THE BROWNS BOARD

Obama Win Nobel Peace Prize

I know some people on the board are staunch Obama backers. If ANYONE can make an intelligent argument and step up on this I will stand up in my office and clap for my co-workers to see. I swear

My perhaps slightly cynical interpretation is that the committee is trying to nudge Obama into adopting a more active peacemaking role, as well as provide him political cover to make difficult diplomatic moves vis a vis Iran.

But I agree: Obama hasn't done enough to deserve the prize. Mickey Kaus's suggestion that he turn down the award makes a lot of sense to me.

Also, I bet Matt Cooper's right about this:

Bill Clinton is So Pissed. After everything Clinton did to promote peace in Ireland, the Balkans and especially the Middle East. After his global initiative to save lives, can he not be kicking himself this morning? Obama wins less than a year into his presidency with no major peace agreement under his belt but just gauzy applause for contributing to global good will. Nick Kristof thought it an odd choice. I bet Clinton, um, feels the same way. And since they're unlikely to give it to another American anytime soon, let alone another American president, the odds of Clinton ever getting the Nobel just got a lot dimmer. Forget about Hillary.

yeah i saw this and said "what the funk." isn't this the guy who wants to send 40,000 more troops into afghanistan. the worst part of this whole thing is that he was nominated for the prize before he even did anything positive. also, he is pro-choice. how is that peaceful?

I know some people on the board are staunch Obama backers. If ANYONE can make an intelligent argument and step up on this I will stand up in my office and clap for my co-workers to see. I swear

Seems to me like the committee is trying to use him as a tool to push for world peace... or something...

The nobel prize committee is using him, for exactly what maybe we'll find out.

Apparently, the voting started eleven days after Obama became president, in January...and he was nominated

in November after winning the presidency.

good grief, what a sad farce that award is.

Though, ya have to admit, Jimmy Carter did a lot to not deserve and he got it.

At least Obama hasn't done a lot to NOT deserve it...

farce.

Archived