THE BROWNS BOARD

Why I will no longer be a Browns or a Cleveland sports fan

gcarl

Let me start by saying that I don't live in Ohio (never have) and the reason for being a Cleveland sports fan is because of my father who was born and raised in Fairview Park. I started following the Browns and Indians when I was 10 (1984) and grew up mostly in Virginia, near Washington, DC. I now live in Florida, and have been here for the last 18 years. Rarely have I ever get poked fun at for being a Cleveland fan, and the THREE times it happened in 25 years, it was just half-way serious but not really. I never spent much time in the Cleveland area except for a week or two during the summer (when I was in school), and last visited in April 2008.

Anyways, I guess because of being naive, and not living in NE Ohio, I never got a good idea of the reputation the Cleveland area has nation wide. Sure, I heard some of the jokes on late-night TV, etc. However, those came from people in other places, NY, LA, wherever.

That is until Michael Moore's new movie "Capitalism: A Love Story" included what I would call a self-degrading, dispicable, insulting Cleveland tourism video spoof. The worst part was that these videos (there's two of them) were made by a native Clevelander as a "joke".

Well, I have to say, that is real shame. I never realized the lack of civic pride Clevelanders have for their hometown. Do all of you agree with what these videos are poking fun at? Do you consider these hilarious? If so, no wonder the rest of the country considers Cleveland a punch-line and worthy of abuse.

If you don't have respect for the community you live in, how do you expect others to respect it?

As a result, I am no longer a fan of Cleveland or their sports teams. It's over for me. The bottom line is, that I am completely embarrassed now to be associated with Cleveland or their teams knowing that everyone who sees this movie will witness an "amusing" video that insults Cleveland which, worst of all, was created by a native Clevelander.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

I'm sure that some of you are already aware of them. All I can say is I used to be proud to be a Cleveland fan, but no more. Remember the city you are an "ambassador" for when you wear your Browns, Indians, or Cavaliers gear in other parts of the country. I won't ever wear that stuff again. I don't want people to think I'm from Cleveland, and for them to assume that I would sh** on my hometown by making a video like this.

I'd like to hear some feedback on what some others on here think about these videos, and request that this post not be moved, even though I realize it's not really about the Browns.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those videos are old news, yet still hilarious. If you can't laugh at yourself then you probably are going to live a miserable life..

Not a huge michael moore fan, but its pretty cool they put those videos in his documentary. No, I don't care if they are making fun of Cleveland....the city isn't doing too well and we all know it. Hopefully its getting better, who knows

Let me start by saying that I don't live in Ohio (never have) and the reason for being a Cleveland sports fan is because of my father who was born and raised in Fairview Park. I started following the Browns and Indians when I was 10 (1984) and grew up mostly in Virginia, near Washington, DC. I now live in Florida, and have been here for the last 18 years. Rarely have I ever get poked fun at for being a Cleveland fan, and the THREE times it happened in 25 years, it was just half-way serious but not really. I never spent much time in the Cleveland area except for a week or two during the summer (when I was in school), and last visited in April 2008.

Anyways, I guess because of being naive, and not living in NE Ohio, I never got a good idea of the reputation the Cleveland area has nation wide. Sure, I heard some of the jokes on late-night TV, etc. However, those came from people in other places, NY, LA, wherever.

That is until Michael Moore's new movie "Capitalism: A Love Story" included what I would call a self-degrading, dispicable, insulting Cleveland tourism video spoof. The worst part was that these videos (there's two of them) were made by a native Clevelander as a "joke".

Well, I have to say, that is real shame. I never realized the lack of civic pride Clevelanders have for their hometown. Do all of you agree with what these videos are poking fun at? Do you consider these hilarious? If so, no wonder the rest of the country considers Cleveland a punch-line and worthy of abuse.

If you don't have respect for the community you live in, how do you expect others to respect it?

As a result, I am no longer a fan of Cleveland or their sports teams. It's over for me. The bottom line is, that I am completely embarrassed now to be associated with Cleveland or their teams knowing that everyone who sees this movie will witness an "amusing" video that insults Cleveland which, worst of all, was created by a native Clevelander.

I'm sure that some of you are already aware of them. All I can say is I used to be proud to be a Cleveland fan, but no more. Remember the city you are an "ambassador" for when you wear your Browns, Indians, or Cavaliers gear in other parts of the country. I won't ever wear that stuff again. I don't want people to think I'm from Cleveland, and for them to assume that I would sh** on my hometown by making a video like this.

I'd like to hear some feedback on what some others on here think about these videos, and request that this post not be moved, even though I realize it's not really about the Browns.

You are a big effing homo.

Zombo

Trust me when I say this - and I mean this very sincerely: Cleveland doesn't need fans like you. Doesn't want fans like you. And never put up with fans like you.

Most of us here have been through a lot of ups and downs......and not once have we ever thought of leaving our teams.

We don't want you, we don't need you, so go f*ck yourself you big flaming homo.

Asshats - everyday I swear I meet a new one here.

Guest c-dawg

Pull this guy's access already..obviously doesn't need it anymore...

Join a Dolphins board or take along walk off a short pier down there in Tebow Town...

Trust me when I say this - and I mean this very sincerely: Cleveland doesn't need fans like you. Doesn't want fans like you. And never put up with fans like you.

Most of us here have been through a lot of ups and downs......and not once have we ever thought of leaving our teams.

We don't want you, we don't need you, so go f*ck yourself you big flaming homo.

Asshats - everyday I swear I meet a new one here.

