THE BROWNS BOARD

Anybody read . . .

Chip Banks

. . . . that Quinn came out wearing Edward's orange shoes in some kind of show of support:

Browns backup quarterback Brady Quinn went to practice Wednesday wearing a shiny pair of orange shoes.

''They're Braylon's,'' Quinn said. ''Yeah, in honor of Braylon . . . ''

http://www.ohio.com/news/break_news/63720157.html

Hmmmmm. He went out of his way to make this point to a reporter??

. . . . that Quinn came out wearing Edward's orange shoes in some kind of show of support:

Browns backup quarterback Brady Quinn went to practice Wednesday wearing a shiny pair of orange shoes.

Yea Chip already posted.

Guest Masters

Where do you get that Quinn went out of his way to make this point to the reporter? Sounds more like Quinn was asked something along those lines and he said yeah to it.

I hate when articles and reporters give you a persons response, but never state the question asked originally.

Is that support for Edwards, or support for being traded off?

If it was support for being traded off, I think it would have been a lot more deliberate. This is obviously a response when he was asked a question, he didn't walk up to a mic and say it....

Like I stated in the other thread, unless there's some real understandable context behind the shoes it was a bad move by Quinn.

Like collosally bad. It reeks of not being on board with the team.

Sorta shocking. Maybe Lum's insider reports of Quinn being a <insert your favorite term> are legit. ;)

Oh, stop reading stuff into all this.

It could be Edwards just gave his shoes to Quinn as a joke.

Maybe it's a joke on himself, as in, maybe he's the next to get traded since he wasn't starting.

Maybe Anderson teased him about it, and Quinn took up the joke.

Maybe all sorts of things, who cares.

Just start winning football games.

geez.

If it was support for being traded off, I think it would have been a lot more deliberate. This is obviously a response when he was asked a question, he didn't walk up to a mic and say it....

So he wears orange shoes, walks in front of a female reporter and doesn't expect a question? And then when the question comes doesn't just blow it off? If that's how it even happened. When he put on the shoes he obviously did it to be noticed. WHY?

BTW, sorry to all for double posting in a new thread. . . I looked for it in an earlier thread title and didn't see it.

Guest Masters

All the article tells you is Quin wore orange shoes at practice, and someone asked about. Nothing more, nothing less. No where does it say he walked up to the reporter, walked by the reporter, or anything else.

"Browns backup quarterback Brady Quinn went to practice Wednesday wearing a shiny pair of orange shoes.

Maybe he was giving a wise crack answer when a reporter was silly enough to even ask him (notice the "....." at the end of the quote).

You'd think the second and third paragraph would garner more attention than Quinn commenting on his shoes.

"As Braylon Edwards was traded to the New York Jets on Wednesday morning, there were undercurrents of concern from his teammates about what the Browns' offense will be like without its talented but inconsistent No. 1 wide receiver.

No one seemed to believe that it made the Browns a better team, a question that even coach Eric Mangini dodged."

C'mon Masters, have some more Kool-Aid. This is addition by subtraction! How can you be skeptical that the team is better now that we've got some castoffs to be roster warmers.

It's much more important to focus on Quinn's shoes and make (unsubstantiated) claims about how he isn't a team player (despite all evidence to the contrary), than to worry about how this will affect the offense.

</sarcasm>

Guest Masters
C'mon Masters, have some more Kool-Aid. This is addition by subtraction! How can you be skeptical that the team is better now that we've got some castoffs to be roster warmers.

It's much more important to focus on Quinn's shoes and make (unsubstantiated) claims about how he isn't a team player (despite all evidence to the contrary), than to worry about how this will affect the offense.

</sarcasm>

I don't know what a I was thinking.....lol

Guest Masters
Quinn's not happy. He isn't on board. He thinks he got rooked after just 10 quarters with the reins too tight and a hole opposite Edwards, who can't catch. He thinks routes were sloppy (they were). I'm not saying I want Quinn starting because I don't... but he feels like we'd all feel right now. My guess is that he wants out.

Shep, I'd agree with everything you said except for "He isn't on board". That is pure speculation based on no evidence.

Guest Masters
As far as how Edwards' absence affects the team? He had 10 catches this season and was blanked in our best offensive performance. He sucked last year. I mean REALLY sucked.

Did he draw doubles? Probably. But there are those in the NFL who think that's why the notion of a #1 is a bit overrated. Brees spreads the ball around to everybody and that policy creates its own problems.

Maybe we can get that from Mo, Robo, Furrey, and Stuckey.

There is no probably about the doubles. Edwards since 2007 generally gets a CB with saftey help over the top on passing plays.

Guest Masters
You know we agree alot. But can you really come up with ANY plausible explanation in your head of why Quinn would wear those shoes out in public that makes him sound like he's supporting the Browns by doing it?

I agree it's not as big of a deal as some are making it out to be. But it's also not nothing. He's a smart kid. He KNEW that by wearing him that reporters would ask him why he was wearing them. SO what does wearing the shoes of a guy who got traded say exactly?

