THE BROWNS BOARD

This Week in the AFC North

Zombo

"What curse? I've never lost there."

--Webster Slaughter, Cleveland Browns, when asked about the Three Rivers Curse

Slaughter and his young, brash teammates weren't too concerned about what other Browns teams had done in Three Rivers Stadium. It was a new era, a new team, a new culture. And they went into Pittsburgh and waxed them in 86, then went in and waxed them again the next year, and then went down and waxed them again for good measure for the third year in a row.

Likewise, Eric Mangini has never lost to Pittsburgh as Head coach. He beat them as a Jets coach, and he brings a young team that is playing with a new brand of toughness, defense and special teams not seen in Cleveland in a while ... and even a young Slaughter-like #1 receiver in Mohamed Massaquoi ... to the confluence.

This team doesn't give a crap about Butch Davis, Romeo Crennel, Trent Dilfer, Andra Davis, Reuben Droughns or even Willie McGinest, who at least put a highlight into the current 10-game losing streak to the Steelers by cold-cocking Big Ben into the next week in last year's otherwise drab season-ender which featured a 5th-string QB and a coaching staff and front office about to be guillotined.

Mangini will get the obvious Belichick comparisons, but this overhaul reminds me of a young Marty Schottenheimer as well, when he took over a team that was 1-8 and won the division crown the next year and burst the curse the following year. Hustle, toughness, smart special teams, dogged pass coverage, swarming tackles ... all hallmarks of the young Schottenheimer teams, and good deal of what Browns fans have been treated to the last two weeks as the Browns played the red hot Bengals to a virtual tie and shut down the Buffalo Bills completely on their home turf.

But Mangini might not have to wait a year or two like Schottenheimer to breakup a Steeler win streak. Because this Steeler team of 2009 ... well, they aren't that good. After laboring to beat the downright awful Tennessee Titans, these Steelers got slobberknocked by the Bears and Bengals before barely holding off the Chargers and lowly Lions. Now they get a Browns team that has improved leaps and bounds the past two weeks, and they better be ready for a battle.

Ahh Steeler week ... there is nothing like it. As the Great Zomboni explained to his new wench, The Great Zombonestress: "This is ten games in one. Nothing else matters this weekend. My whole next week will be unbelievably better if we can pull this off. Oh ... and, by the way, you are forbidden from wearing black or yellow all weekend long..."

At least that's the way Browns fans still feel about this week. Steeler fans have probably gotten a little blasé about it ... until their team gets punched in the mouth Sunday by a bunch of young, tough punks who don't give a shit who they are.

Houston at Cincinnati 1 PM

Last weekend The Great Zomboni told all that would listen that the Bengals were a better team than the Ravens and would take them down in Baltimore ... and he was right. This week I want you to forget everything I've told you and run to your local bookie ... and put it all on Houston. The Texans are a dangerous, under-rated team right now ... no one knows how to screw up a good thing better than the Bengals. I see big games from Slaton and Andre Johnson. I see some big fat loser in Bengal-striped sweater and a "Who Dey?" foam finger going down the escalator after the game, tears running through the orange and black facepaint wondering: Did we get fooled again? Yes. TEXANS 37 BENGALS 20

Baltimore at Minnesota 1PM

This one isn't too hard to figure. Jared Allen and company eats up Ravens offense, Ravens defense gets worn down from chasing Adrian Peterson all day, Brett Favre beats them for a TD in the final seconds, runs into the end zone and has sex with the poor bastard who catches the winning TD. VIKINGS 17 RAVENS 16

Cleveland at Pittsburgh 1 PM

The Steelers mediocre-ness reached new lows last week when they let the Detroit Lions take swings at them into the 4th quarter. The Steelers of old would have been putting away the syringes and getting out the mousse at halftime in past years, having put away their toothless opponents and getting ready for their toothless dates. This bunch doesn't have the old punch, and these Browns aren't any Browns team the Steelers have seen before: they are disciplined, relentless on defense, tireless on special teams, and just beginning to gather steam with a bunch of young talent. I expect an old-fashioned black and blue Steelers/Browns game with an old-fashioned result: Browns win. BROWNS 16 STEELERS 13

Zombo

So the Browns Defense has One Good Game , against the Offensive Juggernaut that is Buffalo , and Now they are going to Hold the Steelers to ONE TD ? Wow... Are you the same guy who chose Cleveland to beat the Bills last week , like 30-27 or something ? Cincy Beats Texas 24-21 , The Ravens win in Minn. 27-21 and Pittsburgh wins (Again) 21-10.

