THE BROWNS BOARD

Imagine that you're Mangini. Who's does he pick at QB?

crbengal

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who does he pick?

• Brady Quinn
    • Derek Anderson
    • Brett Ratliff
    • Josh Cribbs

Ok, so imagine that you are Eric Mangini and you get to decide on the starting QB. Who do you pick against the Bengals?

I say that he goes with Brady Quinn. Even though Anderson was making plays against the Raven and the offense moved while he was in, he is a turnover machine. Brady Quinn may not move the offense well or make big plays, but he does not turn the ball over. If you have a guy that doesn't turn the ball over, even if he doesn't make the offense move very well, he lets your team stay in the game. I would much rather stay in the game than have to risk it just to get a win.

What do you all think?

DA ,Quinns the fall guy till DA implodes yet again with double digit interceptions then the entire board will finally agree that we need a better QB.

I predict DA hits double digit picks inside of two more starts.

I have some friends that say Brett Ratliff is a really talented player...I don't really know much about him though

If DA would have shown any reason at all to have faith in him, then I would say that Mankok starts DA. But, after throwing 3 picks and making some completely moronic throws into double and triple coverage, DA appears to be a fish out of water. He is worthless, and I believe even Mangini can see that. With all that said, nothing would shock me. I wouldn't even mind it if he decided to see what Cribbs could do under center. What does this team have to lose?

I have some friends that say Brett Ratliff is a really talented player...I don't really know much about him though

Richard Bartle killed him in preseason, yet was released. Go figure.

If DA would have shown any reason at all to have faith in him, then I would say that Mankok starts DA. But, after throwing 3 picks and making some completely moronic throws into double and triple coverage, DA appears to be a fish out of water. He is worthless, and I believe even Mangini can see that. With all that said, nothing would shock me. I wouldn't even mind it if he decided to see what Cribbs could do under center. What does this team have to lose?

I'm not a DA apologist but c'mon, he was thrown into a game down 20-0 with absolutely no preparation mentally. He was told he was going in as they were jogging out to the field. yes, 3 picks is terrible but DA is not the reason we imploded. The implosion already happened and DA was trying to gunsling us out of it. Now if DA started, threw 3 picks and we went INTO halftime down 20-0, well that is a different story.

I didn't see Donavon McNabb in the poll but I vote we trade DA for him. The Eagles have a Kolb and Vick now. Even with Donavon hurt, I'd start him this week.

So they have kolb and vick, and they would want DA why????

I'm not a DA apologist but c'mon, he was thrown into a game down 20-0 with absolutely no preparation mentally. He was told he was going in as they were jogging out to the field. yes, 3 picks is terrible but DA is not the reason we imploded. The implosion already happened and DA was trying to gunsling us out of it. Now if DA started, threw 3 picks and we went INTO halftime down 20-0, well that is a different story.

He didn't have any prep for cincy 07 either, didn't seem to affect him then.

Nice excuse though.

As a backup QB in the NFL, it is your J O B to be mentally prepared to go into the game and play at any time, under any circumstance.

3 very bad picks are still 3 very bad picks (that could have been 4 or 5), no matter how you slice it. You don't need prep time to know not to throw into triple coverage.

Don't make excuses for him, he threw 3 picks. He was running with the ones in practice 3 weeks ago, its not like he's been sitting on the bench all season or he didn't already start in the this league for almost 2 years. You can't make excuses for being careless with the ball. If your mentality is to be a gunslinger, then you'd better hit the guys in brown and orange with your rockets.

So they have kolb and vick, and they would want DA why????

I'm sure they have absolutely no interest in DA, I was just trying to throw them a bone so they wouldn't charge us a 1st rounder for McNabb. Maybe with DA, we could get him for a 3rd or 4th rounder.

I didn't see Donavon McNabb in the poll but I vote we trade DA for him. The Eagles have a Kolb and Vick now. Even with Donavon hurt, I'd start him this week.

Whoa, the Eagles would want to trade a great QB for a mediocre to bad QB when they already have a good back up and a dog killing WildDawg QB. Someone is in "dreaming up illogical trades so I don't have to think how crappy my team is" mode big time.

I actually picked DA not because BQ sucks but because the offense mangini/daboll had him in was boring and unbearable at least DA will be free to make mistakes or good throws not caught that get returned for 6 it should help push fats 2 the waffleman out the door faster so we can hire "the eraser" next year to set things right...;)

Did you watch the second half? If those picks were even close to being reasonable throws, then I would give DA a break. But, they were the same thing as they have always been...throws into coverage that never should be made. He has no field vision. He stares down his receiver and throws to his first read 95% of the time. This is the NFL. His 1st read will not be available all the time. He has to at least look at another receiver, even if it is just to look off the defense. If he is eyeing Braylon (or anyone else) from the snap, he WILL throw a pick more often than not. Especially throwing into triple coverage. He has done it for years. He will always do it. Brady may not have the arm of DA and he may not take as many chances. But he does protect the ball and give his OC the chance to call a play that could actually result in a gain of yardage. DA thinks that it they are better off with the defense on the field, so he just gives the opposing team the ball. Evidenced in that Quinn has thrown 3 picks in 10 quarters of play this year as opposed to DA's 3 picks in 2 quarters. DA also threw more picks in the preseason. No team can win, or even have a chance to win, if their QB is throwing picks in half of their possessions.

