THE BROWNS BOARD

Time for a Team Meeting

Guest 88fingerslewy

Guest 88fingerslewy

Joe Thomas and Shaun Rogers are among the elite at their positions in the NFL. It's time for some leadership and right this titanic season. It's time for a team meeting, players only; "WE need to pull our heads out of OUR asses" type of speech. No rah-rah bullshit but a reminder where they are and what they are all expected to do.

None of us are in the locker room so we don't know what goes on. JT and Rogers seem like the quiet types but they are the best on our team on their respective sides of the ball. Somebody has to step up and LEAD.

Joe Thomas and Shaun Rogers are among the lite at their positions in the NFL. It's time for some leadership and right this titanic season. It's time for a team meeting, players only; "WE need to pull our heads out of OUR asses" type of speech. No rah-rah bullshit but a reminder where they are and what they are all expected to do.

None of us are in the locker room so we don't know what goes on. JT and Rogers seem like the quiet types but they are the best on our team on their respective sides of the ball. Somebody has to step up and LEAD.

A meeting would be nice ... but may not be necessary.

Everytime we replace Charlie Frye with Derek Anderson we beat the Bungles.

Zombo

The problem is the Bengals know alot about Derek Anderson. They will go into cover 2 and just sit there, but hopefully that gets the running game going a bit as DA does provide that advantage.

If not, we have to hope the Bengals suck in pass coverage or it could be a long day if we don't run the ball.

I think you mean a 3 deep zone (which is what teams have used w/ success against DA). You can beat a cover 2 w/ DA's over the top arm or in the seem.

Zombo,Stan,

When you gleefully join the lumbergs of the board on the badship DA you truly are rooting against the team,and really going against the grain of being a fan and just being downright childish.

You've got to be kidding me.

I am gleeful because the head coach of the Cleveland Browns made the move I wanted him to make and now I think the games will be more interesting and we will have a better chance of actually competing and winning them.

That makes me "rooting against the team" and going "against the grain of being a fan"??

How on earth is that possible?

I guess you truly feel Quinn is the better choice and that the team is better off with him in there ... I don't. Neither does our head coach. I'm absolutely sure he wants to win football games and I know damn well I want us to ... so maybe you ought to check your own fandom and see if maybe it is you who is too caught up in your own beliefs instead of what is actually best for the team.

Zombo

all your really saying is DA will give us a prettier loss.

No, I think we are going to win some games now.

I really do.

I think Quinn needed to be replaced and I think the team rallies around Anderson for some improved play.

The "gloating" and stuff is just for fun ... but I really do think the team is better off today with Anderson.

And I don't think the season is a total loss at 0-3 either. Sometimes things seem dark as hell in NFL fandom and then things can turn on a dime.

One of those times was when we replaced Frye with Anderson after an embarrasing loss to Pittsburgh. And one of those times may be Sunday.

I am much more pumped up now for Sunday than I would be if trotted Quinn out there again. That is real.

If I'm wrong then I'll be right where most of you think we are now ... but I still have hope ... QB changes often trigger improved play across the board for some reason, I guess it is a different energy. It worked before with Anderson. And i don't think Mangini is the abortion most are making him out to be either.

I think we're going to win. That isn't "The Great Zomboni" talking ... that is me. PM me and I will give you my cell # and you can text me your gloats if we don't win on Sunday. But I feel pretty damn good about it. I just do.

Zombo

If I'm wrong then I'll be right where most of you think we are now ... but I still have hope ... QB changes often trigger improved play across the board for some reason, I guess it is a different energy. It worked before with Anderson. And i don't think Mangini is the abortion most are making him out to be either.

Zombo

You don't watch much football outside of Cleveland. 'Often trigger improved play?' It's usually an illusion that last a week or two, if that. See, well, pretty much every Browns QB in the last 10 years.

You don't watch much football outside of Cleveland. 'Often trigger improved play?' It's usually an illusion that last a week or two, if that. See, well, pretty much every Browns QB in the last 10 years.

