THE BROWNS BOARD

How Bad is our Offense?

WPB Dawg Fan

Yes, I know. Watching our offense is like watching paint dry...but here are some points to ponder:

Minnesota is the #4 overall defense to date, giving up only 259.7 yards per game. The Browns managed 268 yards, BETTER than their average. They are also #4 vs the pass at 167.7. BQ got 179 yards vs the, BETTER than the other 2 teams (Det/SF).

Denver is the #1 overall defense to date, giving up only 214.7 yards per game. The Browns managed 200 of them, so we were close to the average. They are also the #2 passing defense, giving up 136.3 yards per game. BQ got 146, actually BETTER than the other 2 teams (Cinci/Oak).

Baltimore is the #7 overall defense, giving up 282.7 yards per game...we shit the bed at 187....and I know we don't need to get into the passing game as that was atrocious.

The biggest problem is that we are averaging WELL below on the rushing game. Denver (78.4, we got 54), Minnesota (82, we got 89 which was decent), Baltimore (92.7, we got 71). When 89 is the TOP game, you know you are not lighting it up.

So, looking at the stats, you will see that BQ has actually done BETTER vs like competition than 4 other QB's....while the Baltimore game he got pulled despite going 6/8....where I think a change in ATTACK would have been better than a change in QB's.

The offense, overall, has struggled....but keep in mind that at the start of the season, we have actually done BETTER than the other opponents of these TOP RATED DEFENSES!

Coming up we have Cincinnati (#16 overall, #19 pass, #11 rush) and Buffalo (#28 overall, #28 pass, #18 rush). If we struggle against THESE 2 teams, we know we have a problem. This is why I think we NEED to start BQ. DA has already proven he can feast or famine against them (just see 2007 Cinci for proof).

Thanks, John. IMO, I think BQ is done here. Maybe the idea of pulling him was to give him a wake up call and show him it's ok to throw downfield and get intercepted (a la Anderson).

If so, then I hope it worked. I think we all know who is the starter for a few games at least. Then Mangini can bring in Ratliff and the suck can be reach mythical proportions of suck.

There is no doubt the first 3 games were against very stout defenses with denver being an unexpectedly and severely underrated group but this is the nfl we as fans expect the coaches to prepare the browns to be competitive regardless but our OC and his boss decided to play more mindless Retarded mangini games with our starting QB and really horse collared his and our chances of early success from the start with their rediculous over-conservative scripts and very limited qb options in their playcalling..this is a complete mishandling of our qb situation and a poorly devised coverup that followed of who is really at fault for our offensive failures thusfar...

Our offense is "that bad" that regardless of what sets or schemes we use or even who is coaching we are dependant on mistakes by the defenses we play but something i find disturbing is we as fans have known since chud opened this offense up that this offense lacks the capability to use a ball control offense however mangini didnt seem to get it at all the fact is we are so bad at WR/route running and blocking that taking the shot downfield has always been our best option over the past 4 years...

Mangini's its not my fault attitude violates his own accountability policy ,poor offensive management and throwing BQ under the bus without a true unchained or honest evaluation while unexpectly setting DA loose with no restrictions and causing unwanted attention to randy lerner has likely predetermined his fate and turned much of the fanbase against him at the same time and he can hold no one accountable but himself for his bumbling of this team and his poor evaluation of the talent he has to work with and the schemes he applied or approved of..instead he tries to scoot the blame away from himself and daboll by blaming BQ for a situation Mangini created...

If mangini owns up to his own suck and puts BQ back out on the field and unleashes him so we can get a true evaluation i think he could buy himself another chance and at that point even redeem his reasoning for limiting bqs options if bq does suck.. honestly i would expect to see bq having the exact same problems DA has with balls being forced into coverage and no talented WRs...and if bq cant force himself to throw at our sluggy always covered WRs by all means put DA in at that point...

This made me think and go back to look at last years first 3 games.

For those that don't remember, CLE started 0-3 last season with the following lines from the starting QB:

vs DAL 11/24, 114 yards, 4.8 Y/A, 0 INT, 1 TD, 74QBR

vs PIT 18/32, 166 yards, 5.2 Y/A, 2 INT, 0 TD, 44.5QBR

vs BAL 14/37, 125 yards, 3.4 Y/A, 3 INT, 1 TD, 22.9QBR

Is this years start really all that worse w/ a different guy under center, with less weapons on offense this year than last year?

This made me think and go back to look at last years first 3 games.

