THE BROWNS BOARD

Why I will no longer be a Browns or a Cleveland sports fan

gcarl

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ATENEARS

gcarl, close your eyes, cause this ain't pretty ....

The Tampa Bay Bucaneers appear to be a Third-World country if Cleveland are the slums;

Regular Season Record (all-time) : Bucs: 205-314-1 Browns: 475-380-13

Championships: Bucs: 1, Browns: 8

Passing Leader (all-time): Vinny Testaverde - 14,820 yards, Brian Sipe - 23,713 yards

Rushing Leader (all-time): James Wilder - 5,957 yards, Jim Brown - 12,312 yards

Receiving Leader (all-time): Mark Carrier - 5,018 yards, Ozzie Newsome - 7,980 yards

Winningest Coach (all-time): Jon Gruden - 57 wins, Paul Brown - 158 wins

Twice the franchise ... and that's all that matters.

I stopped reading there.

That's as far as I got too..

I scanned the rest of the posts...saw the predictable "you're a homo" responses which doesn't surprise me. Who the hell would come on here just to go on and on about how they're not going to be a Browns fan or a fan of Cleveland anymore? Who the xxxx cares??

Leave already....but don't worry...when the Browns start winning again, we'll save a seat on the bandwagon for you..

The funniest thing about gcarl's OP is that he doesn't get that both videos are straight-up, world-class satire, i.e., what they depict is TRUE but is purposefully selective and OVER-EXAGGERATED to make a point.

Which is exactly what Michael Moore is the master of: exaggerating a point with selective information to make a strong point.

This whole thread is why his movies are hilarious. Not only are they funny in and of themselves, the reactions by those who completely miss the point is even funnier.

So, gcarl, to translate for you: Cleveland is in fact suffering and those youtube videos are trying to show that suffering in a way that people actually pay attention to, i.e., humor.

It's an age old tactic which has befuddled people like you since the Irish thought Swift really was eating babies.

Never stops being funny though...

Guest Masters
I wasn't going to post again. But, after what this twat posted, I had to. You are a complete FUKCTARD, you got that? Did I say I was in Miami? No. I said TAMPA. Can you fukcing read english? And by the way, I saw the movie with a good female friend of mine who is an avid sports fan and knows I am (or was) a Cleveland fan, and the other was mutual friend of ours (who I met through her), and is a guy.

Man, this decision I've made to ditch Cleveland is getting better by the minute, and posts like this one from tweedle-dumbass helps too.

So you coudln't handle a chick giving you hard time about the team you root for. I see know....

Guest Masters
Beanpot, I have to hand it to you. You're absolutely right. Seriously. I was a military brat. Lived in several different places growing up. Spent 9 years in the DC area (very rare for a military family to stay put that long), until moving to Florida in 1991. Been down here ever since. In DC, they would show Cleveland and other AFC Central teams all the time, since the Ravens didn't exist and Pittsburgh was the closest AFC town. I did adopt the Browns because of my dad being from Cleveland. Maybe that was my mistake. But I didn't have a "hometown" of my own.

Damn, Beanpot. I guess sometimes you need to hear someone else spell it out for you. It seems ridiculous... liking a team because your father likes them? He grew up there, I didn't.

Maybe you should ask your dad about Cleveland instead of listening to Michael Moore.

OK... I have some explaining to do. I did see the movie with 2 friends who glanced over at me with a "we-know-that-you-can-take-that-as-a-joke-right?" kind of look. It didn't bother me at all, and honestly I thought it was cool that Cleveland was being mentioned and given "the time of day" by the movie. If someone tried to use Indianapolis or Charlotte or Cincinnati instead, would the rest of the country get it? It's part of Cleveland's personality to be in that role. The show 30 Rock had an episode back in 2007 where a co-worker takes the Tina Fey character to Cleveland to show her around his hometown, and it was a tongue in cheek segment that poked fun at Cleveland, rather gently, and she actually ends up wanting to move to Cleveland with him because everyone seems so nice to her.

