THE BROWNS BOARD

Massaquoi could be a bigger star than Edwards

mastadave99999

ESPN-Mohamed Massaquoi could be a bigger srat than Edwards

Thursday, October 8, 2009 | Print Entry

Adam Schefter answers readers' questions nearly every day in his blog. Have a query of your own? Submit it right here.

It's wide receiver day here in the blog, with every question pertaining to the NFL's flashiest playmakers. Without further ado ...

Q: Two questions about the Braylon Edwards deal: 1) Where would you rank Braylon among the NFL's best receivers? Is he really a legitimate No. 1 target? Does he make the Jets that much better? 2) Cleveland's offense somehow just got even worse. Who's going to be the No. 1 guy there now? Is this just a pure rebuilding move?

-- Dennis (Nazareth, Pa.)

To read Adam's take on the Braylon Edwards deal, plus his insights on the Larry Fitzgerald-Andre Johnson debate and whether or not the Cowboys miss Terrell Owens, you must be an ESPN Insider. Insider

Does anyone have that ESPN insider access so we can all read this article?

Thanks

HERE YOU GO............

Thursday, October 8, 2009 | Print Entry

Adam Schefter answers readers' questions nearly every day in his blog. Have a query of your own? Submit it right here.

It's wide receiver day here in the blog, with every question pertaining to the NFL's flashiest playmakers. Without further ado ...

Q: Two questions about the Braylon Edwards deal: 1) Where would you rank Braylon among the NFL's best receivers? Is he really a legitimate No. 1 target? Does he make the Jets that much better? 2) Cleveland's offense somehow just got even worse. Who's going to be the No. 1 guy there now? Is this just a pure rebuilding move?

-- Dennis (Nazareth, Pa.)

To read Adam's take on the Braylon Edwards deal, plus his insights on the Larry Fitzgerald-Andre Johnson debate and whether or not the Cowboys miss Terrell Owens, you must be an ESPN Insider.

A: Dennis: Like my friend Pat Kirwan says, offenses don't determine No. 1 wideouts. Defenses do. If they roll coverages towards a receiver, he's the No. 1. And defenses will look to roll them to Braylon. Saying that, I watched Browns wideout Mohamed Massaquoi on Sunday versus Cincinnati and thought, he looks more like a star than Edwards. Think he'll be the new No. 1 in Cleveland. (I already picked him up in my fantasy league).

Q: Is it true that wide receivers are always the prima donnas of the football field? Or is it just those few loud voices (T.O., Moss, Crabtree) that give everyone else a bad name?

-- Nate (Chicago)

A: They don't call them receiva divas for nothing, Nate. It's almost like there are these players that line up on the outside that need the ball and need the attention. And many of them get it. It goes beyond the list you mentioned. My co-workers, Keyshawn Johnson and Cris Carter, were mentioned in some of those categories. But they produced. And if you produce, and can play, then teams are more apt to put up with it.

Q: I'm a big Cardinals fan, but as a Miami alum I'm also a big Andre Johnson fan. I think if he and Larry Fitzgerald swapped teams, Johnson would be just as good as Fitz if not better. Back me up here. My buddies think I'm nuts.

-- Steve (Scottsdale, Ariz.)

A: You're not, Steve. Larry is fantastic. But Andre Johnson might just be the best package of size, speed and strength of any receiver in the game. In fact, I don't know if there's another receiver I'd rather have on my team than Johnson. Fitzgerald is tremendous. But Johnson is as, if not more, tremendous.

Q: Andy Reid says it takes three years for a rookie WR to learn the intricacies of a pro offense. What kind of delay, if any, would you expect Braylon Edwards to have as he switches teams? He knows more fundamentals than a rookie sure, but he still has to learn a whole new offense.

-- Kevin (Massapequa Park, N.Y.)

