THE BROWNS BOARD

PFT is reporting that Brady Quinn's house is for sale

pl4tinum

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the book on him is REALLY mixed around the league, from what I'm reading. Some think he'll be a career backup, an A.J. Feeley type of player... but others haven't lost faith that he's a big-time quarterback, believing that he got epically hosed in Cleveland. Keep in mind that EVERYBODY saw him as a Top 10 type of player out of college, including Kiper and company.

As King said, did he really just suddenly wake up and suck this year, after a nice debut last year and a good preseason this year? How come?

He had a good debut last year because Denver had a crappy game plan against him. They figured out by the 4th quarter that he won't go deep, he's captain checkdown. They were still rspecting the deep ball before that. Notice after the third quarter of the Denver game his stats took a nosedive?

Captain Checkdown.

It is actually lame. Why would a coach put his job on the line just to save money for the team ? Also Robiskie did not play in the Cincy game. Mangini is not here to play punkd. He is trying to do things his own way without caring for anyone and he will continue to do so until Lerner has had enough.

I know. Why would a coach care if a player gets performance bonuses if he gives his team the best chance to win? They would not. I'm not buying the conspiracy theory, but I will buy that Quinn simply doesn't have what it takes. It's amazing that people will concoct conspiracy theories before they believe Quinn just isn't that good.

Guest Masters
Not losing isn't going to cut it for me. I want to see a win, if you're going to be the "my way or highway" type of coach.

That is exactly how I feel, and especially about the BUF game. CLE didn't win, they just didn't lose.

Everybody here who supported Quinn said he won the very fair QB competition, including me. Now you're making excuses as to why he was set up to fail by the very coach who awarded him the job? The worst rated QB in the NFL gives this team more of a chance to win, yet that is everyones fault but the actual player who got benched. Amazing. Not too many thoeries dumber than that.

And what is this difference in playcalling everyone keeps talking about?

Could it be tha tQuinn just didn't execute? Captain Checkdown?

And what is this difference in playcalling everyone keeps talking about?

Could it be tha tQuinn just didn't execute? Captain Checkdown?

Do you mean the same playcalling that the people who want DA to play are complaining about?

I observed how plain our playcalling was this week. I thought it was Quinn that was holding the playbook back. The playbook changed (because Anderson can't throw short passes at all), but it still sucks.

Seems like that is an indictment that neither of these guys are worth a damn.

Do you mean the same playcalling that the people who want DA to play are complaining about?

I observed how plain our playcalling was this week. I thought it was Quinn that was holding the playbook back. The playbook changed (because Anderson can't throw short passes at all), but it still sucks.

Seems like that is an indictment that neither of these guys are worth a damn.

I think its more of an indictment that Daboll is not worth a damn.

Brady's house aint shit to LeBrons haha. I live on the same street as LeBron.

and it looks like its too recent for google maps.

I think Brady has made less than $8 million so far, Lebron is probably getting close to $1 billion.

Go figure on that house huh?

some people...

I can so totally see Quinn debuting in Carolina in 3-4 weeks with a really good game... and the puking.

I wouldn't puke, it would just be another lump in the pile of shit that is bad cleveland decisions.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...mangini_14.html

Cleveland Browns' Eric Mangini: 'We're not looking to move Brady Quinn'

By Plain Dealer staff

October 14, 2009, 10:41AM

Updated at 11:55 a.m. with Brady Quinn quotes

By Mary Kay Cabot and Tony Grossi,

The Plain Dealer

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns quarterback Brady Quinn said this morning that he has not asked to be traded and coach Eric Mangini said during his press conference, "We're not looking to move Brady Quinn.''

Quinn was asked if he would request a trade.

"No, that's not my nature to do something like that. I have a contract with the Browns and I intend to play that out."

When asked if he would welcome a trade, Quinn said: "It's tough to put out a hypothetical like that. At this point in time, obviously, I want to play. I think I'm good enough to play in the league. I'm here right now to do the best I can for this team."

The questions about Quinn's status were prompted by growing speculation that Quinn would like to go somewhere where he can start. The trading deadline is next Tuesday at 4 p.m. Quinn's house was put up for sale on Tuesday, fueling speculation that he might be on the move.

Managini said he's talked to Quinn and "He's focused on Pittsburgh." Mangini also said, "We get calls all the time that we listen to, but Brady is a Cleveland Brown and it's not anything we're looking to do.''

Quinn stands to lose $11 million this season if he doesn't start and finish about 11 games. He's played 2 1/2 games this season, and Mangini has expressed his commitment to Derek Anderson, at least for the time being.

Quinn shrugged off theories that putting his house up for sale indicated he was anticipating a trade.

"No, that indicates a house is for sale," Quinn said. "I appreciate the free advertising. It doesn't have anything to do with what we're here for -- prepare for Pittsburgh.

"I'm a guy who doesn't want to continue to drive 30 minutes to the facility every day (from Avon Lake). I'm a bachelor who lives in a house that has maybe too much upkeep. There's other reasons (to sell it). I'm trying to downsize."

© 2009 cleveland.com. All rights reserved.

They would never come out and say it, but I wouldn't be shocked if they actually saw quinn as the better qb, but only incrementally so, and were benching him for contract/salary cap purposes. i'm not sure how communicative mangini is with his players, but i feel like just ignoring that as your motivation in talks with the player could create tension and ill will. if that's the case i'd be upfront enough to say look, we think there's a chance you might work out here, but since we havent seen enough for us to be sure of that, we can't play you 70% of the time this year. that incentive was built into the deal so that you'd be fairly rewarded if you turned out to be THE guy, which you haven't, yet. you might, and if you do, we'll revisit the contract terms, do an extension, whatever your play warrants. no hard feelings, but this is our right from a business perspective, and the reason that the escalator terms are put into the deal in the first place, from the team's point of view.

