THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL Rumor: Quinn benched to light a fire under his...

OconRecon

From DawgScooper's Twitter today:

"A rumor is spreading throughout the NFL grapevine that says Mangini benched Quinn to light a fire under the QB. We'll see if this is true..."

http://twitter.com/DawgScooper/status/4532443038

I can't find this anywhere else, nor does it make much sense. After all, Mangini only does sensible things. :blink:

It could be true....based on Anderson's history which I'm sure Mangini is completely aware of, Anderson is going to have a bad game fairly soon. We never know when it's coming but he will have a 14-35 0 td's and 3 int game...he's inconsistent...always has been..always will be. So it wouldn't be so far fetched to imagine a scenario that has Mangini starting Anderson until that shitty game happens. If it doesn't happen, Anderson plays the rest of the year and we probably win a bunch of games...but if history is any indicator...that shitty game happens sometime in the next few weeks and then Mangini goes back to Quinn and hopes that benching him after such a short leash pisses him off to play better.

I doubt that is what will happen though. I think Anderson plays the rest of the year unless he gets hurt and I truly think that Quinn is traded in the next few weeks....probably to Oakland since they are in desparate need of a QB.

If Anderson gets hurt, we'll see Ratliff. Mark it down.

If I were Brady Quinn, I'd be tempted to never play another down for this 'coach' and his staff. I'm sure he wants out though, and that would be a big black mark against him.

I seriously, seriously doubt this rumor. I just don't think that Mangini cares for Quinn as the long term answer. The press conference I saw where he implicitly threw him under the bus was all I needed.

I don't believe that at all.Where did you find this rumor?

Here's his bio:

Daniel Wolf

About Me

Dawg Scooper: An Unofficial Cleveland Browns News Source is solely run and operated by Daniel Wolf.

I am also a Cleveland Browns Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report, which is a national sports web site that is also associated with CBS Sports, Sports Illustrated, ESPN, and Yahoo! Sports.

My Blogs

Team Members

Dawg Scooper  

http://dawgscooper.blogspot.com/

----

So, just some blogger. I don't see it on his site, just the tweet.

Even if it is true DA gives the browns the best chance to win right now he has more experience dealing with this inept offense than quinn...i dont like mangini's call or blaming BQ and throwing him under the bus when in fact its dabolls playcalling which hopefully he wont inject on DA this sunday...and it gives us a bad sign that mangini is likely going to take the quick fix path over a total rebuild in an attempt to save his own self centered hide..when a total rebuild is needed at minimal...

From DawgScooper's Twitter today:

"A rumor is spreading throughout the NFL grapevine that says Mangini benched Quinn to light a fire under the QB. We'll see if this is true..."

http://twitter.com/DawgScooper/status/4532443038

I can't find this anywhere else, nor does it make much sense. After all, Mangini only does sensible things. :blink:

This is basically what I alluded to in my thread "Let me be the first". I beat this guy to it by a good 2-3 days...so I guess now "I" am an "insider"???

Add to this Mangini's comment about the decision to start DA was based on "who gave us the best chance to win this game, not the most games for the rest of the season", which makes you think that is 2 different guys.

Anyway, I really am starting to think they saw something that they needed to 'fix' and they needed to get him out of 'this' game so that they could work on it...and it didn't hurt that Cinci is vulnerable to the long ball (DA's specialty).

We shall see, but I think this is a rumor based in at least a little truth.

I sure hope it's true because it would restore some credibility to the coach and organization.

Assuming, that is, that Quinn can actually improve his play.

But given that we got eaten up by two top D's and Elvis Dumervil, it's not out of the realm of possibility that Quinn could rebound.

Question is: how do you get him back in if DA plays well? That will be interesting...

I thought it was disciplinary at the beginning but because he's not starting this week, I'd say it's Mularky-sp?

We just need to admit that 2 coaching staffs have now decided that DA is a better option. Since we're on rumors I would like to start one.

Sources say, Savage wanted Frye to start in 2007 despite the HC and OC's protests. The story goes, the reason they didn't name a starter until the last second is because the coaches were lobbying for a DA start. Savage, in an effort to stroke his own ego and and prove he can find a diamond in the rough, won out above a passive HC and rookie OC and started his guy. The coaches promptly said "see, he sucks" and in the 2nd quarter Frye was pulled and later traded. Never to be heard from again.

Last year a similiar thing occured when Lerner insisted we needed to sell some tickets and build some intrigue for the Denver game on national TV. This is when they went with the decision to start Quinn despite DA winning something like 3 out of the last 5 games. Mission accomplished as ratings and merchandis sales went through the roof and Cleveland fans rejoiced.

