THE BROWNS BOARD

PFT is reporting that Brady Quinn's house is for sale

pl4tinum

I think the Rams are a good choice along with San Francisco and Tampa (although I read a lot of good reviews about the QB from Tampa).

Miami would've been a choice until the tremendous performance put on by Henne last night.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the signs are pretty clear. Quinn didn't really ever look good, but still... what the hell? He knew what Anderson had, so making a final judgment on Quinn after being his coach for 2.5 games is... breathtakingly arrogant, at best. This man had better be convinced that Ratliff is the second coming if this trade goes down, ESPECIALLY if it's a 3rd and a 5th.

And setting Quinn up to fail... perhaps I'm simply an optimist, but that, too, is mind-boggling. If you were setting him up to fail, why even bother going through the motion just to reduce his trade value? And yet, the playcalling indicates that he didn't want him to succeed... or that Daboll's just a tool.

I can't follow Mangini's reasoning. If Quinn's failure was simply on himself, how could he conclude that definitively after coaching him for 2.5 games, and why did Daboll's playcalling change so much in the Baltimore game?

If Daboll was at fault, why is he still in town? After all, it took Mangini less time to determine that Quinn was a bust.

If he did set him up for failure, why bother playing him? Lums could have told you that if you set someone up to fail, his draft stock will go down. We could have gotten a first for him in the offseason. Why intentionally sabotage his trade value?

I'm not the most intelligent man to grace the Earth: note this carefully. Nevertheless, if someone-anyone-could determine any clear motives for this, I would love to hear them, as they elude me. Either we have a shrewd politician who values his job above all else or we have someone with a limited capacity for rational thought.

The mind, it boggles.

I'm not the most intelligent man to grace the Earth: note this carefully. Nevertheless, if someone-anyone-could determine any clear motives for this, I would love to hear them, as they elude me. Either we have a shrewd politician who values his job above all else or we have someone with a limited capacity for rational thought.

The mind, it boggles.

I will try. My guess (and mind you, it's based on a headache-inducing-lattice-of-logic) is that perhaps it went something like this:

Lerner: Coach, the previous GM drafted Quinn who is very popular. Can we win with him?

Coach: Al, I don't really trust either QB but I see more in DA that I like than Quinn.

Lerner: Coach, this is a local kid. Can we at least give him a shot? The fans love him. He's a poster boy. It's a PR bonanza if we can win with him.

Coach: I don't know Al; He doesn't seem to (insert skill here) well. I don't see him as your QB of the future

Lerner: Coach, give him a chance. If it doesn't work then it doesn't work and we move on (i.e., he gets to play in real action...that's a condition)

Then, you see Mangini go through the "process" (which I believe Quinn legitimately showed more).

Regular season starts and Lerner sees what Mangini sees and agrees that keeping both QBs will only make the season more difficult and his wallet lighter.

That's a guess. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

It will give me mixed feelings if BQ is traded.

+ I will be happy cos this will finally end the controversy. We all will now have to get behind DA - All the players will have to get in synch with just one guy and that makes life easier for the players and the OC. DA can also concentrate on just playing well without worrying about being yanked.

- I will feel sad cos we do not know what we have with this guy, He was one of the few guys who wanted to play for this team and was giving it his best. If he succeeds we will land up looking worse than the three stooges. Also if DA were to get injured then the one backup we have is still unprepared !

Anyways - what has to happen will happen !

If DA continues to suck to high heaven...people will be screaming for Ratliff. I've said it many times: I think Mangini wants Ratliff as the starter. Remove Quinn entirely from the picture, and it's easy to give Ratliff the starting job.

That's really underhanded, and says a lot about this coach.

We'll see in the next couple of weeks.

Yeah, the signs are pretty clear. Quinn didn't really ever look good, but still... what the hell? He knew what Anderson had, so making a final judgment on Quinn after being his coach for 2.5 games is... breathtakingly arrogant, at best. This man had better be convinced that Ratliff is the second coming if this trade goes down, ESPECIALLY if it's a 3rd and a 5th.

Apply Ockham's Razor (sp?) here. Conspiracy theories are fun, but most likely:

1) He didn't like Quinn as the starter - maybe he didn't suit the offense, maybe he just doesn't like HIM.

2) He didn't have a choice once Quinn outplayed DA in the preseason BUT to start him

3) He believes his judgement is correct, but had to verify it. Arrogant or confidence to arrive at that conclusion 2.5 games into the season (especially given the state of the team overall), but there you go.

I don't believe it, but it is the simplest explanation.

Hmm, well maybe it is just a speculative move on his part.

Reports: Brady Quinn puts Avon home up for sale

By Tony Grossi

October 13, 2009, 11:29PM

Tracy Boulian/PDBrady Quinn is reportedly deciding whether to ask the Browns for a trade.

Shaw: Browns shouldn't rush into dealCLEVELAND, Ohio -- Brady Quinn's home in Avon Lake was listed for sale on Tuesday, according to multiple reports.

The deposed Browns quarterback feels his time with the team is nearing an end. Since being replaced by Derek Anderson, Quinn has been at odds with coach Eric Mangini and offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, said a source.

Quinn's practice reps have dried up and he has challenged Mangini about his demotion after 2 1/2 games as the Browns' starting quarterback.

Quinn is missing out on about $11 million in salary escalators in his contract by not being on the field for 70 percent of the snaps this season. His is signed through 2011.

The source said that Quinn was weighing whether to formally ask the team to trade him. Some in the league believe the Browns will not pull the trigger on a trade because Quinn's value has plummeted.

The NFL trading deadline is Oct. 20.

If DA continues to suck to high heaven...people will be screaming for Ratliff. I've said it many times: I think Mangini wants Ratliff as the starter. Remove Quinn entirely from the picture, and it's easy to give Ratliff the starting job.

