THE BROWNS BOARD

What We Can Accomplish This Year

shepwrite

I wanna start by pointing out that Brodney Pool had a really terrific game with 6 tackles, 4 PDs, and 1 pick. He was almost a first round pick because he's a spectacular athlete, and I think it's starting to show. Abe Elam is kind of the enforcer, a guy who likes to put his nose in there, and I'm starting to feel like we have a really nice sets of safeties. Pool is like a third corner.

My point is that we have an opportunity to solidify the foundation of a better team to be built in the offseason. If Corey Williams continues to reemerge, I think these guys could be keepers in a starting lineup on D: Pool, Elam, Jackson, Wimbley, Rodgers, Williams, Wright. Rubin will probably have a bigger role and other guys might stay around for depth. I think Bowens has been a bust; Coleman and Robaire just never get a push, but they could be decent two-down guys.

That's seven starters. It may not be possible to find four new starters in one offseason, but I'm betting we'll get at least three. It's possible that Veikune will be ready to step into the middle without screwing up too many assignments. I think we'll look for faster, more athletic players at OLB and DE... and a legit corner to start opposite Wright.

On offense, Harrison and Massoquoi look like big parts of the future, and the hope is that Robiskie gets his chance, too. Braylon Edwards will not be on this team next year, so I expect that we'll be adding a veteran to go with those two and Furrey. The ideal situation is that Massoquoi becomes our #1, which he very much looked like on Sunday. I think we have some really nice pieces on the line in Thomas, Steinbach, Mack, and Hadnot, all young guys who will be even better next year. We need an upgrade at right tackle, although St. Clair played a nice game yesterday.

We have almost nothing at tight end and we'll need a complement to Harrison on the backfield. That guy could be James Davis, but we have no way of knowing right now. I think we're likely to make a pretty serious move there.

Lots of needs: WR, RB, RT, DE, CB, and OLB seem like the must-haves... IF we can go with Anderson. When you're looking for six new starters, you're likely to trade out and get more picks AND find three legit guys in free agency.

Pool look so much better at safety when he has half field responsibility. So, with this group, a cover two defense zone defense seems to be the base that is needed. Where Pool looks lost is when he is set in a single more traditional FS he is slow to react.

The only part I would add to your post is that I think an upgrade at TE is needed as much as a big back. They play a lot of two TE looks and a TE that can block and also be athletic enough that teams can't cover him with a LB is important.

My understanding is the Cribbs experiment as the #2 WR is over and Robo will get some field time in the coming weeks. Cribbs may get some time at RB. If Harrison and Lewis are splitting carries then Cribbs just may end up as the 3rd down back. I have always thought that could be his best position, other then special teams. He is a weapon and teams would have to respect him as a RB and also as a back motioning out of the backfield. When you motion your TE back into the backfield that frees up Cribbs to get out into a pattern and it's like a 4 WR set.

But, I still think we need to upgrade the safety position and CB position. We need a premier RB and also a solid, young RT. We are slow at LB and definately need to upgrade there. You need another bookend OLB. Bowens is just a stopgap there and Hall seems to be one demensional. Barton is also a stopgap. He has veteran savy, which this defense needs but he is slow. I know I might be stepping on some toes but Jackson is good but he will never be great. He is too undisciplined and is one of the reasons our run defense is bad. He constantly gets caught out of position and overruns plays not protecting his gap, allowing vast cutback lanes.

I wouldn't count on Steinbach being here after this year. I battled for him this year knowing he is a true professional but he doesn't fit Mangini's system and comes with too big a price tag for someone nearing the downside of his career. As for now, Steinbach is very valuable to this line and may end up at RT if ST Clair falters again and Hadnot gets healthy. You may also look for the Browns to bring Tucker back in after week 6.

Then you wind up back at the big decision, what to do at QB. WE all know that sooner or later the bad DA will resurface, such is the life when you are rolling with a gunslinger. Best case senerio is Mangini and Daball can real him in a bit without taking away his aggressiveness. If they can put a solid line and a running game with Anderson he could work out, but then again a solid line and a good running game makes a lot of QBs better.

I actually thought Harrison showed he CAN run between the tackles and get some lean. It was a very nice outing. Another thing we can find out this season is how Harrison handles 20 carries a game week after week. There are plenty of small-ish backs having success around the league as every down backs.

I think Harrison can be an every down back.

He averaged 30 carries per game his sr yr at WAZZU

I'll just add to get to the playoff level, IMHO other than Wimbley, ALL the LB positions need to be upgraded, as well as DE.

