THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini: Worst coaching hire ever?

Chicopee John

I guess I kinda agree with you 5 years is a while. But you also said that nobody has ever gotten 5 years here so how do you know it doesn't work?

Ummm....because those that did WON! lol

""""I'm saying he needs 5 years... That doesn't go for just Mangini that would apply to anybody who took this job."""""""

And i think that's BS!

"""2nd owner and 4th coach. You cannot tell me that is a recipe for success,,,, look at the talent on those teams compared to ours."""' I've answered that

Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, and Marvin Harrison did in this point of their careers..........look at the QB's they had....

after 5 years if the team sucks, you fire him...NO! That's what the Browns have done...if this guy doesn't Evaluate, Motivate and inspire his team....CAN HIM. Because this is the guy Drafting for our future....If he can't evaluate...Please don't let him draft....this is why 10 years out and the most horrific drafting in the league, we are where we are....Plain and simple. If davis hit on his draft picks or savage/ hit....Davis would probably still be here and so would Rac.

"But at least we will have something established to build off of then."

That don't work either cause new regime comes in and....Purges team and gets guys They want... ( WE NEED TO DRAFT 1000% better to be a competitive team...and we have sucked ass at it for a decade....and with this past years " evaluation" I'm scarred as shit this is the "team" thats gonna continue drafting for us!!! NO!

Good topic (and greetings as a newbie)

As a Jet fan, it's strange not being the team with the worst coach. Here are 2 worse hires than the Mangini hire.

Rich Kotite - We fired Pete Carrol after he dropped the last couple of games, starting with the fake-spike game, knocking us out of the playoffs as the 6-5 Jets went to 6-10. Citing the late season flop as the reason, Leon Hess hired Rich Kotite, who that same season coached the 7-2 Eagles to a 7-9 record.

Herm Edwards - You had to have lived it. There will never, ever, ever, be a worse coach than this joke / imbecile. He was so bad, that Mangini really looked like a genius in year one.

Herm Edwards - granted his KC hire was cronyism, but there wasn't an educated Jet fan that would not have bet their firstborn that Herm would take the record breaking KC offense and destroy it by season 2, making "rebuilding" excuses in the process. Getting Leon in return for him has lightened our pain a bit.

Hey Brown fans - good luck this year climbing out of this one!

I'd like to give him the benefit of a doubt, and give him a chance, but players don't want to play with a coach that takes things too far.

I agreed when the hire is made that he bringing discipline would be a great thing, but he's taking it too far.

He needs to earn the respect of his players if he wants them to play football.

100 % agree....I gave him the benefit of the doubt....for 6 months....even after that draft day debacle....turns out he only inspires disdain!

Just caught Jim Rome talking about our beloved brownies. He is not impressed with Mangini, rome says the browns are worse off now then we they came back 10 years ago. Basically called mangini an a-hole and said players hate him. Im parphrasing of course.

I don't care about the a-hole thing or the napolean thing too much....Teams are built by good evaluators....this guy seems like he got all the wrong guys from the Jets defense....lol

And this draft...3 second rounders sitting the bench? Poteat? hood? Barton? Bowens? Ratliff? Coleman and Mosely i like....elam good against the run...but he's a saftey for pete's sake....The whole Qb evaluation..... I don't trust this guys ability to evaluate....Pray I'm wrong!

If this teams looks at the end of the season like it does now, Mangini is not it. The Dolphins dumped Cameron after 1 season. Do you think they made the wrong decision?

Continuing with a mistake is a bigger mistake than cutting bait. All it means is you are that much further away from the turnaround.

5 years is xxxxing ridiculous. I suppose you're all for giving Anderson 5 years, too?

You'll know in two years what your roster will be but you won't know if your heading in the right direction for at least 3

QB developement doesn't take 5 years it should take closer to 2 or 2-1/2 and I am for giving either QB at least an entire season in this system. Even Brady and I hate his game. I wanted him in all year so we could get a good look at his progression so I'm against that move. But flipping a team and creating an entirely new culture does take 5 years. This isn't a PS3 game you can't just sim the season and go make a bowl of cereal until your roster is developed and ready. We are slaves to an actual calender and real money here and so it does take a little time and we will have to encounter all of the bumps that come with it.

Man, you are much more hopeful and forgiving than I am. I think about midway through season 2 you can see if things are headed in the right direction. about midway thorugh RACs second season I knew he wasn't going to be 'it'. The team just wasn't getting any better, players weren't playing hard, and the coach was absolutely cluless. When he sat at the interview table and said 'I don't know why' I KNEW he was doomed. When Marty got fired, I wanted him in the worst way.

Unfortunately, he got lucky and literally fell into a 10-5 season and we got stuck with him for another year. Ughhh.

If Mangini was a rookie coach and had mishandled this QB situation, I would be a lot more forgiving. But he isn't, and he's making mistakes he should know better than to make. Add to that the team looks disorganized and the hints of locker room drama, and we've got the makings of something even worse than last season.

Saying it will get worse before it gets better is a copout. It's EASY to get worse, and then easy to 'improve' from there, but 'improve' doesn't mean go from winning 3 games to 4.

Those coaches that have gotten 5 years have earned them. They didn't have 4 years of absolute SUCK then spontaneously turn it around. Their teams got progressively and NOTICEABLY better, and they got into the playoffs or near them.

I think we'll know where this is headed by game 12 of this season.

Man, you are much more hopeful and forgiving than I am. I think about midway through season 2 you can see if things are headed in the right direction. about midway thorugh RACs second season I knew he wasn't going to be 'it'. The team just wasn't getting any better, players weren't playing hard, and the coach was absolutely cluless. When he sat at the interview table and said 'I don't know why' I KNEW he was doomed. When Marty got fired, I wanted him in the worst way.

Unfortunately, he got lucky and literally fell into a 10-5 season and we got stuck with him for another year. Ughhh.

If Mangini was a rookie coach and had mishandled this QB situation, I would be a lot more forgiving. But he isn't, and he's making mistakes he should know better than to make. Add to that the team looks disorganized and the hints of locker room drama, and we've got the makings of something even worse than last season.

Saying it will get worse before it gets better is a copout. It's EASY to get worse, and then easy to 'improve' from there, but 'improve' doesn't mean go from winning 3 games to 4.

Those coaches that have gotten 5 years have earned them. They didn't have 4 years of absolute SUCK then spontaneously turn it around. Their teams got progressively and NOTICEABLY better, and they got into the playoffs or near them.

I think we'll know where this is headed by game 12 of this season.

I can agree with that. I am just really sick of the coaching carousel because it is 100% guaranteed not to work. I want to see a HC get a decent amount of time to turn this around. Good or bad, let the guy at least try and build something.

Thomas Jones

Leon Washington

Dustin Keller

Chansi Stuckey

Darrelle Revis

Nick Mangold

D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Cris Jenkins

The guy has no clue what he's doing.

Tannenbaum... I have a great friend who is a jets fan....fact

Archived