Well he does have a point with DA in 2007. I'm just perplexed with his play in 2008, so that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling in my stomach. Scotch does that, which I am comsuming Sunday while he is in the game, so that counts for something.

There is a point with the 2007 comment. But this isn't 2007 or the options on offense that was in 2007.

I don't call what occured in the second half of Sundays game much of a spark. Unless you were trying to spark the BALT secondary.

I watch all of my football outside of Cleveland. I have seen 40 years of the NFL and I have seen plenty of QB changes trigger improved play. You sound bitter and unhappy. I can't help that. I don't like the state of this football team either. But I'm glad we are doing something about it.

If we continue to suck , then we continue to suck, and I'll be right there with you wallowing in misery.

But today, I have a gleam of hope. Sorry if that angers you.

Zombo

Well he does have a point with DA in 2007. I'm just perplexed with his play in 2008, so that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling in my stomach. Scotch does that, which I am comsuming Sunday while he is in the game, so that counts for something.

So he is correct ONCE out of how many times? Do you really want to place on 1 out of 10? I'll take the other 9 out of 10.

PS: Improved play means wins. Z, Stan, et al want to see wins. I wonder when the wins continue to not come what we'll hear then.

Hey, just holding them to their own standard.

I watch all of my football outside of Cleveland. I have seen 40 years of the NFL and I have seen plenty of QB changes trigger improved play. You sound bitter and unhappy. I can't help that. I don't like the state of this football team either. But I'm glad we are doing something about it.

If we continue to suck , then we continue to suck, and I'll be right there with you wallowing in misery.

But today, I have a gleam of hope. Sorry if that angers you.

Zombo

Define 'often', because I rarely see a QB change lead to anything that is permanently good. The last one I can recall was Warner.

There have been a lot of changes at QB position all over the league since then, and most of those guys aren't still the starters.

And, yeah, I'm bitter and unhappy because I don't believe that Quinn was given a fair shake by this staff either. I can't prove it, but, IMO, Mangini set him up for failure. I saw a bit of the press conference Mangini held today and what I took away from it is that he didn't really care for Quinn from the beginning but had to play him.

I fully expect to see a sudden shift in playcalling, and I don't think it's because Quinn 'couldn't master that offense or make the throws'. We have tape on him proving otherwise.

Define 'often', because I rarely see a QB change lead to anything that is permanently good. The last one I can recall was Warner.

There have been a lot of changes at QB position all over the league since then, and most of those guys aren't still the starters.

I can easily define "often" for you, but I think you know what it means.

How many teams have "permanently good" situations at QB? I just said a change often triggers improved play across the board. I didn't say we are going to win three Super Bowls like when Brady replaced Bledsoe, or two Super Bowls like when Roethlisberger replaced Maddox, I'm saying I like our chances against the Bengals a lot better. I think there is a good chance the team plays better this Sunday. Piss on it all you want ... but your anger should be directed at the guys who drafted Quinn, or built the rest of the team ... not at me because I'm optimistic we will start playing better football. What the f*** is wrong with you?

Zombo

I can easily define "often" for you, but I think you know what it means.

How many teams have "permanently good" situations at QB? I just said a change often triggers improved play across the board. I didn't say we are going to win three Super Bowls like when Brady replaced Bledsoe, or two Super Bowls like when Rapelisberger replaced Maddox, I'm saying I like our chances against the Bengals a lot better. I think there is a good chance the team plays better this Sunday. Piss on it all you want ... but your anger should be directed at the guys who drafted Quinn, or built the rest of the team ... not at me because I'm optimistic we will start playing better football. What the f*** is wrong with you?

Zombo

To me 'ofteb triggers better play' means that team starts playing better and continues to play better. What my eyes tell me is that way more than 'often' changing the QB does nothing but indicate that a team is spiralling further into the toilet. Play doesn't improve; it gets worse.

Sometimes we see a guy come in and looks good for a couple games, then falls of the cliff as teams 'figure him out' - a la what happened to DA in 2007, and we've seen happen to any number of other guys. It doesn't lead to any permanency, and a few weeks later, the team is back where it was. It is an illusion accomplished with the equivalent of 'trickery' that doesn't last.

