THE BROWNS BOARD

QB Discussion (pre Oct 11th game)

BrownsFan4Evr

College history big game flop at Notre Dame.

Quinn went 19-6 in his two seasons under Weis, but his critics underscore those six losses, all in so-called "big games" — twice against Southern California, the Sugar Bowl to Russell-led LSU, the Fiesta Bowl to Ohio State and to Michigan and Michigan State in the regular season.

What would Quinn tell a GM who asked why he should be taken ahead of Russell?

"I'd tell them I'm the most prepared collegiate player for the NFL in the draft," Quinn said at the scouting combine in Indianapolis. "There's not one other player that's had the kind of coaching that I've had the past couple of years.

"I feel that I am the best leader for a team that needs someone to step in."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/dr...ady-quinn_N.htm

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Masters
flacco was a rookie....queen's been doing commercials longer than he's been in the league.

guess all that hard work studying paid off....

Real playing time is real playing time. There is no substitute for live games in the regular season. All the playbook and film study doesn't give you a feel for real game speed.

Not implying BQ would turn into Flacco. But the notion that 5 1/2 real games is enough time to judge a QB in the NFL is just silly at best.

DA is more likely to be traded. Actually it fits Mangini's mold, start DA for a few games, if he plays well, it builds his value, then trade him. We're rebuilding.

A lot of people have said that Quinn fits Mangini's mold and I'm not sure why. It can only be based on how NY's offense ran with Pennington and you make do with what you have. When he had Favre healthy it was a different offensive "mold". I think winning fits Mangini's mold more than anything. If DA wins games this year, he isn't going anywhere. If he flounders, hello Kevin Kolb!

Real playing time is real playing time. There is no substitute for live games in the regular season. All the playbook and film study doesn't give you a feel for real game speed.

Not implying BQ would turn into Flacco. But the notion that 5 1/2 real games is enough time to judge a QB in the NFL is just silly at best.

If the QB in question continues to miss reads and throws over those 5-1/2 games, it's plenty of time. If he holds the ball too long out of of absolute fear, it's enough time. If said QB gets sacked an average of 4-1/2 times a game and the other guy gets sacked 1-1/2 times behind the same line, that's enough time. And if your QB has 16 completions for just over 100 yards on a regular basis, that's plenty of time. In a nutshell, Brady has had enough time. But, if your QB is the future of a franchise with no hope and he doesn't have a youg gunslinger with poise behind him, you ride it out.

Holy commas!

College history big game flop at Notre Dame.

Quinn went 19-6 in his two seasons under Weis, but his critics underscore those six losses, all in so-called "big games" — twice against Southern California, the Sugar Bowl to Russell-led LSU, the Fiesta Bowl to Ohio State and to Michigan and Michigan State in the regular season.

What would Quinn tell a GM who asked why he should be taken ahead of Russell?

"I'd tell them I'm the most prepared collegiate player for the NFL in the draft," Quinn said at the scouting combine in Indianapolis. "There's not one other player that's had the kind of coaching that I've had the past couple of years.

"I feel that I am the best leader for a team that needs someone to step in."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/dr...ady-quinn_N.htm

Hey mods - how about we clean this shit up. Not only is it 3 years old, it's largely inaccurate (for starters- the Bush Push), and it's from a fcuking Ratbirds fan.

I mean for-fcuks-sake Stan, if this Raven fan came in here spouting off this dumb shit about DA, you'd be crying in your beer so hard you'd get a nosebleed.

What does this even have to do with the current topic: which is, why are half of us Gay for Brady's shoes?

Guest Masters
If the QB in question continues to miss reads and throws over those 5-1/2 games, it's plenty of time. If he holds the ball too long out of of absolute fear, it's enough time. If said QB gets sacked an average of 4-1/2 times a game and the other guy gets sacked 1-1/2 times behind the same line, that's enough time. And if your QB has 16 completions for just over 100 yards on a regular basis, that's plenty of time. In a nutshell, Brady has had enough time. But, if your QB is the future of a franchise with no hope and he doesn't have a youg gunslinger with poise behind him, you ride it out.

Holy commas!

