THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini vs. McDaniels

Guest Masters

Guest Masters

So I saw a post and it made me think about this. Both guys are BB pupils, for lack of a better term

When McDaniels was offered a HC job, BB encouraged him, wished him luck, and had nothing but kind words for him.

When Mangini was offered a HC, BB frowned on it, gave EM the silent treatment, offered no kind words or encouragement.

It makes me wonder why BB gave different treatment to his two pupils when they had got their chances to be the boss.

There is also that dude that became the GM in ATL, and he got love from BB and Pioli.

So I saw a post and it made me think about this. Both guys are BB pupils, for lack of a better term

When McDaniels was offered a HC job, BB encouraged him, wished him luck, and had nothing but kind words for him.

When Mangini was offered a HC, BB frowned on it, gave EM the silent treatment, offered no kind words or encouragement.

It makes me wonder why BB gave different treatment to his two pupils when they had got their chances to be the boss.

There is also that dude that became the GM in ATL, and he got love from BB and Pioli.

Well, did this happen when EM was still with BB in new england? Or are you talking about recently?

I think spygate might have something to do with it if you're referring to recently.

Guest Masters
Well, did this happen when EM was still with BB in new england? Or are you talking about recently?

I think spygate might have something to do with it if you're referring to recently.

I am talking when EM got offered his first gig w/ the Jets. But even since then there has been no reconciliation.

Rembering back Belichick just lost Crennel and Weis and asked Mangini to stay a year as DC. Instead Mangini took the job as HC of NE's rival in the AFC East. There was no love lost displayed after he supposedly left his mentor hanging.

spygate has alot to do with it, as does going to new york

I agree, it would be like mangini not being pissed at daboll if he was offered the cincy HC job or whatever.

I agree, it would be like mangini not being pissed at daboll if he was offered the cincy HC job or whatever.

Oh GOD! That would be HORRIBLE!

For Cincy that is.....

Daboll should never have been hired, we shouldve hired a legitimate OC, but wait, Mangini couldnt make him his bitch then...

Mangini is a control freak, an he has to control every single aspect of this team, Mangini being a defensive guy, I really wonder how much control Rob Ryan has

BTW Rob seems alot more intelligent than Rex, by the way they speak that is

Guest Masters

Maybe it is as simple as just it being the Jets he chose (ill will started before spygate), but I find it very interesting that BB has been far more supportive of Josh.

I know BB really didn't want to lose another DC after just losing one the year before, but it's not like he hasn't been able to keep plugging in guys.

Guest Masters
I rally can't recall, and I'm too lazy to research, but didn't Belichick have a history with the Jets? If so, I could see that being why.

I think an assistant going to a division rival was also a slap in the face for him.

He was the HC of the Jets for like a day, then quit the job.

SI McDaniels article

"I had been talking to Bill for a few years about being a head coach, and after I didn't do any interviews during the bye week in the '07 playoffs he said, 'I will help you in any way I can to get you ready for all the other things that go into the job,'" McDaniels said. "Just being around him every day was going to help me from a football standpoint because I could see what he did and how he did it. But he was saying he would help me with some of the things that you won't really get a chance to witness or understand or become knowledgeable about until you're in that position.

I think I saw this article on here, possibly in the same thread the post you mentioned came from. I think what it breaks down to is McDaniels left with Bill's permission, while Mangini left on his own terms without waiting for Belicheck's "permission". Arguments could be made for either approach being the "right" way to leave the Patriots organization, but I am sure in Bill's mind McDaniels took the "correct" course. Not positive if that is the answer to the question you asked, but take it for what it is worth.

Edited addition: Of course the things that came after, division rival, spygate, only exacerbated the situation, but I think this may be the original source of the friction.

There were reports that Mangini tried to recruit coaches and players to follow him to New York while he was still an employee of the Pats. Belichick didn't appreciate Mangini trying to poach from his talent pool, especially when he was moving to a division rival.

But even with McDaniels, there were reports that the Patriots were upset that he signed Jabar Gaffney away from them. The relationship between Bill and Baby Hoodie didn't fall apart for all the reasons that have already been mentioned.

I'm guessing the biggest thing was WHERE these head coaching opportunities took place. Seems to me, there was a pretty good level of trust that BB bestowed upon Mangini in NE. Inspite of what the media NOW wants us to think of Mangini - BB loved his work ethic, innovation and smarts. ESPN did an article about 2-3 months ago and I found it interesting that BB kept describing how much Josh McDaniel's intelligence and work ethic paralleled that of Mangini. In fact, they were both young quiet types too before they passed countless BB tests like breaking down film of every play from various opponents to doing assigned projects they would later have to present to the coachign staff.

Here's where the dram starts IMO: Mangini went to a division rival of NE so I'm sure BB was thinking: "You're gonna take everything I taught you and use it against me?" Remaining best of buddies would have been a conflict of interest for both parties. Then there was spygate to reinforce the end of their friendship.

As for Josh McDaniels, Tom Brady was already molded to the way BB needed him long before JM left for another division.

CLEANING out Divas and changing the losing atmosphere takes a person with thick skin that has been tested elsewhere. I LIKE alot of the personel moves this team has made since Mankok arrived. We have to remember that THIS Cleveland franchise since 1999 is NO LONGER seen around the country as a GREAT place to come and coach. I seem to remember hearing that BB, Palmer and Davis were receiving threatening phone calls from fans at all hours of the night. I'm already seeing how excited some media types are to portray Mangini as a jerk before we even made it to the first game. Then the SAME columnists will outwardly ponder why many good Head Coaching candidates will have zero interest in coming here. I wish they'd stop doing this with the understanding it takes time.

Wanna bet the NEXT thing the media will try to do is pretend they ALWAYS loved Braylon Edwards if he turns his inconsistencies around? What's so bad about us getting 2 draft picks, 1 promising young WR and a solid STer for an unhappy WR that wasn't catching close 50% of the passes thrown to him? Mangini didn't draft our QBs throwing the rock, he inherited them with only 3 or 4 draft picks heading into the 2009 draft. That's not walking into Eutopia folks.

- Tom F.

Archived