THE BROWNS BOARD

Alex Mack

Sez.EJ

Just saying.. Mack is really coming on each game.. I CAN NOT WAIT.. to see how he works against Casey Hampton... It is the guys like Hampton and Ngata from Baltimore is the reason we drafted him. Hampton will still likely get the better of him in "THIS" game.. but I am guessing by the time we play them later in the season..the tide will have turned..

Nice draft pick..He and Thomas will be the core of this line for years.. Now for a decent or better LT this offseason and we will be a force..

Guest ATENEARS

Great thread topic, this is what I came to the forum last night to talk about, it's what I discussed at the water cooler in the office all day.

Did you see him pulling and leading Cribbs around the corner? just awesome.

He's looking good and it is these little things that really have me excited about a few things regarding this rebuilding year.

Just saying.. Mack is really coming on each game.. I CAN NOT WAIT.. to see how he works against Casey Hampton... It is the guys like Hampton and Ngata from Baltimore is the reason we drafted him. Hampton will still likely get the better of him in "THIS" game.. but I am guessing by the time we play them later in the season..the tide will have turned..

Nice draft pick..He and Thomas will be the core of this line for years.. Now for a decent or better LT this offseason and we will be a force..

Absolutely agree 100%. He is going to be a stud for us. He has gotten better with every snap from training camp on. I have to be honest, in training camp I said WTF did we pick this chump for? But having to go against S. Rogers every practice has really paid off for him. Throw in that he is smart and wants to be good and you have yourself a very good player.

From Mack to Thomas we are super solid, and now that Mangini (one of his few brilliant moves) put Fraley in at guard you can see St. Clair's game elevated significantly. Offensive line is one of those weird units where the play of the guy next to you impacts how you play your position.

Stole my thunder....Fraley to RG was what I was hoping for. He's like a teacher on the field for Mack. I met Mack this summer and I will tell you he is one smart kid and he seems like a great guy. I would go so far as to say the Mike Adams move has worked out fantastically as well.

Thanks for bringing that up EJ...the guy is starting to show what is in store...and it is good.

You got that right. When we drafted him I lost my mind saying WTF are we doing............ But he will be a good one for a long time. I'm excited about this pick. Next years draft is so huge for our franchise. We can NOT fukc this draft up.

Don't underestimate how hard it is for a rookie CENTER to come in

and take over. I don't remember another, fwiw, to do it.

Mack doesn't seem to be struggling - he's dominating like Joe Thomas is.

Very cool.

During the game tonight, they said the Jets have arguably the best offensive line in the NFL.

Big thanks to Mangini for that.

Imagine how great this OL could be if we can get an effective RG and RT?

Fraley filled in great, but he's obviously not the future at the position. Mack made great strides, and he's showing me that we may not have effed that pick up.

I'm loving a line that starts with JT, Steinbach, and Mack.

Fraley filled in great, but he's obviously not the future at the position. Mack made great strides, and he's showing me that we may not have effed that pick up.

Steinbach has no future here either. Overpaid, subpar run blocker. Got slammed down by the Ravens.

You got that right. When we drafted him I lost my mind saying WTF are we doing............ But he will be a good one for a long time. I'm excited about this pick. Next years draft is so huge for our franchise. We can NOT fukc this draft up.

For all the heat Mangini takes, I think he knows good football players and which kind he wants to fit in to our mold.

I don't think he is going to make many poor selections when picking players ( note that there is always a failure rate all coaches deal with so we can't be unrealistic)

I have a feeling the extra picks we have for next year are going to go a long way towards setting our foundation.

So far Mack and MoMass look to be real nice picks and I can't help but think both Robo and Vinuke are going to be at least good players.

I think our drafting under mangini is going to be solid on a consistent basis.

Veikune is a mystery still. First, he has to adjust to the NFL and then he has to adjust to playing a 3-4. That is not easy. If he gets significant playing time this year without and injury in front of him, I'll be shocked.

You should have been here 2 weeks ago when people on here were ripping Mangini apart and calling for his termination over his terrible draft and Mack being a bust. Of course, I was called names for suggesting that we all calm down and let the center develope. But whatever, I'm just a DA loving "tard" Who "doesn't have any more inside information on the Browns than anyone else" so what do I know. Besides, Mangini didn't make personell decisions in NY it was clearly their GM.

If the player isn't really fast, or if it's not a turnover or a TD; than I have no clue what goes on in a football game. I'm not that much unlike a lot of other members on here though really.

Absolutely agree 100%. He is going to be a stud for us. He has gotten better with every snap from training camp on. I have to be honest, in training camp I said WTF did we pick this chump for? But having to go against S. Rogers every practice has really paid off for him. Throw in that he is smart and wants to be good and you have yourself a very good player.

And you know Mangini is going to. He did it in NY. I like it, it's Mangenius.

Get off your high horse Mop.

This board has its share of inciters who don't seem to care about the game. However, there are a ton of real football fans here who are students and most of them are quite happy with Mack. You aren't the lone shining light of football wisdom. Hate to break it to you.

Just key on Mack during the games, you will be impressed

Thats what I like to do. I have NFL Rewind were i can watch all the games from 08 and this season and i try to really cue in on certain positions like the lines, LB's stuff like that. I swear ive watched all our games 08-09 at least 3 times and the NY game last year about 10 times(whenever i get depressed about the Browns). I didn't really start watching football till the later half of last year so i try and do a lot of studying on Rewind and on all the boards in whatnot. I have to say ive def learned more on these boards in almost a year than some people i talk to that have been football guys their whole lives. So yeah anyone wants to really "scout" the Browns or our competitors should check out the NFL Rewind. Its all game no commercials and the average game lasts about 2 hours, you can pause and rewind all that good stuff.