Did you watch the second half? If those picks were even close to being reasonable throws, then I would give DA a break. But, they were the same thing as they have always been...throws into coverage that never should be made. He has no field vision. He stares down his receiver and throws to his first read 95% of the time. This is the NFL. His 1st read will not be available all the time. He has to at least look at another receiver, even if it is just to look off the defense. If he is eyeing Braylon (or anyone else) from the snap, he WILL throw a pick more often than not. Especially throwing into triple coverage. He has done it for years. He will always do it. Brady may not have the arm of DA and he may not take as many chances. But he does protect the ball and give his OC the chance to call a play that could actually result in a gain of yardage. DA thinks that it they are better off with the defense on the field, so he just gives the opposing team the ball. Evidenced in that Quinn has thrown 3 picks in 10 quarters of play this year as opposed to DA's 3 picks in 2 quarters. DA also threw more picks in the preseason. No team can win, or even have a chance to win, if their QB is throwing picks in half of their possessions.

couldn't have said it better myself

DA was doing his typical force job, trying to impress. A week to settle down, he may calm down and play better though the brain farts and lack of pure passing will always be his problems.

Ratliff(as I consider him the key to the Sanchez deal) probably is who Mangini really wants, but I don't think it is politically viable to start him now.

If I were Mangini, I'd start DA, let him implode for a few games (probably 2.5), then start Ratliff since that's been my plan all along.

If it were ME but I just had Mangini's position and had put myself into this position, I'd ride DA until the end of the year. Quinn is no good now because he can no longer trust me, and I'd be looking to trade him to prevent any locker room blowups.

Additionally, since I had claimed this was a locker room decision at halftime (interesting, the inmates are running the asylum), I alreayd know that no one has confidence, or they just don't like, Brady Quinn.

Either way, Quinn is done in CLE. I'm going to try to recoup as much as I can and hope that those rumored trades we were offered for Quinn during the offseason don't get out from confirmed sources.

If I were Mangini, I'd start DA, let him implode for a few games (probably 2.5), then start Ratliff since that's been my plan all along.

If it were ME but I just had Mangini's position and had put myself into this position, I'd ride DA until the end of the year. Quinn is no good now because he can no longer trust me, and I'd be looking to trade him to prevent any locker room blowups.

Additionally, since I had claimed this was a locker room decision at halftime (interesting, the inmates are running the asylum), I alreayd know that no one has confidence, or they just don't like, Brady Quinn.

Either way, Quinn is done in CLE. I'm going to try to recoup as much as I can and hope that those rumored trades we were offered for Quinn during the offseason don't get out from confirmed sources.

I think Mangini's comment of it being a locker room decision, was not that it was made by the people/players in the locker room, but rather he made the decision while in the locker room during half time (i.e. he didn't make the decision until some point while in the locker at half time).

I think Mangini's comment of it being a locker room decision, was not that it was made by the people/players in the locker room, but rather he made the decision while in the locker room during half time (i.e. he didn't make the decision until some point while in the locker at half time).

Maybe superficially. But the rumors of players not like Quinn probably has some backbone. My guess is Mangini could not stand Quinn anymore and ended the experiment early as players were also complaining loudly at halftime.

At this point in time, I'm not even sure if the QB is the problem here. Put them both in. Same time. Let them fight over the ball when it get's hiked. Would be a lot more entertaining then what has been on the field in the last 3 weeks.

I think this coaching staff is the real issue. And if I was Lerner, then muffin top would be on thin ice along with Daboll and everyone else...

Quinn should be our starter for the rest of the season with the staff 100% behind him. Unfortunatly this spineless coach refuses to do this. I love the quote " Im going with whoever I think gives us the best chance to win" Bull, Ive got a bulletin, we arnt going to win shit this year. Its time to start building the chemistry of this team. DA is nothing for us for the future. We have alot of problems worst than quarterback however we Browns fans love to beat up our QB's.

When we had something going with Couch and he led us to the playoffs we started that pussy Holcomb and Cleveland fans booed when Couch was hurt. (reminder that he is the last QB to get us to the playoffs) Now we have a chance with a young Brady Quinn and everyone has quit on him already.

Mangini is an idiot. Our play calling is pathetic and personel use is terrible. Why we consistantly run with Cribbs, Edwards, 2 tight ends and Vickers in 3rd and long situations is beyond me.

Its time to have some patience with the players. Aikman was 1-15 his first season, Manning threw 30 picks, and you can go on and on.

Maybe superficially. But the rumors of players not like Quinn probably has some backbone. My guess is Mangini could not stand Quinn anymore and ended the experiment early as players were also complaining loudly at halftime.

Come on now. There was only one rumor of that, perpetrated on message boards (including this one), following the Shaun Smith incident last season. There has not been one reported sotry or rumor of players not liking Quinn from a single credible source outside of the message boards and blog-o-sphere

He didn't have any prep for cincy 07 either, didn't seem to affect him then.

Nice excuse though.

Actually... Anderson came in with the Browns down against Pittsburgh, and kinda sucked (but not as bad as Frye) while the Browns lost 34-7... then came in against Cincinnati with several days of prep.

Situation's quite similar this time if DA gets the start.

Except Cincy is a much better team on defense than they were in 2007

Maybe, but the Steelers went through them like a "Mack" truck. I mean, the Bengals had no business being in that game late. The Packers also picked up quite a few yards. So the Browns offense isn't nearly as good, I still can see them getting points if the QB would make some plays and stop the misses(like Quinn with MMass in Denver).

Another reason why Anderson had such a big game in the first Cincy game was because the Bengals were coming off a Monday nighter and were gassed....plus DA was fresh and they went with the base defense. Obviously by seasons end, the Bengals had adapted.

Archived