THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns quarterback drama continues

Chicopee John

Associated Press

BEREA, Ohio -- Brady Quinn's reign as the unquestioned leader of the Browns' offense didn't even last three games.

Cleveland again has a quarterback quandary, though this one isn't expected to last nearly as long as the first.

After taking the entire preseason to choose Quinn as his starter over Derek Anderson, Browns coach Eric Mangini said he will announce on Wednesday who will start this week against Cincinnati (2-1).

"We'll go back and look at the game and look at some other things," Mangini said Monday, without elaborating what those "other things" entail. "Look at the operation when both guys are in and then look at who gives us the best chance to move the ball consistently."

Quinn was yanked at halftime after throwing an interception, failing to generate any points and producing five first downs on Cleveland's five first-half possessions. By the time Anderson entered, the Browns (0-3) were buried in a 20-0 hole and forced to pass on nearly every play. Anderson threw three interceptions in the second half.

"There's nobody happy with where we are right now," Mangini said. "That's across the board."

Where are the Browns?

• They're last in the league in total offense and 29th in total defense.

• Now that Detroit has won a game, Cleveland's nine-game losing streak is the second-longest in the league behind St. Louis. The Browns' lone offensive touchdown over that span came during the final minute of a blowout loss to Minnesota in the opener.

• Quinn's passer rating of 62.9 ranks 29th among the league's 32 starting quarterbacks.

• The Browns have converted 6 of 30 third-down opportunities with Quinn at quarterback.

"What I look at is what gives us the best chance to win the next game," Mangini said. "That's the most important thing. Both guys did some things on Sunday that are positive. When you have turnovers, it's hard. You've got to be able to move the ball consistently. You've got to take advantage of opportunities that are there."

Quinn has relied on his tight ends and running backs in developing a short passing game that has nearly ignored the Browns' top offensive playmaker, receiver Braylon Edwards.

Edwards has 10 catches and has failed to score a touchdown through three games. He has been mysteriously quiet since Sunday's loss, declining to speak to reporters after the game and not making himself available during the open locker room session on Monday.

"We're frustrated, too," linebacker David Bowens said. "But we have 53 men on this roster that are men and willing to stand up and be accountable and correct things. It's three games. People say it's the end of the world, but to us it's not. We have a game on Sunday that we're preparing for. We watched the film on Baltimore, got our corrections, got it behind us and now we're moving forward."

As if Mangini didn't have enough problems to worry about on the field, players union spokesman George Atallah confirmed on Sunday that the NFLPA has filed a formal grievance over Mangini fining a player $1,701 for not paying a hotel for a $3 bottle of water.

Mangini dismissed the grievance as nothing unusual.

"Grievances are common. People grieve with every single team," Mangini said. "It's not unique at all. I guess what would be more surprising is if 90 percent of fines aren't grieved. That's not just with us. That's any team."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

No drama at all DA will most likely start...even though it is impossible to properly evaluate bq based on the crap daboll/mangini had him doing but i have had a gut feeling mangini was going to pull something like this but his dishonest waffling ways wont get him anywhere but out the door hopefully with the owner...

Its hard to beleive that BQ has regressed to the point where he has zero confidence or support. Talk about a well laid plan going to shit.

I just wish Mangini would let us know what he's up to. I'd love to think Mangini knows that the result of all this turmoil will bring the team closer as a winning unit, but then again i've been watching alot feel good movies lately.

Its hard to beleive that BQ has regressed to the point where he has zero confidence or support. Talk about a well laid plan going to shit.

I just wish Mangini would let us know what he's up to. I'd love to think Mangini knows that the result of all this turmoil will bring the team closer as a winning unit, but then again i've been watching alot feel good movies lately.

After a training camp of evaluation (alledgedly), Mangini determined that BQ gave the Browns a better chance to win than did DA.

What does that say about DA??

OBR says Quinn checked down 80% of the time in three games and 70% of the time he failed to let a play develop (from "sources"). The sense is that Quinn is being micromanaged into paranoia, told NOT to take shots. There are also rumors that behind the scenes he desperately wants out of Cleveland and thinks it's a huge mess for any quarterback.

If there is any truth to Quinn being micromanaged into paranoia and being specifically told not to take shots, then he should want to get out of town. If I was either QB at this point, I'd want out of Dodge too.

OBR says Quinn checked down 80% of the time in three games and 70% of the time he failed to let a play develop (from "sources"). The sense is that Quinn is being micromanaged into paranoia, told NOT to take shots. There are also rumors that behind the scenes he desperately wants out of Cleveland and [b/thinks it's a huge mess for any quarterback.[/b]

Huh. Who would have thunk?

