THE BROWNS BOARD

Cribbs Responds to Trade Rumors

Zombo

Joshua Cribbs addressed reports that at least five teams are bidding for him as the Tuesday trade deadline approaches.

Does Cribbs want to get out of town?

“No no … I want to be in Cleveland for the rest of my career,” he said at his locker stall after today’s practice.

There is a discrepancy on whether Cribbs is signed through 2011 or 2012. Bottom line: He’s signed for at least two more years on a contract averaging about $1 million a year. His agent, J.R. Rickerts, has been pushing to re-do the contract for about a year. Where do talks stand as he progresses through another strong year on special teams, with a limited role on offense?

“I can’t concentrate on that right now,” Cribbs said. “I’ve got to let my agent focus on that. I’m gonna concentrate on the Steelers.”

Rickerts told the Plain Dealer the Browns should give Cribbs a new contract or let another team acquire him. Rickerts told the PD, “Their current position of doing nothing is no longer fair or appropriate. We are asking them to give him the extension he’s earned.”

Cribbs seems focused on remaining a Brown. Asked if he would be disappointed to be traded, he said, “Very.”

“But … everything happens for a reason,” he said, seeming to allow for the possibility.

Cribbs said he and Head Coach Eric Mangini have talked to him about more than just the Pittsburgh game.

“They want to see where my head is at right now,” Cribbs said.

What of reports Cribbs’ agent has accused the Browns of being unfair?

“I do my talking on the field. That’s how I’ve expressed myself thus far, by playing good and letting that speak for me,” Cribbs said. “I let my agent speak for me as far as the business matter.”

What will happen if the season drags on without Cribbs getting a new contract?

“I’m not a wizard,” he said. “I can’t tell the future, but I’ll be very disappointed.”

Cribbs said neither he nor his agent have asked for a trade. He said his agent has broached the possibility of a trade “hypothetically.”

“The trade deadline’s coming up. I guess teams are trying to get everything they can right now before they go into the long haul of their season.”

Cribbs was aware that Mangini said hours earlier in a press conference that the Browns “always listen” to other teams’ offers.

“That’s a business matter,” Cribbs said. “I just make the final decision on what I’m going to do with my decision.”

That may have been Cribbs saying he’ll have the final call if his agent advises him to leave the team during the season.

http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x169343298...st-of-my-career

Joshua Cribbs addressed reports that at least five teams are bidding for him as the Tuesday trade deadline approaches.

Does Cribbs want to get out of town?

“No no … I want to be in Cleveland for the rest of my career,” he said at his locker stall after today’s practice.

There is a discrepancy on whether Cribbs is signed through 2011 or 2012. Bottom line: He’s signed for at least two more years on a contract averaging about $1 million a year. His agent, J.R. Rickerts, has been pushing to re-do the contract for about a year. Where do talks stand as he progresses through another strong year on special teams, with a limited role on offense?

“I can’t concentrate on that right now,” Cribbs said. “I’ve got to let my agent focus on that. I’m gonna concentrate on the Steelers.”

Rickerts told the Plain Dealer the Browns should give Cribbs a new contract or let another team acquire him. Rickerts told the PD, “Their current position of doing nothing is no longer fair or appropriate. We are asking them to give him the extension he’s earned.”

Cribbs seems focused on remaining a Brown. Asked if he would be disappointed to be traded, he said, “Very.”

“But … everything happens for a reason,” he said, seeming to allow for the possibility.

Cribbs said he and Head Coach Eric Mangini have talked to him about more than just the Pittsburgh game.

“They want to see where my head is at right now,” Cribbs said.

What of reports Cribbs’ agent has accused the Browns of being unfair?

“I do my talking on the field. That’s how I’ve expressed myself thus far, by playing good and letting that speak for me,” Cribbs said. “I let my agent speak for me as far as the business matter.”

What will happen if the season drags on without Cribbs getting a new contract?

“I’m not a wizard,” he said. “I can’t tell the future, but I’ll be very disappointed.”

Cribbs said neither he nor his agent have asked for a trade. He said his agent has broached the possibility of a trade “hypothetically.”

“The trade deadline’s coming up. I guess teams are trying to get everything they can right now before they go into the long haul of their season.”

Cribbs was aware that Mangini said hours earlier in a press conference that the Browns “always listen” to other teams’ offers.

“That’s a business matter,” Cribbs said. “I just make the final decision on what I’m going to do with my decision.”

That may have been Cribbs saying he’ll have the final call if his agent advises him to leave the team during the season.

http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x169343298...st-of-my-career

has there ever been a more likable guy in any organization ever? i'm normally against guys who ask for more money, but this guy deserves every penny of what he is ask for and then some.

Cribbs talks like a QB, I wonder if Mangini just says F*** it and starts him later this year
Quinn must not have said Hi to Mangini at a charity event or something cause that sure would be a big F-YOU to Quinn wouldn't it? LOL That being said, it sure would be fun to watch.

Guest 88fingerslewy

Love Cribbs, it's just his agent trying to put a little heat under the Browns I'm sure. It'll get done.

As far as likeable goes, Cribbs and JT without a doubt. Anytime a draft prospect passes up the glitz and glamour of going to NYC for the draft and goes fishing with his dad and his buddies is who I want on my team.

I don't know if it's typical of us Browns fans to be optimistic come Friday but I have a feeling we're going to turn the corner soon. Just a feeling.

Archived