THE BROWNS BOARD

Standings Don't Have a Column for Pretty

Flugel

Folks,

Quit worrying about how pretty the Win was because the week before was PRETTY and we lost.

Just be happy we're in the midst of a 2 game streak where we had a VERY GOOD chance to win the game vrs the alternative.

Positives I'm celebrating:

1) Oline - alot of people were writing Steinbach was over the hill in preseason but that's not at all true. Alex Mack is REALLY coming on and I think Fraley playing next to him is an enormous help. That old man is a pleasant surprise I nbever saw coming at RG. St Clair hasn't sucked in successive weeks either. Then again, one doesn't last for more than a decade and start for at least 3 different teams if he lacks game.

2) STs - Never seen a better day downing the ball inside an opponent's 5 yard line

3) Running Game - anything wrong with 2 different RBs going over 100 yards on the day in successive weeks? Does anyone think our defense is complaining about the time of possession upgrade the last 2 weeks? Now opponents have to prepare for 2 different styles of RB capable of gaining more than 100 yards on them. That doesn't suck.

4) I LOVE seeing Rogers lining up over OTs because it's changing the ability of our opponents to reach the edge. GREAT adaptation and learning from trends taking place.

5) Wimbley got another sack so I count 4 so far. Does Everette Brown, Brian Orakpo, or Aaron Maybin have more? Meanwhile Rogers and Robaire were pushing their men back into the QB before he could throw the ball.

6) Mike Adams is a gem folks. He's a pretty good bang for the buck here and has the talent to play Safety or corner if need be.

7) Game plans that knew our opponent as well as what we are strong at.

Expectations for Growth:

1) Chemistry in the passing game will come.

I'd like to see an experienced #1 WR in here so an inexperienced Wr like MoMass isn't facing the best corner on the opposing defense. As we saw, even though Braylon had his dropsies - Cincy was rolling their coverages his way leaving MoMass favorable matchups without Safety help.. Someone mentioned Marvin Harrison is still available and I like that idea some. Do I dare say Matt Jones is still out there? There was an article in the Nashville paper that said he ran some excellent 40s here a few weeks ago and they're still allegedly contemplating him. Dude ran 4.3s at indy and has ideal height IF, big IF, he has resolved some of his personal issues.

Deep 6 this Robert Royal idea. He's worthless. Just because people can make GREAT music without eye sight doesn't mean they can catch passes on Sundays. This guy gave me heebeegeebee flashbacks to the useless Dennis Northcutt running routes in the middle of the field. I haven't see us start a TE this bad since after Milt Moran retired in the 70s. Start Heiden.

Continuity will improve this so MoMass will get back on track. I'm looking forward to seeing Robiskie bring back reminders of Freddie Biltnekopf without the gay stick em shoot all over his hands. Is Patten still here? I wouldn't even give up on Cribbs regardless of how popular that idea was getting. Let's develop this crew.

Last but not least, I see other teams in college and pro that know how to come back to the football when it isn't thrown perfect. This isn't impossible folks. I hope everyone had their volume on yesterday when the commentators said the wind was brutal so it wasn't a day to be floating touch passes out there: convenient or not.

We know what needs work so I'm confident the Browns will be working on it all week. I don't give a rat if Dick LeBeau is next. Cincy beat them in regulation while they could only tie us with 60 minutes. We had the PRETTY game vrs Cincy and lost but had the alleged UGLY game vrs Buffalo and won. Maybe it's just me but ANYTIME I see our oline and dline dominating, that's a beautiful thing!

- Tom F. (Thanks for reading!)

Guest ATENEARS

Great point about Rogers lining up over OTs. We have been using good spacing and depth penetration with this group.

With this O-line & D-line another key will be staying healthy. We've had groups starting to gel before, but then a key injury blew the whole thing up.

One more point - the players look like the are having fun and playing together as a group. Besides for the QB's pouting when not in, everyone else seems to be focused on a common goal. I give Mangini a lot of credit for this.

Robaire had his best game that i can remember.

Pontbriand was outstanding, as usual. It's nice when your punter can concentrate on the kicking part of his job, and not where the snap is going to end up. Same for the FG holder.

i love 6-3 games. What's everybody complaining about?

Folks,

Quit worrying about how pretty the Win was because the week before was PRETTY and we lost.

Just be happy we're in the midst of a 2 game streak where we had a VERY GOOD chance to win the game vrs the alternative.

Positives I'm celebrating:

1) Oline - alot of people were writing Steinbach was over the hill in preseason but that's not at all true. Alex Mack is REALLY coming on and I think Fraley playing next to him is an enormous help. That old man is a pleasant surprise I nbever saw coming at RG. St Clair hasn't sucked in successive weeks either. Then again, one doesn't last for more than a decade and start for at least 3 different teams if he lacks game.

