THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL Scouts on 2010 QB's

Alo

Some really interesting stuff:

Jeff Risdon: Let’s jump right in with the quarterbacks. I know some are underclassmen, but give me your order on: Tim Tebow, Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy, and Jevan Snead.

AFC West Scout: McCoy is the easy #1 for me. I’d put Tebow next, then Snead. I’m not seeing a lot of NFL qualities out of Sam Bradford. He’s real accurate but his fastball isn’t fast, and he really struggles when you get pressure on him. He’s not going to get all that time at the next level. And you look at how his backup has done, it sort of takes off the buzz.

NFC South Scout: I like Snead because he of what he’s done in Ole Miss’ offense. The kid has made NFL throws from NFL formations. He needs some work... I would put McCoy next. I like his mobility and his awareness. I agree with (AFC West Scout, hereafter AW) about Bradford, the arm just isn’t enough. He’s got some Chad Pennington to him, but Chad was always the smartest cookie in the box. I don’t get that vibe from (Bradford). And you know, we’ve talked about the Tebow kid before. He’s a NFL fullback. I say that ‘til I’m blue in the face, but there are people I know on our staff that think he’s the best player in the next draft. It won’t be my (butt) that goes down with him. Great kid but he ain’t no NFL quarterback.

JR: Just so I’m straight, neither of you believe Sam Bradford is worth a high pick. Where would you slot him?

AW: I like him in the compensatory picks after the third round.

NS: You know he ain’t gonna last past 15 (#15 overall). Teams see that high profile QB and they can’t help themselves. Look at what Tampa did with that Freeman kid (Josh, Kansas State QB taken in the first round). That kid had 4th round written all over him and they took him, what, 20 (overall)?

JR: Does Bradford’s shoulder injury have anything to do with his falling stock?

AW: Some, yeah. He doesn’t have a rifle to begin with, so he needs to show he can make the longer throws. He’s got a lot of things that you want to see...the accuracy stands out. Maybe he’s the next Drew Brees, but I don’t see it.

JR: Oklahoma products haven’t exactly translated real well to the NFL. How much does that factor?

NS: (Bradford) ain’t no wide receiver. Those are the kids who can’t cut it.

AW: I know some people worry about that, but it doesn’t bother me.

JR: Any others that stand out worth mentioning? Maybe Dan Lefevour? Tim Hiller? Tony Pike?

NS: Pass on Lefevour. He can go back to Canada with that softball. Tough kid but he puts too much air under the ball, even on short stuff. Pike’s got a shot if his shoulder stays good. He could make a nice backup if he doesn’t blow up his shoulder throwing that three quarters crap. I haven’t seen enough of the Hiller kid to comment.

AW: You forgot Jake Locker up in Washington. He’s got some Matt Hasselbeck to him. They brought him in a real coach and he is just, wow, really taking off. Hiller is the best of those guys you brought up. Live arm, good feel for the game, nice touch. He’s got some Drew Bledsoe to him. Can’t move much but he can really sling it, and he’s got that kind of demeanor. Watch him take off after the season, after the Senior Bowl and those workouts. He could be this year’s Joe Flacco. I’m with (NS) on Lefevour, sorry Jeff, I know you like him. I know you see some Vince Young, but I see Bruce Gradkowski. It’s too bad because we’ve all seen him zip it, but the kid just doesn’t let it fly in games.

JR: How much did Locker help himself with the USC game?

AW: I’ll tell you what I took from that game. Jake Locker is a leader and a fighter. His intangibles are just through the roof. All that losing and he stayed positive and kept working his a** off.

NS: (All he has been through at Washington) has to make him look real good to a bad team. I know a guy who compares him to John Elway when he was back at Stanford and they were terrible. They want it more when they come from lesser programs, like it ain’t been easy for ‘em and they, you know, they know how to work.

via here.

They also talk about Berry & Mays; both scouts like Berry better and think Mays has some serious issues (instincts, athleticism, durability).

Is it at all possible we dont draft from this weak QB class?

Is their a better option top five which im sure we will be in for RB or Defense that is a better fit for us?

I like these guys:

(Berry's #14)

(Suh's #93)

(McCoy's #93)

This weekend's going to be huge for virtually all of the top QB prospects: Bradford vs. McCoy in the Red River Shootout, Jimmy Clausen vs. USC, Tony Pike faces a tough USF D Thursday night, and Ryan Mallett's heading to Gainesville (God help him).

I agree with Lumbergh.

The Browns won't be picking top five. Have you seen how many rotten teams there are this year? Clearly the Rams, Raiders, Buccaneers and Chiefs are worse than the Browns. Then there's the 0-5 Titans, the Jaguars, and the Lions. You can even throw in the Redskins who are a terrible 2-3.

And I am going on record right now in saying that the Browns would be CRAZY to draft a QB with their first pick next year. Bradford, McCoy, and Tebow are not future stars in the NFL.

Bradford's arm is not strong enough and he plays exclusively out of the shotgun.

Tebow is a great college player whose game won't transfer to the NFL. Too bad, too, because he's got the right kind of intangibles to succeed.

