THE BROWNS BOARD

Ndamukong Suh

BernietheKid

Did anybody see Mizzou vs. Nebraska last night? This guy was all over the place, I would really like to here Alo's thought's on this guy. Here is a scouting report on him.

Ndamukong Suh, 6-4/305

Defensive Tackle Nebraska

Ndamukong Suh Scouting Report

By Matt McGuire

Strengths:

Very big frame

Outstanding muscle definition

Good lower body strength

Elite junior year production

Very active; above average motor

Nice second effort

Good agility

Takes on multiple blockers; run clogger

Highly athletic

Grades out well in chase (pursuit) tackling

Disengages from linemen to make tackles

Powerful

Collapses pocket

Backfield penetrator

Good instincts

Explosive off snap

Great leadership and reportedly solid work ethic

Solid all-around skill set

Good amount of upside

Versatile; can play 1-, 3-, and 5-techniques.

Weaknesses:

Occasionally gets too high in stance; leads to being washed

Leverage technique could be more consistent

Could develop more of a pass-rush repertoire

Multiple knee injuries and surgeries

One-year wonder?

Summary: Suh is an outstanding prospect for the 2010 NFL Draft class because there is so much to like about him. He can play in multiple schemes, which NFL general managers love. His durability could end up being a huge problem dependent on doctors' reviews at NFL Combine like Glenn Dorsey. If he can stay healthy and keep the production up as a senior, he should be a first-round lock. Name pronounced IN-DOM-AH-KEN SOO. "Ndamukong" means "House of Spears" in a Cameroon language.

Player Comparison: Richard Seymour. Seymour and Suh have that great length, explosiveness, and strength that you want in a defensive tackle with the ability to play various schemes.

suh's a sure-fire top five pick. he can play DE in a 3-4 or DT in a 4-3. he's ideally suited for a 3-4 team, imo, because he can play DE on run downs, reduce inside to DT when the team lines up with a four-man front, and has the short-area speed and awareness to drop into zone coverage if he's drafted by a zone-blitz team. he can do anything you'd need a d-lineman to.

here's a longer scouting report on him.

most mocks have him going in the 3-5 range to tampa or detroit, for what it's worth. those same mocks have us taking bradford, jimmy "i look like a douchebag ostrich" clausen, or eric berry, the guy we should be taking.

Ndamukong's undoubtedly the top senior in this year's class. And though some like Oklahoma's Gerald McCoy better, I think Suh's the #1 3-4 DE prospect.

If we don't go QB in Round 1, I'd wager that House of Spears will be our pick. As good as Berry is, I doubt Mangini forgoes the opportunity to bring in his own Richard Seymour, which is a great comparison for Suh (Seymour may be a little more athletic, but Suh plays with more tenacity).

Personally, I'd be happy with Suh, Berry, or McCoy. I'd rate all three higher than Aaron Curry, which shows how talent-rich next year's draft will be.

first round projection or what? can we get him in round 2?

UH, I heard Mel Kiper this morning say that he could actually be the #1 overall pick in next year's draft, so no, it ain't likely he would be around in the second round. I would like to see the Browns get a shot at him with their first round pick.

I watched the game last night, and this guy is the best DL to come along in a long time. In spite of the fact that Missouri double & triple-teamed him most of the night, he had two sacks (1 officially, but the other was overturned by a bogus hands to the face penalty), 1 FF, 1 Int., and just blew up the run all night. When he wasn't getting sacks or ints., he was harassing the QB all night. It was amazing to see how he manhandled 300+ lb. offensive linemen like they were nothing.

He has incredible strength, tenacity, quickness, and a feel for where the play is going, & arrives at the ball in a very bad mood.

This is a player who would be a double threat for the Browns. They need help stopping the run, and a demon pass rusher. This guy would come in & help shut down both the pass & run, and would be the disruptive force they need alongside Shaun Rogers. He would also free up the LBs to be the playmakers they are supposed to be in this scheme.

Boyz boyz boyz....As much as I'd love this guy....We will go QB....regardless of which Defensive player we'd love to get....so get on board and back the Qb we take. this is the seeds of QB controversy....i.e. I wanted this "guy" and they took a Qb... so To be right...the Qb must be wrong. i'd love to know how many of the Tim Couch haters"wanted the trade out or Ricky williams or someone else.. fueled the holcomb debate...how many frye haters fueled the anderson debate and how many quinn haters fueled the Anderson debate......I know there is a corelation.

We will Draft a franchise Qb, so get on board. If not you'll just be fuel.

Boyz boyz boyz....As much as I'd love this guy....We will go QB....regardless of which Defensive player we'd love to get....so get on board and back the Qb we take. this is the seeds of QB controversy....i.e. I wanted this "guy" and they took a Qb... so To be right...the Qb must be wrong. i'd love to know how many of the Tim Couch haters"wanted the trade out or Ricky williams or someone else.. fueled the holcomb debate...how many frye haters fueled the anderson debate and how many quinn haters fueled the Anderson debate......I know there is a corelation.

We will Draft a franchise Qb, so get on board. If not you'll just be fuel.

I doubt we draft a QB. JMO

Bet $20 on it?

A top 1-5 pick like Suh or McCoy will satisfy the Browns greatly. A QB would as well. The draft is way to far away to make any determination. Things will change.

Though, I would take McCoy right now because Coleman/(forgot his name from the jets) sorta have the "Suh" role down. McCoy could replace Smith and give the weakside a strong boost of athleticism we badly need. McCoy also plays better in space than Suh.

Sorry guys but No DL in the first round our in any next year.....that is the position on this team we have too much depth at! LB's, safeties, Rb's Rt's Rg's YES YES Yes after the QB!

LOL. We don't. Coleman and Smith are 2 down lineman. Mosley(hey, I remember his name!!) and Williams(vastly overpaid Williams) are 3rd down lineman.

