THE BROWNS BOARD

Anderson to start against the Bengals

OconRecon

Jon Gruden on Sirius radio today ( when asked to comment on the problems of JaMarcus and Brady ) that he wishes he had the keys to Quinn for 1 season because he has the desire, brains, build and arm to succeed in this game.

Would that be someone who knows what they are talking about?

I would love to have gruden... as long as we have great coordinators to go with him.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jon Gruden on Sirius radio today ( when asked to comment on the problems of JaMarcus and Brady ) that he wishes he had the keys to Quinn for 1 season because he has the desire, brains, build and arm to succeed in this game.

Would that be someone who knows what they are talking about?

BUT INTERNET PEOPLE ARE SAYING HE HAS A NOODLE ARM. THEY CAN'T BE WRONG, CAN THEY?

BUT INTERNET PEOPLE ARE SAYING HE HAS A NOODLE ARM. THEY CAN'T BE WRONG, CAN THEY?

Of course not. People that have never actually evaluated NFL QBs always know more :)

Anderson is the better prospect. Let's all deal with that and move on.

Maybe he saves the season, maybe he sucks and we start with a new QB next year.

But I've seen enough of Quinn to know that Anderson brings more to the table with his arm and quick release. You get a guy like Anderson to play smarter and more disciplined ... you've got something.

Quinn has pretty average skills and he's not ready for prime time.

Anderson has better skills and more seasoning.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Zombo

EXCELLENT! I agree completely. I've been saying all along DA's weaknesses can be coached up. Quinn's weaknesses all stem from a lack of ability. I was all for giving Brady an entire year however, now that that isn't going to happen, it's time to go with my plan since 2006. COACH DA UP!!! Develope that ability and see what we can get out of him.

Oh boy does he have the build to succeed. I'm getting wood just thinking about it. Can't have a QB without the build to succeed.

No wonder Gruden got canned.

Oh boy does he have the build to succeed. I'm getting wood just thinking about it. Can't have a QB without the build to succeed.

No wonder Gruden got canned.

He coached a journeyman QB in Rich Gannon to an MVP and another journeyman QB to a Super Bowl victory. Yeah I'm pretty sure he knows WTF he is talking about.

EXCELLENT! I agree completely. I've been saying all along DA's weaknesses can be coached up. Quinn's weaknesses all stem from a lack of ability. I was all for giving Brady an entire year however, now that that isn't going to happen, it's time to go with my plan since 2006. COACH DA UP!!! Develope that ability and see what we can get out of him.

Yes, because no one has been trying to do that since his freshman year of college :rolleyes:

Do you know who really HATES the decision to start DA?

The Bengals!!!!!

Seeing as how DA's last 2 starts against CIN look like following, I am pretty sure they have no feelings on the decision:

@CIN 29/48 251 Yards, 5.2 Y/A, 2 TD, 4 INT, 1 sack

@CIN 15/24 138 Yards, 5.8 Y/A, 1 TD, 1 INT, 1 sack, 1 fum

John,

I have to disagree with you,

He didnt coach up anything go look at his record,

What he does have is an eye for talent and has a great track record with choosing players in the draft

Huge difference,and from all appearances most players from both franchises dont particularly care for the guy as a coach.

From what we have seen so far his decision making process isnt all that great and his play calling is even worse,maybe it will take awhile with it being a whole new system,coaches and whatever but at the moment I cant point to one decision he has made and say I like it outside of being harder on the players rather than the please like me RAC approach.

This isnt change we can believe in!

1. Not sure how almost making the playoffs (if not for a QB meltdown) in his 3rd year is proof he doesn't coach up talent.

2. Still not sold on the 'players don't like him' thing. After all...if everyone hates him how did we stock half our team with ex-Jets players. I mean, if they didn't like him....would they really FOLLOW HIM???

3. I agree he has an eye for talent....this draft is looking decent despite not having all the picks

4. Play calling? Come on dans....you know as well as I that GAME TIME CALLS are done by the offensive and defensive coordinators. The GAME PLAN is along with the HC, but calling the plays is mostly coordinators (just look at Ryan taking the blame for the Denver game).

5. The one I am waiting for to step up to the mic and offer some explanation is Daboll. He has been conspicuously absent from any press conferences and even more absent from explaining his game time calls/decisions.

In all honesty, there is no point in discussing which QB is better. Both have their own merits and numerous flaws, and this forum has decided to have a fruitless battle defending both for months and months. What is key, is to realise that we really don't know which is better. The coaching in this team, for the past 10 years has been awful, it ruins QB's. We could have drafted Flacco/Ryan/Sanchez, take your pick. Chances are, they'd all be in a similar state to that of either Quinn or DA right now. Whether that would be mimicking the shy-passer style of Quinn, or the cannon-armed recklessness of DA.

All that matters currently (for Mangini to save his ass) is the ability of either one of those QB's to guide this shambles of a team to as many wins as possible. With Quinn, from what we've seen this season, we would never top 20 points in a game. On the other hand, with DA, we may lose certain games much more heavily than we would have with Quinn, but in others, his cannon arm may propel us to a token couple of wins.

