THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland, we have a problem.

.mz

I've recently been kicking around (in my head), the notion of Derek Anderson playing well this season, thus negating the need to draft ANOTHER QB with a top 5 pick and securing me one of my prized defenders.. And it sounds fine and dandy, right? Nope, it doesn't. It causes an huge problem because it can't happen.

I want to select a defender (Berry, Suh, Mays, McCoy whatever) at the top of next year's draft, instead of one of these shiteating QB's (Bradford, Claussen, C McCoy etc.). I'm guessing the only way we avoid talking a QB high is if DA plays well enough to show Mangini he can be the future of this franchise (I know...). That way, we'll have our QB and be free to take one of these stud defenders. Great! Well, kinda.

If DA plays well, we'll probably win some games, thus taking us out of contention for Suh, Berry, McCoy, etc, and if he doesn't play well, we'll probably lose a shit-ton of games and pick up where I wanna pick, but we'll be tempted to take the stupid QB instead because we won't have one.

FCUK!!! We just can't catch a break.

Damned if you do, DA, and damned if you don't.

I bet we trade out of the top 5 , just like we did last year. a team is really going to want a QB after Mcshay and Co. build them all up. Mangini seems to like gathering draft picks. We know for sure that we wont be drafting a WR in the second rd, or will we. I know we will have a bit of cash to spend since we have gotten rid of BE and K2, so Free Agency will be a place we take a look. We will spend big on at least one player, and i hope its our own D. Jackson.

Agreed, we NEED defense.

I wanted defense last draft, didn't happen. The QB situation has been beat to death on this board, but I think all of us agree that our "D" needs to get meaner, faster, & knock the opposition on it's ass.

Drafting a QB will not make an immediate impact.

Let's see what happens this week vs. Buffalo...if DA plays well, we should be able to handle the Bills (I hope I don't have to be drug-tested at work for writing that) :huh: Call me crazy, but I think this game is very winnable.

DA could play well.

DA could get injured and Brady Quinn could play well.

Maybe there is an interesting free agent QB next year?

Three months of football, or more, left, not going to worry about it now. But obviously I've got a little more faith in DA then most. If that kid starts to "get it" on a permanent basis ... he has franchise QB potential.

I'm sure saying things like that pisses off most (for some reason) but I think DA has a shot to be "the man".

Zombo

DA could play well.

DA could get injured and Brady Quinn could play well.

Maybe there is an interesting free agent QB next year?

Three months of football, or more, left, not going to worry about it now. But obviously I've got a little more faith in DA then most. If that kid starts to "get it" on a permanent basis ... he has franchise QB potential.

I'm sure saying things like that pisses off most (for some reason) but I think DA has a shot to be "the man".

Zombo

Good stuff Zombo! Let's SEE what takes place from here on out. The GOOD thing I see is there are 3 very promising young WRs (Stuckey, MoMass & Robiskie) that don't seem to be DIVAS. More specifically, they're all excited to be in the NFL and want to get better. That usually translates to approachable and coachable on the practice field, which SHOULD be a refreshing thing for our starting QB to be working with.

Bill Parcells said it best about finding a franchise QB when he was in Dallas: "Just because I'm constantly told we need a franchise QB doesn't mean there's a tree limb with one available just for us at this time. Doesn't work that way folks." He also went onto say he had guys he could win with if everyone on the team took care of their own jobs and all the little things that add up to victory.

I posted the thread about Colt McCoy during the long depressing week before last week's game. I didn't do that because I want our offense going back to baby diapers for the umpteenth time - I sort of did it out of frustration when it looked like we might be heading toward the pick of the litter. I've always been a RB guy since Greg Pruitt turned me on to this team so I'd like that home run threat from anywhere on the field especially in tight ball games.

After seeing DA last Sunday, I was pleasantly surprised at how the entire team elevated their game. When that happens, it usually means the QB is doing a pretty good job. Perhaps even better is the reality that we weren't looking at anything close to the worst team in football on game day for the first time all season. Suddenly our line could block, a RB went over 100 yards, a receiver went over a 100 yards, time of possession in the last 3 quarters was clearly dominated by us, Cribbs gave us ideal field position, defenders were tackling people and Wimbley logged his 3rd sack of the season. This team got plugged in like a set of Christmas lights and it put me in a much better mood.

