THE BROWNS BOARD

Sanchez & Rey-Rey

shepwrite

Could've been our draft. We would have then traded Quinn to Denver for their 17th pick and probably taken Hakeem Nicks.

We'll have more time to see how that would've played out, but I certainly think this team would have a much stronger foundation with Sanchez, Nicks, and Maualuga.

(Rey is playing really well... and blowing up blockers in addition to making tackles.)

Guest Masters
Could've been our draft. We would have then traded Quinn to Denver for their 17th pick and probably taken Hakeem Nicks.

We'll have more time to see how that would've played out, but I certainly think this team would have a much stronger foundation with Sanchez, Nicks, and Maualuga.

Let's be real here for a second on this.

Chances of Sanchez looking anything like he is right now, if he was on the Browns, is slim and none. The Jets are a much better team on both sides of the ball than CLE.

Rey-Rey really hasn't done anything yet that makes me go "damn CLE should have picked him". Let's not get all gushy about him just yet. Plus, there is no way of telling if he'd even have the same bit of success if he was in a 3-4 D.

Nicks has 2 catches for 18 yards. Not exactly showing up as a 1st rd WR. That is less production that MoMass so far.

Our OL would be Fraley, Womack, St. Clair....and the Jets OL is what???

As for Hakeem Nicks, he has 2 receptions for 18 yards....

Maualuga...he has played well...but he is also playing OLB in a 3-4 defense, not a 3-4.

So, not sure if this makes a huge difference in the scheme of things.

Besides, what if we HAD traded Quinn and went with Sanchez. Sanchez comes in and struggles behind the porous OL...and Quinn goes on to play well behind a good OL and a decent running game...how fast and furious are the second guesses then???

Sanchez wouldnt make any difference on this team shep. You know this.

He's in an infinitely better situation with the Jets than he would be here.

Why is this even a question... wow.

But....but....but....Shep, you're a Quinn fag, your not supposed to want annother QB!!!!

Where does Shep live? What is his college of choice? Where did Sanchez go?

I think you have your answer.

(Rey is playing really well... and blowing up blockers in addition to making tackles.)

Quinn was taken with the 22nd pick in 2007 and didnt do anything in his first 2 years in the NFL. He completed less than 50% of his passes in his first 2 seasons in the NFL and had a passer rating of about 65. Why would you think that his value went up since being drafted so that the Browns could have gotten the 17th pick for him in the offseason?

Also, Percy Harvin would be a better selection than Nicks.

We all know that sanchez couldnt make a difference at this time the jury is still out on rey-rey and nicks but i know what your saying shep we would have likely been in better shape going into next season with any combo of the those 3...;)

Guest Masters
Quinn was taken with the 22nd pick in 2007 and didnt do anything in his first 2 years in the NFL. He completed less than 50% of his passes in his first 2 seasons in the NFL and had a passer rating of about 65. Why would you think that his value went up since being drafted so that the Browns could have gotten the 17th pick for him in the offseason?

His comment about that was because before the draft it was rumored that Denver had offered their other #1 pick for Quinn.

Guest Masters
September 16, 2009, 7:09PM Broncos coach Josh McDaniels denied a report that he inquired about trading for Brady Quinn before the draft and said no talks took place between the two teams.

McDaniels also told Cutler he wanted him as his starting QB.

It was a rumor that may or may not have had truth to it. Quoting a coaches comments on trade rumors is a waste, because you don't know if they are lying or telling the truth.

September 16, 2009, 7:09PM Broncos coach Josh McDaniels denied a report that he inquired about trading for Brady Quinn before the draft and said no talks took place between the two teams.

I think it is pretty clear that Mangini has never been a fan of BQ. If a first round pick was offered for BQ, Mangini would have jumped all over it. I can't imagine any team offering a first rounder for Quinn last offseason and I can't imagine the Browns turning it down if such an offer was made.

As much as what ifs make for good discusion the reality is that Cleveland was never offered a 1st rounder for Quinn. When teams called the team asked for a 1st rounder but nobody would ever give them one just the same as nobody would pony up a 1st rounder for Edwards. Denver was looking for a trading partner for Cutler or a 3 way trade partner for someone to take Campbell from Washington. They did want Quinn over Orton but the Bears had to get rid of Orton to get Cutler.

Speculation is nice, but I sit back and ask myself what would have happened if we drafted Sanchez and my thinking is that he would still be sitting on the bench watching Anderson and we would still be 0-3. Then when they did finally put him in, just how bad would he suck with this supporting cast. We would be saying, why did they ever trade Quinn without finding out about him.