I started to think about what if someone really did take offense to the vids after seeing the movie to the point of ditching Cleveland. I was using this board as a litmus test, to see how people would react with everyone being anonymous. Cleveland fans don't take any shyte. Just like I figured. I wanted to see if anyone on here was truly upset about the vids, and if anyone has ever thought about changing their support to a local team because they are not in Ohio anymore.

It's crossed my mind to switch to a local team, being in Florida. With the Bucs winning the Super Bowl (which was a huge event down here) it seemed like a possible option. But are you kidding? I have way too many memories and too much invested with Cleveland sports to switch. I'd feel like I was betraying my family.

It's like the mafia... "just when you think you're out, they pull you back in".

I'm sorry to the ones who hate that I used the board for this. I needed to hear honest, brutal reactions.

OK... I have some explaining to do. I did see the movie with 2 friends who glanced over at me with a "we-know-that-you-can-take-that-as-a-joke-right?" kind of look. It didn't bother me at all, and honestly I thought it was cool that Cleveland was being mentioned and given "the time of day" by the movie. If someone tried to use Indianapolis or Charlotte or Cincinnati instead, would the rest of the country get it? It's part of Cleveland's personality to be in that role. The show 30 Rock had an episode back in 2007 where a co-worker takes the Tina Fey character to Cleveland to show her around his hometown, and it was a tongue in cheek segment that poked fun at Cleveland, rather gently, and she actually ends up wanting to move to Cleveland with him because everyone seems so nice to her.

I started to think about what if someone really did take offense to the vids after seeing the movie to the point of ditching Cleveland. I was using this board as a litmus test, to see how people would react with everyone being anonymous. Cleveland fans don't take any shyte. Just like I figured. I wanted to see if anyone on here was truly upset about the vids, and if anyone has ever thought about changing their support to a local team because they are not in Ohio anymore.

It's crossed my mind to switch to a local team, being in Florida. With the Bucs winning the Super Bowl (which was a huge event down here) it seemed like a possible option. But are you kidding? I have way too many memories and too much invested with Cleveland sports to switch. I'd feel like I was betraying my family.

I'm sorry to the ones who hate that I used the board for this. I needed to hear honest, brutal reactions.

All I have to say is wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inspecta give me the rope and I will hang this moron myself.

Good on ya being honest bro. What I would do is adopt Tampa area sports as my second team's loyalties. You live there and can follow them closely and intently. I've lived in other cities such as Gainesville and when I was there became a pretty hardcore fan of the Gators, but whenever one of those crackers tried to forget I wasn't a Buckeye first and foremost, they heard about with a foot up they ass. I actually used to pull for Tampa as a kid just cuz I had relatives there.

There will never, ever be another team for me besides Ctown and Buckeye sports. Hell, I am a diehard Buck BB fan and those are hard to come by unless they are in the Final Four. It's a love affair and passion that will never leave us who grew up getting our hearts broke and getting tougher by every devastating loss. Most on this board are not old enough to remember the vintage glory days, but suffice to say we knew what Browns football was all about.

I grew up in the Ashtabula area (born in 68) and even though we are 60 miles out I always took a lot of pride in Cleveland even from being a little kid. I used to get pissed as hell when we were the butt of jokes etc. and so were many, many others. If anything civic pride increased and people came together more as gayish as that sounds, and that is the way we truly were and still are. The real fans will never leave this team, they are embedded in our souls. That's why we hate bandwagon pussies so much because they flat out don't get it.

The answer to your sociology experiment is simple: Don't fook with us. If you aren't with us you're against us, plain and simple. It ain't easy rooting for this shit, but when you're up at the stadium like last week and look around you understand what it is all about. An 0-3 team coming off a disastrous start and that place was rocking. Hell, Edwards was getting the crowd fired up (right before he dropped the first one of course) and we had a love/hate affair with him. It's not just the stadium either, there are guys on this board who have never lived around here or now live somewhere else, but their passions run the same because they get it.