"I'm going to miss you Braylon, good luck in New York." ?? Come on...he could have said that to Braylon privately. Wearing those shoes is making a public statement. And I can't fathom how that public statement is "I support my coach and my team".

They are shoes. BE was not the only Browns player to ever wear them on this team. Let's for arguments sake he did wear them as nod to Edwards. What does that actually have to do w/ supporting the Browns.

Maybe he and Edwards were friends and it was Quinn's way of saying goodbye to his friend (is saying goodbye to a collegue really a crime against the team? It would be far more indicitive if he had a #17 on them or some other thing).

Maybe someone put him up to it because reporters and people would read way to much into it, and it would be a funny thing for guys in house to laugh at.

Maybe he was glad Edwards is gone and it was poking fun at Edwards.

Maybe he's had them for a while and just put them on w/o even thinking about Edwards (bad timing, nothing more).

Maybe he lost a bet and had to wear the orange shoes.

You lose me w/ the last part. Let's pretend what you said, Quinn said in public. Is that in any way not actually supporting the coach and the team by saying goodbye and wishing a teammate luck?

Shoes? Shoes? Were talking about shoes? (but imagine Allen Iverson saying it).

It's not out of the realm of posibility that it was Quinn's way of bucking the authority in Cleveland. I just think it is absolutely rediculous for people to jump to only that conclusion and treat it as if it were fact. I'd also think that if it was to give the finger to the Mangini and company, he would have never made it to the practice field in front of reporters with those on. Mangini or someone on staff would have told his ass to change them.

Not to mention to focus in on that when the second and third paragraph of that article is far more concerning about the team and their feelings about the trade. Those make it out like a lot of players aren't buying into the trade or supporting the team.

Guest Masters
And you know what my answer to you is? look at what has happened. Was it good for the team? He's smart enough to realize people would have had all these questions. And yet he still chose to wear the shoes. And I bet you he gets fined for it, if we hear about it.

AS for your second part.

So you don't like when reporters state an answer but don'tstate the question that was asked?

But you're 100% ready to believe more than one person in the locker room doesn't support the trade based on this one paragraph?

"As Braylon Edwards was traded to the New York Jets on Wednesday morning, there were undercurrents of concern from his teammates about what the Browns' offense will be like without its talented but inconsistent No. 1 wide receiver.

No one seemed to believe that it made the Browns a better team, a question that even coach Eric Mangini dodged."

No quotes from any players there either.

Of course there will be rumblings about "what does this mean for the offense" ect...but to extrapolate out that this means the team is somehow against the trade is making just as much about it as you think we are about the shoes.

Look at what happened? Well, what I see is one lone article with a quick one liner about the shoes and fans going on about it on a message board. I got to be honest, that isn't much to even look at happening. If two lines from that reporter and posts from people on a message board have any impact on the team (positive or negative), than they are far worse off than anyone of us could have ever imagined.

I didn't say I believe it one way or the other. If it came off as implied, that is accidental. All I said is people are focusing on the thing about the shoes and are glossing over that other part. I said I find those paragraph of that article are far more concerning (i.e. something I would think people would and probably should focus in on more than a quick sound bite about the shoes or that Quinn was wearing orange shoes) about the team and their feelings about the trade. Along with that those make it out (i.e. the article makes it out as such, not me) like a lot of players aren't buying into the trade or supporting the team.

There wasn't any player quotes, so that doesn't even go near my state pet peeve. This would fall under a different pet peeve, which would be the "unnamed source" type.

Guest Masters
Dear God.....we've been reduced to discussing the shoes our backup QB is wearing to practice.....I knew we were diehard insane fans, but never did I think we would go THERE.

It's kind of sad imo. How shitty is our favorite team when we are reduced to talking about a pair of shoes <_<

We're not discussing shoes ffs.

We're discussing a decision made by a player who, by all appearance, is very adept at managing his persona. Knowing this, what purpose would it serve for Quinn to make a "statement" by wearing an ex-player's shoes? It sure not a positive.

Do I think this is some mushroom cloud of an issue? No. However, it does create a kernel of concern as to Quinn's motivation and related mental state as a Cleveland Brown.

I don't understand this whole thing of Quinn being unpopular in the locker room.

That article also said this:

"Monday morning's alleged altercation was just one in a litany of incidents for Edwards since he was taken third overall in the 2005 draft. He was partying with Donte' Stallworth hours before Stallworth drove drunk and killed pedestrian Mario Reyes in Miami Beach in March. Last August, Edwards was stopped for driving 120 mph in a 65 mph zone on Interstate 90 in Avon. Edwards was voted to his first Pro Bowl in 2007, setting a franchise record with 1,289 yards and 16 touchdowns, then led the league in dropped passes in 2008.

He's sure to love the attention and the nightlife in New York, although his wardrobe might need some alterations. His new teammates ragged on him for the ''high water'' pants he was wearing with a gray suit when he arrived in the locker room.

Chances are he'll get them lengthened immediately. Last Friday when Quinn gave tight end Robert Royal the jacket off his back, Edwards checked the label and told Royal, ''You need some Louis Vuitton tennis shoes to go with that.''