So we win 4 or 5 games instead of 2 or 3? Big deal. We're still nowhere near playoffs, and the team still sucks.

My problem is that Mangini will waste more time with DA thinking he can 'fix' him, and we'll waste more time with Mangini. Anderson has been given 27 games to PROVE he is the guy and he still hasn't. We give Quinn 10 healthy quarters with the new coach? Seriously?

Maybe we'll draft another QB, but we'll keep DA around, just in case, and end up in the same situation. I'm sick of seeing this guy pop up like the frickin' roach that won't go away, and I'm sick of people like Lums. I'm sick of watching this team suck, make shitty hires, bad decisions, suck some more, and fans say 'it takes time to correct'.

To me 'ofteb triggers better play' means that team starts playing better and continues to play better. What my eyes tell me is that way more than 'often' changing the QB does nothing but indicate that a team is spiralling further into the toilet. Play doesn't improve; it gets worse.

Sometimes we see a guy come in and looks good for a couple games, then falls of the cliff as teams 'figure him out' - a la what happened to DA in 2007, and we've seen happen to any number of other guys. It doesn't lead to any permanency, and a few weeks later, the team is back where it was. It is an illusion accomplished with the equivalent of 'trickery' that doesn't last.

So we win 4 or 5 games instead of 2 or 3? Big deal. We're still nowhere near playoffs, and the team still sucks.

My problem is that Mangini will waste more time with DA thinking he can 'fix' him, and we'll waste more time with Mangini. Anderson has been given 27 games to PROVE he is the guy and he still hasn't. We give Quinn 10 healthy quarters with the new coach? Seriously?

Maybe we'll draft another QB, but we'll keep DA around, just in case, and end up in the same situation. I'm sick of seeing this guy pop up like the frickin' roach that won't go away, and I'm sick of people like Lums. I'm sick of watching this team suck, make shitty hires, bad decisions, suck some more, and fans say 'it takes time to correct'.

OK, I understand.

But Quinn was just awful. Something was not fundamentally right. I could barely stand to watch.

You hate Anderson, I don't. We'll just have to watch and see if playing him helps the team. Your mind seems made up that there is no way it helps the team in the long run. But I'm glad, because I may have had to throw myself in front of a bus if forced to watch another dinkndunk clueless Quinn blowout.

Zombo

OK, I understand.

But Quinn was just awful. Something was not fundamentally right. I could barely stand to watch.

You hate Anderson, I don't. We'll just have to watch and see if playing him helps the team. Your mind seems made up that there is no way it helps the team in the long run. But I'm glad, because I may have had to throw myself in front of a bus if forced to watch another dinkndunk clueless Quinn blowout.

Zombo

Yet he has the same number of INT's as DA and DA only played half a game.

you're delusional z

OK, I understand.

Zombo

You're right, a clueless blowout from DA is much more exciting to watch. LOL. I think even you would have been happy had Quinn turned out well. I'm not sure if 3 starts is fair but I've seen enough in 3 games to wonder if he can make a play.

Most of us will support DA because we're Browns fans. We've supported this crap team for a long time so I'm sure it wouldn't matter who started. But I will say this - if DA can't provide the spark, Mangini will look to play Quinn again.

Yet he has the same number of INT's as DA and DA only played half a game.

you're delusional z

Yes, Eric Mangini and I are delusional.

And there's probably a few people that wouldn't have minded if i jumped in front of that bus.

But Quinn just doesn't have "it". No zip, no flair, no real added energy. Yes, that' my opinion.

And Eric and I ... and Skippy and Lums ... seem to be the minority. But i stand behind my opinion. Quinn's a dud and Anderson has more to work with.

Zombo

OK, I understand.

You know, this is right. Something was NOT right. It looked like someone kidnapped the real guy between this year and last year and put someone like me out there to play QB. Rip Sherer was the QB coach last year and I'm wondering if he 'did something' - I recall reading an article about he is basically a QB killer.

