THE BROWNS BOARD

Games 1-5: The numbers are in....

PlaygroundLegend

I am here to ask this board a question, a question that has been overasked, and probably over done. This question s about the Browns starting QB Derek Anderson in relation to the Browns second string QB Brady Quinn. Does Derek Anderson really move the ball better than Quinn? If so why and how? If not, why would an individual think so? I am going to delve into some simple statistics, opinions and observations to try and answer this question. My main goal is hopefully for us to come to some sort of median consensus. One way or another. Most of all we want our Browns to win, and everyone has their own opinion as to how we can get that done.

First off I would like to delve into some exaples from Dereks 2009 repitaur. First off, Derek first came in to the Baltimore game and proceeded to throw 3 interceptions and post a 30.9 QBR. Second, Derek came into Cincy and played decent. He put up 269 passing yards, 1 pick, 1 PATD, and a 69 QBR. Lastly Derek came into Buffalo and completed 2 passes for the worst QBR of his carreer.

Now when we look back on what we have seen from Derek (it seems much worse in retrospect) we cn see he hasnt really plated that stellar, not even by his standards.

The fact is, DA and BQ so far have played the exact same amount of games (2.5) and many people believe DA moved the offense better. Lets see:

Derek Anderson

l Pass Attempts:84 l Passes Completed:39 l Comp. Percentage: 46.4% l Total PA Yards: 384 l PA TD: 1 l INT: 5 l QBR: 39

Brady Quinn

l Pass Attempts:74 l Passes Completed:45 l Comp. Percentage: 60.8% l Total PA Yards: 400 l PA TD: 1 l INT:3 l QBR: 62.9

Here are some things that I would like to take from these stats and the game situations:

1. People say DA moved the ball better than Quinn, and yet Quinn threw for more yards than DA, AND more completions DESPITE the fact that the O-coordinator did not let Quinn throw the ball as many times as Derek in the same amount of time.

2. During the first 2 games our offensive line was in trouble and had a crapton of false starts, thus lading to a TON of 3rd and longs.

3. Both QB's suffered from bad WR play. Royal dropped tons of passes from both QB's, as did Edwards and other various receivers.

4. DA has had Massaquoi, Quinn never had a chance to use tha weapon, and he still threw more completions and more yards.

5. Quinn diddnt have Fraley at RG until game 3.

6. Harrison diddnt play the first 2 games.

7. Cribbs got DA better field position, than Quinn (due to the fact he was winded running routes for Quinn) and yet DA did not take advantage as the stats show.

8. Quinn diddnt have as many pass plays called, and on the plays that were called, Braylon wasnt trying (not for DA either) and Cribbs sucked as a #2

All of these things hapened and yet we still disagree. It is my belief we should never have benched Quinn, and that we should start him from here on out. What do you think? Did DA really move our team better? He had more 1st downs which is good! I really like his arm, but did it really help any since Quinn still threw for more yards and complete less passes? But then again Quinn had to deal with more 3rd and longs.

They both have been pretty freaking awful in very different ways. I'm hoping a couple of the college guys start looking like the answer.

You know... or Matt Leinart.

Matt Leinart would be real nice. What are the chances Arizona lets him go?

I've been saying this again and again... Quinn just looked scared out there. He needs to calm down, resist the urge to check down field and I'm sure he can do great. Borrow one of DA's horseballs for all I care... whatever gets the job done.

The problem is that putting Quinn back in now will be a total media shit storm. Oh, I can hear it now: "Mangini has no faith in both QBs"

I am here to ask this board a question, a question that has been overasked, and probably over done. This question s about the Browns starting QB Derek Anderson in relation to the Browns second string QB Brady Quinn. Does Derek Anderson really move the ball better than Quinn? If so why and how? If not, why would an individual think so? I am going to delve into some simple statistics, opinions and observations to try and answer this question. My main goal is hopefully for us to come to some sort of median consensus. One way or another. Most of all we want our Browns to win, and everyone has their own opinion as to how we can get that done.

First off I would like to delve into some exaples from Dereks 2009 repitaur. First off, Derek first came in to the Baltimore game and proceeded to throw 3 interceptions and post a 30.9 QBR. Second, Derek came into Cincy and played decent. He put up 269 passing yards, 1 pick, 1 PATD, and a 69 QBR. Lastly Derek came into Buffalo and completed 2 passes for the worst QBR of his carreer.

Now when we look back on what we have seen from Derek (it seems much worse in retrospect) we cn see he hasnt really plated that stellar, not even by his standards.