Its a good day if theirs only one bro.

Did you lose your sense of humor in a South Beach gay bar?

Only the biggest tool ever could write that. Punch yourself immediately.

You are either a fan of a team, or you are not. Just declaring that you are "no longer a fan" of a particular team doesn't change what is truly in your heart. You might get frustrated about things that are happening, but the bottom line is: when that team that you claim you "no longer root for" takes the field on Sunday, and you are watching it, WILL in fact your heart race? Will you really not care about the outcome of the game? I doubt it.

Something like a spoof video sure as hell isn't going to change what is in your heart. IF in fact you really are no longer a fan of a team, then you never truly were one to begin with and your loyalties were always for sale to the highest bidder.

Also, I'd like to add that every post after the first is part of the reason I'm proud to be a Cleveland fan. I'm proud of bottle gate. We know that call was bullshit. We have had to put up with the Drive, the Fumble, Red Right 88, the Shot, the Sweep, the travesty that has been the Cleveland Browns for the past 10 years, and I will continue to do so. As, I hope, would every other person that calls themselves a Cleveland fan. You aren't a fan of Cleveland anymore? Good. Leave. GTFO. We know Lebron's leaving after this year, and that the Cavs AREN'T gonna win, but xxxxing hell. I am still rooting for them after he's gone.

One day, we will win a championship. Our thirst for it will make it all the sweeter.

I don't regret starting this thread whatsoever (seriously). Based on the feedback so far, I've made the right decision to drop Cleveland. All of you are missing the point, but that's your problem.

Laughter throughout the theatre here in Tampa as that segment played. Honestly, I was pissed and insulted at the time. My 2 friends looking over at me with a "f**k!-that-must-have-been-embarrasing-for-you-since-youre-a-cleveland-fan" look. Yep, that's the last straw for me. No more. Why the f**k should I care anymore. One of your own added to Cleveland's bad image with those videos. Yeah, maybe the videos by themselves aren't a big deal. But it did open my eyes to the mentality Clevelanders have toward themselves and their so-called "beloved city." Seems like you people don't mind looking like douchebags, since you're adding fuel to your own fire. You can have Cleveland, the teams, the whole deal. Clevelanders DESERVE the negative image they have. Doesn't seem like anyone is trying to change it.. would rather make it worse, like Mike Polk did. Blame him.

Guest Masters

Are you in Cleveland or spent significant time in the city? If not, than STFU about what the mentality of a Clevelanders is. Because you don't know.

We don't care if you are not a fan anymore, because you are fair weather anyway. Let me guess you like what other people tell you to like. Your a dirt bag. Trust me when I say, You wont be sadly missed.

I don't regret starting this thread whatsoever (seriously). Based on the feedback so far, I've made the right decision to drop Cleveland. All of you are missing the point, but that's your problem.

Laughter throughout the theatre here in Tampa as that segment played. Honestly, I was pissed and insulted at the time. My 2 friends looking over at me with a "f**k!-that-must-have-been-embarrasing-for-you-since-youre-a-cleveland-fan" look. Yep, that's the last straw for me. No more. Why the f**k should I care anymore. One of your own added to Cleveland's bad image with those videos. Yeah, maybe the videos by themselves aren't a big deal. But it did open my eyes to the mentality Clevelanders have toward themselves and their so-called "beloved city." Seems like you people don't mind looking like douchebags, since you're adding fuel to your own fire. You can have Cleveland, the teams, the whole deal. Clevelanders DESERVE the negative image they have. Doesn't seem like anyone is trying to change it.. would rather make it worse, like Mike Polk did. Blame him.

So what I gather is you wasted good money on a stupid Michael Moore movie which was assinine to begin with then you admit you went to the movies multiple friends too so the crowd you hang with is assinine as well.

Who goes to movies with a crowd of friends anymore? What are you like 13?

Then you top it all off by saying you are easily swayed from your roots and your own opinions by your friends reactions so that makes you a spineless follower of whatever your in crowd says is cool so C-Ya! Cleveland and the Browns, Indians, Cavaliers and Buckeyes' fans doesn't need ya.

Who goes to movies with a crowd of friends anymore? What are you like 13?

I went with 2 friends... but everyone else who was there evidently agreed that Cleveland is a big joke.

I hate Michael Moore... wanted to see the film to find out what he had to say this time. At first, I thought he or one of his people videoed the Cleveland segment. But to find out it was a Clevelander who filmed it? Well, that's worse. Worse enough for me to move on.

I went with 2 friends... but everyone else who was there evidently agreed that Cleveland is a big joke.

I hate Michael Moore... wanted to see the film to find out what he had to say this time. At first, I thought he or one of his people videoed the Cleveland segment. But to find out it was a Clevelander who filmed it? Well, that's worse. Worse enough for me to move on.

Then move on and dont come back you fag. You keep on posting like we give a fukc.

Do you think that we are going to try to stop you or something? Thats the only reason you would come on here and cry like a fukcing baby.

Guest Masters

Well there are you first two problems, you went to see a Moore film and you said you hate him yet just gave him your money.

If you hate him so much why did you line his pockets with money? When I don't like someone I tend to NOT give him money! You are a freakin joke, go root for the BUCS since that is such a great city. Nothing worse then a fair weather, I am better then you fan. STFU and leave.

ah...typical american. they always think anyone else cares what they really think.

this threads about your own shortcomings, not clevelands.

and before you get brave, im not natively from cleveland either. and i still dont care what ya think.

Archived