Seems likes he gets along with his teammates, and the shoe thing may have just been a goodbye to Braylon.

You can take that notion and shove it up your ass. Other than playground legend I don't know of too many posters who are openly lobbying for Quinn to return the starting role. I think we've all moved on from this point and hoping against hope that somehow DA returns to 07 form and makes us somewhat respectable...

Awwww your so cute when you get all fired up for no reason. That was a joke there big guy.

Guest Masters

We're discussing a decision made by a player who, by all appearance, is very adept at managing his persona. Knowing this, what purpose would it serve for Quinn to make a "statement" by wearing an ex-player's shoes? It sure not a positive.

Do I think this is some mushroom cloud of an issue? No. However, it does create a kernel of concern as to Quinn's motivation and related mental state as a Cleveland Brown.

So I was just listening to Reghi (he was at practice yesterday) and he was saying Quinn did it as nod to his departed friend and teammate. Is that really negative or positive? I still see nothing detrimental to a team or not being a team guy by giving a nod to a departing friend/coworker/teammate. As I said earlier its much ado about nothing right now.

Reghi also noted that yesterday while at Cribbs locker, he could tell Cribbs was disappointed and unhappy about the trade of Edwards. Should we get out our torches for him too? Is he now not a team guy too?

Unless any of these guys are actually causing a disruption, it's a whole lot about nothing.

Some of you need to get back to work. LOL

He and BE were friends. Quinn made a statement of support. If Mangini takes it as a fook you to him, or Quinn meant it that way, it's High Schoolish. If you guys think that is what's going on here you're crazy.

BE was liked by a lot of people. DQJ said this doesn't make the team stronger. Want to say DQJ is writing his ticket out oftown? Everyone liked BE. Relax people. We need to beat Buffalo so this bs about a pair of fooking shoes can die a horrible death.

Losing is making some people act like little girls with this petty soap opera gossip.

Guest Masters
Some of you need to get back to work. LOL

He and BE were friends. Quinn made a statement of support. If Mangini takes it as a fook you to him, or Quinn meant it that way, it's High Schoolish. If you guys think that is what's going on here you're crazy.

BE was liked by a lot of people. DQJ said this doesn't make the team stronger. Want to say DQJ is writing his ticket out oftown? Everyone liked BE. Relax people. We need to beat Buffalo so this bs about a pair of fooking shoes can die a horrible death.

Losing is making some people act like little girls with this petty soap opera gossip.

Exactly.

Maybe I was asleep for a decade or so, but since when does everything a player does have to be about making a statement? IMO people (here and possibly in the media) are blowing this up to be more than what it really is.

I wonder if DA wore his I LUV Shaun Smith T-shirt during Brian Cox's morning warm-ups the day he was released? You know, just to show support for his ex teammate.

Of course it's a statement. Why else would he do it? Dude's probably got 23 pairs of cleats specially made for him. You think he needs hand-me-downs?

Guest Masters
A statement in support of what again?

Let's see, BE is going to a 3-1 team with a good defense and a rookie QB being given a long leash. WOW, Sorry to hear about your luck BE.

Or is it a statement about it's too bad a good friend had to be traded? Again. WOW that statement of support really needed to be made.

When you support someone, you gennerally are supporting them AGAINST something.

As for Cribbs, Masters, No I don't expect players to all be happy about this trade. They have friends, they have opinions about what direction this team should be going. BUt notice how he said "He could tell", not that Cribbs said or did anything specific?

I don't know, support in "hey I will miss you personally".

I don't see how it is wow, if it is a nod to a good friend being traded. This stuff goes on in every sport almost anytime a player is traded.

Was it needed? No. But are they ever needed when any athlete in any sport does that?

As Vegas said, if anyone on that team or Mangini gives this even a thought, it's High Schoolish. I'd also say if anyone in Berea is giving a thought about it, the Browns are in big, big, big trouble.

I am guessing Cribbs answered the questions in the correct manor to not give a sound bite. Reghi was now just saying a lot of players were saying yesterday they didn't think this move helped the team (which leads me back to my original point of finding it silly people focus on Quinn/the shoes instead of the rest of that article).

I'll also say, if there is any truth to that part of the article, and if Mangini really gets worked up about a pair of shoes, this team is doomed to fail.

A statement in support of what again?

Let's see, BE is going to a 3-1 team with a good defense and a rookie QB being given a long leash. WOW, Sorry to hear about your luck BE.

Or is it a statement about it's too bad a good friend had to be traded? Again. WOW that statement of support really needed to be made.

When you support someone, you gennerally are supporting them AGAINST something.

As for Cribbs, Masters, No I don't expect players to all be happy about this trade. They have friends, they have opinions about what direction this team should be going. BUt notice how he said "He could tell", not that Cribbs said or did anything specific?

Again, why does it have to be viewed as Quinn making a statement at all, instead of as a minor tribute to a friend? Its people here that are making it into a statement. Not EVERYTHING a player does is ALWAYS about making a STATEMENT.

Archived