True to form 2009 brought on yet another QB competition. Lerner, noticing a real drop in ticket sales in a football hungry town, lobbied for a Quinn start. Now, new HC Mangini was faced with another QB competition and pressure from the top. Many fans believed DA to be the starter based on Mangini's quote entering training camp "we're going to look at the body of work and make decision from there". Seeing as how BQ had no body of work to draw from, it seemed as though the new coach was setting us up early for the unpopular decision that was to be made. And then a twist. A delayed decalaring of the starting QB yet again? Our sources say that the HC was still fighting to get the best guy in there while ownership was looking to boost excitement and ticket sales. But because neither QB lit it up behind their bad team, the HC had a tough case to sell.

Then, information was "leaked" forcing Mangini to make a decision that would reflect this in order to not come off looking indecisive. As well as unwillingly give up the fight to start the better player. And oh how it worked. Ticket sales skyrocketed and yet, many football fans wondered "how could this be? DA moved the ball so much better in the preseason even without ever developing any type of rythm?" But the decision was made. ANd it was final. Or was it?

Our sources say the coaches adopted the attitiude of "fine, you wanna see the kid suck? You can see the kid suck" This of course led to a short leash on the unproven and less than steller young QB. After 2-1/2 terrible performances the new regime followed suit with the previous regime and out the Mighty QUinn back on the bench. In the process telling management "see, it's not going to work"

Fans revolted and called for the coach's head. He looked confused and radical. They said he could not evaluate talent and that he needs to return to his ball boy position. What were the last few months for? What a joke! The coach just scoffed it all off unable to devulge the behind the scenes happenings to the public. He kept his composure though being insulted and bedowngraded (my favorite fake word).

Coach now has his guy starting knowing he gives the team the best chance to win. Irratic as he may be at times, the team responds to what the new hero brings to the table. The defense can get some rest and stay fresh throughout the game. And the offense, well, they now know that running hard and making plays is no longer a fruitless endeavor. The fan base, yet dissapointed, has all but returned to ralley behind the once ousted gunslinger. And the story is to be continued. At least that's what our sources say.

HOLY SHIT! That wasn't supposed to be that long!!!

PS. nobody take offense please. I was just on a coffee enduced tangent.

Then, information was "leaked" forcing Mangini to make a decision that would reflect this in order to not come off looking indecisive. As well as unwillingly give up the fight to start the better player. And oh how it worked. Ticket sales skyrocketed and yet, many football fans wondered "how could this be? DA moved the ball so much better in the preseason even without ever developing any type of rythm?" But the decision was made. ANd it was final. Or was it?

Our sources say the coaches adopted the attitiude of "fine, you wanna see the kid suck? You can see the kid suck" This of course led to a short leash on the unproven and less than steller young QB. After 2-1/2 terrible performances the new regime followed suit with the previous regime and out the Mighty QUinn back on the bench. In the process telling management "see, it's not going to work"

I am just going to respond to the two hi-lited areas...

First of all, BQ averaged a 40 yard drive, DA average about a 20 yard drive in preseason. In fact, BQ went 3 and out only 1x...where DA did it 4. So, that proves the "DA moved the ball better" part as being incorrect.

Second, there is a thing called self fulfilling prophecy....and if a coach really doesn't like a player they can DEFINITELY put them in a position to fail. If, in fact, Mangini doesn't like BQ....the only way to get rid of him is for BQ to look bad. Otherwise there would be a revolt of epic proportions. How can you possibly take a 1st rd QB and ditch him without ever trying him out? But, if BQ plays poorly...well then....he can be canned with relish by the fans (just look at the posts on this board as proof). So, again, if Mangini wants to go in another direction...his best option is for Quinn to suck and then move on to HIS choice of QB, whether it is Ratliff or one of the 2010 guys.

Personally, I don't buy this conspiracy theory. I really lean to this being a disciplinary/corrective action...as pointed to by the comment about choosing the starting QB this week for the best ability to win THIS WEEK...not the best for the season.

Personally, I don't buy this conspiracy theory. I really lean to this being a disciplinary/corrective action...as pointed to by the comment about choosing the starting QB this week for the best ability to win THIS WEEK...not the best for the season.

I really don't buy into it either. I was just bored and hopped up on coffee. I just kept typing and BOOM! I had a conspiracy theory. Hey, I'm the DA fan that is pissed Brady got pulled so soon. I'm really not as irrational as my "story" implies.

I really don't buy into it either. I was just bored and hopped up on coffee. I just kept typing and BOOM! I had a conspiracy theory. Hey, I'm the DA fan that is pissed Brady got pulled so soon. I'm really not as irrational as my "story" implies.

