THE BROWNS BOARD

A Great Browns Call To NFL Radio

Earl34

I listen regularly to "Moving the Chains" on NFL Radio which is hosted by former Chicago Bear Tim Ryan and former Jets/Tampa coach, scout and GM Pat Kirwan and there is a semi regular caller from Cleveland named "Toddy-O" (?sp). A very knowledgable dude. He called in and they discussed Wimbley and his seeming return to his rookie form.

The comments were about him developing a better secondary move to the inside and the fact that the scheme of putting Rogers on the 4i technique helps him because the tackle can't help the guard and block Wimbley. They're moving him around more.

Then, in an unsolicited comment, PK said:

"Could that possibly be COACHING?!?! We (the media) sit here and bash Eric Mangini every chance we get but we need to acknowledge that there is some GOOD COACHING going on in that building!" (the points of emphasis are his, not mine).

Tim agreed.

They moved on to discuss the fact that they didn't stick with Harrison after his week last week and they commented that we may be moving towards a "thunder and lightning" type of package with both guys or the idea that they'll maximize the shift from one to the other once both are healthy.

I don't know if Toddy reads this board but he's always been one of those callers who understands the game well enough to make his call substantive and worthwhile. Thanks.

Joe Thomas is on next hour....

Guest CardDawg

Thanks, man. Good stuff. I've seen a lot of nice adjustments with both of our lines this season ... actually with just about everything with our team. Cleveland Fans and radio can be just so negative though.

Keep us posted on Joe T's interview.

That is good post, Although it's embarassing that Crennell couldnt do such a simple thing?!?

OUr D is substantionally better then that abomination that was out there last year.. Tackling still has been iffy, but guys have been in positions to make plays (Early season too,until they are gassed out in the 4th), and there is noticiable improvement across the line, especially with Corey Williams and Robaire.

Rob Ryan has been good IMO

That is good post, Although it's embarassing that Crennell couldnt do such a simple thing?!?

OUr D is substantionally better then that abomination that was out there last year.. Tackling still has been iffy, but guys have been in positions to make plays (Early season too,until they are gassed out in the 4th), and there is noticiable improvement across the line, especially with Corey Williams and Robaire.

Re: Rob Ryan...let's not forget that in Oakland you basically play bump-and-run-cover-2 all day long and that the playbook has dust on it from forty years ago. Rob Ryan was frustrated as hell out there.

Disagree on Williams. He doesn't play much or contribute much for the pick/money given up. He just struggles to play in space.

Notice Wimbley's pressure numbers aren't overly better than last year. Pretty much tells me is isn't any better, but they are lining him up better to get the "coverage" sack much more than in the past. I am not seeing overly any new moves, nor do his pressure numbers tell us he is better player physically. Yeah it is coaching, but not by player.

Disagree on Williams. He doesn't play much or contribute much for the pick/money given up. He just struggles to play in space.

Notice Wimbley's pressure numbers aren't overly better than last year. Pretty much tells me is isn't any better, but they are lining him up better to get the "coverage" sack much more than in the past. I am not seeing overly any new moves, nor do his pressure numbers tell us he is better player physically. Yeah it is coaching, but not by player.

Actually Tim Ryan commented on how he's specifically changed, developing some new secondary move but it was a bit of football lingo I didn't quite catch. (shrug)....I guess I'll take his word for it.

Archived