We're suddenly a YOUNG offense when I see names like: Harrison, Vickers, Robiskie, Stucky, MoMass, Royal, Thomas, Mack, etc. The chemisty and continuity should only get better with every week if we have the right coaching staff and veteran leadership governing this team. It sure would be nice to see these guys get their first W this week.

- Tom F.

True, but he won't.

You did, however, give me another shitty scenario to consider: we get that top pick and trade down again. Ugh.

I am kind of with you there...I wouldn't mind a trade down if it wasn't more that maybe 5-6 slots tops, and I wouldn't sell cheap to give up a guy like Berry.

We would have to swap 1st's, get a 2nd, and a first the following year.

The days of draft day rapes, I mean trades, has to end.

I've recently been kicking around (in my head), the notion of Derek Anderson playing well this season, thus negating the need to draft ANOTHER QB with a top 5 pick and securing me one of my prized defenders.. And it sounds fine and dandy, right? Nope, it doesn't. It causes an huge problem because it can't happen.

I want to select a defender (Berry, Suh, Mays, McCoy whatever) at the top of next year's draft, instead of one of these shiteating QB's (Bradford, Claussen, C McCoy etc.). I'm guessing the only way we avoid talking a QB high is if DA plays well enough to show Mangini he can be the future of this franchise (I know...). That way, we'll have our QB and be free to take one of these stud defenders. Great! Well, kinda.

If DA plays well, we'll probably win some games, thus taking us out of contention for Suh, Berry, McCoy, etc, and if he doesn't play well, we'll probably lose a shit-ton of games and pick up where I wanna pick, but we'll be tempted to take the stupid QB instead because we won't have one.

FCUK!!! We just can't catch a break.

Damned if you do, DA, and damned if you don't.

No matter how well the Anderson plays, the Browns will have a top 12 pick and a boat load of picks to bargain with. This is going to be a crucial draft that is supposed to be deep.

I really don't think We'll draft a QB with our first pick. I'm looking at a free agent if Anderson or Quinn haven't earned Mangini's trust. Clemens becomes a FA. FOr the draft? Tackles and Backers and Corners.

I am starting to think about trading Quinn to the Jets for Kolb, their soon? to be 3rd string qb,

and a third round pick.

Kolb threw for two 300 yd games before apparently being demoted? what? because they want to activate Vick?

DA has Testeverdeitis - great arm, permanently bad judgement occasionally.

Wait, make that an occasional stage fright under pressure and throwing int's...

which is permanent.

Wait, make that... oh, never mind.

I'm just looking for a big win this weekend.

I am starting to think about trading Quinn to the Jets for Kolb, their soon? to be 3rd string qb,

and a third round pick.

Kolb threw for two 300 yd games before apparently being demoted? what? because they want to activate Vick?

DA has Testeverdeitis - great arm, permanently bad judgement occasionally.

Wait, make that an occasional stage fright under pressure and throwing int's...

which is permanent.

Wait, make that... oh, never mind.

I'm just looking for a big win this weekend.

Great theory Cal..

However, we would need the Eagles to trade Kolb to the Jets in order for us to trade Quinn to the Jets.

I don't think the Eagles would want Quinn, they already have Kolb to take over when McNabb goes down.

I agree with drafting defense and line help. I don't think that DA is the long term answer, I am just hoping he is the answer for the next few years while the team builds through the draft. After a team is in place then can worry about a franchise QB.

so you honestly think if we get better and start winning games we will be able to draft a Franchise qb in with a pick around 15? or are you further assuming we will trade a ton of draft picks and move up and get one? If you keep Anderson for the next few years...this will be the exact time to take a QB because we will have a top 5 pick!

If you look at it another way, we have 3 unproven QB's. Although DA has had some work, we still don't know his potential, and we know even less about Quinn and Ratliff respectively. I figure Mangini will give it at least another year to test the waters with all those guys. If worse comes to worse and none of these work out next year, then he can look into picking up a FA QB in the middle of next season and then picking up a rook QB in 2011.

Archived