2) STs - Never seen a better day downing the ball inside an opponent's 5 yard line

3) Running Game - anything wrong with 2 different RBs going over 100 yards on the day in successive weeks? Does anyone think our defense is complaining about the time of possession upgrade the last 2 weeks? Now opponents have to prepare for 2 different styles of RB capable of gaining more than 100 yards on them. That doesn't suck.

4) I LOVE seeing Rogers lining up over OTs because it's changing the ability of our opponents to reach the edge. GREAT adaptation and learning from trends taking place.

5) Wimbley got another sack so I count 4 so far. Does Everette Brown, Brian Orakpo, or Aaron Maybin have more? Meanwhile Rogers and Robaire were pushing their men back into the QB before he could throw the ball.

6) Mike Adams is a gem folks. He's a pretty good bang for the buck here and has the talent to play Safety or corner if need be.

7) Game plans that knew our opponent as well as what we are strong at.

Expectations for Growth:

1) Chemistry in the passing game will come.

I'd like to see an experienced #1 WR in here so an inexperienced Wr like MoMass isn't facing the best corner on the opposing defense. As we saw, even though Braylon had his dropsies - Cincy was rolling their coverages his way leaving MoMass favorable matchups without Safety help.. Someone mentioned Marvin Harrison is still available and I like that idea some. Do I dare say Matt Jones is still out there? There was an article in the Nashville paper that said he ran some excellent 40s here a few weeks ago and they're still allegedly contemplating him. Dude ran 4.3s at indy and has ideal height IF, big IF, he has resolved some of his personal issues.

Deep 6 this Robert Royal idea. He's worthless. Just because people can make GREAT music without eye sight doesn't mean they can catch passes on Sundays. This guy gave me heebeegeebee flashbacks to the useless Dennis Northcutt running routes in the middle of the field. I haven't see us start a TE this bad since after Milt Moran retired in the 70s. Start Heiden.

Continuity will improve this so MoMass will get back on track. I'm looking forward to seeing Robiskie bring back reminders of Freddie Biltnekopf without the gay stick em shoot all over his hands. Is Patten still here? I wouldn't even give up on Cribbs regardless of how popular that idea was getting. Let's develop this crew.

Last but not least, I see other teams in college and pro that know how to come back to the football when it isn't thrown perfect. This isn't impossible folks. I hope everyone had their volume on yesterday when the commentators said the wind was brutal so it wasn't a day to be floating touch passes out there: convenient or not.

We know what needs work so I'm confident the Browns will be working on it all week. I don't give a rat if Dick LeBeau is next. Cincy beat them in regulation while they could only tie us with 60 minutes. We had the PRETTY game vrs Cincy and lost but had the alleged UGLY game vrs Buffalo and won. Maybe it's just me but ANYTIME I see our oline and dline dominating, that's a beautiful thing!

- Tom F. (Thanks for reading!)

TEAM CONFIDENCE however Does understand "Pretty" , more so it understands "Ugly" and winning a game that Nobody deserved to win...and it doesn't build confidence.

Guest Masters
TEAM CONFIDENCE however Does understand "Pretty" , more so it understands "Ugly" and winning a game that Nobody deserved to win...and it doesn't build confidence.

You are absolutely correct. All that game did was give the players and coach a sigh of relief because they got 1 in the win column.

You are right...it does. The point is you got it going the wrong direction.

Winning PRETTY is when you win with ALL CYLINDERS CLICKING! A complete game. You did your VERY BEST!!! You SHOULD win those.

When you can WIN UGLY...that means you can win when you are NOT PLAYING YOUR BEST!!! These are the games you STEAL! These are the ones you look back on and say...we must be better than we thought, because we PULLED THAT ONE OUT ON A BAD DAY!!!

I will not only TAKE this win....but I will CELEBRATE this win!!!

When you have enough talent to win UGLY, that's a PRETTY SIGHT.

Let's see... how many times has Balt. won ugly?

EXCELLENT POST by Mr. Flugels,

I've been pretty annoyed with ST. Claire's play until the last game.

Did having Fraley in there make that difference? Or was Womack playing injured,

and St. Claire was trying to cover for him?

The new lb from the Jets got fans' attention yesterday.

I bet the new wr from the same in the trade will see some action this Sunday, as well

as Robieski.

Guest Masters
You are right...it does. The point is you got it going the wrong direction.

Winning PRETTY is when you win with ALL CYLINDERS CLICKING! A complete game. You did your VERY BEST!!! You SHOULD win those.

When you can WIN UGLY...that means you can win when you are NOT PLAYING YOUR BEST!!! These are the games you STEAL! These are the ones you look back on and say...we must be better than we thought, because we PULLED THAT ONE OUT ON A BAD DAY!!!

I will not only TAKE this win....but I will CELEBRATE this win!!!

But WPB, Sunday's game was a game where neither team were clicking on all cylinders. Both teams had very bad days and neither played in a manner deserving of a win. If not for a bone head play by Parrish, that game probably ends in a tie.

