THE BROWNS BOARD

What kind of dog do you own?

Guest ATENEARS

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have three dogs...it's what happens when you mix families (a la the Brady Bunch) LOL!!

Daisy is our 10+ (we're not really sure) golden/setter mix. She's a great dog. Lots of hair.

Buddy (red and white) is our 8 yr old basenji and Sally (brindle and white) is a 10 yr old basenji. I adopted them from a Basenji rescue. I've had basenji's for going on 20 years now. Interesting breed...barkless, short hair, little/no odor...but unbelievably smart.

Here's a pic of all three:

cheesetime.jpg

and my favorite pic of Buddy:

buddy_face_close.jpg

I need to get some new pictures of them uploaded...but you get the idea!

17 year old Border collie, who also is nearing the end. never liked water or had any interest in catching a frisbee but was named the greatest dog ever by a universal vote.

Holy shit that sounds like my 4 year old Border mix! He won't touch a frisbee or the water but he speaks fluent english, some spanish (because we try to say 'outside' and 'eat' without him knowing. But he figured it out!), He analyzes situations before always making the most polite, civil, and correct decision. He's incredible. I have friends beg me to watch him when we go out of town. And so I totaly feel for you and the situation. Best of luck.

i have three beagles and they're pretty much the cutest dogs in the world. sorry losers, your dogs just can't hack it.

It's not even close, Beagles are the cutest dogs in the world, I have nine-year-old Beagle named "Brownie" that was born December 25, 1999, the first Christmas after the Browns re-birth, and was named by the members of this board after an infamous "puppy naming contest" that I was accused of using as a diversion to take the heat off of my beloved Tim Couch (Yes, guys, I used to be a QB Fag ... takes one to know one.)

She just wants to see the Browns win a playoff game before she dies, she still growls when she sees Dennis Northcutt on TV.

Zombo

--HagII told me that the "Kisses" name was chosen by Skippy, not the little girl.

No dogs... never will. Smell like shit, poop everywhere, cost a fortune, annoying as fvck when they jump on you and lick you, there are hardly any redeeming qualities IMO.

LMAO!! Thought you were talking about me there for a minute Plat!

Rotty named Ladybug. Bug for short. She likes to eat stuff. Motor oil on the driveway. Hot embers as they pop out of the firepit. And tree trunks.

Black lab/retriever mix named shadow. Acts sweet, but a straight up douche. Bastard looks over his shoulder every morning to see if you're watching. If you are, he potty's in the appropriate area, the gravel. If you're not, the grass.

And a golden/yellow lab (or whatever cleared the fence first) named Punkin. Cute but dumb. Afraid of everything.

The ex has the long haired chihuahua. Cujo.

That is the best thing ever. I have a dog almost identical (2 eyes) but he is black and white. He's nuts.

Lol. Kosar, that reminds me of "The Jerk"... Steve Martin writing his Black mom a letter about a woman he met...

"You'd love her mom, she looks just like you. Except she's white and blond." :lol:

Dogs are good.

I've got a 7 yr old Mutt named Abbe that was the offspring of a pound rescue. . . my friend rescued a dog from a pound, and 5 puppies came with her about 9 weeks later. (She literally got knocked up on her way out the door!). And I'll argue that she may have been one of the cutest puppies I've ever seen. We have no idea her exact breed-mix, but most think she's a shepherd / sheltie / golden mix of some kind. She's about 40 Lbs, lean, and has a shepherd style body.

Best personality you'll ever find. Very friendly, very playful, energetic, great around kids, and most other dogs (She gets annoyed when dogs are constantly up in her grill). Incredibly soft fur. . . couldn't ask for a better dog.

abbe13.gif

abbe2.gif

In the interest of space, here are some links for more great pics of the dog. . .

Abbe Pic 1

Abbe Pic 2

Abbe Pic 3

Abbe Pic 4

I always liked Basenji's but heard they could have some aggression problems. Like I said, I may be looking for a smallish dog sometime in the near future, do you have any problems with them nipping at people?

Yes, they can have aggression problems, like any breed that isn't properly socialized (that sounds so preachy, doesn't it???)

Seriously, it depends on so many things, good breeding is a help, but not necessarily the biggest or most important factor. What is most important is the socialization. Let them meet many people and dogs frequently and they will be good dogs.

My first basenji, Zeke was a holy terror. Never really liked anybody except his family, but he did bite even me a couple of times. That was mostly my fault. I wasn't familiar with the breed and didn't realize the socialization they needed. He got better for awhile when we did regular training but other things got in the way and his training lacked.

The two I have now are much different. Buddy is afraid of men so will snap/growl every now and then. But he is really good with women and other dogs (don't know about kids as we don't have any).

Sally on the other hand is WONDERFUL with people, but not so great with other dogs.

Many basenji's tend to be a little stand-off-ish, but not necessarily mean. See if you can find someone close to you at Basenji Rescue and Transport if you want to meet one!

Archived