McCoy has the best shot of the 3, but when I look at him he sure as hell doesn't remind of Peyton Manning or Carson Palmer.

I'm for drafting whomever Alo tells us to draft.

Seriously, can we get this guy a job with the Browns?

I'll never understand how so-called "professionals" mess it up so often while so-called "amateurs" like Heck and Alo always have the goods.

Whatever Alo says, I agree with.

Alo if we pick top 10 and a few teams go QB, I would LOVE to have any of the 3 SOB's in those videos. Suh, Berry, McCoy in that order.

I'm actually leaning in that direction myself, but I'd very happy with either Suh or Berry. McCoy as well, but he's a little more of an iffy scheme fit.

I take it Suh can play DE in the 3-4? Is so, I'd like him. I think we're pretty strong at safety, relatively speaking. Elam and Pool are playing very well.

Corey Williams seems to be getting it. I could see him, Rogers, and Suh... but we damn sure need a better OLB opposite Wimbley, too. And a quarterback, running back, right tackle, and #1 WR.

That's pretty much it.

We're not strong at safety. Not even close. Pool has had a few good games in a row. I think he's starting to get it with this defensive coaching staff in place.

As far as Elam goes, he wouldn't have a job if it weren't for Mangini taking him in. He's serviceable at best, but shame on me if I want more. Having to watch Polly and Reed four times a year makes me that way. Those are tremendous, game-changing, defense-changing, offensive-game-plan changing safeties.

That's why Eric Berry is the man. He'll change everything we can do on defense. Have any of you seen this guy? He's flat-out ridiculous. He was clearly the best player on the field against Florida and Georgia and it wasn't even disputable.

Those other players are good, Shep, but a dynamic safety could alter our entire defense.

Why are we looking at QB when we have such a stud in DA? He is a lock for the probowl after last week. all kidding aside..

the LAST thing we need is another first round qb.. we have much bigger needs.. I would rather fill other spots and live with what we have and a veteran. We have not picked a DE in 7 years in the top 3.. HUGE need area.. on both ends.. RT is a huge need. the whole defense.. Runningback..

Indy w/o Sanders...

Look at how much bringing Dawkins in has helped Denver. Yes they brought in a lot of guys on D this year, but don't overlook Dawkins' influence at the back.

Hate to say it as well, don't take it the wrong way, but the skins D misses Taylor badly.

A bigtime safety not only can make plays on his own, but they erase a lot of mistakes made by e eryone infront of them.

If you can't tell I'm on board with the Berry/Mays idea. There isn't a QB I'd touch in the first two rounds this year and I'm not about to go burn a pick on a stud back with a 5yr life expectancy when we have no QB and right side of the line.

As for WR, we have enough there for now. I think you have a 1 and 2 in time. So maybe it's not moss and welker or moss and Carter, but they will be as productive as any duo we've had here. Yes I'm probably higher than most on those two, they're probably a pair of 2s on pass happy teams, but just cause chicks dig the deep ball, don't mean it it's the only way to score.

This kind of thread is what makes this forum enjoyable.

I wonder if Quinn is being warehoused until the team 'gels'.

Mangini's draft record indicates he's gonna go defense in this draft, hopefully there are some quality character players out there.

Top 5 maybe, top ten probaly.

Is it at all possible we dont draft from this weak QB class?

Is their a better option top five which im sure we will be in for RB or Defense that is a better fit for us?

Absolutely. I believe Mangini will definitely go defense.

Eric Berry DB Tenn.

King Kong Suh DT Nebraska

Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma

Mays of USC

There are a couple of defenders on Florida. LB Spikes, plus a DE of theirs

If the Browns draft in Top 10, hopefully one of them will be the choice.

Tennessee isnt doing much this year, but thats not due to Eric Berry or the defense. The defense is pretty solid and Eric Berry is the stud on that side of the ball. They dont have a QB that strikes fear into opposing defenses. In fact the one game that the QB actually played well was the Georgia game and Tenn dominated them.

This morning, LA Times referenced the former NFL scout who now writes for Sporting News, and he has the QBs this way:

1. Bradford

2. Pike

3. Clausen

4. McCoy

5. Tebow

2010 QB class has plenty of big names, but only Bradford may have NFL game

I thought this was really bizarre:

7. Jake Locker, Washington (junior)

Upside: He is a big-time athlete with the quickness and speed and a strong arm. If he's able to improve his footwork and mechanics, he could become a Donovan McNabb-like QB.

Downside: He is inaccurate and inconsistent, and without great improvement never will be more than an NFL backup.

Projection: He definitely should stay in school and work on his mechanics and accuracy.

If he comes out early, he'll be a fifth-round pick. He has a lot of work to do before being ready to play in the NFL.

I agree that Locker could use another year of development before heading to the NFL, but there's no way a guy with his combination of tools and intangibles slides to the 5th round.

And I'm not accepting those worn out dings on USC defenders anymore. All three USC backers are rocking pretty solid right now.

Good point Shep! Cincy has 2 USC LBers (Rivers and Rey) and those seem like 2 of the newest starters on that D aside from Odom. They're in first place all of a sudden so I think it's a little more than a coincidence.

Clay Matthews scored a TD the last time I saw him impacting things.