There is nothing like a true, blue, diehard Browns fan man---or Ctown fan in general. We are cut from another breed. How anybody can question us after getting our team ripped over politics is beyond me. We fooking flat out told the league "you will give us our team back". Throw in Bottlegate, the rich history and tradition and all the other shit that comes with and there should be no question whatsoever what Ctown is all about.

Sometimes when guys on the board piss me off I gotta remind myself that we are all Browns fans first and foremost. That's why you can go anywhere in the country and find us. Ctowners don't change when they move out, if anything their loyalties get deeper cuz they hold onto that pride of what being a native Clevelander. It's real, it's passionate and it ain't just for shits and giggles. Their is a brotherhood there, and a brotherhood I am proud to be a part of. We're going to improve and do this shit, and when we do it will be the sweetest thing to ever happen to a lot of us outside of family and the real stuff that matters.

The fact of the matter is you should use being a Ctown fan as a positive. People should respect you for being loyal to a city going through tough times and a football team that has been a joke since '94. Even in '94 we got no respect nationally. I was living in Gainesville then and it was awesome sharing that year with true bloods in the area. Nobody fooked with us, we took front and central at the sports bars in town, no team came remotely close.

In summation, I think you already knew most of this and perhaps you have some other agenda than what you are saying. Either way, you should have your answer by now. It's easy to like winners. It's easy to feel you are cooler than the average Joe cuz you root for a successful team. Some tools wear that on their sleeve like it makes them cool or something. What we wear on our sleeves is pride that we always will hold true, no matter what.

Well said Riffer...

I am too young to remember the old glory days. Hell I was in diapers during the run in the eighties, but any proud Browns fan knows our historic past. I've never lived in Cleveland I was born in Jacksonville FL, but my dad on the other hand was born and raised in Cleveland and i was raised to be a Cleveland fan whether that be the Browns, Indians, or the Cavaliers. Being from a city thats still fairly new to the NFL (about 15 years or so) you still have a melting pot of fans here. Snow birds who move south after they retire (northern teams) or even fans of the jags, dolphins, and bucs. Every day at work I hear stuff like "it must suck to be a browns fan," or "I cant believe you actually admit being a cleveland fan," I just dust off my shoulder take it with a grain of salt and continue about my business. My support for this team will never dwindle; I bleed brown and orange.

Carl just remember that your not the only one who get ridiculed for being a browns fan. As bad as we've been over the last decade, and the torturous ways that the browns have managed to loose in the past; it kind of comes with the territory. But there are fans of this team all over the country. I was at the browns/jags game last year in j'ville and prob half the stadium was filled with browns fans. I took my dad as an early Christmas present. Prob the most fun I've ever had!

We will get back to greatness, it just takes a few small steps in the right direction at first to get the ball rolling

To BrownieBornNRaised and Riffer X:

Thanks for your posts. I needed to hear that. I want to say again that it was a huge error in judgement on my part to start this thread. I'm truly sorry. To assume that just because you're on a message board, they're aren't other people elsewhere reading this that have real emotions and feelings that wouldn't get stirred up. I regret all of this.

Holy backpedaling batman! Sounds like someone didn't understand satire and needed the board to explain it to him.

Satire is often strictly defined as a literary genre or form; although in practice it is also found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, human or individual vices, follies, abuses, or shortcomings are held up to censure by means of ridicule, derision, burlesque, irony, or other methods, ideally with the intent to bring about improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, the purpose of satire is not primarily humour in itself so much as an attack on something of which the author strongly disapproves, using the weapon of wit.

...Humor is hard.

Holy backpedaling batman! Sounds like someone didn't understand satire and needed the board to explain it to him.

Satire is often strictly defined as a literary genre or form; although in practice it is also found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, human or individual vices, follies, abuses, or shortcomings are held up to censure by means of ridicule, derision, burlesque, irony, or other methods, ideally with the intent to bring about improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, the purpose of satire is not primarily humour in itself so much as an attack on something of which the author strongly disapproves, using the weapon of wit.

...Humor is hard.

