THE BROWNS BOARD

What kind of dog do you own?

Guest ATENEARS

Guest ATENEARS
Five wolves....2 are 100%......3 are hybrids. They eat a lot and aren't what you would want as a pet. I was involved in rescuing, but no longer do it. I'm getting too old to give them the attention they need, and my neighbors live in fear.

Play dates for Kisses?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Five wolves....2 are 100%......3 are hybrids. They eat a lot and aren't what you would want as a pet. I was involved in rescuing, but no longer do it. I'm getting too old to give them the attention they need, and my neighbors live in fear.

I'm guessing my dog wouldn't get along with yours. As it original purpose was to hunt down and kill wolves.

have your neighbors give me a call.

j/k- they sound challenging.

I'm guessing my dog wouldn't get along with yours. As it original purpose was to hunt down and kill wolves.

After almost 20 years of being involved with wolves, I can tell you this, from personal experiences I've had....wolves have certain instincts and one very strong instinct is to kill invaders of their territory. I really don't care what kind of dog you have......if it accidentally strayed into the 4 acre containment area that my animals live on, you would never be able to find all the pieces. I'm not trying to piss you off or anything, but I've seen many wolf/dog confrontations and many wolf/ wolf confrontations. It's not something you would ever want to see. While my neighbors are a little concerned....there is no real danger to humans. Wolves tend to fear humans, and would never attack unprovoked. I's the hybrids that are problems. They are a very confused mixed breed, and you never know what to expect with them.

I had to put down my shelter rescued (the one dog I took home from the shelter while I worked there) black lab/border collie mix about a year and a half ago. He was somewhere between 14 and 18 years old (I always leaned towards the 18, I think he was about 8 years old when I got him). He was the smartest dog I ever saw, and I saw a lot of dogs over the 5 years I worked at the shelter.

I just got past it enough to be ready for another. I would like to get a big dog, but don't have the space right now (2nd floor apartment). If it looks like I am going to move in the next 6 months I will look for a Mastiff mix, a Beauvier De Flanders mix, or a good old fashioned mutt. I still have some contacts at the shelter, I will probably just go to them and tell them to find me a smart, even tempered dog over 75 lbs. If it looks like I will be in the apartment for a considerable amount of time, I will probably go with a Jack Russell mix.

For anyone that doesn't know what a Beauvier is (I get that question lots), they are French police dogs, and about the only good thing to come out of France. Tough as nails, as loyal as any Pitt Bull, smart, bad ass mo-fos. If anyone is in the market for a pure breed of something (please consider adopting first), I would highly recomend Beauv's.

No dogs... never will. Smell like shit, poop everywhere, cost a fortune, annoying as fvck when they jump on you and lick you, there are hardly any redeeming qualities IMO.

Actually, if you train them they rule. I have two dogs and one of them is 6 months old. They don't jump, bark, or lick unless told to. Yes, they lick on command and that command is "kisses". Gay yes, annoying? not at all. Plus, my wife makes them smell like coconut so they don't smell either. Again, gay? Yes. Annoying? Nope

Actually, if you train them they rule. I have two dogs and one of them is 6 months old. They don't jump, bark, or lick unless told to. Yes, they lick on command and that command is "kisses". Gay yes, annoying? not at all. Plus, my wife makes them smell like coconut so they don't smell either. Again, gay? Yes. Annoying? Nope

You are 100% correct. The dogs that are annoying and smell bad are the dogs that people don't train or take the time to keep clean. My dog seldomly barks, always smells clean, and pretty much does whatever he is told. He can lay on the floor in the living room and not beg while we are eating. In fact, I can leave the room with my dinner, regardless of what it is, sitting on the end table or couch or even the floor and he will not touch it. He is part of the family and better behaved than most children...and adults for that matter...that I know.

I have a long hair 10 month old Dashhound named Diesel, and a 4 month old Shepperd lab mix named Baley. Diesel tries to hump everything and digs massive holes in my yard and Baley chews the shit out of everything. We love them to death and wouldn't have it any other way. GOOD THREAD!

I'll just enjoy other peoples dogs.

I don't like cleaning up pet hair. And I have all hardwood floors so they'd be constantly busting their face on walls anyway.

Our German Shorthair died of old age 2 years ago. We might pick up another or a Boxer next year.

I don't know if the owners never trained them or what, but every single boxer I've ever been around has been the absolute DUMBEST dog I've witnessed.

I mean.. walk into walls dumb.

Is it because they're so inbred?

what you got, a Kangal? I'm thinking they're more of a protective dog than a hunter though. They'll fight wolves to the death.

I don't know if the owners never trained them or what, but every single boxer I've ever been around has been the absolute DUMBEST dog I've witnessed.

I mean.. walk into walls dumb.

Is it because they're so inbred?

I'm not sure where they rank on dumbness. I've heard they're great with people as well as being socialble. Here's a list which agrees with some I've seen before, although I was surprised about the beagle being on there: http://doggies.com/blog/2008/06/20/dumbest-dogs/

100 lb black lab, Bud. He really cramps the hell out of the Duckblind, but is the best dog I've ever owned. Great demeanor, & great around my kids. Can ruin your day if he needs to though.

The dirt on his nose was from chasing a black racer snake into his hole. He got it.

I have a German Shepard that just turned 1 yesterday -

His name is Colonel Klink.

We just resued a mutt a couple months ago - looks like a boxer and a mastif....

I really have no idea what she is - but she poops a lot

We have a two year old Shetland Sheepdog named Dasher. The trophy he won was for best purebred at a contest the local animal shelter had for a fundraiser. It's more of a joke because it's actually a leftover dancing trophy a local dance school donated, but my wife still likes to call him our award winning dog. :P

xmas2008022.jpg

85 lb Old English Sheepdog, probably also Airedale terrier.

He was a stray at 5 months, had long legs and big feet, and was so smart, when I took him to puppy training,

the instructor took me aside and said "you have a very, very special, super intelligent dog there. He has been learning

all these tricks by watching the other dogs. He's amazing."

His favorite toy was a soft vinyl Browns football.

So, we named him Bernie Kosar.

He's eight years old now. We lost out one very old kitty to diabetes after years of that..

and some months later we got a new calico kitten from an old friend.

When we brought her home, Bernie whined for her to be let out. Now, she's grown a little, but Bernie

is her big brother. She runs up her cat tree, runs back down, runs over and boxes Bernie's nose, then scampers

back up her tree.

Bernie gets a silly look on his face like "what the heck? GGG", and watches.

Once though, she took a flying leap off the couch, and landed on his tail, and nailed him a bit with ner claws.

Then Bernie jumps up, wheels around, and barked at her.

She disappeared out of the room, and a minute later, she ran back in and laid down in front of him. So,

he laid back down, and she kept inching forward and gently touching his paws...

Life is fun around here, and a wonderful pup is a very best friend.

Archived