Listen, we need a fulltime starter at least at one of the DE spots. While it may not happen, it is a need and if somebody like McCoy would drop to the 7-8 spots in the draft(I doubt Sah does), you would be nuts to pass on him.

If we dont draft DL in the 1st round, i hope its because we got J. Peppers or Aaron Kampman via free agency. I know they are both 29, but i think they could still be badass for the next 4 years.

A top 1-5 pick like Suh or McCoy will satisfy the Browns greatly. A QB would as well. The draft is way to far away to make any determination. Things will change.

Though, I would take McCoy right now because Coleman/(forgot his name from the jets) sorta have the "Suh" role down. McCoy could replace Smith and give the weakside a strong boost of athleticism we badly need. McCoy also plays better in space than Suh.

Here's a scouting report on McCoy:

Gerald McCoy, 6-4/295 Defensive Tackle Oklahoma

Gerald McCoy Scouting Report

By Matt McGuire

Strengths:

Impressive size

Cut athlete with good muscle definition

Elite-level athleticism

Explosive off snap

Impressive instincts

Shows ability to disengage quickly

Great lateral agility

Grades out highly with chase tackles

Good vision; finds ballcarrier

Strong; active hands

Penetrates well; knows how to get under a lineman

Displays good pad level

Nice speed; plays fast

Wide pass rush repertoire

Shows good balance and coordination; flexible athlete

Quick hips

Adequate upper body strength

Very good motor and stamina

Durable

Great intangibles and work ethic

Prototype three-technique

Weaknesses:

Lacks some bulk to be a two-gap defensive tackle

Not a fit for every scheme

Not an elite run defender

Struggles against massive offensive linemen against run

Not overly powerful

Summary: McCoy is an amazing prospect and simply great at what he is - a three technique. He isn't going to be Vince Wilfork, and 3-4 teams won't target him. He will fit most 4-3 schemes looking for an elite pass rusher and someone who can disrupt opponents' backfields. He has elite intangibles and should be a definite top-10 pick. McCoy is my No. 1 defensive tackle for the 2010 NFL Draft.

Player Comparison: Kevin Williams. Williams is one of the elite defensive tackles in the NFL with his athleticism, instincts and pass-rush ability.

I'd go with Suh if he's available. He's special, been that way since forever, not a flash in the pan surrounded by a good team or system (which can happen with QBs). He will be a stud in the NFL. If he could have qualified for the NFL draft out of highschool, he'd have gone somewhere.

I know a lot of you guys are wishing for the "franchise" QB, but a disruptive/dominant lineman can have a big effect on a game even if there aren't stats to show it. If Suh or another of his caliber are available...go for it. A strong D and O line can go a long long way towards success, once you've got that you can do pretty good with any decent QB, then focus on finding THE guy.

• 2 weeks later...
He's from Portland Oregon. I always wondered why he went clear the hell out to Nebraska.

Here's something of an explanation:

By the end of his junior year, Suh was getting scholarship offers from several Division I schools, including Oregon and Oregon State. After attending the Stanford Combine the summer before his senior year, he had offers from the entire Pacific-10 Conference, as well as Miami, Mississippi State and Nebraska.

[...]

One of the primary reasons he chose Nebraska was because of its highly regarded engineering program and the focus the athletic department has on academics for its student-athletes. In December, Suh will graduate with a bachelor's degree in construction management, completing the five-year program in four and a half.

Should football not work out, Suh could easily fall back on a number of career options, including taking over his father's equipment business in Portland.

via here.

Who are some of the top corners coming out next year? We really need a big corner opposite wright that can lay a lick on somebody and help out in the rungame. Any ideas on a big physical corner in the 2nd or 3rd round?

Eric Berry, Tennessee and Taylor Mays of USC are top DBs, but they may be safeties.

Who are some of the top corners coming out next year? We really need a big corner opposite wright that can lay a lick on somebody and help out in the rungame. Any ideas on a big physical corner in the 2nd or 3rd round?

Some possibilities:

• Joe Haden, Florida (5'11", 190 lbs.)*

• Brandon Ghee, Wake Forest (6'0", 190 lbs.)

• Perrish Cox, Oklahoma State (6'0", 198 lbs.)

• Kareem Jackson, Alabama (5'11", 192 lbs.)*

• Donovan Warren, Michigan (6'0", 185 lbs.)*

• Jerome Murphy, South Florida (6'1", 185 lbs.)

• Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, Indiana (PA) (6'1", 195 lbs.)

• Patrick Robinson, Florida State (5'11", 194 lbs.)
Those are loose rankings, based on play this season. But cornerback is the position where 40 times matter most, so it's hard to project where these guys will be drafted in April.

Also, there are smaller corners who will get drafted high: guys like Kentucky's Trevard Lindley (5'11", 180 lbs.) and Cal's Syd'Quan Thompson (5'9", 191 lbs.). Not sure either one's a good fit for what we need: though Lindley does have borderline shutdown corner potential, he isn't a consistent tackler.

* denotes underclassman

Good stuff in this thread guys..it sucks that we are so into the draft in sept/october and soo much will change in the next month or two...but one thing will not sway me...and i know we need a QB but Suh is the one..we gotta make that happen

i do not feel as strong about Mccoy DE (Oklahoma) not mccoy QB (texas)...

ALO..you think they draft QB in round 2? if so who do you project still hanging around

Pike and McCoy could be the top two guys available in Round 2. Not particularly fond of either, though I like Pike better.

By the way, can I get my normal privileges back? Pretty sure I lost PM's from Heck and Riff because someone decided to restrict my account.

Didn't you watch that video? Suh leads Nebraska in passes broken up. Put him at corner, theres your big hitter.

Archived