THE BROWNS BOARD

Why would any established coach want this job?

Chip Banks

People think we are going to land Gruden or Shanahan next year? Based on what?

The roster sucks from eight of ten years of incompetent drafting. It is what it is. We don't have ONE player left on our roster from the '08 draft!!! One! A seventh rounder at that! The guy we picked as our franchise QB couldn't make it 3 games.

We have a fan base that after three games is supporting the players and media in a mutiny against the head coach. And with these players that is truly letting the inmates run the asylum.

Cleveland isn't exactly the most desirable place to be from late October through the rest of the season. Or to move your family if you lived in say the Bay areas or Denver.

The media has absolutely turned on every coach since Palmer. Every regime eventually has someone who says that the fans need to "get a life" or something similar -- but maybe they have a point when Belichick's family needed police protection after cutting Kosar and people on this board are talking about needing police protection for Anderson and Mangini. Because it was Belichick's rank incompetence in QB evaluation skills (among other things) that was holding back the proud Browns franchise, right. If it were not for that ugliness, I'm not sure that Modell would have moved the Browns to Baltimore. Maybe we'd have Ozzie, Flacco and a SB ring?

Who wants to coach for an owner that gave the last coach only a year to try to change things?

Maybe if we put enough pressure on Lerner he'll sell the team . . . so it can be moved to LA.

Back off the guy and let him do his job. Quit giving the malcontents on this team and Mangini's enemies in the media what they want. Jesus God, if misguided Cleveland fans and the media hadn't come to Savage's rescue a few years back, we might be in a better spot today.

Whatever it is that you are hearing on talk radio and reading in the rags and hearing echoed throughout the "fan" base, believe the opposite to be true. It'll work better for you.

Truth is if Lerner fires Mangini the best we'll be able to do is hire another first time head coach or a college guy. He'll come in and have to rely on a hurriedly compiled scouting department and we'll not be adequately prepared for our draft. And the cycle will begin all over again.

Fine. Than start playing a game where we're not getting worse every game. Stop getting blown the he'll out every week. Make some adjustments and develop some schemes to take advantage of the players you do have. This isn't rocket science. Start playing competetive games. Mangini was brought here to improve the play of this team. I don't see improvement I see us getting worse. And I'm one of the guys that liked Mangini.

If they were to can Mangini this season, they better catch him with hookers or something so they have a morals excuse, otherwise it'll be like Nebraska and their coaching search after they canned Solich. They'll get turned down right and left. The Browns will be a really really tough sell unless they go for a college coach.

The roster sucks from eight of ten years of incompetent drafting. It is what it is. We don't have ONE player left on our roster from the '08 draft!!! One! A seventh rounder at that! The guy we picked as our franchise QB couldn't make it 3 games.

We have a fan base that after three games is supporting the players and media in a mutiny against the head coach. And with these players that is truly letting the inmates run the asylum.

Cleveland isn't exactly the most desirable place to be from late October through the rest of the season. Or to move your family if you lived in say the Bay areas or Denver.

The media has absolutely turned on every coach since Palmer. Every regime eventually has someone who says that the fans need to "get a life" or something similar -- but maybe they have a point when Belichick's family needed police protection after cutting Kosar and people on this board are talking about needing police protection for Anderson and Mangini. Because it was Belichick's rank incompetence in QB evaluation skills (among other things) that was holding back the proud Browns franchise, right. If it were not for that ugliness, I'm not sure that Modell would have moved the Browns to Baltimore. Maybe we'd have Ozzie, Flacco and a SB ring?

Who wants to coach for an owner that gave the last coach only a year to try to change things?

Maybe if we put enough pressure on Lerner he'll sell the team . . . so it can be moved to LA.

Back off the guy and let him do his job. Quit giving the malcontents on this team and Mangini's enemies in the media what they want. Jesus God, if misguided Cleveland fans and the media hadn't come to Savage's rescue a few years back, we might be in a better spot today.

Whatever it is that you are hearing on talk radio and reading in the rags and hearing echoed throughout the "fan" base, believe the opposite to be true. It'll work better for you.

