THE BROWNS BOARD

I can't believe it happened...

Legacy Fan

The thing that's interesting about Quinn is his total inability to throw the long ball accurately on a consistent basis. This leads to the defense not needing to drop back because they know it's not going to get bombed out there. This is the equivalent of stealing. Normally I would have thought Quinn deserved to be given a chance to progress.

But this inability to succeed was so bad it's holding back everyone else's progress.

It's not a wonderfully great decision but I see why it was made and on a selfish level am glad for less boring football. I always liked Derek, I believe he deserves another chance due to the skill set he has.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Masters
sure i said it. fuk those stats i own a copy of the game and have watched it more than a few times.

he protected the ball really well all game but in the fourth quarter the Colts D got a gift. the pick was due to a "miscommunication" on the play as they say. it was a merging of perfect defensive play on that down combined with an extremely badly timed fuk-up on offense...and it led to a pick 6. i put it on the receiver and the ball being innaccurate by a foot or so.

still, it happened. it was his only pick all game and he never forced anything deep all game. hey, the Colts are good. what do you want? yeah he threw a pick. yeah it led to the win after an awesome defensive stand by the Browns D. shit happens.

his short game is obviously better and it's apparent every time he throws a short pass. what do you really want here? watch the dude play and you see what you want to see i guess.

You own a copy of the game, yet are telling me about a pick that never occured in the game :rolleyes: It was a fumble by DA, not a pick.

I haven't seen his short game being obviously better. It didn't show in pre-season and there wasn't a lot of it in those 2 QTRs against BALT this past week.

Guest Masters
The thing that's interesting about Anderson is his total inability to throw the short/intermediateball accurately on a consistent basis. This leads to the defense only needing to drop back because they know it's not going to checked down on out there. This is the equivalent of stealing. Normally I would have thought Anderson deserved to be given a chance to progress, considering he has had 27 NFL start.

But this inability to succeed was so bad it's holding back everyone else's progress.

It's not a wonderfully great decision but I see why it was made and on a selfish level am glad for less boring football. I always liked Anderson, I believe he deserves another chance due to 27 starts not being enough.

By changing a couple of words in your post you can see why people aren't so high on DA (or any QB on this team right now)

forget about DA in '06 and '07. forget about Quinn in '07 and '08. just like let's forget about what these guys did in college, high school, whatever. look at them today. DA throws picks and produces...and Quinn looks, well, conservative and ineffective, or "non-threatening" at best.

Forget?

I tend to be a positive minded person but I am also grounded in reality,

I have watched this team for forty years and im tired of maybe's,I want to know.

You cannot look at DA or any player for that matter without considering their entire body of work so "forgetting" isnt an option.

Quinn was drafted in the first round and so far is a bust.

Nobody will say that about a sixth round castoff from the ravens who had a good season for us in 2007,and then crumbled when it meant the most, ok im being bitter and he is a rookie,fair enough,

Fast forward 2008,do we need to discuss 2008?

Fast forward to 2009 he again failed to win the job in camp {or maybe it was just a Lerner conspiracy,ask lums} when Mangin felt he had seen enough of Quinn and he pulled him for DA.

Lets talk about that ravens game,

What was it that you saw that I didnt?

Triple coverage,no short game,bad decisions 3 picks imobile.............

These are the continuing traits of a loser,he cant get better your lucky you saw what you did in 2007.

Tomorrow he gets to play cinci who if I remember correctly caught more passes from him than our guys did and they havent let anything near what happened to them the first game ever again nor has the other 30 teams in this league.

Your wishing for something that isnt there,Its ok as a fan if you want to cheer him on but im sorry I dont forget and we need to move forward.

the only reason you reach into the past is to try to drive an agenda IMO danamal. there is really no need to mention when a guy got drafted right now and it says more about scouts and a team's evaluators of talent really. projecting college players into the pros is difficult and draft position is NOT gospel regarding how a player will do in the NFL. while there are always coincidences it's really useless concerning what we are discussing and irrelevant regarding tomorrow.

we have seen nothing from Anderson THIS year apart from entering a game vs the Ravens under very unique circumstances, and we saw DA play EXACTLY how he always does when the Browns are coming from behind by several scores. it has always ended up being live by the pass, die by the pass with him in those situations. furthermore, unless you can successfully predict they will fall behind by a lot tomorrow it has little bearing on how well he will do in all honesty.

you just LOVE to cite how in one outing he threw 4 picks against the Bengals on an extremely windy day yet ignore he's actually 2-1 vs them all time.

you are also putting some kind of imaginary weight for your argument based upon what the staff saw in camp regarding the QB competition or the limited preseason action where he actually tore the shit out of the Lions in a game i attended before i moved to Denver. this also supports nothing of real value in favor of BQ.

now i won't sit here and say politics were involved in the QB competition or make excuses but the fact seemed to be they were so close it was hard to call and the FO needed to really find out what they had in Quinn during the regular season...and so did the fans. i believe the fans would only accept the truth if they saw it with their own eyes and saw it we did...but some of us just won't accept reality.

this should have never been a BQ vs DA thing but more of a "who's better" on the field on Sundays and interceptions or not, Anderson is miles ahead of where Quinn is today. we may disagree on the harm of throwing picks and while i readily admit they are horribly counterproductive in many ways, like tiring the defense for example, they are not the end all be all.

whether it's Quinn's lack of confidence in his long ball due to knowing he has an inability to be accurate or just being unable to see when the play is there, the guy is very leary of pulling the trigger deep. when he has he's also been known to throw into triple coverage as well>>>this is NOT something only restricted to DA. either way this makes him especially inept and leaves the offense literally impotent when he's at the helm. the number of times a year a receiver is wide open in single coverage can usually be counted on one hand and relying on that situation as the only time a QB will risk taking a shot ain't gonna get it done in todays NFL that's for sure.