The fact is, DA and BQ so far have played the exact same amount of games (2.5) and many people believe DA moved the offense better. Lets see:

Derek Anderson

l Pass Attempts:84 l Passes Completed:39 l Comp. Percentage: 46.4% l Total PA Yards: 384 l PA TD: 1 l INT: 5 l QBR: 39

Brady Quinn

l Pass Attempts:74 l Passes Completed:45 l Comp. Percentage: 60.8% l Total PA Yards: 400 l PA TD: 1 l INT:3 l QBR: 62.9

Here are some things that I would like to take from these stats and the game situations:

1. People say DA moved the ball better than Quinn, and yet Quinn threw for more yards than DA, AND more completions DESPITE the fact that the O-coordinator did not let Quinn throw the ball as many times as Derek in the same amount of time.

2. During the first 2 games our offensive line was in trouble and had a crapton of false starts, thus lading to a TON of 3rd and longs.

3. Both QB's suffered from bad WR play. Royal dropped tons of passes from both QB's, as did Edwards and other various receivers.

4. DA has had Massaquoi, Quinn never had a chance to use tha weapon, and he still threw more completions and more yards.

5. Quinn diddnt have Fraley at RG until game 3.

6. Harrison diddnt play the first 2 games.

7. Cribbs got DA better field position, than Quinn (due to the fact he was winded running routes for Quinn) and yet DA did not take advantage as the stats show.

8. Quinn diddnt have as many pass plays called, and on the plays that were called, Braylon wasnt trying (not for DA either) and Cribbs sucked as a #2

All of these things hapened and yet we still disagree. It is my belief we should never have benched Quinn, and that we should start him from here on out. What do you think? Did DA really move our team better? He had more 1st downs which is good! I really like his arm, but did it really help any since Quinn still threw for more yards and complete less passes? But then again Quinn had to deal with more 3rd and longs.

Nicely done! Amazes me people on here and Mancock still have hard ons for 2 for 17 Anderception.

They've each had 2 1/2 games and neither has played very well. The pass protection and running game have improved the last 2 games but Ol' Steer Balls hasn't really taken advantage of that.

I think it makes sense to see what Quinn can do with the offense now that OL seems to be playing better.

You can bet Pittsburgh won't be making as many mistakes as Buffalo did to help the Browns win.

Im doubtful BQ will see the field again as a brown unless ole horseballs goes down and maybe not even then...i think its more to do with BQs contract vs DA already being bought and paid for the season...the browns offense is playing dreadful boring non productive football and will need a spark after the upcoming game...i hope bq is traded and ratty is ready! hehehehe

the only thing i'd say in DA's defense (don't take this as me supporting him) is that a good bit of BQ's yards and TD came against Minnesota during scrubs time. Im not gonna look up the numbers, but I remember it was something like 70 yards and a TD. That changes the rating a lot too.

The bottom line is they both just flat out stunk so far. Maybe BQ just too short of a leash, who knows. He'll probably get traded and light up the league like always haha.

i think you need to throw the stats out. They only matter if Brady is on your fantasy football team. The simple fact is that the players are a different team with DA at the helm. i can't explain it, you can't explain it, but everyone can see it. Certainly the coaches see it. Even the defense has had more hop in their step since the change. Leadership is a weird thing that can't always be measured with stats.

i think you need to throw the stats out. They only matter if Brady is on your fantasy football team. The simple fact is that the players are a different team with DA at the helm. i can't explain it, you can't explain it, but everyone can see it. Certainly the coaches see it. Even the defense has had more hop in their step since the change. Leadership is a weird thing that can't always be measured with stats.

I Agree 100%.

And you bring up drops in defense of Quinn which imho isnt true, there may have been a few drops but no 7, 8, 9 drop games, also, if you factor in those drops, Andersons stats far and away are better.

You could look at how the offense moves, the run game is opened (which i feel is due to Anderson, a lot, because of his arm), etc

Guest Masters
I Agree 100%.

And you bring up drops in defense of Quinn which imho isnt true, there may have been a few drops but no 7, 8, 9 drop games, also, if you factor in those drops, Andersons stats far and away are better.

You could look at how the offense moves, the run game is opened (which i feel is due to Anderson, a lot, because of his arm), etc

I think BUF missing all 3 of their starting LBs and their starting saftey this past week had more to do w/ the run success than DA's arm.

Did DA really move our team better?

Yes and there is no question about it.

If you think you can say with a straight face that Quinn's garbage time stats (HALF of his yds and the only TD) have any correlation to Anderson's stats in an overtime contest and a late win on the road then the joke's on you.