Truth is if Lerner fires Mangini the best we'll be able to do is hire another first time head coach or a college guy. He'll come in and have to rely on a hurriedly compiled scouting department and we'll not be adequately prepared for our draft. And the cycle will begin all over again.

""""""""""People think we are going to land Gruden or Shanahan next year? Based on what?

The roster sucks from eight of ten years of incompetent drafting. It is what it is. We don't have ONE player left on our roster from the '08 draft!!! One! A seventh rounder at that! The guy we picked as our franchise QB couldn't make it 3 games.""""""""

Ding ding ding....Parcells would love the challege as GM......IT's about horrible Drafts...those HC's that would come here would have to be given the whole enchilada as far as shopping for the groceries..... INSTEAD of being an Iron Chef.

I'll give you some Cleveland Browns Draft history if you want but it is way fkn worse that having one pick left from 08' when we didn't pick until the 4th rd.... wow about missing on the first 3 rounds of every draft since 99' save a "suspect" mCCutcheon and Braylon Edwards, Winslow and Joe thomas......throw in a "suspect" pool.....WHIFF....count them 3 out of 33!!!

If they were to can Mangini this season, they better catch him with hookers or something so they have a morals excuse, otherwise it'll be like Nebraska and their coaching search after they canned Solich. They'll get turned down right and left. The Browns will be a really really tough sell unless they go for a college coach.

It depends on HOW bad this team looks come end of season.If the team continues to be in disarray, Mangini swapping QBs, etc, I don't know that 'established' coaches would be afraid to come here. When you are grossly incompetent (as opposed to inexperienced), it's a joke that you WOULD continue to be employed.

They recognize when things are going wrong and it's the coaches fault; I think we can recognize it as well in the really egregious cases.

MIA didn't have too much trouble finding a replacement for Cam Cameron, did they?

Now, if the team is moving in the right direction by the end of the season and he still gets fired, yeah. I'd be leary as any coach. There are guys that understand CLE - Gruden is one, I think. So are Cowher, and Schotty.

Fine. Than start playing a game where we're not getting worse every game. Stop getting blown the he'll out every week. Make some adjustments and develop some schemes to take advantage of the players you do have. This isn't rocket science. Start playing competetive games. Mangini was brought here to improve the play of this team. I don't see improvement I see us getting worse. And I'm one of the guys that liked Mangini.

Vegas-

I know you're one of the guys who liked Mangini but "developing schemes to take advantage of the players" doesn't work if they can't tackle. If they get tossed aside by Adrian Peterson like a rag doll...that's not coachin'. They got thumped.

Adjustments? Exactly how much time is there for adjustments in an NFL locker room at half time? The answer? None. I think that changing your QB is a pretty big adjustment.

News Flash...these players as a group are not very good. How about Braylon Edwards tries to actually run a route instead of just a stem on Brady Quinn's interception? How about he tries to make a play on that deep ball that got picked? I don't care if it's triple coverage. He had position to try and AT LEAST be a DB on the play. He did nothing.

You guys are so damned inpatient. You just got thumped by arguably the best team in the NFL and the score was reflective of what most of the prognosticators that I read were predicting....so I don't understand what the surprise is about. I'm not saying that this is a "good" coaching job so far but there are still winnable games out there. They need to start showing a lot of people something out on the field because quite frankly, even the stars on this team are playing like crap.

Didn't Nebraska end up with Bo Pelini, who has them on the fast track back to respectability?

Chip Banks is right. Why would a comfortable guy like Shanahan or Cowher (please, folks) ever WILLINGLY join this steaming turd?

I mean, I'm here because I have to be.

Chip Banks. It's posts like this that make me proud to have worn a long-sleeved 100% cotton Chip Banks replica jersey as a small child. Keep up the excellent posts. I agree with you all the way. I suggest a daily post of reason from you Mr. Banks. We need it.

The roster sucks? Hey I'm not the one that brought in Womack and St Clair. I didn't draft 2 WRs high in round 2. And a DE turned LB project this draft. When you cannot run the ball or stop the run how in the holy f*ck do you draft two WRs????