OBR says Quinn checked down 80% of the time in three games and 70% of the time he failed to let a play develop (from "sources"). The sense is that Quinn is being micromanaged into paranoia, told NOT to take shots. There are also rumors that behind the scenes he desperately wants out of Cleveland and thinks it's a huge mess for any quarterback.

Seems Patty Mac is hearing similar things too.

Well, that sounds about right to me. It would explain a lot about why the offense looks so stunted: because it's intentionally so.

Again, it's looking more and more like Mangini wants human beings to act like chess pieces in his own little game rather than being a coach who helps players achieve their highest potential.

Not a good sign at all.

this is Bull.... Quinn is not being micromanaged..... for god sake His contract and being the starter makes him MILLIONS.... This trend started after ONE defensive scheme adjustment after the Denver game.

Just like the Defensive scheme adjustment for DA (which he still believes too much in his arm throwing downfield into double and triple coverage...)

They both have their weaknesses Quinn mainly is that he was never NFL caliber in arm strength and accuracy DA is well being Retarded at times and believing he has superhuman powers to throw across his body, into double or triple coverage, laser blasting short throws...

this is Bull.... Quinn is not being micromanaged.....

It may be bull, but that's now two sources saying similar things (see First and 27 from Patty Mac). He is saying very similar things.

"8) The great mystery of this early season is what happened to Brady Quinn. A year ago, he threw for 239 yards and two touchdowns against Denver, then threw for 185 yards in a win over Buffalo. In that game he guided the Browns on a 96-yard touchdown drive, and led the team to the game-winning field goal. This season he’s looked lost. The difference? Clearly he has no confidence. Insiders say he’s been so programmed to avoid the mistake he was playing scared, which is impossible. It’s the only reason Derek Anderson might change things, because if he’ll do anything he’ll take chances. The Browns would have to live with his interceptions, but he’d also get the ball down the field. Quinn was so tied in knots by this coaching staff that he could not do a thing. I’m not at all sure, though, that Mangini is the kind of coach who will live with interceptions. Me, I’d start Anderson and hope for a miracle against the Bengals like Phil Savage got two years ago. There’s an inherent risk because Anderson pretty well figures this is his last season in Cleveland so he’s just going to go out and wing it. But … nothing ventured, nothing gained. And at this point, the Browns have to venture somewhere and try something."

Dan I would like to talk about something else.... I dont truly believe its the oline nor the defense or the skill players that is our problem. Its either a little bit of both or one Daboll or the QB position that is destroying this team.

I happen to think its both right now, one main problem is the offense cant sustain a drive which kills the defense by fatigue. I dont like Daboll's playcalling but is it because his percieved strengths and weaknesses for Quinn or is it that he just sucks?

Lets say Quinn does not have downfield strength or accuracy, than why dont we see more west coast spread type sets in a total offensive plan? 5 recievers or 4 with a rb all of the damn time and run out of that formation on quick hitting plays... I just dont get it.

IF this is all Quinn than he is already yanked and than we will see how daboll can scheme control derek I believe i have mutant arm powers Anderson.....

If the other team is going to pull all their D into the box, they need to draw up plays for Quinn to take a risk of throwing an int, and bomb it out down the sidelines. 7 step drop, cock it back, let it go. DA does it all the goddamn time and it results in interceptions so who cares if quinn does.

I blame Madden for all of this. We have a nation of men who think good entertaining football is chucking it down the field on go routes on 1st 2nd and 3rd down is the "proper" way to play football.

Sigh......

I presume you are refering to EA's Madden football with that one. :D

Here you go Sev,

I plucked this out of one on of the mangini threads

Try some reason with your hate

You can quit on your coach and still have a job in this league if you're good enough to play. But if the Browns haven't quit on Mangini, if they actually were trying on Sunday, then they're beyond help. Then there are about 30 of them who don't belong in the NFL. I could list the 30, but it would be easier to just say: the Cleveland defense, the Cleveland offensive line, both Cleveland quarterbacks, every Cleveland running back, Braylon Edwards, and various and sundry Cleveland special team players.

Its alot more than any QB we have on this roster that is creating this suckage and with DA your going to see some pretty long balls but it will look like special teams when the D runs them back the other way and some think this will be more entertaining because maybe one of those long balls might get caught,

This is just lunacy...

As far as mangini is concerned its better to let DA chuck it for pick 6s then it is to let BQ get any nfl experience and fan evaluation doing the same in 4 WR sets...

This guy cant be fired soon enough he really lacks what it takes to be a serious HC...with him it seems to be about the little things that dont matter much instead of the big picture that really matters..

He replaced 22 players on the roster and appears to be hiding the fact he missed bad on draft day the replacements from NY are mediocre and i dont like his dishonest demeanor and tyrant like ways he is a little boy in a a big boys game...

Archived