But WPB, Sunday's game was a game where neither team were clicking on all cylinders. Both teams had very bad days and neither played in a manner deserving of a win. If not for a bone head play by Parrish, that game probably ends in a tie.

Quite possibly...but it didn't. That is the point. On a day our QB goes 2/17 for 23 yards...WE FOUND A WAY TO WIN!

That is enough for me...for NOW!

I just threw up a little bit, but you're right. Look at the confidence built from a loss last week where we had a rookie that everyone was high on finally have a break out game. DA threw some real beauties to him and we saw the birth of a legitimate #1 WR. Granted, I was pissed when we let BE go, b/c he'd continue to take away DB heat for MoMass this season. I'd personally rather have used BE in that regard to develop MoMass, and then tag BE in the offseason to get 1 & 3. (Or was BE UFA after the season?)

Guest Masters
Quite possibly...but it didn't. That is the point. On a day our QB goes 2/17 for 23 yards...WE FOUND A WAY TO WIN!

That is enough for me...for NOW!

I wish I could share your optimistic spin on the game.

Guest Masters
I just threw up a little bit, but you're right. Look at the confidence built from a loss last week where we had a rookie that everyone was high on finally have a break out game. DA threw some real beauties to him and we saw the birth of a legitimate #1 WR. Granted, I was pissed when we let BE go, b/c he'd continue to take away DB heat for MoMass this season. I'd personally rather have used BE in that regard to develop MoMass, and then tag BE in the offseason to get 1 & 3. (Or was BE UFA after the season?)

He'd be a RFA unless a new collective bargining agreement was reached before the start of next season.

I wish I could share your optimistic spin on the game.

Maybe your expectations are too high. Why? Aside from being sick of losing, I have looked at this season by itself. I am not comparing the team to any other year or any other of the 31 teams. Starting from square 1 I'm looking for improvement. Any other way of evaluating this team will only make your season harder to stomach.

Guest Masters
Maybe your expectations are too high. Why? Aside from being sick of losing, I have looked at this season by itself. I am not comparing the team to any other year or any other of the 31 teams. Starting from square 1 I'm looking for improvement. Any other way of evaluating this team will only make your season harder to stomach.

Oh, my expectations weren't very high. I figured this as a 6 win team at best. But outside of the Cincy game, I have yet to see anything close to a complete game from all phases of the team. I did expect better than that 5 weeks in, especially since that is what EM was supposed to bring, along with stopping the run (which CLE still can't do). I didn't expect to see exactly what we saw from day 1 to the final day of the RAC era.

I don't think it was expecting too much in not expecting the team to play what was one of the most embarrasing NFL games I have ever seen (obviously BUF is just as culpable as CLE for that game having that distiction).

But it didn't...it ended with us winning. Why is that such a hard thing to swallow? ANY GIVEN SUNDAY!!! It is a phrase that is used commonly in football. It means that in any given week you can have anything happen. Maybe the starting QB's girlfriend told him she had been cheating on him the night before the game. The players are just people going to work and doing a job. And trust the fact that to them it is a JOB. How many of the teams are stocked with players that grew up rooting for the team that they play on?

My point being that this team is not good. We all know it. But it is getting better with each week. It's obvious that from what we've seen we do not have the QB of our choice or even thought we should have at this juncture. In either DA or BQ. Not that it's either QB's fault. They both would be better in a system that is more stable. We are not stable yet. Every week is a new test and so far from what i've seen the fundamentals have improved in the trenches which is where we had the worst trouble at the start of the season. I think Mangini isn't as focused on the QB situation as the fans are because he knows without the starting line being good NO QB stands a chance. We need to aquire a VET QB to help for the rest of the season or just take our lumps week by week. I think Mangini is the week by week kinda guy though...

Guest Masters
But it didn't...it ended with us winning. Why is that such a hard thing to swallow? ANY GIVEN SUNDAY!!! It is a phrase that is used commonly in football. It means that in any given week you can have anything happen. Maybe the starting QB's girlfriend told him she had been cheating on him the night before the game. The players are just people going to work and doing a job. And trust the fact that to them it is a JOB. How many of the teams are stocked with players that grew up rooting for the team that they play on?

My point being that this team is not good. We all know it. But it is getting better with each week. It's obvious that from what we've seen we do not have the QB of our choice or even thought we should have at this juncture. In either DA or BQ. Not that it's either QB's fault. They both would be better in a system that is more stable. We are not stable yet. Every week is a new test and so far from what i've seen the fundamentals have improved in the trenches which is where we had the worst trouble at the start of the season. I think Mangini isn't as focused on the QB situation as the fans are because he knows without the starting line being good NO QB stands a chance. We need to aquire a VET QB to help for the rest of the season or just take our lumps week by week. I think Mangini is the week by week kinda guy though...

If continuing to be at the bottom of the league in offense, rush defense, and playing a game like Sundays is getting better, this team is up shit creek imo.

Archived