THE BROWNS BOARD

James Davis Drama

DestinFunk

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4551033

Two Thursdays ago, Browns rookie running back James Davis aggravated a shoulder injury and suffered a torn labrum that now will require surgery in Alabama this week with Dr. James Andrews.

AFC North blog

ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

How Davis was injured is the question swirling around the league.

Two witnesses to the incident from within the Browns organization said Davis injured his shoulder in a post-practice drill in which he was not wearing pads and the linebacker that plowed into him was. Three other NFL sources corroborated the witnesses' account.

A Browns spokesman said Saturday it is not true.

Once he denied the events, the sources were contacted Saturday for a second time -- some for a third or fourth -- and asked about the incident again.

Each repeated the same details. Davis was injured during a pass blocking drill in what Cleveland calls a post-practice "opportunity period" when a Browns linebacker in pads "got frisky" and "trucked" Davis, who was not in pads.

The NFL has been aware of this incident and has been looking into it, a league spokesman said this weekend.

News of the accident filtered to Washington last week. The NFL Players Association called it "an outrage." It wanted to file a grievance about the incident, and still might.

However, an NFLPA source said Davis is extremely hesitant to do this out of fear for his job and without his support it could be difficult to generate a case.

It also is uncertain what the NFLPA could grieve if the Browns pay Davis his full $310,000 base salary and try not to pay him the $215,000 on his split contract. But even if the issue were to fade away, the NFLPA is going to do what it can to make sure it doesn't.

"This is an outrage," said a high-ranking NFLPA source. "We have a no-pads rule for offseason activities. We've never seen a need to have a rule that if some guy has on pads, he can't take on a guy without pads. The commissioner's office needs to look into this."

A sixth-round pick from Clemson, Davis initially injured his shoulder during the Browns' season-opening loss to the Minnesota Vikings. But it was not severe enough for him to miss any time until he aggravated it and tore his labrum in the days leading up to Cleveland's game against Cincinnati.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.

Oct 11, 2009

ESPN: Injury to Browns' James Davis may mean more trouble for Eric Mangini

03:44 PMYahoo! BuzzShare

DiggNewsvineRedditFacebookE-mailSavePrint1 Comments

3 Recommend When Cleveland Browns rookie RB James Davis went on injured reserve (torn labrum in shoulder) Oct. 3, it seemed to be just another blow to an offense that was without RB Jamal Lewis (at the time) was transitioning from QB Brady Quinn to Derek Anderson and would soon export star WR Braylon Edwards.

But back to Davis, who likely would have had a prominent role in Lewis' stead had he not been hurt on the Thursday prior to Cleveland's Oct. 4 home loss to Cincinnati.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, "Davis injured his shoulder in a post-practice drill in which he was not wearing pads and the linebacker that plowed into him was. Three other NFL sources corroborated the witnesses' account."

Though the Browns deny the report, Schefter's sources have repeatedly stuck to their version of the story, converying "Davis was injured during a pass blocking drill in what Cleveland calls a post-practice 'opportunity period' when a Browns linebacker in pads 'got frisky' and 'trucked' Davis, who was not in pads."

The NFLPA has gotten wind of the incident and is not happy.

"This is an outrage," a NFLPA source told Schefter. "We have a no-pads rule for offseason activities. We've never seen a need to have a rule that if some guy has on pads, he can't take on a guy without pads. The commissioner's office needs to look into this."

However Davis, a sixth-round pick from Clemson, is said to be reluctant to create a stir about the alleged incident, fearing it could jeopardize his job and standing with the team.

It could be the latest incident to mar Eric Mangini's maiden voyage as Browns coach. He's come under fire for allowing a protracted quarterback battle between Quinn and Anderson -- naming Quinn the starter before reversing himself in the middle of Week 3's loss in Baltimore; bussing rookies from Cleveland to Connecticut and back during the summer to work at his football camp; fining a player $1,701 for failing to pay for a $3 bottle of water at a hotel; and trading Edwards, the team's most explosive offensive player, last week. -- Nate Davis

Guest ATENEARS
Read the complaint. It was AFTER practice.

So what? They were still practicing, and if you were just going through the motions then you shouldn't have been out there.

The LB that hit him is the asshole-teammate, not Mangini.

Jets fags just have it out for Mangini, that is where this story just keeps festering. This story broke last week, Browns fans heard it, yawned, and moved on. NY fans, keep it alive to grind on Mangini.

It's a heck of a lot better way to get hurt (hitting in drills) after practice, than racing bare foot. Was Crennel investigated by the league?