Once again, see Joe Flacco's first 6 NFL starts last year. You did nothing here to disprove the basis of my statement.

Guest Masters
quinnyfumble.jpg

That my friend, is HILARIOUS!!!

Another one of Quinn's "HOLY SHIT I"M IN THE NFL?! I'M SCARED!" moments. Frye had a lot of those too.

Except that's a photo shopped picture :rolleyes:

Seeing Edwards traded and the other benchings its obvious Quinns failure in the 2.5 games this year was a major group effort.

We still may see more Quinn towards the end of the season.

Don't count him out yet.

I hope not. He had his chance and he sucked. If he had it, he would still be starting. Remember John Kitna with the Ben-Gals? He had a great year when Palmer was a rookie. But Palmer won the job in training camp the next year despite Kitna's great play the year before. Quinn was lucky to have won the job out of training camp this year. He's just not that good.

Holy commas!

exactly, Quin WAS NOT getting better, at all.

Guest Masters
The Ravens were at least scoring enough points to win some games.... Don't forget they made it to the AFC champioship last year.

Some of those first 6 weeks the O was some, but from little to no help from Flacco (let's not pretend the Browns D and running game is even in the same league as the Ravens). My simple point is, 5 1/2 games isn't enough time to judge a QB, and the Ravens are better off for not having that type of mentality.

Once again, see Joe Flacco's first 6 NFL starts last year. You did nothing here to disprove the basis of my statement.

Rookie struggling is one thing but failing to improve in practice, preseason, and real games after 3 years in the league is another thing completely.

Guest Masters
Rookie struggling is one thing but failing to improve in practice, preseason, and real games after 3 years in the league is another thing completely.

Sounds like both QB on the Browns roster.

If you haven't played live games at QB, you are essentially a rookie, imo.

He got what he got, and didn't take advantage of it. Life's not fair, I'm teaching my 3 year old that, you'd think grown fans would understand the same.

If he gets another chance and has a great career, either here or somewhere else, Good for Brady. If not, I could care less.

Maybe you could learn something from your 3 yr old called compassion. You are right, he got what he got and that was the shaft!!! It amazes me how you can NOT be pissed off that we spent what we did to get him and then not do what is necessary to find out if he is capable of being the franchise or not AND you CANNOT make that determination based on what has transpired up to today. If you can, well then you must be omnipotent (not!)

Guest Masters
Maybe you could learn something from your 3 yr old called compassion. You are right, he got what he got and that was the shaft!!! It amazes me how you can NOT be pissed off that we spent what we did to get him and then not do what is necessary to find out if he is capable of being the franchise or not AND you CANNOT make that determination based on what has transpired up to today. If you can, well then you must be omnipotent (not!)

It's kind of pointless to get pissed about it. It is what it is. I will only be pissed if Quinn turns out to be good while on other team.

He did not get a fair shot. He should have come into camp on time in 2007 and fought it out with Frye and Anderson. I don't feel bad for Quinn, and I wish him luck with the Browns or elsewhere, but he screwed himself in the long run by holding out.

If you recall, rumor was that the coaching staff played a part in not getting him signed and did not plan on letting him compete for the starting job anyhow, wanting to groom him over a yr or 2. I DO feel bad for him! I also feel bad for US (the fans) in that if the FO continues to make dumb ass decisions like this, we will never field a team we can get excited about. JMHO

The coaches have seen him all spring, summer, preseason and 3 starts. That's plenty of time to get a feel for what the kid is capable of. The coaches could be thinking he's crap, the coaches could be thinking he just isn't the type of QB they need for what they want to do, the coaches could be thinking he needs to work on a few things in practice and develop a bit more before handing the reigns over to him permanently just yet. If the coaches think DA is the better player for now, it doesn't necessarily say they're giving up on Quinn, but the coaches are correct in playing the best player for now. All this talk about him deserving to be playing now to develop is silly, if he is as smart and hard working and capable as some on the board claim he is he'll be able to develop while on the bench.

You ARE RetardED!!! After spring, summer & preseason they decided he was the better QB. AND how in the hell can he develop while on the bench? Oh yea, we'll be able to measure his bench development and decide to franchise him and with even more bench development, I'm quite sure that he will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Retard!!!