Anderson will no doubt take some calculated risks but as the old adage goes: it's better to have loved and lost than to have never have loved at all. so at least for this year, as far as QB is concerned, there is really only one option for this team to have any success and that guy is without a doubt Derek Anderson.

You own a copy of the game, yet are telling me about a pick that never occured in the game :rolleyes: It was a fumble by DA, not a pick.

well you're right about the pick, it wasn't him it was Dorsey the imposter. i now recall clearly it was the play where Shaffer ended DA's season with his helmet, preceeding his self-described "booing", which i had selectively forgotten about. i watched it repeatedly last season and sometimes these things all blend together.

i am apparently confusing games though, certainly not QB's. any idea which game i was confusing it with? Texans perhaps? regardless, the actual occurrence in the game actually strengthens the citing of the Colts game as a strong performance. what i do remember clearly is how well he played in that game overall, even if i did confuse the particulars late in the game.

I haven't seen his short game being obviously better. It didn't show in pre-season and there wasn't a lot of it in those 2 QTRs against BALT this past week.

considering he was never asked to even do it much until the pros, and how he had no touch at all in his first couple years in the league, the way he throws it now is leaps and bounds from where he was when he first got to Cleveland. you only need to see it once or twice now to notice, and if it's not obvious to you then you must not have realized how absolutely horrid he was at it when he first got here. he even did it on the run better than he used to, and he actually looks comfortable doing it.

gotcha. i pretty much agree with what you wrote there danamal. and DA gets no pass. certainly not here, not in the stands, not in the media, and not in the press conferences>>>nor should he.

i agree DA isn't the Browns franchise QB and we need to find one-fast.

it is a real shame Quinn hasn't lived up to his billing. i wanted to believe, i really did. but focusing on him for the past three years give or take have...well, had us focused on him for three years. :blush:

while i look forward to finding the franchise QB of the future there is a very distinct possibility we may focus on the next attempt for another three years...and he may not end up being "the guy" either. that's my real fear.

so, while DA has some definite drawbacks i am at least willing to bear with him and his affinity to be Santa Claus for the opposing defenses, at least until they sign someone who is clearly head and shoulders above him. in the meantime hopefully the fanbase can unite behind him until we can find a much better option. and if he can just temper his impetuousness we just might be able to win some along the way. cheers.

i just want to add i still think Brady had a crappy game against Buffalo last year. the stat line definitely doesn't tell the story clearly>>>the defense provided 3 takeaways early, giving Quinn 5 opportunities to score and we came away with 2 field goals from Dawson. that game was won because their kicker missed a 43? yard FG after Dawson made one in the 50s. a real squeaker we easily could have (and probably should have) lost. just wanted to add that.

glad you are giving DA a shot this year Mike. i think i misjudged you.

Are you even reading my posts? I said if you take away the three games, Quinn is largely an unknown. This all started by a Quinnie whining about his "circumstances". I replied that they are no worse than the circumstances that DA started 08 with, however if you take away Quinns bad three games with circumstances and take away that 3-game stretch with Anderson ... Anderson suddenly looks like a better QB overall, while Quinn just looks unknown. That's all I'm saying. Yes I know Anderson was Pro Bowler heading into 2008, that is largely my point.

Shit happened. He went into camp as the unquestioned starter, yes, he went through camp getting his timing down with Braylon Edwards and Donte Stallworth. First Braylon got hurt, then Anderson gets a concussion, then Stallworth gets hurt warming up for the first game. The team was relying on Joe to be the third receiver but he goes on IR with Staph and is done. Winslow's balls blow up like basketballs and he plays the whole season hurt, a shell of his old self. This stuff really happened. No one needs to use it as an excuse ... but if a Quinn Fag is whining about Brady's circumstances .... myself, being a Browns fan ... I'm going to come back with "well ya, but remember how bad was last year for DA? Bad circumstances for both." It doesn't matter that Quinnie is a newborn hatchling who only got three games ... he didn't play well in those three games. Anderson didn't play well in the first three games the year before. But if you look at the body of their work, outside of those three game stretches, Anderson has an impressive start to his career while Quinn is an unknown ... that's it. Just digest and try not get all fired up because I said "Quinn Fag" ... I thought that was accpeted terminology around here. Feel free to call DA Fag, Blow Boy, Horseball's Bitch or any other name ... it doesn't change my game. I've been pounding the podium about DA being underappreciated all year. Now we'll see if I'm right. Grab some popcorn.

Zombo

Fair enough, Z.

I'm not fired about anything. Notice my lack of exclamation points; I'm cool.

We're not that far apart here. I just object to the idea that Quinn should be automatically better than Anderson and can be fairly judged after 3 starts, especially these 3 starts.

That's all I'm saying.

Oh, and I wasn't calling you out. Grey was.

Glad you did all that stuff though, big boy.

Archived