I think Harrison can be an every down back if given the chance. We will need more depth at RB, because IMHO Lewis is done.

Yeah, we'll be shopping for another wr, because Edwards almost certainly bough his ticket out of town with this last incident. Forgivable if you're an absolute stud, but not if you're continually dropping passes that hit you in the hands. BE has probably already dropped more passes than Ozzie Newsome did in his entire career. We didn't draft this guy to be a Quincy Morgan, we drafted him to be another Marvin Harrison or Chris Carter- there's no way he's ever going to get to that level, and his price tag next year is going to be way too high.

Ah, what to do about DA? He showed slightly better decision making on Sunday- but he's Mr. Unclutch. With the game on the line has the guy ever stepped up and won it for us with a big play?

Ah, what to do about DA? He showed slightly better decision making on Sunday- but he's Mr. Unclutch. With the game on the line has the guy ever stepped up and won it for us with a big play?

CBS ran a graphic that said Anderson had 5 game winning drives in his career.

Harrison looks as if he can be an every day back but its to early to tell from a durability standpoint...DA can be our guy he is still young and can learn unlike flacco DA has had an extremely rough road from baltimore waiver to browns bench to unexpected starter...we sometimes forget the kid was thrown in raw with a really bad qb coach and embattled staff..

Lets give him some time to see if he can bring us consistant play we know he has an arm and has improved his defense reads greatly he has sparked the team and has chemistry going with daboll...

We need at least one DE and 2 LBs and one thumper of a safety on defense...;)

What's the source? I'd love to see this. Harrison has speed and hits the hole but he goes down too easy to be a elite back. Nice complement, though.

Been begging for Cribbs to be our rB since we drafted him. His college coach said he would have been drafted day one had he played him at RB. His legs are tree trunks, his explosion and vision are phenominal.

CBS ran a graphic that said Anderson had 5 game winning drives in his career.

Double that number, and you'll have his game losing drives.

What's the source? I'd love to see this. Harrison has speed and hits the hole but he goes down too easy to be a elite back. Nice complement, though.

My son was at Mangini's press conference Monday and that was the rumor. Mangini only said that the staff will continue to evaluate players and find additional ways they can help the team. He also said about the WildDawg formation using Cribbs; that the team needs to establish a role for him so that when he enters the game teams won't be waiting for the WildDawg and adjust their personnel and formations accordingly.

That's when he said to a ABJ staff writer that Robo has earned more time on the field from his work with the scout team and you should see him getting some reps at WR.

If you think the Browns would be looking to replace DQJ, you're on massive amounts of crack. He's close to joining the elite and might make the Pro Bowl this year or next. He was REALLY good Sunday (14 tackles, a whopping 13 SOLO!!).

Then again, we're the Browns. We'll probably let the Steelers or New England have him. "We know DQJ led the NFL in tackles last year and is currently tied for third... but we just think we can do better."

Yikes.

Man you just don't understand and apparently don't watch the games very close. Did you ever stop action a play and see Jackson run with the flow of the play and the guard come out and seal him and create and nice seam for the RB to cut back (happens too often). BTW, Andra Davis used to lead the team in tackles also. Know, I didn't say he was a bum. I said he was a good LB but unless Ryan and staff can get him to play more under control, get off/shed blocks better and realize he has gap responsibility he will never take the next step and be an all pro LB. He needs to play within the scheme and free lancing isn't in this scheme because of the quality of LBs playing with him. He does play with intensity, sometimes to a fault. Ray Lewis plays with great intensity, but he sheds blocks well and has far better backside help then this team can supply Jackson. Their plan is for Lewis to blow up the play and the SOLB slide over and the SS come up to protect his gap from cutback runs. So, they seal the cutback lanes. Barton is too slow so Jackson needs to play within the scheme. Also, where do you thnk Jackson was when Balt and Minn were running around the ends not even being touched. He gets caught up in traffic because he doesn't shed blocks well. Also, he isn't the greatest in coverage.

But, he is good and with a better compliment he could be real good. He just isn't among the elite at his position.

Lots of needs: WR, RB, RT, DE, CB, and OLB seem like the must-haves... IF we can go with Anderson. When you're looking for six new starters, you're likely to trade out and get more picks AND find three legit guys in free agency.

Thats all Ive been saying,

Having the QB situation solved will give us alot more flexibilty in the draft,but if we need a QB thats the first round,if not you trade down and get a few more picks and fill a few more positions faster.

I gree there may just be too many needs to lock into a QB at the top of round 1.

Guest Masters
I gree there may just be too many needs to lock into a QB at the top of round 1.