They would never come out and say it, but I wouldn't be shocked if they actually saw quinn as the better qb, but only incrementally so, and were benching him for contract/salary cap purposes. i'm not sure how communicative mangini is with his players, but i feel like just ignoring that as your motivation in talks with the player could create tension and ill will. if that's the case i'd be upfront enough to say look, we think there's a chance you might work out here, but since we havent seen enough for us to be sure of that, we can't play you 70% of the time this year. that incentive was built into the deal so that you'd be fairly rewarded if you turned out to be THE guy, which you haven't, yet. you might, and if you do, we'll revisit the contract terms, do an extension, whatever your play warrants. no hard feelings, but this is our right from a business perspective, and the reason that the escalator terms are put into the deal in the first place, from the team's point of view.

bingo

Exactly.

Sorry no way. If I was Quinn THAT would piss me off more than thinking you didn't give me a fair shot.

You're benching me because you don't want me to make more money?

"Football is a business"

Guest Masters
For BOTH SIDES. so while I can actually agree with a theory that says mangini is keeping Quinn on the bench so that he doesn't reach that escalator, but might actually then later try to develop him for the future. If ANYONE thinks it would be a good idea for him to actually TELL QUINN that is what he is doing, they are crazy.

As much as Lums thinks saying it's all about the money for Quinn as if it's some kind of slam. It's reality. Every player plays this game for the most money they can wring out of an owner. And if another owner offered them more, for the most part they take it.

SO telling a player, "hey we think you might be good, but we don't want to let you prove it till the part of your contract that allows you to make more money expires" would just be the dumbest thing ever.

I fully agree with you. I'd add that no coach or organization is going to sacrifice the development of a QB, that they actually believe will develop, for the sake of saving a few million. The money saved does not out way the upside for your team.

All this conspiricy stuff and you'd think Oliver Stone was covering the Browns.

I think it is as simple as this, EM does not believe Quinn is the QB for this team going forward, which is the reason he's on the bench.

For BOTH SIDES. so while I can actually agree with a theory that says mangini is keeping Quinn on the bench so that he doesn't reach that escalator, but might actually then later try to develop him for the future. If ANYONE thinks it would be a good idea for him to actually TELL QUINN that is what he is doing, they are crazy.

As much as Lums thinks saying it's all about the money for Quinn as if it's some kind of slam. It's reality. Every player plays this game for the most money they can wring out of an owner. And if another owner offered them more, for the most part they take it.

SO telling a player, "hey we think you might be good, but we don't want to let you prove it till the part of your contract that allows you to make more money expires" would just be the dumbest thing ever.

I agree it is pretty dumb. But I think mangini's reasoning is that we weren't really going to compete this year anyway, so save all the money we can.

I'm guessing that Quinn will get a 2nd audition after the escalator is unattainable. If he passes the audition, he gets a new contract. If he fails, they keep him as a cheap backup / trade him / release him.

What do you think?

Guest Masters
Well I could still concieve of a situation where Mangini believes Quinn has a higher ceiling than DA, but that with the talent on this team (the lack there of actually) and the expectations that Quinn was under, he felt it better to put him back on the bench and continue to work on his development there. While trying to win one or two more games with DA at the helm this year.

again I probably more agree with your statement than what I just wrote. BUt I can at least fathom what I wrote over some "it's the money" conspiracy.

I can fathom what you just wrote. Just don't think it is likely.

again: why would a coach care if a player meets certain escalators in his contract? He wouldn't. Especially if he thought the player was any good. The escalators are already accounted for in the salary cap.

If Mangini really valued Quinn, he would be playing him, wanting him to get experience.

Watching STO last night and they were saying dont expect Quinn or Anderson to be here next season, and that Mangini more than likely wont draft a QB in the first round he will be looking for a veteran through FA or a trade.

It sounds like Mangini.

It'll be interesting to see if they reinsert Quinn after he can no longer mathematically reach his escalators. I think it's a possibly, provided they don't trade him before the deadline.

Quinn's house for sale, but Browns deny tradeAssociated Press

add this RSS email print

Updated: October 14, 2009, 12:34 PM EDT 72 comments

BEREA, Ohio (AP) - Browns coach Eric Mangini said he's not trying to trade quarterback Brady Quinn, who lost his starting job after just 10 quarters this season.

With the Oct. 20 trade deadline approaching, there has been mounting speculation the Browns will deal Quinn, a former first-round pick who began the season as Cleveland's starter. But Quinn struggled in losses to Minnesota and Denver and Mangini benched him for Derek Anderson.

"We're not looking to move Brady Quinn," Mangini said Wednesday. "Brady is a Cleveland Brown and that's not anything we're looking to do."

Mangini says he has a good relationship with Quinn as does offensive coordinator Brian Daboll.

Quinn has put his suburban home up for sale, fueling talk that he wants out of Cleveland. But the former Notre Dame star said his intentions to sell have nothing to do with his status on the team or unhappiness with the Browns.

"It indicates a house is for sale," Quinn said, joking that he appreciated the free publicity in a tough housing market.

Quinn, who is not married, said he's looking to downsize from his five-bedroom property and shorten his commute to the team's training facility.

Quinn said he has not asked the Browns to trade him, and that's something he would never demand.

"I want to play," he said. "I think I'm good enough to play in this league. But I'm here right now to do the best I can for this team."

Quinn stands to lose $11 million in contract incentives this season if he doesn't play in 70 percent of the offensive snaps.

Archived