Don't cry to me about roster BS. He could have concentrated on doing 1 thing well- either stopping the run or running the ball.

2 WRs on this teams draft board in the 2nd round? That is not what I'd expect on a team low on talent and facing a QB competition. And speaking of which why do we have a green OC running this offense without a veteran QB or accomplished offensive mind on the staff?

It's a process my ass. We need to process him right out of town.

The roster sucks? Hey I'm not the one that brought in Womack and St Clair. I didn't draft 2 WRs high in round 2. And a DE turned LB project this draft. When you cannot run the ball or stop the run how in the holy f*ck do you draft two WRs????

Don't cry to me about roster BS. He could have concentrated on doing 1 thing well- either stopping the run or running the ball.

2 WRs on this teams draft board in the 2nd round? That is not what I'd expect on a team low on talent and facing a QB competition. And speaking of which why do we have a green OC running this offense without a veteran QB or accomplished offensive mind on the staff?

It's a process my ass. We need to process him right out of town.

Can't run the ball? Get a center who can handle a nose tackle (Mack)

Can't stop the run? Get a SF whose strength is playing in the box and a DE who is widely regarded as a good DE against the run from the Jets. OK, not All-Pro...but better than what the Browns had.

You take WRs when you have no playmakers on offense and Stallworth drinks and drives his career into oblivion.

Three games in and you want final exams. I don't see that as reasonable. You're buying into what New Yorkers want you to think.

I can't say that I agree with a lot of what he's done but this locker room is full of lazy turds and we're not done turning it over.

Chillax, guys....

Didn't Nebraska end up with Bo Pelini, who has them on the fast track back to respectability?

Chip Banks is right. Why would a comfortable guy like Shanahan or Cowher (please, folks) ever WILLINGLY join this steaming turd?

I mean, I'm here because I have to be.

Nebraska went from 58 and 19 under Solich (including 10 and 3 the season he was canned) to 27 and 22 over 4 years after Bill Calahan took over following getting publicly turned down by a unusually large number of coaches. Bo Pelini was actually on Solich's coaching squad at the time of his firing. It took basically a coup by Tom Osborne and other powerful Cornhusker backers to get Pelini in.

My guess is if they can Mangini based on one bad season, or partial season, few coaches of note will jump at the chance to be interviewed.

Lerners reputation has been shot for a while with potential brass candidates and soon talented players will avoid coming here because of mangini this team is screwed and yet many fans have not put on the warpaint yet out of fear of having no team if lerner moves...cleveland can muster a battle to gaurantee if lerner moves they get an expansion and if we cant get a team with an owner befitting the town and fans then we shouldnt want one and should reject the current owner...whens the last time this club played an acceptable stable form of football?

As i calm down in preparation of sundays likely massacre and reflect on this clubs deep history and towns football traditions i have to ask how this happened and why we didnt end this nonsense sooner wheres randy?

As the owner the weasel wont show his face and he wont sell his trophy title.. yet he wont or cant get the right people to right this wrong and give the fans a product we can believe in...hopefully the other owners and heavy duty media will start pressuring him...the face of a champion team is its owner does randy look like a champion or a chump?

If randy wants to win he should consider letting the brass put its own face in his place but first you have to have a face instead of an ass to represent the team randy secretly demands secrecy amongst other unprovable things out of his brass and players but he is not hand off as people tend to believe he is hands on in a way that scares potential candidates away...

Personally like an owner with deep pockets who isn't afraid to shell out top $....He isn't drafting the fkn all the misses we've had! Period... his problem is hiring the right guys. or should I say the right evaluators of talent!

The roster sucks from eight of ten years of incompetent drafting. It is what it is.

Hey now, he brought in 27 new guys this season. He promised fundamentals, smart football, and improving game by game. He talked about improving the culture. He brought in his guys - not exactly playmakers - to teach his way and his system. He touted that he needed them because they could solidfy the defense and get that side of the ball locked down.

When you take over a shitty team that went 4-12 and has not scored a TD, how hard is it to get these guys to play competitively? How hard is it to get them to be more competant?

So he is responsible for 40% of this roster.