I've never been to Cleveland but I heard they are mostly Democrats with poor educations and high unemployment. A friend of mine told me they drive Pontiacs and wear clothing from Wal-Mart and drink a lot.

walmartbenny.jpg

A fat lady with a Steeler shirt is your response?

I can sum up Cleveland in these precise words. Potholes, Pontiacs, and Piss Poor Football.

14 years later the Browns fans blame Modell for never achieving in the Super Bowl era which started in 1963.

He left and did it and a Hall of Fame Seat is reserved for Art.

I've never been to Cleveland but I heard they are mostly Democrats with poor educations and high unemployment. A friend of mine told me they drive Pontiacs and wear clothing from Wal-Mart and drink a lot.

Hey everybody, this douchebag's friend told him it was so, so it must be true.

BTW: The woman in the pink shorts is a man, good job Baltiwhore Asshat.

Michael Moore= Communist

He blows, his stuff blows.

Clevelanders have civic pride, get on board or get out.

Communism was a hoax man(as was anti-communism, which was funded by the same side). Without the Rothschilds and the Morgan's financing that crap, it never would have existed. They also helped the Nazi's too, but that was basically for war such as was the building of "Red Russia".

You have basically been ahouled by the Bourgeois while the upper castes have been thrown to the wind. So gutted America has become.

14 years later the Browns fans blame Modell for never achieving in the Super Bowl era which started in 1963.

He left and did it and a Hall of Fame Seat is reserved for Art.

So, what you are saying is that it took Modell 34 years to figure out how to get to the Super Bowl and he should get into the HOF for it? I somehow don't believe that anyone is really going to find that all that impressive... probably why he hasn't gotten in yet, huh Einstein :rolleyes:

By the way, just to clarify, since you are obviously not getting it ... the Browns fans blame Modell for taking away their team and along with it, the GM that is responsible for drafting/acquiring the people that got the Ravens a SB win. What I don't understand is why someone from Baltimore doesn't grasp the the concept of losing a team to another city (hello ... Indy??). Are you too young to remember them sneaking out in the middle of the night or are you not actually a fan but really a relative of Modell?

I live out of state as well and wish it were that easy for me to drop the browns if i could i would but even thinking about it leaves an empty feeling i cant replace with any team....i wish you luck i have given up..for me its once a browns fan always a browns fan and when the browns rise over the next couple of years and rightfully take the afcn title again and make the playoffs with consistancy i wont have to jump back on the bandwagon because ive been on the hellwagon all along...;)

Communism was a hoax man(as was anti-communism, which was funded by the same side). Without the Rothschilds and the Morgan's financing that crap, it never would have existed. They also helped the Nazi's too, but that was basically for war such as was the building of "Red Russia".

You have basically been ahouled by the Bourgeois while the upper castes have been thrown to the wind. So gutted America has become.

How the hell did we get to the Trilateral commission from not being a Browns fan. Oh, I get it, it's a conspiracy thats why we can't win, thanks.

Test or backpeddling, I don't care. Just go already! I'm a B.G.S.U. Falcons fan and have been since a boy, they suck! I would never let someone else's opinon of my city or sports team affect me. (Unless she was hot and undressing, I can swallow my pride for a couple of hours/days) I don't need to drive the 2.5 hours to Cleveland to see what they think of their city. I am a skinny white guy, and have been stranded alone with another skinny white guy at 1 am in a really shitty looking part of Cleveland. My friend was so drunk he didn't know where we were or what city we were in. NOTHING happened to us, we walked what seemed like 2 miles back to our hotel and ran into no trouble what so ever. I have been all over Cleveland and the surrounding areas since I was a kid and I honestly have only had one bad experience. That was my first Indians game and my brother was drunk off his ass and pissed off a few bums. (They looked like they wanted to shank him.) That's it! Love the city Love the sports! If you can't deal with it, the door's right here!

Scooby Doo ghost town was the best. Great job!

"We are so Retarded we think this is art." Yes I know people who have lived in Cleveland and moved out. The Retarded ones stay rooting for a 5 win season.

I hear no work gets done on Monday because so many people are drunk and hungover after a Sunday of football.

Archived