THE BROWNS BOARD

Let me be the first....

WPB Dawg Fan

Ok, so Mangini has chose DA to start this week. But in his press conference he made THIS statement:

Mangini has said that the decision would be made based not on the player who gave the team the best chance of winning as many games as possible over the balance of the year, but based on the guy who gave them the best chance of winning this week.

Now, we all know how much info comes out of the Berea camp....so I tend to believe this little gem has SOME MEANING....

....and this is the meaning I think it has.

As I pointed out in the Over Under On Anderson thread,

Cinci only has 1 INT in 3 games, giving up a 92.2 QBR. They have also given up 3 plays for over 40 yards already...and another 13 of 20+ yards (most in the NFL)...which means they are vulnerable deep. This should play to DA's strengths.

So, if this decision was made based on the player who gave them the best chance of winning this week....I would say DA is the choice.

HOWEVER, I think the rest of the quote leads you to believe that the guy Mangini sees as giving the best chance to win as many games as possible over the balance of the year is NOT the guy starting this week!!!

I have a hunch, and yes it's only a hunch, that this week is a break to work on some specific things with Quinn and have him come back after the Cinci game. I know that sounds a little crazy, but follow me on this.

Buffalo is the next game. They give up a ton of passing yards, but NONE of it deep (1 over 40). The next one is Pittsburgh, again, only 1 play over 40. GB gives up some long stuff, but then Chicago...again only 1 over 40.

What I am getting at is that Mangini basically implied that the guy starting this week was NOT the best for the entire season...just to win this game....and then stated that DA was the starter. Add that to the fact that 3 out of the next 4 are VERY GOOD against the deep pass...and it leads me to believe that Quinn may be back in next week.

I could be wrong, as I stated this is only a hunch...but.....

Makes sense

Mangini is a numbers guy...

I have a theory, I think Quinn will get 69% of the snaps this year and he will play the latter half of the schedule when its easier. Quinn is Mangini's guy, I just think this is his way of protecting Quinn and the salary cap

Excellent post and very well thought.

My beef, as most, is that Mangini will play jerk the QB for the remainder, or majority of, the season, never allowing either one to get much continuity with the offense. We all know what that means for Braylon Edwards too. This BS he keeps playing with, maybe BQ, maybe DA can only make things worse - if that's possible. Why hasn't anything Bellijerk, or any of the others, coaching knowledge rubbed off on this guy ? Why hasn't he learned from the crap he pulled weeks leading up to the season opener, that playing games with 'who will be the starter' only has a detrimental affect on the team and performance of the offense AND QB ?

Makes sense

Mangini is a numbers guy...

I have a theory, I think Quinn will get 69% of the snaps this year and he will play the latter half of the schedule when its easier. Quinn is Mangini's guy, I just think this is his way of protecting Quinn and the salary cap

Where is Bermeck's big bag of dope?

Zombo

Interesting hunch

here's the problem.

If as you say, Cinci's D fits Anderson's game. and Mangini thinks he gives them the best chance to win this week. and mangini will use this week to get Quinn "fixed" and start him again in Buffalo.

HOW THE HELL does he do that if Anderson takes advantage of Cinci's weakness and manages to win the game? There is NO WAY after that he can go back to Quinn until Anderson plays two terrible games in a row. So while I might agree Mangini still thinks Quinn has a higher ceiling. If you have his plan correctly, I'd be really worried about Mangini's decision making.

If there is one thing we know about Mangini...he doesn't give a crap about what we or the press thinks. If he did, the QB competition would have ended sooner....BQ would not have been pulled after only 10 quarters...and he would actually try to explain what is on his mind instead of continuing the shield of silence.

I really don't think he cares one wit about our questioning his decisions...and he will do what he wants if he thinks it will make the team better. Just look at how he handled the Jets in 2007:

The 2007 season was a tumultuous one for Pennington. In the first game of the season, against the Patriots, Pennington suffered a high ankle sprain that kept him out of game two. In the third game, against the Miami Dolphins, he led the Jets to a 31-28 victory, throwing two touchdowns and running for a third. After a 17–14 loss to the Bills in Week 4, he threw three interceptions against the Giants in Week 5, giving him five interceptions in two games. Two weeks later, he threw a costly interception late in the fourth quarter against the Cincinnati Bengals. After leading the Jets to a dismal 1–7 start, coach Eric Mangini decided to bench Pennington for second year quarterback Kellen Clemens. But, during the Week 15 game against the New England Patriots, Kellen Clemens left the game after the second play with a rib injury and Pennington returned to the game. Pennington went 25-38 for 184 yards. He also threw for more yards and fewer interceptions than opposing quarterback Tom Brady, who, not only was on his way to an MVP season, but that day was 14-27 for 140 yards with one interception. Neither quarterback threw a touchdown that day. Pennington would start the next week at Tennessee, where the Jets wound up losing 6–10. Clemens replaced Pennington for the final game of the season against the Chiefs. Pennington finished the '07 season with 10 TD's and 9 INTS with a passer rating of 86.1, and 1,765 yards.

Eric Mangini announced that upon entering training camp of 2008 that there would be a competition for the starting quarterback position between Pennington and Clemens. On August 7, 2008, the Jets acquired veteran and former Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre, leading to Pennington's release later that day.[7]

...talk about bouncing back and forth. And the injuries were only part of the picture.

Mangini didn't want him...Favre was forced on him if you recall...but if neither steps up soon I would guess a rookie and Pennington in 2010.

Pennington is a downgrade from Quinn IMO. So if he is not satisfied with Quinn cos of our offense then why go to CP ? Also, Im sure Mangini realizes right now that this team needs more than just the new QB and he will not spend 2010 on a new QB. My guess is either Quinn or DA is gone with Ratliff stepping up or a veteran QB hired.

Pennington is a downgrade from Quinn IMO. So if he is not satisfied with Quinn cos of our offense then why go to CP ? Also, Im sure Mangini realizes right now that this team needs more than just the new QB and he will not spend 2010 on a new QB. My guess is either Quinn or DA is gone with Ratliff stepping up or a veteran QB hired.

Chad has a lifetime 90.1 QBR, and when healthy is among the most accurate passers in the game. He may not have the big gun...but he knows how to get it done. Besides, I said IF NEITHER step it up (meaning they are not starting material) I see the Browns drafting a guy and getting a Mangini guy (Pennington) to mentor him.

John, QB's learn by doing. Playing in the game is how he will learn. I can see Mangini going back to Quinn if DA sucks, but I think you give Mangini way too much credit for being that smart.

Could be....but the press did call him Mangenious for quite a long time for a reason.

John, your theory seems nutty on its face but so did the idea of pulling Quinn after 10 quarters.

All bets are off at this point.

To your overall point, I think it's true that Mangini really doesn't care about any player's feelings. I think he wants production and he will play the player that gives him the most.

So, though I doubt he will yo-yo the QBs based on matchup, as you suggest, I don't doubt at all that he would yo-yo them based on performance.

His handling of Quinn has made it abundantly clear that all he cares about is results.

Archived