I have no doubt, and neither did 99% of college and nfl evaluators, that Quinn has the potential to far exceed the skillset of DA. It's imperative to remember that a lot of evaluators had Quinn being taken top 5, and although he slid, he is STILL a first round pick. Regardless, with the current coaching staff, and the need of Mangini to not fall to an 0-16 season, DA is seemingly the better play now.

My 2 cents.

I can't believe the negativity in this thread, you'll all jump on the DA bandwagon once the Browns win on sunday.

DA is a pro bowl quarterback who threw for almost 4,000 yards, 29 touchdowns, and got the team to 10-6 in 2007, get the HELL over it. Quinn hasn't even thrown for more first downs than DA has TDs.

Hi guys =]

This is my very first post on a website who talks about issues on a very funny team to be a fan of...the browns. i love this team to a point where i will still watch a game like last weeks game, (in front of friends) throughout the whole game ...do you want to talk about embarrasing?

well anyways, i feel DA is the guy. i am so much more confident with the browns offense being able to move the ball consistently down the field, even if it means taking a deep shot and throwing a INT, it is still better then 3 and outs to a point where you just want to puke, and more or less the defense because they are the ones on the field the whole game. I feel we will be much more successful with DA because there will be more offensive production, resulting in less wear and tear of our defense, who BTW will perform so much better when well rested..

Guest Masters
I can't believe the negativity in this thread, you'll all jump on the DA bandwagon once the Browns win on sunday.

DA is a pro bowl quarterback who threw for almost 4,000 yards, 29 touchdowns, and got the team to 10-6 in 2007, get the HELL over it. Quinn hasn't even thrown for more first downs than DA.

You'll have to forgive the lack of excitement for another HC being indecisive (or unable to evaluate a QB for his system), along with now change to the lowest rated QB from 2008.

Weeks 12 of the 2007 season was a long, long, long, long, long time ago.

Personally, I don't care if it is DA or BQ, as long as ONE of them steps up and plays well enough for us to use the #1 pick for something OTHER than another QB.

Amen..

That's what I'm rooting for at this point.

Seeing as how DA's last 2 starts against CIN look like following, I am pretty sure they have no feelings on the decision:

@CIN 29/48 251 Yards, 5.2 Y/A, 2 TD, 4 INT, 1 sack

@CIN 15/24 138 Yards, 5.8 Y/A, 1 TD, 1 INT, 1 sack, 1 fum

Point being, they would much rather deal with Brady and the offense ha has been producing rather than DA. The point wasn't that DA will throw 500 yards.

Oh god, I remember that 48att game in 30-40mph winds. Chud was brilliant.

Regardless of what happens Sunday, DA will prove he's a career backup over the course of the season. Why not continue evaluating Quinn, unless we've decided that 2 1/2 games is our standard (particularly when he looked pretty good last year)?

The only two things I can think of are these:

* Mangini is feeling the heat, fearing he might be canned this year, and hoping Anderson catches fire for a game or two.

* The Browns don't want to pay Quinn's bonus.

Other than that, this move makes no sense whatsoever for the future, which is all we should care about because this year is a lost cause.

Certainly proved that point this past Sunday..how many TD's was it and how many INT's was it?

Some guys like to take things one game at a time, beat off after ever victory and throw their beer cans at the TV every time the team gets behind. I'm not one of them.

If you take a look at the overall picture, for every really crappy game DA has, he has one pretty darned good game that hasn't been matched by any of the alternatives on the team since he's been here, the rest of the games are good enough to keep the team in the game... which also hasn't happened under the other QBs on the roster in the last 5 years.

He was put into a bad situation this last game. I'd bet money that if he gets the next ten quarters of play, the Browns will have more than 1 TD out of the deal, may even get a win or two.... Quinn was getting nowhere in either regard.

Ok..so the overall picture is that DA is a .500 QB. "for every crappy game, he has one good game", those are your words. 8-8 doesn't make the playoffs chachi.

You said he's a "TD machine"...I just pointed out that we didn't score a TD with either QB on the field last week and that your "TD machine" threw 3 INTS.

I hope he has a game like 2007 against Cincinatti this Sunday...but even if he does..he has to prove he can do it week in and week out. No one with any brains has questioned the fact that Anderson is capable of some huge games...the problem with him is the huge inconsistency. He's as likely to throw 3+ TD passes as he is to throw 3+ INT's.

Inconsistency doesn't win in the NFL anymore than the shitty offense than we've had so far this year does.

Ok..so the overall picture is that DA is a .500 QB. "for every crappy game, he has one good game", those are your words. 8-8 doesn't make the playoffs chachi.

You said he's a "TD machine"...I just pointed out that we didn't score a TD with either QB on the field last week and that your "TD machine" threw 3 INTS.

I hope he has a game like 2007 against Cincinatti this Sunday...but even if he does..he has to prove he can do it week in and week out. No one with any brains has questioned the fact that Anderson is capable of some huge games...the problem with him is the huge inconsistency. He's as likely to throw 3+ TD passes as he is to throw 3+ INT's.

Inconsistency doesn't win in the NFL anymore than the shitty offense than we've had so far this year does.

He's a .500 QB with a historically .250 team. Better take what you can get.

Archived