THE BROWNS BOARD

2010 Mocks

shepwrite

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. Clausen sure looks good to me. What are you guys seeing?

His numbers are sick. I just love the way DA starts, loses a game, is named the saviour, and another domer comes ripping into the picture.

The timing is fab. You can't make this stuff up.

Another Domer comes into the picture...after Quinn is traded in April

Let me guess. The Browns end up 3-13 take Clausen and everybody expect him to be the starter. Anderson's bonus is picked up which divides Browns nation(the smart fans know it shouldn't be picked up). Clausen holds out which costs him from starting right away, Anderson starts the season and thanks to a weak schedule, starts 7-4, but miss the playoffs as they blow it against the Bengals as Anderson throws 4 picks and finish 10-6, losing a tie breaker with Pittsburgh which Anderson went 13-37 passing during the last game they played. DA puts up a 84QB rating but faded during the year.

So we go into the offseason, everybody expects Anderson to be gone, but wala, Mankok resign him to a extension and says there will be a QB competition between Anderson and Clausen plus they are comfortable with whoever starts.

Browns football, the gift that keeps on giving.

We don't need to draft a QB if Quinn develops faster than the average QB.

One problem I think Ive realized with Quinn this year (and it came to me after watching the Raiders vs Chargers game this year) was that Usually the first starting season or two that a QB undertakes (as mentioned by the commentators) the majority of targets go to the tight end over the middle. Mainly because the routes are shorter and the TE is a big target and a good check down. Problem is, as we have discovered, Robert Royal does a shitty Kellen Winslow imitation. We saw last year Quinn and Kellen hook up big time, this is natural for a young QB. When I was watching the Raider game Russel was hitting up that TE all night.

In our first 3 games Royal dropped a SHIT TON of passes. Against Cincy Royal dropped like 2 passes. Clearly the loss of Winslow hurt Quinns development, this is why I was really mad that we let Rucker go, as he is a pass catching TE. Hopefully Quinn in the future can overcome this issue. If he cannot, I am in full support of drafting a QB or going to DA. I still think he needs more time, but I agree with Atenears post in the other thread about DA llowing us to evaluate our other players better. I still think Quinn can be our QB of the future, but maybe not just right now, and maybe thats the plan.

As far as this draft is concerned, if you ask me about QB's, I like Pike, and Tebow.

But I would love it if we drafted Dez Bryant or Taylor Mays.... Not a big Berry fan, he spells bust to me

We don't need to draft a QB if Quinn develops faster than the average QB.

You really think Quinn is still in this org's long-term plans after how all of this shit has gone down? Really??

Draft for the core, whether it's QB, RB, WR, corner, DE, or linebacker.

I say draft for impact. I want an Ed Reed, Patrick Willis type for our D. I don't like any of the QBs, don't think there are any Peterson or Fitzgerald types on offense, and don't like the idea of banking on fat guys (except for left tackles) at the top of round 1. I'm definitely on the Berry/Mays wagon.

From the draft gurus....I'm kinda wondering how many badass, top-5 type safeties have busted lately. I'm pretty set on Berry or Mays, and really don't want to end up with another weak armed, overhyped quarterback or the next Gerard Warren, Courtney Brown, etc.

Thank you!

If Berry or Mays is on the board when we draft and we don't take one of the, I'm xxxxing done with this team and will wish nothing but bad fortune on them from there on out.

Another Domer comes into the picture...after Quinn is traded in April

Let me guess. The Browns end up 3-13 take Clausen and everybody expect him to be the starter. Anderson's bonus is picked up which divides Browns nation(the smart fans know it shouldn't be picked up). Clausen holds out which costs him from starting right away, Anderson starts the season and thanks to a weak schedule, starts 7-4, but miss the playoffs as they blow it against the Bengals as Anderson throws 4 picks and finish 10-6, losing a tie breaker with Pittsburgh which Anderson went 13-37 passing during the last game they played. DA puts up a 84QB rating but faded during the year.

So we go into the offseason, everybody expects Anderson to be gone, but wala, Mankok resign him to a extension and says there will be a QB competition between Anderson and Clausen plus they are comfortable with whoever starts.