I could also imagine Quinn in Denver with a super offensive coach, a good running game and going 3-0 to start ans us all pissing and moaning about that.

Looking back, Rey-Rey could end up being a big miss, but as everybody was pissing on Laurenitis he is also is starting playing real well. I think the bigger miss was not taking the RT Lodholt (sp) with one of our 2nd rounders. But sometimes you never know how a guy is going to fit with the team that drafts him. I just want to see our guys given a chance so we know if we made a mistake or not.

Guest Masters
Lots of speculation reshaped as certainty here. What we do know is none of us knows nothing.

Would I trade this draft for Sanchez, Rey, and Nicks? Uh, yeah. Yesterday.

There was WAY too much smoke on the Quinn offers. Michael Lombardi says another team offered a 2010 first rounder, kind of like the Seymour deal.

Why Nicks though Shep? He's done less to date than MoMass.

Guest Masters
I like MoMass a lot, actually... but I think Nicks will be the WR of this draft over time. I like him a lot. Also Kenny Britt.

But my point is that nobody would've drafted Mo over Nicks.

True. But until Nicks does something, I would temper the if's and buts when it comes to him.

Guest Masters
Again, Nicks is nicked up (ha!) and statistics don't occur in a vacuum.

One could make the "argument" that a healthy Nicks would have better stats than MoMass if he were on the Browns instead of the Giants.

See why these kinds of comparisons are silly?

Candy and nuts, my friends.

All the more toward my point.

Good stuff, Solon.

I'm actually in agreement on trying to compare WRs at this point. I was just saying that the Browns might have taken a WR at #17 if they'd already picked Sanchez. Then again, maybe they wait and take the WR in two and a lineman or safety at 17 or lower after a trade down. They could've traded down as low as 30 and still taken Nicks, for instance.

Rest, I can tell you the Bengals and their fans are very, VERY happy with Rey. He's played extremely well. In addition to the tackles, he blows up lead blockers like nobody's business. He's a psycho.

17 tackles, 2 FF, and 1 sack already. Aaron Curry has 15/1/1.

Lends to my very serious point about talent evaluation by this new regime....don't get me wrong...I was thrilled we jumped out of the #5 pick....but to only get a 6th rounder for the #17 pick and only a 6th rounder for the #19 pick and then to take a FKN center? then to not draft rey?....I was flabbergasted and super pissed. belicheck got 3rd and 4th rounders later in the draft and picks next year for similar trade ups...kokinis got schooled on draft day....and the talent he and EM brought in smells huge of WHIFF

Let's be real here for a second on this.

Chances of Sanchez looking anything like he is right now, if he was on the Browns, is slim and none. The Jets are a much better team on both sides of the ball than CLE.

Rey-Rey really hasn't done anything yet that makes me go "damn CLE should have picked him". Let's not get all gushy about him just yet. Plus, there is no way of telling if he'd even have the same bit of success if he was in a 3-4 D.

Also, it's important to note that both were considered risky prospects, albeit for different reasons.

Though it's hard now to see why some doubted that Sanchez would succeed (and I wasn't one of them), he did have some knocks against him: a one year starter who was surrounded by great weapons but whose decision-making was shoddy at times (3 picks in the third quarter of the Washington State game). And you'd be betting close to $50M on him being a franchise QB.

With Rey, you're talking about a guy with past anger and alcohol issues, a habit of thinking injuries are more serious than they are, and a very low Wonderlic score.

So that combination would have been very boom or bust-ish.

Sanchez ,#17 pick from Den(macklin or wells), Rey and eben britton(rt) with winslow trade...hmmm

Britton got picked at #39. After #36, we didn't pick again until #50.

You'd have to choose between Rey and Britton.

17 tackles, 2 FF, and 1 sack already. Aaron Curry has 15/1/1.

Check out solo tackles and TFL's. Those paint a slightly different picture.

Ironically, Brian Cushing is statistically dominating both of them (26 tackles, 14 solos, 3 TFL's), but he doesn't even get mentioned.

I truly believe we could have pick all the players you mentioned and they would not have the stats they have. In most cases they walk into a good situation were winning is expected. Bottom line...The reality is we have a long way to go and any rookie is going to struggle with us if they start.

We should start with the building blocks before we start drafting QB, WR and RB.

Rey talked with Jim Rome today (radio) and seemed like a pretty stand up kid. And completely not the guy who air-humped Erin Andrews less than a year ago.

Give him another month with Chris Henry....

Archived