THE BROWNS BOARD

The Wildcat - what personnel are required?

lemosley01

Noticed that MIA basically had 3 bruisers lined up in the WildDawg - Williams, Browns, and (?).

I was wondering if a guy like Pat White would be a better fit, or do you need big but fast guys in there to pull it off since it's primarily designed as a run? Is someone like White not big enough?

Seems like an offense that Mike Vick would EXCEL in.

It's strange to watch - you almost KNOW they're going to run it, yet they can't stop it.

Noticed that MIA basically had 3 bruisers lined up in the WildDawg - Williams, Browns, and (?).

I was wondering if a guy like Pat White would be a better fit, or do you need big but fast guys in there to pull it off since it's primarily designed as a run? Is someone like White not big enough?

Seems like an offense that Mike Vick would EXCEL in.

It's strange to watch - you almost KNOW they're going to run it, yet they can't stop it.

Good f'cking players is what it takes. If the browns tried to run a system like that at this point, players' heads would explode after they ran into themselves and fell down right after fumbling the ball and watching the other team take it to the house.

Miami utilizes a perfect mixture of speed and power.

Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams are both guys with good speed and lots of power, while also using Davone Bess (always loved the guy) and obviously Teddy Ginn.

Camarillo makes a great slot receiver as well.

It's really hard for defenses to cover those receivers, while also containing the edge for the sweeps and stacking the box for the run inside.

We don't have power, and we have limited speed.

If we want to use our talent, then we need to find a way to get our receivers open. The first way to do that is to get creative with the running game.

We rarely run sweeps, off-tackle or anything. We run to the 1, 0, and 2 holes all the time. It's easy for defenses to key on that and shut down that run. Add in the fact that on those runs, any holes that are created are sewn up because our RB can't hit them.

We are starting to run more sweeps with Cribbs, but we also need to get Harrison involved even more. We need to properly execute on screen plays, and use Harrison and Cribbs in them more, guys that can find room to run, unlike Lewis who's a power guy.

We need to stretch Mo Mass out and use Robo to be our physical receiver.

I hate to keep referring to personnel, but it helps to have a TE that is a weapon to pull the safety off. When we still had Braylon, he was constantly covered with a safety over the top because it's too easy for a LB to cover the TE, instead of a safety, like when we had K2.

We don't have the offense to keep the defense guessing. We're too vanilla.

Miami utilizes a perfect mixture of speed and power.

Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams are both guys with good speed and lots of power, while also using Davone Bess (always loved the guy) and obviously Teddy Ginn.

Camarillo makes a great slot receiver as well.

It's really hard for defenses to cover those receivers, while also containing the edge for the sweeps and stacking the box for the run inside.

We don't have power, and we have limited speed.

If we want to use our talent, then we need to find a way to get our receivers open. The first way to do that is to get creative with the running game.

We rarely run sweeps, off-tackle or anything. We run to the 1, 0, and 2 holes all the time. It's easy for defenses to key on that and shut down that run. Add in the fact that on those runs, any holes that are created are sewn up because our RB can't hit them.

We are starting to run more sweeps with Cribbs, but we also need to get Harrison involved even more. We need to properly execute on screen plays, and use Harrison and Cribbs in them more, guys that can find room to run, unlike Lewis who's a power guy.

We need to stretch Mo Mass out and use Robo to be our physical receiver.

I hate to keep referring to personnel, but it helps to have a TE that is a weapon to pull the safety off. When we still had Braylon, he was constantly covered with a safety over the top because it's too easy for a LB to cover the TE, instead of a safety, like when we had K2.

We don't have the offense to keep the defense guessing. We're too vanilla.

Ronnie Brown is fantastic at it. He's the gold standard. Again... what was the point of Miami drafting White? I could see him somewhere else, but why Miami?

I guess they weren't entirely committed to re-signing Brown. If I'm not mistaken, his YPC last year on non-WildDawg plays wasn't very impressive. And he's a 27 year old back who's already had one of his knees patched up.

Also, I think there was a lot of uncertainty if the WildDawg would continue to work without the addition of a credible passing threat.

What confuses me is how the Dolphins can think the 6'0", 190 pound White will hold up as a runner/occasional passer at this level.

Size doesn't determine toughness and qbs take harder hits standing in the pocket then they do running the ball...I am talking about qbs who know how to run...not some clod hopper be-bopping down the field.

Archived