THE BROWNS BOARD

Jamie Dukes on the Browns

chumpchange

After streaming the post game conference with Mangini gushing about the great win (and the press corp baiting him a little: "Have you ever seen a team win with 2 completions?" Mangini: "Yeah, I can't remember the year, but I think it was in New England."), Dukes all but called Mangini an incompetent control freak with no record to justify it and said, "And to think you could have had Winslow and Edwards on this team."

"Dukes was pitying the Browns after Mangini managed to trade away 2 pro-bowl talents from the offense, and he also made a GREAT point about Mangini being influenced by BB and Parcells, but not quite getting it. Dukes said yeah, "Character" is important, but you NEED Pro-Bowl players to compete in the league. LT, anyone? Ty Law? Randy Moss? Corey Dillon? He was pretty much mocking Mangini trading away his "troubled" guys, both of whom were pretty much the best players on the team and getting very nice, lower talent types to fill his roster."

IF jamie dukes was a past coach/gm I could see that he might have some valuable insight on how to build and manage a team.

A former center who turns into a sportscaster that has always seemed a bit to slanted toward the individual players he personally lies just does not hold much water with me.

that sounds like a lot of people who are now sports 'analysts' (Trent Dilfer comes to mind)

You're exactly right - though I respect the hell out of Dilfer. Dukes just tries too hard and he's often called on his comments (the Chris Johnson interview is a shining example).

Says many things with a big smile and a good portion of those words are opinion presented as fact.

Beanpot

I think Dilfer is quickly becoming one of the very best in his business. The guy is smart and really comfortable on camera.

Agree completely. He's not afraid to be a dick when he talks about players and organizations and he's plenty sharp when breaking down film.

Beanpot

Archived