This just puts more weight behind the Steptoe story/complaint

And if you include Don Carey, it's the third torn labrum suffered by one of our young guys.

It's a really tough break for Davis. Some blamed his poor play last year at Clemson on a bum shoulder, and this is a much more serious injury. A torn labrum can sap a young back's power and toughness - just look at how Laurence Maroney's career has been wrecked by shoulder injuries.

Hopefully, Davis will come back 100%. But we might be drafting a RB somewhere in Rounds 2-4 just in case he doesn't.

I like Ryan Mathews. A lot.

The fact that these stories keep popping up concerns me more than anything else about Mangini. I really question whether he should be around after this year due to all the crap that keeps coming up. It's just never ending, and it always seems like continued smoke means that there is fire around. If I were the owner, I'd be keeping note of all this stuff. Better to admit your mistake and move on within a year, even if it means egg on the face.

This is just ESPN and the NY media still having it out for Mangini because they don't like him. Grievances are filed all the time on all teams for all reasons (whether fines or practice issues). To be honest, this one concerns me too but what exactly in the hell was Davis doing with a hurt shoulder and NOT in pads? I'm sure Mangini didn't say "OH, we're thin at RB and this guy is nicked so (insert LB name here)....go plow into him!".

That's different. That's a mediocre receiver complaining because he got hurt in wet conditions. There were 79 other guys out in wet conditions and none of them got hurt. This, if true, it a bit more legitimate and bit more serious. That said, it makes no sense that this would happen.

Guest Masters
That's different. That's a mediocre receiver complaining because he got hurt in wet conditions. There were 79 other guys out in wet conditions and none of them got hurt. This, if true, it a bit more legitimate and bit more serious. That said, it makes no sense that this would happen.

I'm just saying, you now have Carey story, the Steptoe story, and now the Davis story. As someone else said, that is starting to be a lot of smoke.

You haven't heard anything yet.

Wait until Braylon starts talking.

Because when practice is over, I'm guessing guys take their pads off.

Now we get to see you play lawyer AND doctor on the same message board.

Mangini is a chest-beater. It is what it is.

He injured the shoulder against Minnesota and apparently aggravated it during this "opportunity". Sounds to me like a player who's trying to hang it on the team so that he can collect a full check. It's reminiscent of the player who isn't supposed to be riding motorcycles.....

I can promise you he didn't first tear his labrum in some half-assed drill. (and yes, I am a doctor).

Because when practice is over, I'm guessing guys take their pads off.

Now we get to see you play lawyer AND doctor on the same message board.

Mangini is a chest-beater. It is what it is.

Well if practice is over why is the player alledgely playing blitz pickup without pads against a player who was, and why the f'ck is the player in pads letting him do it? And why is this on Mangini? Until ALL the facts come out how about reserving judgement.

Lawyer and Doctor? Hey asshat do you know what a torn labrum is? Do you know how they happen? How about shutting it while you go find out.

Because Mangini is the boss, and the buck stops there, so to speak. You know that. Bullshit going down on his watch, whether he "authorized" it or not, whether he even saw it or not, is on HIM. Because he's the boss.

Is it a torn ballsack, Doctor DD? Broken clitoris??

I'll hit you up later, fellas. Gotta check out Web f-ing MD to catch up with DD's medical expertise.

Sorry, but this isn't on Mangini because Davis had damaged his shoulder BEFORE this supposedly took place. My guess it didn't really happen at all, but the players and players in question who made it look like it to get at Mangini. No different than the non-water bottle incident. I feel sorry for Davis because he is caught up in all this much like Elam.

The Savage/Crennel players will not go down without a fight.

Sorry, but this isn't on Mangini because Davis was damaged his shoulder BEFORE this supposedly took place. My guess it didn't really happen at all, but the players and players in question who made it look like it to get at Mangini. No different than the non-water bottle incident. I feel sorry for Davis because he is caught up in all this much like Elam.

The Savage/Crennel players will not go down without a fight.

Very true, and I was reading that there is a financial incentive for this to be on the team as opposed to just your run of the mill injury....just can't seem to find that. Must've been retracted.

I'll hit you up later, fellas. Gotta check out Web f-ing MD to catch up with DD's medical expertise.

You miss the point again. Why give credence to the rumor when you don't know WTF you're talking about? Why are you expanding the rumor based on information a laymen should know not to be true? You're anti-Mangini, I realize that. But use your fooking head.

I miss the point, but you're the one laboring on re: the injury instead of focusing on the big picture. Because you obviously didn't get it the eighth time, I'll spell it out for you: the injury itself wasn't the point, it's the chest-beating man-up pussy dogshit Mangini seems to be spewing that CONTRIBUTED to said injury.