Browns football, the gift that keeps on giving.

For some reason, this scenario is all to possible with this org.

From the draft gurus....I'm kinda wondering how many badass, top-5 type safeties have busted lately. I'm pretty set on Berry or Mays, and really don't want to end up with another weak armed, overhyped quarterback or the next Gerard Warren, Courtney Brown, etc.

LaRon Landry was the 6th pick in the '07 draft. While not a bust, the Redskins have to be a little disappointed that he hasn't been much of a playmaker (2 sacks, 2 picks, and 2 forced fumbles in 36 games).

And this was embarrassing:

Michael Huff was taken with the 7th pick of the '06 draft. Until this year, he was considered a major bust, to the point that many thought he wouldn't even make the team this year. But he seems to have finally put it together, picking off three passes in the first two games of this season. Always had great range, but he's not very smart and gets destroyed against the run.

On the other hand, Roy Williams - the 7th pick in '04 - looked like a perennial All Pro early in his career before his coverage issues were exposed. Now, he's pretty much a pure box defender.

The reason there haven't been more busts is that taking a safety that high is pretty rare. The last safety picked in the top five was Sean Taylor back in '04. Before that? Eric Turner in 1991.

As of now, I'm all for taking Berry. But I wouldn't include Mays on the "must pick" list; there are a few d-linemen and edge rushers I'd strongly consider picking ahead of him. And if a true franchise QB is available, I draft him and take another safety in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Good stuff Alo. I'm a Texas man and never really saw the hype with Mike Huff. I think he won the award for the nation's top DB, but he never really seemed to make an impact...no big hits, circus picks, etc.

And living in Cowboys country now...I think the trouble with Williams is more than the coverage everyone talks about. The last couple years it seemed like he pretty much stopped hitting people altogether. His first few years were exactly what I'd be looking for in a top pick, though.

I'd be fine drafting a quarterback if there were a franchise one in the draft....but none of them look like anything special. OU's offense really boosted Bradford's stock (and his backup just put up school records if I remember right). McCoy and Snead seem more like "gamers" than quarterbacks. Don't know anything about Pike though.

I just think drafting D-linemen, or O-linemen besides LT high in the draft is too much of a crapshoot. I think it's too easy (relatively) to dominate the trenches in college just by being the biggest, strongest guy out there. Not to mention that they can easily get worn out, unmotivated, etc. Once they get to the pros and everyone else is just as big and strong, you never know what they can do.

I just think drafting D-linemen, or O-linemen besides LT high in the draft is too much of a crapshoot. I think it's too easy (relatively) to dominate the trenches in college just by being the biggest, strongest guy out there. Not to mention that they can easily get worn out, unmotivated, etc. Once they get to the pros and everyone else is just as big and strong, you never know what they can do.

Hopefully, Mangini's emphasis on character would help us avoid a character-based draft bust. Then again, it could also lead to us passing on a guy like Warren Sapp.

Your other point is a good one: it's why I don't generally watch cupcake games and try to focus on good vs. good matchups.

For instance, here's a clip of Ndamukong Suh (#93) dominating VTech offensive guard Sergio Render, who's playing RG in this clip.

Render may not start at the next level because he isn't very athletic, but he's freakishly strong. So it's all the more impressive to see Suh push him around.

Also, it's why I didn't buy the "Orakpo is the next Gholston" argument. Loadholt's good enough to start for the Vikings, and Orakpo made him look silly.

After a quiet start to the season, Orakpo has notched a sack, a TFL, and a QB hit in each of the past two games. That's very impressive for a guy who's making the switch to playing linebacker.

Al - in that Jacobs/Landry clip: In all fairness to LaRon, who hasn't Jacobs done that to?

As (one of) the resident Domer Homer on the board here's my take on Clausen v. Quinn: Clausen has the stronger arm, Quinn was the better all around QB. Clausen has a much better supporting cast in the skilled positions. Both guys are winners. One positive with Jimmy is that I see he has more ceiling than Quinn. As his confidence improves - whoa. He gets hot, and sick.

