THE BROWNS BOARD

I Thought He Missed It, Too

shepwrite

Guest ATENEARS

It's that a new rule that you can challenge field goals (Dawson rule?)

Wonder why if it was even close, why we wouldn't have challenged it.

I thought it was no good, but was at the opposite end of the stadium. The video I just watched made it look like it wasn't really even that close.

This reminds me of the Karliss kick in "The Drive" game, which I would swear from the video was no good. And from the video here I would swear this kick was no good.

Are these video angles this deceiving?

Was there another video angle of this kick perhaps from the far end of the field? I know they have umpteen cameras taking these shots, why couldn't we see another angle like we get for any other on field play? Does the league suppress these shots once the refs make a call?

Perhaps they should lengthen the goal posts. The Karliss kick, this kick and many others could benefit from taller goal posts.

This reminds me of the Karliss kick in "The Drive" game, which I would swear from the video was no good. And from the video here I would swear this kick was no good.

Are these video angles this deceiving?

Was there another video angle of this kick perhaps from the far end of the field? I know they have umpteen cameras taking these shots, why couldn't we see another angle like we get for any other on field play? Does the league suppress these shots once the refs make a call?

Perhaps they should lengthen the goal posts. The Karliss kick, this kick and many others could benefit from taller goal posts.

I was thinking the same thing.

I thought it was no good, but was at the opposite end of the stadium. The video I just watched made it look like it wasn't really even that close.

I believe it is only challengeable if the ball strikes the goal posts and bounces around. Here it was apparently a pure judgment call on whether the ball "would have been" inside the goal posts IF the posts had extended higher.

Again, my point is: why not just extend the height of the posts? I mean, won't they be straight if you make them taller? Will they bend or snap under their weight?

What is preventing the extension of the posts?

They could solve this VERY easilly....

All they need to do is put a half inch wide reflective strip from top of the inside goalpost, down across the cross bar and up the other side.

Put a chip in the ball, if the chip doesn't break the plain of the reflective strip, or laser system or what have you, its no good.

You wouldn't even need ref's to have a say in it.

After a bunch of pause/plays on that NFL highlight link above, it sure looks to me like it went just outside the top, not over the top, of the goalpost. Might have even barely clipped it.

Oh well, game's over.

Guest Masters

You can challange a FG (Dawson rule if you will that went into effect last year).

In OT all reviews must come from the booth. It's the same rules as inside 2 minutes in the 4th QTR (i.e. no coaches challanges in OT). On top of that, if this was the 4th QTR inside 2 minutes (instead of inside 2 mintues in OT), it couldn't be challanged by the coach.

Probably a dumb question, but could the league review this and proclaim a tie? Or is it a "what's done is done" thing?

I too thought he missed it when I was watching live and was surprised when the refs raised their hands.

I think it's been to long to try to make the NFL over turn the call.

Wow. The article suggests it might be the camera angle. Ugh, if you know anything about geometry, you can tell by the angles between the posts and the hash marks down the middle of the filed that the camera is dead in the middle of the two posts - so you're seeing the real thing and the FG kick is unquestionably wide.

I'm surprised that the fans in the end zone didn't revolt!

By the way, I always wondered why the NFL put two refs under the posts to determine if the FG is good. Have you ever been in that position watching someone kick FG's? It's one of the worst angles possible to make a call.

I agree that if they can use technology in tennis to ensure the ball is in, they can figure something out for the NFL, and one day, they will.

Guest ATENEARS
Who is going to watch while me and Russ carry the 100 lb grille?

Well, certainly not my dad ... he's obviously blind as a bat and would view you two as two hot chicks carrying a keg of beer.

Who is going to watch while me and Russ carry the 100 lb grille?

Have fun. Leave the Hag behind.

Even 2 years later, Skippy still hasn't figured out how to help carry the grill?

It's probably for the best though...his drunk ass would drop the thing.

Archived