Could you quantify that? "Seems to be spewing"? How do you know what Mangini expects in practice and how far he expects these guys to go? You're trying to make your perception of Mangini's persona translate into responsibility for this injury. You don't have enough data to say that.

What's up with mangina and injuries?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...eKIiHwD9B9SA3G1

NFL investigating Browns running back's injury

By TOM WITHERS (AP) – 55 minutes ago

BEREA, Ohio — Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini said he's cooperating with the NFL in its investigation into rookie running back James Davis' mysterious season-ending shoulder injury.

On Sunday, ESPN.com reported that Davis was injured during a recent post-practice period for extra work when he was hit by a Browns linebacker. According to the report, witnesses said Davis was not wearing shoulder pads while the unidentified defender who hit him had them on.

League spokesman Greg Aiello said the league is aware of the alleged incident and has been looking into the matter.

"The review is ongoing," Aiello said in an e-mail response to The Associated Press.

Mangini confirmed Monday that he has had discussions with the league, and said that following his own research that he's "comfortable with where we are on it."

"I like James Davis a lot," Mangini said. "The last thing we want to do is ever put him in a position or anybody in a position where they could get hurt. I've talked to a lot of people involved in it and we're going to continue to work with the league on it."

Mangini did not deny the report, but repeated several times that he has been in touch with the league.

He said the post-practice period is open to all players to get in extra work, but that it's normally attended by rookies and younger players. He said the workouts are done in a controlled environment, supervised by coaches. Mangini said he occasionally watches.

Mangini noted that Patriots quarterback Tom Brady took part in similar sessions during his first season with New England.

Mangini said he would never condone a situation like the one being reported.

"We'd never do that," he said. "If something like that did happen, it shouldn't happen. Ever."

A sixth-round draft pick from Clemson, Davis was impressive in training camp and the exhibition season. He was hurt in the season opener against Minnesota and was placed on injured reserve on Oct. 3.

The ESPN report said the NFL Players Association may file a grievance, although Davis may hesitate for fear of losing his job. His base salary is $310,000 this season.

Browns linebacker D'Qwell Jackson did not see the incident, and thought it sounded implausible. He said players can be fined by Mangini for not wearing the proper pads at practice.

"That sounds crazy to me that something like that would be reported," Jackson said. "But I wasn't there. I don't know exactly what happened. That doesn't make any sense to me. That wouldn't be fair to him (Davis)."

Running back Jamal Lewis, who knows Davis well, avoided any specific questions about the incident.

"Actually, I don't really know none of that," said Lewis, who attended the same Atlanta high school as Davis. "I just know that he had hurt his shoulder in the first game. That's all I really know about."

Mangini confirmed that Davis will need surgery but would not say if an operation has been scheduled.

in the end it IS MANGINI's fault. But not because of some attitude he has about "manning up" but because it's his coaching staff, and if there are rules, then the coach watching this drill should have made sure both players were following the rules.

mz the pussy is like Bill Livingston. He'll make shit up and ignore facts to get his point across. We may find out that there was no truth to the story that Davis went without pads and the LB had them. I HIGHLY doubt that's what occurred, but if true then Mangini needs to hold some people accountable, than promptly cut the two idiots because they undoubtedly do not have the brains to play in the NFL. The buck stops with Mangini but there are some facts that need to be presented before I believe some sources.

Could you quantify that? "Seems to be spewing"? How do you know what Mangini expects in practice and how far he expects these guys to go? You're trying to make your perception of Mangini's persona translate into responsibility for this injury. You don't have enough data to say that.

mz the pussy was all hot and heavy for this thread until asked to explain himself, and then much like Lums, he disappears in the face of facts.

Guest Masters

Or it could be that mz the pussy isn't logged in right now.

This is 3 cases of injuries with questionable situations. While it might not end up being true, that is a lot of smoke.

Or it could be that mz the pussy isn't logged in right now.

This is 3 cases of injuries with questionable situations. While it might not end up being true, that is a lot of smoke.

He was here yesterday after Earl34 posted, he just ignored this thread.

What 3 questionable injuries?

Guest Masters
He was here yesterday after Earl34 posted, he just ignored this thread.

What 3 questionable injuries?

Jesus dude, maybe he didn't make it back to this thread before he logged out.

I'd suggest you read the thread instead of chastizing mz the pussy. All 3 are listed in this thread (Carey, Steptoe, and now Davis).

Archived