All I know about Cushing this year is that he's starting.

While we're at it, has anyone seen former Trojan Steve Smith playing some of the best WR in the NFL this year? He's a stud!

- Tom F.

While we're at it, has anyone seen former Trojan Steve Smith playing some of the best WR in the NFL this year? He's a stud!

Definitely a stud. I bet the folks in Carolina wish they drafted him instead of Dwayne Jarrett.

But I don't get how this has any relevance to two scouts' evaluation of Taylor Mays' game. I mean, I could understand retreating to a defense of "everyone hates us© because they're jealous" if someone here were using Jarrett's rep to bash Damian Williams. That's clearly not happening, and I'll call bs if it does.

Instead, we're talking about a guy who's a good player but may have some flaws (some of which Jason J discussed here). And the fact that we're even talking about him is a testament to the kind of publicity USC generates. If the guy played at LSU, his name would be Chad Jones and about 90% of the posters here wouldn't know who he was.

Definitely a stud. I bet the folks in Carolina wish they drafted him instead of Dwayne Jarrett.

But I don't get how this has any relevance to two scouts' evaluation of Taylor Mays' game. I mean, I could understand retreating to a defense of "everyone hates us© because they're jealous" if someone here were using Jarrett's rep to bash Damian Williams. That's clearly not happening, and I'll call bs if it does.

Instead, we're talking about a guy who's a good player but may have some flaws (some of which Jason J discussed here). And the fact that we're even talking about him is a testament to the kind of publicity USC generates. If the guy played at LSU, his name would be Chad Jones and about 90% of the posters here wouldn't know who he was.

Thanks Alo! I always wondered how Mays would do this year with all those LB's gone in front of him. I really have only seen him a couple of times this year but from what I have seen from Berry I like him better.

My top 5 would be this:

1. Suh

2. Berry

3. McCoy

4. Mays

5. McClain

I would be happy with any of these guys because I think we need to defense in the first rd.

I'd probably have Mays lower than 4th on my list. But I don't want to take on his game right now, both because there's a lot more football to play this year and because it wouldn't be fair to throw around a lot of criticism without giving Shep a chance to respond, which he can't do right now because his account has been suspended.

It's really hard to talk football when one side of the debate is shut down mid-convo.

giving Shep a chance to respond, which he can't do right now because his account has been suspended.

Oh well then, I will do that for him:

QB QB QB QB QB QB QB QB QB QB QB QB QB QB QB QB QB QB QB

:D:D:DB)B)B)

2010 QB class has plenty of big names, but only Bradford may have NFL game

I thought this was really bizarre:

I agree that Locker could use another year of development before heading to the NFL, but there's no way a guy with his combination of tools and intangibles slides to the 5th round.

NO FKING WAY he slides to the 5th....NONE!...I whole heartedly disagree with this years assessment of the QB's....especially since no one is mentioning Ryan Mallet! To me he has the package as a drop back passer. lil slow but we lived with bernie...so he is "the flash" comparatively.

McCoy and Bradford will be good pro's...Bradford is Ryan IMO. Claussen, mallett and pike....I predict this QB class will be up there as all-time...

P.S Rudolph is a sophomore

This morning, LA Times referenced the former NFL scout who now writes for Sporting News, and he has the QBs this way:

1. Bradford

2. Pike

3. Clausen

4. McCoy

5. Tebow

....and now you see why he writes for "Sporting News" instead of scouting. I don't have a problem with Bradford or Pike but Jimmy Clausen at #3 is a joke. Jimmy Clausen has a lot of good qualities but I view his deep throwing ability with some hefty skepticism. Time and again his receivers have to slow down to wait for the ball. There's no way he's better than Colt McCoy (and I'm willing to concede that McCoy may not be higher than #3 on this list).

NO FKING WAY he slides to the 5th....NONE!...I whole heartedly disagree with this years assessment of the QB's....especially since no one is mentioning Ryan Mallet! To me he has the package as a drop back passer. lil slow but we lived with bernie...so he is "the flash" comparatively.

McCoy and Bradford will be good pro's...Bradford is Ryan IMO. Claussen, mallett and pike....I predict this QB class will be up there as all-time...

P.S Rudolph is a sophomore

You guys need to back away from the Locker kool-aid because these guys are dead-on with him. He has a ton of potential, but he came into college with a run-first mentality and Sark has basically handcuffed him and told him not to run unless he has to and the results haven't been as great as you have been led to believe.

Washington is playing basically with one legit running back and he's nothing more than a run-of-the-mill freshman and while that would hurt a normal pocket passes, Locker's running ability keeps the opposition more honest than you would think. Even considering all that, Locker struggles as a pocket passer and that's what he will have to be in the NFL.

He has a career completion percentage in the low-to-mid-50's and doesn't throw well unless he is given a ton of time in the pocket. He doesn't have the quickest release at this point. He needs to stay for his senior year unless QB's stock plummet across the board and he feels like he can sneak into the first round.

With a great finish to 2009 and a great senior season, he could be a top-10 pick for sure, but as for where he currently stands, he's a 4th or 5th rounder.

Did I mention he is 6-16 as a starting QB?

Archived