You should be pissed. My guess is that Anderson's hook is just as short; perhaps shorter. Mangini is aware that much of the fan base of tired of seeing him, and it wouldn't bother most of us if he were pulled halfway through the game this week. Mangini would get a pass, and I'll bet he knows it.

If he puts together a couple bad quarters like last week, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him pulled for Ratliff.

If that happens, it speaks VOLUMES to me about what kind of coach he is.

Here is an entry from WaitingForNextYear...it is funny because he concisely mentions ALL the theories we have already espoused here on the board:

Cleveland Browns QB Conspiracy Corner

October 01, 2009 By: DP Diesel Category: Cleveland Browns

conspiracy

Moderate Props to Chuck for the Photoshop

This is a new feature of mine. It will run this one time. Then it will be gone. Until it comes back.

When I started writing my piece yesterday about the QB Break Down (double-entendre alert!), I never had an honest thought in my head that by the time I was done DA would actually have been named the starter. Call it wishful thinking; call it naiveté; call it whatever you must. The fact is, I never dreamed that after only 2.5 games anyone would be willing to say they’d seen enough of Brady Quinn to know he had no future with this team.

Alas, I was wrong.

But, I don’t think it’s that simple. As Keyser Soze once opined, “The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist.” So, while some may choose to believe that Brady Quinn got hosed, and that Eric Mangini is merely trying to net some offense to stave off the wolves at the door for awhile at the expense of long-term development, I think the answer has been hiding right in front of our faces all along.

1. Brady Quinn’s contract is laden with incentives.

As Deep Throat (the Nixon guy, you pervs) once stated, “Follow the money!” It’s not a secret that Quinn’s deal has escalators that kick in after he plays a certain percentage of the team’s snaps as well as anything stats-related. It’s not a secret that the lion’s share of DA’s money has already been paid out in bonus form. By pulling Quinn in favor of Anderson after such a short period of time, Mangini has all but guaranteed that Quinn cannot reach those escalators, and will cost much, much less against the salary cap, and will also make him more tradeable.

2. Eric Mangini never wanted Quinn as his starter to begin with.

Why else would this competition have gone on so long in the pre-season? Why else would Anderson–a guy we already have quite an extensive tome on with respect to his strengths and weaknesses as a player–keep getting so many chances? Why else would Mangini insist that Brett Ratliff be included in the trade with the Jets on draft-day?

3. Mangini wanted an excuse to get rid of Quinn.

Following up on #2, Mangini knew that it would be a mistake simpy to cut Quinn, which would basically tell the fan base, “Look, we’re going to suck on ice for the next two years, so we’re just going to with the guy who’s under the expensive contract and will keep the seat warm until I can get more of my guys in here on both sides of the ball to be ready for a new QB of the future.” To do so would be a PR suicide. Browns fans are nothing if not willing to forget things in the short-term and go into almost every season with some kind of blind optimism. Why urinate on that before the season even started?

4. Mangini set Quinn up to fail.

Because of #2 and #3, Mangini pre-orchestrated a plan to give Quinn a minscule shot so that he could say to the fan base, “See? We tried. It didn’t work. Time to move on to Plan B-as-in-’Blow Up’ folks,” and at the first sign of struggle would then jettison the Golden Domer in favor of Anderson to ride out the next two years while DA’s still under contract. Why else would we have such crappy play-calling game-in and game-out? Why else would the playcalling open up somewhat once DA was inserted in the third quarter on Sunday? Why else would Josh Cribbs be the starting #2 wide receiver when he hasn’t showed enough to merit that continued opportunity?

5. The Smoking Gun: Brian Robiskie will not only be active on Sunday, but will start opposite Edwards.

Mangini will announce that Robiskie made great strides in practice this week, and not only will he be active, but will start and make an impact. Cincinnati’s secondary is by far their weakest area, and Mangini will set Anderson up to look light years better than Quinn in an effort to justify moving Mr. Myoplex at the trading deadline for additional draft picks.

It’s all part of the master plan, folks. Mangini played us all like fiddles in an effort to get Quinn out of here and buy some time to build a team for his own QB in 2011, whether it be Ratliff or someone else not yet on the roster.

And, in a final move, Quinn will rip off his Browns jersey on Sunday to reveal a Dolphins jersey underneath, will hit Mangini with a folding chair, and then climb to the top of the benches and deliver one last flying elbow to the lumbar region, marking the end of this clowny chapter in Browns QB history.

I swear...if Robiskie plays today I am going to have beer coming out my nose!!!

FG-nose_milk.jpg

Archived