He is responsible for hiring a green OC for a team devoid of scoring ability.

He is responsible for hiring a DC known to rank very, very low against the run (which is where we needed improvement.)

He is responsible for drafting the WR's that can't beat out Cribbs.

He is responsible for drafting the kid out of Hawaii when we needed more than a developmental player (I mean come on we suck on defense, and we can't pick a guy in round 2 that can start??)

He is responsible for the team playing worse and worse every game.

He is responsible for the same dumbass penatlites.

He is responsible for the lack of tackling and WR's in the wrong positiion.

I blame Mangini because these are failures he said his system would correct. I am hard on Mangini because he has embarrased me as a Browns fan, something I did not expect from him.

His hocus-pocus QB secrecy before game 1 put his players in a position to answer stupid questions about it. He has constanty made decisions where his players have to answer stupid questions.

I'm sick of this guy to the point I want him fired right the fook now so we don't poison everyone on the team.

---------------------------

Based on the fact that there are only 32 open head coach positions in the NFL. And not too many coaches are retiring or getting fired anytime soon And there are more and more Co-ordinators stepping into the coaching job.

Hey now, he brought in 27 new guys this season. He promised fundamentals, smart football, and improving game by game. He talked about improving the culture. He brought in his guys - not exactly playmakers - to teach his way and his system. He touted that he needed them because they could solidfy the defense and get that side of the ball locked down.

When you take over a shitty team that went 4-12 and has not scored a TD, how hard is it to get these guys to play competitively? How hard is it to get them to be more competant?

When they were incompetent to begin with? Very hard.

So he is responsible for 40% of this roster.

....and this doesn't equate into 100% blame.

He is responsible for hiring a green OC for a team devoid of scoring ability.

Daboll wasn't his first choice; Callahan was. The Jets wouldn't let Callahan or Schottenheimer out of their deals. I can't argue with you here. Brian Daboll is a good coach from what I've seen first hand but you're right on this one.

He is responsible for hiring a DC known to rank very, very low against the run (which is where we needed improvement.)

With the Raiders? Rob Ryan is not the problem here and you know it. Guys have been in position time and again to make plays and they're not shedding blocks and they're not making tackles.

He is responsible for drafting the WR's that can't beat out Cribbs.

Which WR would YOU have drafted? By season's end, MoMass will be starting opposite Edwards.

He is responsible for drafting the kid out of Hawaii when we needed more than a developmental player (I mean come on we suck on defense, and we can't pick a guy in round 2 that can start??)

The kid is changing positions. I don't know why he's held back but it's too soon to bail on this kid. I think he can play.

He is responsible for the team playing worse and worse every game.

Singly? Solely responsible? REALLY?! None of the players or the opponents had anything to do with this?

He is responsible for the same dumbass penatlites.

Eric Mangini's Jets were the least penalized team in the league the last three years. That's a FACT.

He is responsible for the lack of tackling and WR's in the wrong positiion.

You can't be serious. So, Eric Mangini is supposed to get out there and show these guys collecting NFL paychecks where to line up and how to tackle? Seems to me that there were people on this board who found it "refreshing" in camp when they worked on "tackling" since RAC's teams never did that. Hmm. Maybe these guys stink SO bad that they STILL can't tackle.

I blame Mangini because these are failures he said his system would correct. I am hard on Mangini because he has embarrased me as a Browns fan, something I did not expect from him.

I'm sure he expected to go 0-3. :rolleyes: Come on dude. You sounded like a smart enough poster until you unleashed all of this "Woe is me" crap.

His hocus-pocus QB secrecy before game 1 put his players in a position to answer stupid questions about it. He has constanty made decisions where his players have to answer stupid questions.

Actually, he's made it easier on the players since they aren't really supposed to say much. He draws a load of negative attention onto himself and shoulders the load.

I'm sick of this guy to the point I want him fired right the fook now so we don't poison everyone on the team.

You've fallen into the 0-3 trap. Give up. Yeah, that's right. You've seen enough. This is what fans of other teams and ESPN WANT from Browns' fans. They want you guys to cry yourselves to sleep so that they can marginalize your team as unimportant. By the way...the poison was here when he arrived.