For those that don't remember, CLE started 0-3 last season with the following lines from the starting QB:

vs DAL 11/24, 114 yards, 4.8 Y/A, 0 INT, 1 TD, 74QBR

vs PIT 18/32, 166 yards, 5.2 Y/A, 2 INT, 0 TD, 44.5QBR

vs BAL 14/37, 125 yards, 3.4 Y/A, 3 INT, 1 TD, 22.9QBR

Is this years start really all that worse w/ a different guy under center, with less weapons on offense this year than last year?

how quickly we all forget

Really doesn't matter. Forget about the QB. We just had a team score 3 rushing TDs without as much as a finger laid on the RBs, and the young QB Flacco had a career day passing. Incredible how pathetic we've become as a team since 1999. It's necessary that you have the guy @ QB but I'm not sure this team could win with Quinn or Anderson minus a D and a running game.

What is the mystery surrounding Robiskie ?

If I were to speculate, I'd suspect he's been in some kind of doghouse because of his initial hold out. But that would be pure rumor-esc speculation by me.

Yes, I know. Watching our offense is like watching paint dry...but here are some points to ponder:

Minnesota is the #4 overall defense to date, giving up only 259.7 yards per game. The Browns managed 268 yards, BETTER than their average. They are also #4 vs the pass at 167.7. BQ got 179 yards vs the, BETTER than the other 2 teams (Det/SF).

Denver is the #1 overall defense to date, giving up only 214.7 yards per game. The Browns managed 200 of them, so we were close to the average. They are also the #2 passing defense, giving up 136.3 yards per game. BQ got 146, actually BETTER than the other 2 teams (Cinci/Oak).

Baltimore is the #7 overall defense, giving up 282.7 yards per game...we shit the bed at 187....and I know we don't need to get into the passing game as that was atrocious.

The biggest problem is that we are averaging WELL below on the rushing game. Denver (78.4, we got 54), Minnesota (82, we got 89 which was decent), Baltimore (92.7, we got 71). When 89 is the TOP game, you know you are not lighting it up.

So, looking at the stats, you will see that BQ has actually done BETTER vs like competition than 4 other QB's....while the Baltimore game he got pulled despite going 6/8....where I think a change in ATTACK would have been better than a change in QB's.

The offense, overall, has struggled....but keep in mind that at the start of the season, we have actually done BETTER than the other opponents of these TOP RATED DEFENSES!

Coming up we have Cincinnati (#16 overall, #19 pass, #11 rush) and Buffalo (#28 overall, #28 pass, #18 rush). If we struggle against THESE 2 teams, we know we have a problem. This is why I think we NEED to start BQ. DA has already proven he can feast or famine against them (just see 2007 Cinci for proof).

THEY ARE ALL TOP TEN DEFENSES....CAUSE THEY PLAYED THE BROWNS! Don't be surprised if both Cincy and Buff don't move up in Defensive cats...after playing CB...take note

I would love to see what Zombo and Atenears would have to say about this

I would say that Quinn played some really uninspired QB regardless of the competition. He wasn't making any plays, seemed to be scared in the pocket ... and needed to be replaced.

Skippy would say you are all a bunch of homos, Lumbergh was right, this is a total trap game coming up, bet the house on the Browns ... guaranteed, and if you're going to cry about it then don't let the door hit ya on your way over to dawgbones.

Zombo

which is why I showed you that we did BETTER THAN THEIR AVERAGE in 2 out of 3 games...please double check the info.

John we went through this very same exercise last season when the wheels came off. We're losing - knowing why seems so empty anymore. We've been doing it for quite some time that there really is nowhere to go from here but straight to apathy.

how quickly we all forget

The only people who forgot how horrendous DA was last year were Stan, Zombo and Lums.

The rest of us aren't wearing ass-colored glasses and trying to suckle the shit out of Anderson's anus, thinking that maybe this time it'll taste like turkish delight.

I will forever laugh at the "Trap Game" statement from now on. After ATE's trap game announcement was proven to be off course.

Now that I think of it, maybe im giving atenears too much shit, the day of and the days before the baltimore game he was in support of Quinn and said it was going to be his busting on the scene game.... you however (Zombo) I think actually believe that DA is better. Ive come to the conclusion that Atenears is messing with all of us

Ive come to the conclusion that Atenears is messing with all of us

LOL.

Can't pull the wool over your eyes.

And yes ... I think Anderson's better.

But I'm not alone ... There's Trent Dilfer, Chris Carter, Bill Lumbergh, Eric Mangini...

Zombo

WOW except for maybe Mangini, I'm not sure that list of 'experts' is one I'd want to align myself with......

Obviously not.

But I think we're right and you're wrong.

Let's compare notes 4:20 on Sunday.

Zombo

WOW except for maybe Mangini, I'm not sure that list of 'experts' is one I'd want to align myself with......

Not to mention Dilfer has backed off that. He was just saying in an article that Chuds O fit Quinn better and this O fits DA better. But both are good QBs who are beind done a disservice.

So how about Gruden saying Quinn is good, Jaws, and Steve Young saying it as well?

Archived