Are you the same DB41 from FF?

Lots of talk here about the Mack-Mangold similarity... but the Browns, if they're smart, will find a better likeness by looking farther south: The Dolphins are a good example of a team of JAGs that have turned things around relatively quickly. They've got a bunch of guys filling roles in addition to a strong run-blocking OL. You only hear about the running back for a QB with the WildDawg. But another characteristic of it is a fullback behind an unbalanced OL with a second tackle lined up where a TE (who goes weak side) usually is. If Cleveland can find some way to leverage their OL with a similar package of muscle and supplement their backfield with a couple playmakers like Cribbs they might find success sooner rather than later. It's a copycat league after all.

There was a lot of criticism on Mangini/Kokonis trade downs in the draft and not getting "impact' players.. I myself was happy with this pick.... OK so a center is not a sexy first round pick..I'll give ya that..but when you look at the DT's in our division Hampton, Ngata mainly.. we needed a young pup to sick on them and drive them out of the hole.. I have been tired of seeing those guys collapse the pocket from the inside. I think he and Thomas will solidify this line for the next decade. I believe you build a team from the middle out. center, DT, linebacker, safety, .. then move out from there.. Mangini does have a clue.. I will be curious to see where this draft class stands in 3 years.. We have 11 picks going into next year.. our first will likely be in the top 8 or so.. We just need to keep a coaching/mangagment staff around longer than 3 years before we start ripping the team apart at the seams again.... We will never rebuild if we are constantly rebuilding.. I am sick of new coaches every 3 years.. While I am not sold on Mangini... I think he knows his stuff and needs to be here at least 5-6 year so we can at least develop a consistant philosophy to give this team a fighting chance at becoming dominant once again.

Can't wait to see him battle Hampton tomorrow!!!

There was a lot of criticism on Mangini/Kokonis trade downs in the draft and not getting "impact' players.. I myself was happy with this pick.... OK so a center is not a sexy first round pick..I'll give ya that..but when you look at the DT's in our division Hampton, Ngata mainly.. we needed a young pup to sick on them and drive them out of the hole.. I have been tired of seeing those guys collapse the pocket from the inside. I think he and Thomas will solidify this line for the next decade. I believe you build a team from the middle out. center, DT, linebacker, safety, .. then move out from there.. Mangini does have a clue.. I will be curious to see where this draft class stands in 3 years.. We have 11 picks going into next year.. our first will likely be in the top 8 or so.. We just need to keep a coaching/mangagment staff around longer than 3 years before we start ripping the team apart at the seams again.... We will never rebuild if we are constantly rebuilding.. I am sick of new coaches every 3 years.. While I am not sold on Mangini... I think he knows his stuff and needs to be here at least 5-6 year so we can at least develop a consistant philosophy to give this team a fighting chance at becoming dominant once again.

Can't wait to see him battle Hampton tomorrow!!!

It's difficult to be patient when we've been patient so long. But I agree. I'm not sold on Mangini either but he needs to stay around for a few years.

So far the Mack and MMass picks are looking good from a money saved(Mack)/value(MMass) standpoint. The Robiskie one bad. The Veikune pick is probably better to evaluate in coming years much like Teddy Bruschi(who he was compared too).

The biggest busts may be the 6th round picks.

Let's not jump ship on Robiskie quite yet. He's not having the type of rookie year KJ had either and he was a second-rounder. I get that. But let's see how he does when he actually plays a bit.

Veikune concerns me, but we haven't even seen him at ILB yet.

Also, our 6th rounders can hardly be busts in name. More like misses. However, James Davis will be back next year.

Back to the thread topic. Mack is a stud and he's only going to get better. This was a must to be strong up the middle in this division. He gives us another solid building block. But we've GOT to have a good draft in April. It's imperative for the future of this team. With 11 picks and needs all over the field, there has to be a great deal of success with our choices.

Also, our 6th rounders can hardly be busts in name. More like misses. However, James Davis will be back next year.

I agree. After the 3rd round expectations should be lowered considerably as to how good a player might become. It is almost like throwing darts at groupings of names.

Somewhere in there plain old luck is a big factor.

We can always look around the league and point to this player or that player and say "why didn't we draft that guy?" , but those teams don't do it every year, and much of the players success has to do with what team takes him.

Tom Brady as an example might have been a nobody and out of the league had we selected him...and that has nothing to do with our ability, or inability to coach the guy...most has to do with who else is on the team, time and moment.

There are hundreds of players who MAY have become great players had a different team selected them or had they been given just a bit more of a chance.

It's the way fate works sometimes.

Everybody can look at their own life...if this hadn't of happened, I would have never been there at that time, which would of lead to this never happening, which.....you get the point.

It's difficult to be patient when we've been patient so long. But I agree. I'm not sold on Mangini either but he needs to stay around for a few years.

Kathy, I've seen allude to wanting to say something about the coaching a couple of times. What don't you feel comfortable with Mangini so far?

I just read the Newspaper and to tell you the truth, I'm pumped up for the future by what I hear them saying. Not making excuses, but not taking account for the past failures either. They seem positive, up beat, and constantly moving forward in increments. I'm pretty high on not necessarily Mangini, but the way in which his entire staff is working.

Everybody can look at their own life...if this hadn't of happened, I would have never been there at that time, which would of lead to this never happening, which.....you get the point.

Indeed. Life takes some curious turns. I'm thinking it's about time some curious turns happen in favor of the Browns (and, while we're at it, against the NY Yankees).

Archived