THE BROWNS BOARD

Prospects to Watch

Alo

Tonight's game on ESPN (7:30 ET) is a good one to watch if you're interested in QB's and early round defensive prospects.

Here are some guys I'll be focusing on:

Cincinnati:

• -
Tony Pike QB #15

• A late-blooming prospect, Pike didn't play quarterback until his junior year of high school. And like most raw, inexperienced QB's, he's struggled when matched up against top-notch defenses. He finished off last season with a clusterf*cked FedEx Bowl, in which Virginia Tech's defense picked him off four times.

However, he's shown a lot more poise this season, and tonight's matchup against USF's opportunistic defense will be a major test for him. If he has a big game, he could easily move into 1st round consideration. If he flops, he falls back down to the developmental QB category.

One thing to watch for: Pike doesn't always throw a tight ball. Hopefully, he'll spin it a little better tonight.

- Mardy Gilyard WR #1

• Pike's favorite target, Gilyard is a dynamic big play receiver and punt returner. Though he's not particularly big (6'0", 187 lbs.) and isn't a real burner (estimated 4.51 40 time), Gilyard shows impressive body control making moves in the open field or adjusting to an errant throw.

However, I'm a little concerned about his hands: I don't think they're strong enough to bring in a tough catch with contact or break a jam at the line of scrimmage. For that reason, he may be limited to working as a slot receiver at the next level.

South Florida

• -
George Selvie DE #95

• Selvie broke onto the scene as a redshirt sophomore in '07, notching 14.5 sacks and creating a ton of draft buzz. But injuries hampered his production in '08, and many began to question whether the one trick pony truly possessed elite NFL tools.

Though primarily a speed rusher, Selvie isn't a special athlete, to the point that many consider him a tough projection to 3-4 OLB. His defenders will say that he's the next Terrell Suggs; his critics will say he's a less athletic version of Kam Wimbley (and they mean the bad Wimbley).

- Nate Allen S #5

• Allen nearly declared for last year's draft, but his decision to stay was a good one. The game seems have slowed down for him; he isn't out of position as much and is becoming a playmaker, picking off Greg Paulus twice in the Syracuse game.

The senior safety possesses decent size (6'2", 205 lbs.) and very good toughness. One concern I do have is that he doesn't change directions particularly well. His stiff hips could affect his ability to cover receivers and athletic TE's; I bet the coaches and scouts at the Senior Bowl will be keying on that aspect of his game.

But if he continues to play well, he could be an early 2nd round pick.

- Jason Pierre-Paul DE #90

• The JUCO transfer has already made quite a name for himself down at USF, generating a lot of pressure off the edge and making plays in the run game (4.5 TFL). At 6'6", 260 lbs., he appears to have the size and athleticism to move to outside linebacker in a 3-4.

Mel Kiper's already got JPP at #14 on his Big Board. I've liked what I've seen thus far, but I'll reserve judgment until I see more of him tonight.

- Jerome Murphy CB #3

• A tall corner who loves to hit, Murphy has drawn the attention of NFL scouts. According to nfldraftscout, the senior is a projected 2nd round pick. But like all cornerbacks, his 40 time will determine his draft stock.

I'm not sure he has the start & stop ability to be an elite man corner at the next level, but I like his toughness and effort against the run. And if he struggles at corner, an NFL team could switch him to free safety, which would be a very good fit for his skill set.

No, he doesn't normally look like this. But that's the point: Pike struggles when he faces big time pressure.

And USF's DE's - especially Pierre-Paul - can bring pressure off the edge.

Watch #90 at left end (opposite the right tackle). Dude's playing himself into first round consideration, even as a JUCO+1 prospect.

Tonight's game on ESPN (7:30 ET) is a good one to watch if you're interested in QB's and early round defensive prospects.

Here are some guys I'll be focusing on:

Cincinnati:

• -
Tony Pike QB #15

• A late-blooming prospect, Pike didn't play quarterback until his junior year of high school. And like most raw, inexperienced QB's, he's struggled when matched up against top-notch defenses. He finished off last season with a clusterf*cked FedEx Bowl, in which Virginia Tech's defense picked him off four times.

However, he's shown a lot more poise this season, and tonight's matchup against USF's opportunistic defense will be a major test for him. If he has a big game, he could easily move into 1st round consideration. If he flops, he falls back down to the developmental QB category.

One thing to watch for: Pike doesn't always throw a tight ball. Hopefully, he'll spin it a little better tonight.

- Mardy Gilyard WR #1

• Pike's favorite target, Gilyard is a dynamic big play receiver and punt returner. Though he's not particularly big (6'0", 187 lbs.) and isn't a real burner (estimated 4.51 40 time), Gilyard shows impressive body control making moves in the open field or adjusting to an errant throw.

However, I'm a little concerned about his hands: I don't think they're strong enough to bring in a tough catch with contact or break a jam at the line of scrimmage. For that reason, he may be limited to working as a slot receiver at the next level.

South Florida

• -
George Selvie DE #95

• Selvie broke onto the scene as a redshirt sophomore in '07, notching 14.5 sacks and creating a ton of draft buzz. But injuries hampered his production in '08, and many began to question whether the one trick pony truly possessed elite NFL tools.

Though primarily a speed rusher, Selvie isn't a special athlete, to the point that many consider him a tough projection to 3-4 OLB. His defenders will say that he's the next Terrell Suggs; his critics will say he's a less athletic version of Kam Wimbley (and they mean the bad Wimbley).

- Nate Allen S #5

• Allen nearly declared for last year's draft, but his decision to stay was a good one. The game seems have slowed down for him; he isn't out of position as much and is becoming a playmaker, picking off Greg Paulus twice in the Syracuse game.

The senior safety possesses decent size (6'2", 205 lbs.) and very good toughness. One concern I do have is that he doesn't change directions particularly well. His stiff hips could affect his ability to cover receivers and athletic TE's; I bet the coaches and scouts at the Senior Bowl will be keying on that aspect of his game.

But if he continues to play well, he could be an early 2nd round pick.

- Jason Pierre-Paul DE #90

• The JUCO transfer has already made quite a name for himself down at USF, generating a lot of pressure off the edge and making plays in the run game (4.5 TFL). At 6'6", 260 lbs., he appears to have the size and athleticism to move to outside linebacker in a 3-4.

Mel Kiper's already got JPP at #14 on his Big Board. I've liked what I've seen thus far, but I'll reserve judgment until I see more of him tonight.

- Jerome Murphy CB #3

• A tall corner who loves to hit, Murphy has drawn the attention of NFL scouts. According to nfldraftscout, the senior is a projected 2nd round pick. But like all cornerbacks, his 40 time will determine his draft stock.

I'm not sure he has the start & stop ability to be an elite man corner at the next level, but I like his toughness and effort against the run. And if he struggles at corner, an NFL team could switch him to free safety, which would be a very good fit for his skill set.

Great stuff. Thanks Alo! Maybe Selvie can follow in the footsteps of Elvis Dumerville in terms of defining himself better than the naysayers telling him he doesn't fit the prototype. Dumerville isn't an overnight sensation - but he's progressed steadily with desire, experience and studying.

- Tom F.

• 2 months later...

Archived