A: Kevin: Different deal and different situation. And with all due respect to Andy, every receiver is different. It didn't take DeSean Jackson three years to learn the Eagles offense. As long as Edwards works hard, he'll pick up the offense and make plays.

Q: How badly do the Cowboys miss T.O.? Roy Williams hasn't exactly been a stud, and if T.O. was there he'd still command double coverage. With that big fancy stadium to fill, you think Jerry Jones regrets letting him go?

-- Nick (Los Angeles)

A: I don't, Nick. Don't think Jerry regrets letting him go and don't think he's the reason Dallas' offense looked flat. Last week, the Cowboys ran the ball only eight times the entire second half. They had the chance to run the Broncos out of the game and got a little cute instead. They need to establish the run, and stick with the run, and have Tony Romo make some better decisions with the ball. And their playmakers make more plays when they get it.

Guest Masters

I have it. The answer to that question was:

"A: Dennis: Like my friend Pat Kirwan says, offenses don't determine No. 1 wideouts. Defenses do. If they roll coverages towards a receiver, he's the No. 1. And defenses will look to roll them to Braylon. Saying that, I watched Browns wideout Mohamed Massaquoi on Sunday versus Cincinnati and thought, he looks more like a star than Edwards. Think he'll be the new No. 1 in Cleveland. (I already picked him up in my fantasy league)."

There was one other question on it.

Q: Andy Reid says it takes three years for a rookie WR to learn the intricacies of a pro offense. What kind of delay, if any, would you expect Braylon Edwards to have as he switches teams? He knows more fundamentals than a rookie sure, but he still has to learn a whole new offense.

-- Kevin (Massapequa Park, N.Y.)

A: Kevin: Different deal and different situation. And with all due respect to Andy, every receiver is different. It didn't take DeSean Jackson three years to learn the Eagles offense. As long as Edwards works hard, he'll pick up the offense and make plays

Sez, it's a smart NFL beat writer saying he thought Massoquoi looked more like a star than Edwards. It's an observation. It says that Edwards is a spectacular athlete but maybe not a great WR: He runs sloppy routes and drops more passes than anybody in the league.

It's a smart observation. And we should like it very much, actually.

Just saying.. ONE game played does not a star make.. that and the double team was on braylon.. I have seen MANY, MANY really good recievers fade into oblivion when they move from the 2 to the 1 spot.. so let the guy at least get his cleats dirty for a game or two.. I hope he becomes a monster in this league for sure.. I will leave my crown in the box for now though

Wrong - you need to get yourself very stoked up and then completely and horribly let down..................just like the rest of us.

I am going the other way.. I am completely depressed and will end up with a glimmer of hope.. It worked last week. I was completely depressed after the first 3 weeks because we did not even look like a football team. Last week we at least looked like a team and gave good effort for 5 quarters.. I felt better after last week. Even though we still pretty much suck.. I am going in with Zero expectations again this week. I think Buffalo is better than they have played the first month.. I am not so sure I can say that about us.

Sez, it's a smart NFL beat writer saying he thought Massoquoi looked more like a star than Edwards. It's an observation. It says that Edwards is a spectacular athlete but maybe not a great WR: He runs sloppy routes and drops more passes than anybody in the league.

Its an accurate observation not even mentioning how many times edwards never even made an effort or a move for the ball while it was getting picked or that he sometimes stopped running and just gave up at the end of his route...

Guest Masters

The same thing could have been written about Andre Davis in week 3 of his rookie year in 2002, when he caught 5 balls for 99 yards and 2 TDs (or week 11 of the next season when he had 7 catches for 117 yards and a TD). Or how about Kevin Johnson who in his rookie year had a 7 catch 135 yard game.

It was one week. Did MoMass look better than Edwards last week? Sure he did. Did he look like a star? Nah, he looked like a #2 WR who made some plays. It wasn't anything anyone hasn't seen before from numerous NFL WR, including rookies.

Put that up back to back weeks, then you look like a star in the making.

Archived