Slaughter and his young, brash teammates weren't too concerned about what other Browns teams had done in Three Rivers Stadium. It was a new era, a new team, a new culture. And they went into Pittsburgh and waxed them in 86, then went in and waxed them again the next year, and then went down and waxed them again for good measure for the third year in a row.

Likewise, Eric Mangini has never lost to Pittsburgh as Head coach. He beat them as a Jets coach, and he brings a young team that is playing with a new brand of toughness, defense and special teams not seen in Cleveland in a while ... and even a young Slaughter-like #1 receiver in Mohamed Massaquoi ... to the confluence.

This team doesn't give a crap about Butch Davis, Romeo Crennel, Trent Dilfer, Andra Davis, Reuben Droughns or even Willie McGinest, who at least put a highlight into the current 10-game losing streak to the Steelers by cold-cocking Big Gay Ben into the next week in last year's otherwise drab season-ender which featured a 5th-string QB and a coaching staff and front office about to be guillotined.

Mangini will get the obvious Belichick comparisons, but this overhaul reminds me of a young Marty Schottenheimer as well, when he took over a team that was 1-8 and won the division crown the next year and burst the curse the following year. Hustle, toughness, smart special teams, dogged pass coverage, swarming tackles ... all hallmarks of the young Schottenheimer teams, and good deal of what Browns fans have been treated to the last two weeks as the Browns played the red hot Bengals to a virtual tie and shut down the Buffalo Bills completely on their home turf.

But Mangini might not have to wait a year or two like Schottenheimer to breakup a Steeler win streak. Because this Steeler team of 2009 ... well, they aren't that good. After laboring to beat the downright awful Tennessee Titans, these Steelers got slobberknocked by the Bears and Bengals before barely holding off the Chargers and lowly Lions. Now they get a Browns team that has improved leaps and bounds the past two weeks, and they better be ready for a battle.

Ahh Steeler week ... there is nothing like it. As the Great Zomboni explained to his new wench, The Great Zombonestress: "This is ten games in one. Nothing else matters this weekend. My whole next week will be unbelievably better if we can pull this off. Oh ... and, by the way, you are forbidden from wearing black or yellow all weekend long..."

At least that's the way Browns fans still feel about this week. Steeler fans have probably gotten a little blasé about it ... until their team gets punched in the mouth Sunday by a bunch of young, tough punks who don't give a shit who they are.

Last weekend The Great Zomboni told all that would listen that the Bengals were a better team than the Ravens and would take them down in Baltimore ... and he was right. This week I want you to forget everything I've told you and run to your local bookie ... and put it all on Houston. The Texans are a dangerous, under-rated team right now ... no one knows how to screw up a good thing better than the Bengals. I see big games from Slaton and Andre Johnson. I see some big fat loser in Bengal-striped sweater and a "Who Dey?" foam finger going down the escalator after the game, tears running through the orange and black facepaint wondering: Did we get fooled again? Yes. TEXANS 37 BENGALS 20

This one isn't too hard to figure. Jared Allen and company eats up Ravens offense, Ravens defense gets worn down from chasing Adrian Peterson all day, Brett Favre beats them for a TD in the final seconds, runs into the end zone and has sex with the poor bastard who catches the winning TD. VIKINGS 17 RAVENS 16

The Steelers mediocre-ness reached new lows last week when they let the Detroit Lions take swings at them into the 4th quarter. The Steelers of old would have been putting away the syringes and getting out the mousse at halftime in past years, having put away their toothless opponents and getting ready for their toothless dates. This bunch doesn't have the old punch, and these Browns aren't any Browns team the Steelers have seen before: they are disciplined, relentless on defense, tireless on special teams, and just beginning to gather steam with a bunch of young talent. I expect an old-fashioned black and blue Steelers/Browns game with an old-fashioned result: Browns win. BROWNS 16 STEELERS 13

Zombo

THANKS ! I AGREE

This team doesn't give a crap about Butch Davis, Romeo Crennel, Trent Dilfer, Andra Davis, Reuben Droughns or even Willie McGinest, who at least put a highlight into the current 10-game losing streak to the Steelers by cold-cocking Big Gay Ben into the next week in last year's otherwise drab season-ender which featured a 5th-string QB and a coaching staff and front office about to be guillotined.