I guess I'm on the DA wagon until Ratliff is the starter. I seriously think that is the endgame. Sounds conspiratorial, but its what my gut says (well, that and that Richard Bartel looked way better than Ratliff, yet who is on the team and who was cut).

Here's where it's better to not take a stand on either QB...I don't give a flying xxxx who plays QB...I think ultimately Quinn is the better QB and I think he proved that in the preseason. Something has happened once the real games started and Quinn looks like shit now and the offense is dreadful. Anderson made some nice throws on Sunday and some pretty atrocious ones as well. I hope it's because he hasn't played a real game since December and I hope he was a little rusty and I hope things will be better when he gets to start the game rather than come in when he's down 20-0, I hope the pacific is as blue as it is in my dreams, I hope that I get to meet my friend and shake his hand.....oh sorry...I turned into Red there for a second...

I'm in support of whomever starts at QB on Sunday and god willing...Derek Anderson will lead us to a victory because I'm sick of losing goddammit..

Not the second time around tho... we seem to throw 4 picks instead

Speaking of which, he upgraded Charlie last week with 3 picks in just one half but who was counting? That's only a projection of 6 over 4 quarters.

- Tom F.

I really do.

I think Quinn needed to be replaced and I think the team rallies around Anderson for some improved play.

The "gloating" and stuff is just for fun ... but I really do think the team is better off today with Anderson.

And I don't think the season is a total loss at 0-3 either. Sometimes things seem dark as hell in NFL fandom and then things can turn on a dime.

One of those times was when we replaced Frye with Anderson after an embarrasing loss to Pittsburgh. And one of those times may be Sunday.

I am much more pumped up now for Sunday than I would be if trotted Quinn out there again. That is real.

I think we're going to win. That isn't "The Great Zomboni" talking ... that is me. PM me and I will give you my cell # and you can text me your gloats if we don't win on Sunday. But I feel pretty damn good about it. I just do.

Zombo

:lol: This season is already lost. In case you didn't notice, our competition IS the Ravens, and they just handed or asses to us. Z, I have to agree that if you take away the interceptions, DA looked better than Quinn. OTOH, those interceptions were horrible, throw the game in the toilet mistakes, especially on the road. The first one, DA had zero chance of squeezing that pass in there, even if he had used a real rocket launcher. #2, Oh just heave one up into triple coverage, and hope your guy can make a miracle play on the ball? Bad, bad idea.

It's been pointed out DA's had how many years? to be "coached up" not to make stupid throws, and he's still doing it. We're flat out not good enough to be turning the ball over 3-4 times a game to win- and putting DA in there won't overcome the swiss cheese defense we've been playing the first three weeks. You want to give him the benefit of the doubt for being "rusty", and not practicing with the first team? OK, I'll buy it. Ain't no excuses this week though. And I'll predict this- DA has another three pick week this Sunday, it's going to be Bottlegate II, and the stadium will be a ghost town by halftime.

Maybe Mangini watched film of that first miracle Bungle game where DA lit it up, and he's hoping for lightning to strike twice. I sure hope that's his reasoning for trotting DA out there Sunday. Recent history against the Stripers suggests it will be a different outcome. The only thing we have going in our favor is the recent Bungle history of falling flat on their collective faces after a big win.

I may be a Browns fan, but I'm a realist- those multiple source Power Rankings that have the Browns dead last are pretty accurate at this point. I watched virtually the entire Bungle Squealer game, and it's not going to be pretty IMHO.

Bungles 42, Browns 10. DA 3 picks, Mangini fired on Monday.

I trust mangini to make the right decision. Quinn looked dreadful, no matter how you cut it. This isn't the Denver game last year and we don't have Kellen Winslow to catch everything anymore. Quinn is too concerned with making a mistake. At least DA isn't worried about airing it out, turnover or not, which will allow our running game to exist. Quinn's throwing motion is terrible, he jumps when he passes, and he doesn't wait for plays to develop. I'm with DA for the rest of the year, because at least with him I know we have a chance to move the ball and maybe win a few games, while with Quinn I'll be wondering if we're actively working on sending Zastudil to the probowl.

Archived