That said, my only interest in taking Clausen would be to make osusev's life miserable. :D

Although, I'd like to get Kyle Rudolph, yesterday.

We won't be drafting an OL anywhere near the top of round one. Only left tackles go that high and we already have ours. I could see us drafting a right tackle type in round 2 or 3... but I think it's more likely we look to sign a veteran there. Draft for the core, whether it's QB, RB, WR, corner, DE, or linebacker.

Linebacker or DE or CB. Sign a WR in free-agency.

Dude

Bradford > Clausen any day of the week. Who cares if he is hurt right now? People can recover from injuries (someone tell walter this...) Didn't a guy named Peterson have injury issues too?? :rolleyes: If we pick a QB I hope to God it's Bradford, but I'd take a linebacker over a QB at this point. Give Anderson/Quinn 1 more year

Wow. Clausen sure looks good to me. What are you guys seeing?

He's on NBC every Sat. Give him a watch this week. He needs another year. He comes out this season and it's a year early. He has the physicals, it just looks like Floyd and Tate make him look good with their taking short passes long. He doesn't fit the ball into windows. He has a first round TE in Kyle Rudolph. He has a knack for tucking and running. I just don't see an NFL QB right now. I see him buying into Weis while throwing to some very good Div 1 talent.

And 4 straight weeks of down to the wire games, 3 of which he should have put away. I am a huge Domer and I like Jimmy Clausen ......... Just not for my fooling team. No way.

Al - in that Jacobs/Landry clip: In all fairness to LaRon, who hasn't Jacobs done that to?

As (one of) the resident Domer Homer on the board here's my take on Clausen v. Quinn: Clausen has the stronger arm, Quinn was the better all around QB. Clausen has a much better supporting cast in the skilled positions. Both guys are winners. One positive with Jimmy is that I see he has more ceiling than Quinn. As his confidence improves - whoa. He gets hot, and sick.

That said, my only interest in taking Clausen would be to make osusev's life miserable. :D

Although, I'd like to get Kyle Rudolph, yesterday.

Agree with all of that and yes Kyle Rudolph is having a nice season. Every week I keep asking when he will get the ball and the next play he is moving the chains. I like that safety that makes 5 huge plays a game - forget his name.

The Irish have talent. Weis can recruit. He can't get them playing well in all 3 phases often enough.

Vegas, If I get some time, I'll look for a clip of the Irish's 1st TD of the season. (yes it was v. Nevada but...)

Clausen threw a really nice seamer to Rudolph in the back of the endzone. I've never seen anybody take the ball out of the air like Rudolph did on that play. Not K2, not Randy Moss, no one. It was sick.

(had the search running while typing the post - pretty easy find.) so Here:

Clausen threw a really nice seamer to Rudolph in the back of the endzone. I've never seen anybody take the ball out of the air like Rudolph did on that play. Not K2, not Randy Moss, no one. It was sick.

Yeah I remember that. Kyle is fluid in the air. I miss seeing Floyd out there, but even before he got hurt I wanted to see more of Kyle Rudolph. He reminds me a little of Jeff Schmardjza in that he attacks the ball in every situation, just plays TE. That catch last week in the corner against UCLA - clutch. Clausen throws a nice fade, but that defender was horribly overmatched -- LOL it was awesome.

Rudolph looks great, but am I the only one who thinks Claussen's mechanics suck????????????? Along with Snead's and McCoy's?

Yeah, a lot of times when he throws my initial reaction is "huh?" but the ball gets where it needs to. Often times in a hurry.

His fade routes are what worry me most - mechanics and in-air-wise. It literally looks like he aims for one of the goalposts and tries to knock the wind flag off of the top of it. But they almost always are delivered perfectly to the receiver.

When Clausen threw his 1st pass for the Irish 3 years ago, I thought he might have been left-handed, and just nobody would listen to him. But I sure do enjoy watching him on Saturdays.

another little thing about Rudolph: He kept splitting his XXL gloves and now wears XXXL's which according to Weis are still too tight.

Archived