Zombo

Slobberknocked by the Bears and Bengals?? The Steelers lost both of those games in the final minutes and lost them both by a total of 6 points. They totally dominated the Bengals for about 3 1/2 quarters and had a defensive meltdown late mainly because Polamalu was out. If he is in both of those games the Steelers most likely are 5-0 but their record is what it is at 3-2. Looks like once again Zombo with all the spew you keep spitting out about the Browns being tough and disciplined and relentless on D you must have not watch the first 3 games of the season the Browns played where they lost to the Vikings,Broncos,and Ravens and gave up 95 points in those 3 games.

Massaquoi you compare him already to Slaughter how many yards did he have last week after having his one good game?? He had 1 catch for 16 yards. You act like this guy is already a world beater because he had one good game against an overrated Bengals defense. Did you see the performance that DA had last week against the Bills?? Where he went 2 for 17 for 23 yards?? Are you really going to sit there and actually have encouragment after a performance like that?? You also point out that Mangini has never lost to the Steelers as a head coach. He has only played 1 game against them so far as a head coach and won in overtime. You cant judge a coach's performance against one team based on one win in one game and if say otherwise then then youre a bigger idiot then I thought you were. So after reading what you just wrote here Zombo you might want to reattach your brain to your mouth because like always once again youre talking out your ass...

Z you are making out the Steelers to be a worse team than they really are.

You're also making out the Browns to be a better team than they are as well, but everyone does that here. :lol:

I'll be shocked if we win this game. Lord knows I want it to happen, but I am not expecting anything but disappointment.

I guess ignorance is bliss for some Cleveland fans.

The Steelers have beaten the Browns 11 straight times and have a 59-55 overall series edge, including the playoffs. Additionally, Pittsburgh has won 17 of the past 18 games in the series overall. The one loss was a 33-13 in Pittsburgh in 2003.

BTW, did you know that Eric Mangini is the first coached hired by the Browns with previous NFL heading coaching experience since 1971?

STEELERS 34

Stains 6

The Browns will have to play a near perfect game to win this.

The weather will have to be a factor, because in good weather Ben would throw for 3 TD's.

The Special teams have to be exemplary and we must be able to run the ball fairly well and CATCH the BALL too!!!

We need to be dead on, which we haven't.

The D has to be disciplined and not give up big run plays.

With the rain, it will be harder for either team to throw down field, so we need to take advantage of underthrown bombs to Mike Wallace.

The Steelers game plan is actually very predictable, but their talent executes well.

Arians is DYING to go DEEP at least 2 or 3 times a game, which will be a challenge in the cold and wet.

I hope Daboll calls a wise game and doesn't turn DA loose. That's tough though because DA and "good short passing game" are never in the same sentence.

I would have a LB on Heath Miller all game and do their best with Hines. Miller could catch ten passes easily. Have to limit big plays.

We have an advantage in wet weather for no other reason than it slows down their passing game.

Remeber last years' 10-6 game, with all the wind.....we could have had that one for sure

With that said....

Steelers 20

Browns 12

As the Great Zomboni explained to his new wench, The Great Zombonestress: "This is ten games in one.

Zombo

WHOOAAA ... screeeeechhhh .... I must have missed this the first time through. We have a new character to this defunctional family? The Zombonestress, enters the picture?

I must be introduced to her on facebook, at once. I have a lot of catching up for her to do ...

If you read it when you're not drunk...it's a whole lot easier to comprehend. He did try to slide that little bit of information past all of us.

I think she needs her on screen name here and possibly a meeting in the tavern so we can fill her in on some history....

Zombo

I don't see it being that close towel head:

Browns 28

Steelers 17

Archived