After spring, summer & preseason they decided he was the better QB.

I have strong doubts about that. It is almost beyond comprehension that someone could watch Quinn and Anderson play QB one after another and come to the conclusion that there is anything whatsoever that Quinn does better.

imhso,

Quinn was pulled because of Edwards' not getting open, bouncing passes off his hands like a hunk of hardwood,

and with the right side of the oline failing to do the job in pass protection,

it is better for a veteran player with a lot of experience to handle it as best he can.

They decided to go with quick hitting plays, and DA is the veteran qb on the team.

DA is Vinny Testeverde, he will always be what he is. Quinn hasn't become what he will be yet.

Not that that makes sense to everybody, but it's what I'm thinking.

at our booth at the farmer's market, a Steeler fan came up with his jacket and hat. I had my jacket and hat for the Browns,

so, as he bought some big bell peppers, I told him "just so you know, the Browns are going to beat the Steelers at least once this year."

He laughed and said it wouldn't surprise him....

flunkedthetesteverde always was the guy who just flipped out under pressure, and threw int's. It never stopped.

But he did have streaks of success here and there.

Calf,

Well stated and spot on! DA is a clone of Testeverde and we do not have enough info on Quinn yet. I just hope that he gets another shot in Cleveland with the ability to call his own plays because the play calling he had to deal with the first two and a half games was not what was needed to give him any chance to succeed.

Guest Masters
I have strong doubts about that. It is almost beyond comprehension that someone could watch Quinn and Anderson play QB one after another and come to the conclusion that there is anything whatsoever that Quinn does better.

Apparently CLE coaches did that (you can doubt, but trotting Quinn out as the starter at the beginning of the season goes against your doubt).

Based on preseason (I am well aware preseason means little to nothing), Quinn moved the team better. That obviously hasn't been the case in live games so far.

Sorry Old Dawg, But Quinn had his chance and blew it. He played quite pathetically, showing no signs of improvement, pro-level ability or hope. He was terrible. Two different coaching staffs obviously feel that he isn't starter material. He couldn't even hold on to the starting position in a rebuilding year.

Guest Masters
Sorry Old Dawg, But Quinn had his chance and blew it. He played quite pathetically, showing no signs of improvement, pro-level ability or hope. He was terrible. Two different coaching staffs obviously feel that he isn't starter material. He couldn't even hold on to the starting position in a rebuilding year.

:huh: Two coaching staffs? Pretty sure the last staff replaced DA with him and before getting fired said Quinn was the QB going forward.

He had 10 quarters this year. Not exactly a long time to show improvement now is it?

Unbeleivable that this argument exists still.

DA is the starter for now, most think he will continue to suck.

Quinn did suck when he started 2.5 games, some think thats enough time to determine his starter abilities.

I've always thought Quinn had what it takes to start in the NFL, if and when he gets another shot at it, he had better show something. Look for a much looser game plan against Buff. Anderson won't see 40+ attempts this game but Harrison will see more attempts than last week.

This would be bad timing for DA to regress any farther and his reins will be pulled in a little for this game.

Josh Cribbs may make his way back to our offensive game plan this week also.

27-17

If you call having his chance with 1 receiver, 0 running game, and an idiot OC calling running plays on 3rd and 12 when you have no running game and no right side of the Oline a real chance to Show your stuff, you are crazy! Peyton Manning or Tom Brady would have looked pathetic in the same situation.

If you call having his chance with 1 receiver, 0 running game, and an idiot OC calling running plays on 3rd and 12 when you have no running game and no right side of the Oline a real chance to Show your stuff, you are crazy!

I hear Brady is really going to show his stuff this week. He's going to wear one of Braylon's orange shoes and one of Trautwein's black ones, oil up his guns before the game, and then snatch off his pants everythime DA throws a TD pass, only to reveal Shaun Smith's jockstrap and dance for the Buffalo girls. Word is, with DA set to light up the Bills secondary, those big Buffalo mama's are paying top dollar for the first row behind the Browns bench.

Zombo

Archived