When they were incompetent to begin with? Very hard.

We've gotten our asses handed to us more and more 3 games in a row. He keeps talking about fits and coordinated defense. He talks a good game but I haven't seen one thing come to pass that he said his team would be about. Competance is knowing where to be. His guys - by his own admittance - are not where they should be.

....and this doesn't equate into 100% blame.

Hey these are his guys. And he did draft 2 WR's and a DE changing positions on a team that could not afford any of those. We didn't need projects, we needed players that could step in and play positions of greater need. LB, RT, RG - all of these were available at where we picked.

Daboll wasn't his first choice; Callahan was. The Jets wouldn't let Callahan or Schottenheimer out of their deals. I can't argue with you here. Brian Daboll is a good coach from what I've seen first hand but you're right on this one.

I understood he could not get Callahan and Shotty, but when you come into our situation, with unknowns at the QB position, and a team that hasn't scored a TD in forever, and on top of that a new system, I would have preferred someone not new to the position in the NFL.

With the Raiders? Rob Ryan is not the problem here and you know it. Guys have been in position time and again to make plays and they're not shedding blocks and they're not making tackles.

Rob Ryan's defense is notorious for being run upon. That is a fact.

Which WR would YOU have drafted? By season's end, MoMass will be starting opposite Edwards.

I wouldn't have drafted WR, not on this team in 2009. We can't run the ball or stop the run. As I said WR is the last position we needed. LB, RG, RT.

The kid is changing positions. I don't know why he's held back but it's too soon to bail on this kid. I think he can play.

I like the kid too. But not when he can't play this season, and is a project at best. Too big a gamble on a team that NEEDS PLAYERS NOW!

Singly? Solely responsible? REALLY?! None of the players or the opponents had anything to do with this?

He is responsible for getting his team ready to play on Sunday. Don't tell me they looked ready vs DEN and BAL. They looked like shit, and that is on him AND the players. They don't coach themselves.

Eric Mangini's Jets were the least penalized team in the league the last three years. That's a FACT.

Yeah, and I am not seeing that here. That is my point. All his "it's a process" BS isn't getting it done. I don't mind 0-3, I mind the way we got to 0-3. RAC could've produced this, and in fact did.

You can't be serious. So, Eric Mangini is supposed to get out there and show these guys collecting NFL paychecks where to line up and how to tackle? Seems to me that there were people on this board who found it "refreshing" in camp when they worked on "tackling" since RAC's teams never did that. Hmm. Maybe these guys stink SO bad that they STILL can't tackle.

Mangini is responsible for everything that happens on that field. If he doesn't have people getting it done, make a change. He made that change, now show me you know what to do with it. Plenty of teams take on the personality of their coach - I am not like the personality of this team, and their play shows this. That's all I am trying to say

I'm sure he expected to go 0-3. Come on dude. You sounded like a smart enough poster until you unleashed all of this "Woe is me" crap.

I am a fan. I expect better when we hire a guy like Mangini. I didn't expect much - and in fact I am one of the FEW posters that said 4-5 wins.

Actually, he's made it easier on the players since they aren't really supposed to say much. He draws a load of negative attention onto himself and shoulders the load

BS. Those are stupid positions to put your players in, and it made no difference. He outsmarted himself. That was a dumb move, and his players were laughing stocks for the coach.

You've fallen into the 0-3 trap. Give up. Yeah, that's right. You've seen enough. This is what fans of other teams and ESPN WANT from Browns' fans. They want you guys to cry yourselves to sleep so that they can marginalize your team as unimportant. By the way...the poison was here when he arrived.

No I haven't fallen into any trap. I want a turn around of the team. All I hear is no players, no players, no players. We said the same for Butch, RAC and now Mangini. Coach them up!!! Place them in better positions to succeed. Scheme better. WTF these guys are world class athletes. We're not like the Raiders when we drafted that safety in the 2nd round this year and every GM's jaw dropped. These guys were players of note, and we cannot get anything out of them? BS, BS, BS. Coach them the fook up already.

Archived