If a franchise QB is there and CLE doesn't have one (which I think most agree they don't), you have to take him.

God, I sound like Rich.... :unsure:

If a franchise QB is there and CLE doesn't have one (which I think most agree they don't), you have to take him.

God, I sound like Rich.... :unsure:

I think you are right on both counts. Anderson and Quinn have until season's end to prove we do not need a future QB

Man you just don't understand and apparently don't watch the games very close. Did you ever stop action a play and see Jackson run with the flow of the play and the guard come out and seal him and create and nice seam for the RB to cut back (happens too often). BTW, Andra Davis used to lead the team in tackles also. Know, I didn't say he was a bum. I said he was a good LB but unless Ryan and staff can get him to play more under control, get off/shed blocks better and realize he has gap responsibility he will never take the next step and be an all pro LB. He needs to play within the scheme and free lancing isn't in this scheme because of the quality of LBs playing with him. He does play with intensity, sometimes to a fault. Ray Lewis plays with great intensity, but he sheds blocks well and has far better backside help then this team can supply Jackson. Their plan is for Lewis to blow up the play and the SOLB slide over and the SS come up to protect his gap from cutback runs. So, they seal the cutback lanes. Barton is too slow so Jackson needs to play within the scheme. Also, where do you thnk Jackson was when Balt and Minn were running around the ends not even being touched. He gets caught up in traffic because he doesn't shed blocks well. Also, he isn't the greatest in coverage.

But, he is good and with a better compliment he could be real good. He just isn't among the elite at his position.

Good analysis. I like to compare him with Ben Taylor who had a 21 tackle game against the Patriots. Jackson makes some really great plays and gives up at least a few a game as well. He's great at backside pursuit, but often struggles at the point of attack. I don't think he'll improve getting off blocks though, which is why I feel they need to upgrade all 4 linebacker spots. Jackson is the lowest priority at the position. I don't think he'd start for the Steelers or Ravens or even the Bengals, though.

He did have one of his better games last Sunday, I thought.

Guest Masters
My problem is I'm not sold on any QB coming out is that Franchise QB. Bradford will now have health and arm strength questions. I think McCoy is another system QB, after that you see a lot of projects who MIGHT be good.

I am a bit higher on McCoy than you. Not saying he's a can't miss, but that kid looks to have it all, except ideal height. There is still a lot of football to be played and the guys that might be legit should show themselves as the season goes on.

I am with you on Bradford though. Something about that guy just reeks of bust, but I can't put my finger quite on what it is. Of course I could be off my rocker

Remember that the experts didn't think Drew Brees had enough arm strength to play in the NFL. I haven't watched McKoy like I did Brees though. How does McCoy's size and arm strength compare to Brees?

For this year the playoffs are out of reach now, too many tough games left. I want to see constant improvement. I would also like to know what we have in the other rookies so we can evaluate draft needs better.

If you think the Browns would be looking to replace DQJ, you're on massive amounts of crack. He's close to joining the elite and might make the Pro Bowl this year or next. He was REALLY good Sunday (14 tackles, a whopping 13 SOLO!!).

Then again, we're the Browns. We'll probably let the Steelers or New England have him. "We know DQJ led the NFL in tackles last year and is currently tied for third... but we just think we can do better."

Yikes.

Tackles 5 yards into the secondary don't mean jack, jack. So he's way up there in tackles. Like besides Shawn Rodgers our D-line blows dead worms, so he should be way up there in tackles. Go look up his TFL and sacks, and get back to me. I've seen all the elite ILBs going all the way back to Butkus, and trust me Jackson sure as hell ain't one of them.

Ya DA Bears or Ravens would be really happy to trade Urlacher or Lewis to us straight up for Jackson right now. Uh, NOT.

Screw mediocrity.

Tackles 5 yards into the secondary don't mean jack, jack. So he's way up there in tackles. Like besides Shawn Rodgers our D-line blows dead worms, so he should be way up there in tackles. Go look up his TFL and sacks, and get back to me. I've seen all the elite ILBs going all the way back to Butkus, and trust me Jackson sure as hell ain't one of them.

Ya DA Bears or Ravens would be really happy to trade Urlacher or Lewis to us straight up for Jackson right now. Uh, NOT.

Screw mediocrity.

I tend to agree.

Andra Davis took a lot of heat on this board and Jackson isn't playing all that better.

I don't know if it is because the line is weak as you note or if our backers aren't allowed or can't step up to the line to make a stop, but they do tend to wait for the action to come to them.

Archived