at the position.

Any team could have traded up to get Quinn like we did. That included the Lions who drafted Stanten in the second round, the Ravens who drafted Smith in the fifth round (and Flacco the next draft), the Eagles who drafted Kolb high in the second round in a trade with Dallas to get the second round pick we traded for Quinn, and the Dolphins who took Beck with the 40th pick. Tell me the Bears didn't need a franchise QB and still had a first round pick for 2007 to offer.

It wasn't that teams didn't need a franchise QB. It was that they were not "looking" to draft one based on who was available. No other team was willing to give up what Opie gave up to get him. God knows if Philly would have taken Kolb or Miami would have taken Beck over Quinn. My bet is that if Reed & Co. had their choice between Couch and McNabb in '99, the pick would have been the same.

There are probably good reasons why. The frustrating part is not knowing what they are.

Actually, that's a bit of a misnomer.

It is and it isn't. One must also factor in each teams current situation, pressing needs, and investments at QB.

Between Miami and Cleveland were:

the Texans who, with Quinn sitting on the board, swapped their first-round pick in the 2007 NFL Draft (8th overall) with the Atlanta Falcons for their first-round pick (10th overall) as part of the deal to acquire QB Matt Schaub.

The board wasn't even started when the Texans made that trade. They made the trade in March. There was no guarantee Quinn would be on the board when they drafted. They also were only a few years removed from drafting a QB #1 overall, which cost them a pretty penny.

the Bills, who selected their current starting QB Trent Edwards in the third round of that same draft.

The Bill had drafted Losman in the 2004 draft and still slightly hedging for him to pan out at the time.

the Rams who had an aging Marc Bulger backed up by a not so young Todd Bouman and Brock Berlin.

Bulger was coming off a terrific year and was all of 28/29 years old at the time. More pressing needs than a QB in the first round.

the Panthers traded out of the #10 spot with aging QB Jake Delhomme as their starter and reclamation project David Carr as their back up.

I can see the argument that CAR could have an interest in a QB at the time. But I believe they had other needs in mind. They also got a pretty nice deal out of that trade back.

the Jets probably couldn't have seen that Pennington would be benched for ineffective play in 2007, but he was an aging QB with a history of injury backed up Clemens. True Clemens was a second round pick, but if the Jets thought a franchise QB had dropped in their laps, there is no reason to think they wouldn't have snagged him.

The Jets at the time thought they had a potential franchise QB already drop in their lap when they drafted Clemens.

the Jags released Leftwich that season and handed their starting job to an unproven Garrard without much behind him at the position.

You don't draft a QB in round 1 to be your backup. If you have just handed the starting job to an unproven Garrard, you don't bring in a first round pick QB to be an unproven back up to an unproven starter.

Any team could have traded up to get Quinn like we did. That included the Lions who drafted Stanten in the second round, the Ravens who drafted Smith in the fifth round (and Flacco the next draft), the Eagles who drafted Kolb high in the second round in a trade with Dallas to get the second round pick we traded for Quinn, and the Dolphins who took Beck with the 40th pick. Tell me the Bears didn't need a franchise QB and still had a first round pick for 2007 to offer.

And rumors during and after the draft were that other teams were trying to jump up, just like CLE did, to get Quinn.

It wasn't that teams didn't need a franchise QB. It was that they were not "looking" to draft one based on who was available.

There is some truth to that, but their is also truth that their were a good number of teams that didn't have a need for a QB. At least not a pressing one.

Archived