That's really underhanded, and says a lot about this coach.

We'll see in the next couple of weeks.

Ya, and if Ratliff blows, Mangini just punched his ticket out of town.

I'm not big on players "challenging" the coach cause I think you have to do what you're told, however in Quinns case I think he has an absolutely valid argument.

This kid sat and waited....and waited....and waited.....the whole time working his ass off, doing the right thing, saying the right things, being a good teammate. Then after 2.5 games he gets pulled. Now that's not even the biggest rub. The biggest rub is how differently they approached the offense once Anderson went in. He had different weapons, and different playcalling. And I'm sure Quinn overheard Mangini or Daboll telling Anderson he could do things that Quinn was told was off limits. Is that last sentence speculation on my part? Yeah, but the fact that Quinn has had enough and is now starting to let this leak out into the media tells a lot of the story. He's been treated like absolute shit since day one, and even then kept his mouth shut and did what was right.

I don't blame Quinn for wanting a trade, and unless they plan to put him back in the starters role they should grant him a trade.

Effectively, Mangini is telling Quinn- "Son, you ain't even a practice squad QB in this league. I really don't think you're better than (statistically) the worst starter in the NFL. I'm sticking with DA even though guys with better QB stats are getting benched, and commentators on ESPN and the National Networks are laughing at Anderson, he's so damn inept." EM had damn well better be right!

PS Jets fans are saying Mangini is a dork- this could be exhibit 1B, Braylon being exhibit 1A.

Ya, and if Ratliff blows, Mangini just punched his ticket out of town.

How do you know that?

Here is a hint: Quinn's mechanics sucks, they always have sucked, they always will suck. This is something you can't teach. The guy has no faith in his ability and it shows.

Keep on believing. Fantasy can be a hard thing to stop trying at.

How do you know that?

Here is a hint: Quinn's mechanics sucks, they always have sucked, they always will suck. This is something you can't teach. The guy has no faith in his ability and it shows.

Make sure you let the 2 1/2 games from the 2009 NFL football season seal the fate of someones life for yah. You're def. a dumbasss

Keep in mind that EVERYBODY saw him as a Top 10 type of player out of college, including Kiper and company.

Not everybody...The Sporting News had him rated a 3rd round talent.

We had this discussion last year or the year before....maybe not you and I but it was a topic...I posted TSN rating via link...I am sure a few will remember.

This link isn't to the article or rating, but it does support what i am saying.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/gbp_rugby...ClevelandBrowns

It actually makes for a good read. Some of the comments seem spot on.

Everybody here who supported Quinn said he won the very fair QB competition, including me. Now you're making excuses as to why he was set up to fail by the very coach who awarded him the job? The worst rated QB in the NFL gives this team more of a chance to win, yet that is everyones fault but the actual player who got benched. Amazing. Not too many thoeries dumber than that.

1st ,3rd or 6th pick it doesnt really matter...bq has been treated unfairly by this club and unlike anything i have ever seen has not been given a chance to show what he has(if anything)..its almost as if he was setup to fail to make an excuse for a fire sale...

Fact is it really doesnt matter who is under center the poison fan kool-aid and the illusion that this club is improving with DA under center will be shattered over the next 4 tuff games and then likely over the next few years as the team is rebuilt yet again only this time in mangini's fat failing image...;)

Everybody here who supported Quinn said he won the very fair QB competition, including me. Now you're making excuses as to why he was set up to fail by the very coach who awarded him the job? The worst rated QB in the NFL gives this team more of a chance to win, yet that is everyones fault but the actual player who got benched. Amazing. Not too many thoeries dumber than that.

I dont think anyone is/was worried with the competition and preseason Vegas. I think the people who have concerns if pulling Quinn was the right decision (based on what we saw in the entire game - not just Quinn's stats/play) are basing those concerns off of the 2.5 games he played.

I personally have never seen NFL games called so poorly in my entire life. And being in Virginia, I've seen a lot of Joe Gibbs v 2.0 football.

Are we to believe Braylon was only dogging it when Anderson was on the field? Cant have that theory both ways you know... Cribbs isnt a legit #2 WR only when Anderson plays? Nope. Robert Royal ? Please. Zero Mike Furrey? Robo cleaning the bleachers after games? MoMass tossed in on a situational basis? Turnstile right side of OL? Every single one of these "excuses" has been addressed and improved. After Quinn was benched. Which is really odd.

Quinn's performance sucked out loud. Derek's has continued to break the sound barrier for going on 2 seasons now. Can't say there is a c-o-n-spiracy, but if the plan was to eventually move Quinn, he was way more valuable in April than he is now. And that decision certainly did not require the 1st 2 and a half games (if you can call them that). Mangini gets an F for the management of this situation. While many are ready to paint the gameball Mangini got from the team last week with various shades of lipstick, he's got a lot of improvement to make, before I get "back on board." Not losing isn't going to cut it for me. I want to see a win, if you're going to be the "my way or highway" type of coach.

none of this would be an issue if DA came in and outplayed BQ. so far DA has played worse than quinn against far worse teams, and we've seen no signs of him being benched. BQ was 6-8 and got benched. DA just went 2-17 in an entire game, and they didn't even have Quinn warming up on the sidelines. Thats kinda telling.

that is why you are getting people with conspiracy theories.

How do you know that?

WTH are you posting in response to. That quote had NOTHING to do with Quinn.

If Quinn's practice reps have dried up, yeah. I'd want out to. If you aren't getting any practice reps how are you supposed to improve?

If true, I'd be making a big xxxxing stink to be traded.

I wonder if it comes down to he said/she said - do the coaches believe Quinn or the rat?

I don't think anyone is blaming him. I would do the same thing. Good luck Brady.

Archived