FYI you, like shep, will continue to be frustrated if you can't think outside of the "Passer Rating" box. Try it sometime and you will see why mangini is starting Anderson and Quinn's house is for sale.

And apparently you don't count these but Anderson also has a rushing TD

Yes and there is no question about it.

If you think you can say with a straight face that Quinn's garbage time stats (HALF of his yds and the only TD) have any correlation to Anderson's stats in an overtime contest and a late win on the road then the joke's on you.

FYI you, like shep, will continue to be frustrated if you can't think outside of the "Passer Rating" box. Try it sometime and you will see why mangini is starting Anderson and Quinn's house is for sale.

And apparently you don't count these but Anderson also has a rushing TD

again we ask you (because you have ducked this question for 3 days now): what about da's 2 of 17 on sunday?

again we ask you (because you have ducked this question for 3 days now): what about da's 2 of 17 on sunday?

My conspiracy theory is that Mangini is holding Quinn out until its impossible to reach 70% of the snaps.

:ph34r:

what about it?

For PlaygroundL keep in mind that Quinn also had two lost fumbles while Anderson has none.

And also don't forget that Quinn was sacked 10 times in 10 qtrs while Anderson has been sacked 4 times in 10 qtrs.

And most importantly Anderson has the W.

Of course none of those show up in the "Passer Rating" statistic so they may be beyond the realm of understanding for some.

Get off it Lum.

Stop comparing DA to Quinn. Only the dreamers are holding on to hope that Quinn is a savior. Just focus on the fact that DA is playing like crap. That he needs to step up his game to help the team. That if he doesn't, we'll be seeing what Ratliff can do in a few games.

what about it?

For PlaygroundL keep in mind that Quinn also had two lost fumbles while Anderson has none.

And also don't forget that Quinn was sacked 10 times in 10 qtrs while Anderson has been sacked 4 times in 10 qtrs.

And most importantly Anderson has the W.

Of course none of those show up in the "Passer Rating" statistic so they may be beyond the realm of understanding for some.

yeah i don't give a crap about quinn's stats. i want to know why derek "greatest qb ever" has the worst game the nfl has seen in year. please try to make one post without bringing up quinn this time. i honestly just want to know how you can still defend da after this game.

what about it?

It was pretty pathetic, and the fact you cannot simply admit his play is below even his standard is very telling about you. Always has been. You pussy foot around these stats as if we need to compare them to the other 15 idiots we've had at QB.

Ok Lumnuts, you win. DA is the best piece of shit of all the piece of shits we've had since 1999.

i honestly just want to know how you can still defend da after this game.

1) the Browns won.

2) Anderson executed the game plan that the coaches put together. (70% running plays)

3) He was only asked to pass on 3rd down.

4) The receivers dropped as many as 9 passes (as reported by multiple sources including the Plain Dealer and CBS Sports)

5) He did not make any game changing mistakes (even the pick was 40 yds downfield and functioned as a punt)

And as far as the "Passer Rating" statistic you seem to be so hung up on....the W, the run-oriented game plan, the lack of any big mistakes, and the drops are enough for the coach (and the rest of us without a BQ agenda) to be satisfied with the results.

1) the Browns won.

2) Anderson executed the game plan that the coaches put together. (70% running plays)

3) He was only asked to pass on 3rd down.

4) The receivers dropped as many as 9 passes (as reported by multiple sources including the Plain Dealer and CBS Sports)

5) He did not make any game changing mistakes (even the pick was 40 yds downfield and functioned as a punt)

And as far as the "Passer Rating" statistic you seem to be so hung up on....the W, the run-oriented game plan, the lack of any big mistakes, and the drops are enough for the coach (and the rest of us without a BQ agenda) to be satisfied with the results.

thank you for your oppinion- seriously.

but why is it when quinn did this same thing at buffalo last year you were saying that da could have done much better and it wouldn't have been close if he had played? didnt quinn do exactly what the coaches asked of him then? didn't quinn do exactly what was asked for him against denver last year; a loss that wasn't his fault?

thank you for your oppinion- seriously.

but why is it when quinn did this same thing at buffalo last year you were saying that da could have done much better and it wouldn't have been close if he had played? didnt quinn do exactly what the coaches asked of him then? didn't quinn do exactly what was asked for him against denver last year; a loss that wasn't his fault?

Don't try to use logic now.... this is Lum.

Guest Masters
The main point of this post btw was to point out that Quinn had alot more stacked against him those first 2 games and yet he STILL statistically outperformed DA

It was a good point and wasn't lost on all.

Archived