THE BROWNS BOARD

Kosar's slurred speech

OconRecon

I know we all joke here about Bernie's speech. Some say he's drunk, I'll give you he sounds like it, others say he has a "neurologic condition", which is more accurate.

He has CTE - Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy from repetitive concussions. It effects everyone differently before it usually progresses to full dementia. In Bernie's case, his main symptom, or at least his public symptom, is slurred speech.

60 minutes did a segment last weekend on such concussions: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5377319n

Players of all ages, sooner or later, will have to be cleared via neuropsychiatric testing, which are not yet fully standardized. One thought is this all started with the incorporation of plastic helmets, ironically initially intended to protect the brain. Yet in the leather helmet days, the lack of protection discouraged players from using their helmet as the main point of contact, leading some to hypothesize leather helmets lead to LESS concussions.

Some neurologists are requesting more helmet studies be performed, all helmet to helmet contact be made illegal, and the elimination of the three point stance.

It's not known where this will all lead. Things are going to eventually change some, but to what degree, and when, is yet to be determined.

Anyway, I don't mean to post about concussions. Many here may already know about this disease process, but I thought Bernie's condition could use a bit of friendly understanding.

Archived