THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns offensive coordinator Brian Daboll disputes rift with Brady Quinn

SuperSteelers

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...rdinator_b.html

Offensive coordinator Brian Daboll disputed reports that he was at odds with quarterback Brady Quinn and didn't let him run the entire offense.

"No. The plays that we ran in the games that he started, they wouldn't have changed whether it was him or Derek, so no," said Daboll.

In addition to a report on cleveland.com that Quinn and Daboll were at odds, a report on theobr.com (for subscribers only), attributed to sources within the Browns organization and close to the situation, described a situation in which Quinn was hamstrung.

It said Quinn felt that Daboll and coach Eric Mangini "stripped him of the ability to run the entire offense and were not receptive to ideas and suggestions in game conditions. On more than three occasions, Quinn was questioned about checking out of a play or questioning/suggesting a different play-call or approach."

Asked if Quinn had free rein to check out of plays, Daboll said: "We have check with me's every week. It's just a matter of whether we get them called or whether we think that's the best thing to do. In a couple of those, we got into a throwing-fest there a little bit when we were down."

Daboll said of Quinn, "our relationship is good." He also indicated Quinn can still get the job done here if called upon.

"All of those guys that we have in that room right now, they prepare really, really well," said Daboll. "He's on top of all his things that he needs to be on top of. If something happens where he needs to go in there, I'm confident that he can go in there and do the job that we want him to do."

Quinn made it clear on Wednesday that he'd prefer to be playing, but Mangini said the Browns are not looking to trade him before Tuesday's deadline. 'Big Baby' back: Nose tackle Shaun Rogers returned to practice Friday after missing two straight days for personal reasons and is ready to go for Sunday's game.

His status on the injury report changed from "did not parcipate/not injury related" to probable with a foot injury, the same injury he's had for a few weeks. He participated fully in practice Friday and was in great spirits during the portion of the session open to the media.

"You know Shaun," said defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. "He's very intelligent and obviously he's great enough (to miss practice and play well). He'd never miss this game for the world, I don't think."

Dawson 50-50: Kicker Phil Dawson (right calf) is one of seven players who are questionable for the Steelers game. Dawson, who's missed the past three games, was limited all week and was idle during the open first 30 minutes on Friday. Three others listed as questionable are defensive end Robaire Smith, guard Rex Hadnot and linebacker D'Qwell Jackson. Smith was limited with a calf injury but is expected to play. Hadnot, who missed the first five games with a knee injury, has graduated from from being classified as "out" to "questionable." . . . Pittsburgh's Troy Polamalu participated fully in practice all week and is probable with a knee injury.

More for Robiskie: Rookie receiver Brian Robiskie saw significant action in Buffalo, but didn't have any balls thrown his way. Of course, Derek Anderson only attempted 17 passes in the fierce winds.

"I'm optimistic for him. I'm very hopeful," said offensive coordinator Brian Daboll. "He could really help us. His job is to get out there, get open and catch the ball. If the ball doesn't go to him this time, if we get the next coverage that does, he's got to be at the right spot. So yes, I'm optimistic for him."

Lewis wanted it: Daboll said Jamal Lewis, who rushed for 117 yards in Buffalo, approached him in the fourth quarter and said: 'Hey, Dabs, put it on my shoulders. Let me have the ball.' He was really adamant about getting the ball. He wasn't, you know, 'Hey, I want the dang ball,' or anything like that. He was, 'Hey Dabs, let me get this one.' I could feel it on him. He was running hard. He was putting his shoulder down. You really like to have players like that on your team."

Troy a load: Polamalu is returning from his knee injury just in time to keep Daboll awake at night.

"He's a stud," said Daboll. "We talked about Ed Reed back there, not knowing where he is sometimes, it's the same way with Troy. He's explosive. He can tackle. He's good in the pass game. He's good in the run game. There are blitzes where you don't even know if it's a blitz or not and he's jumping six feet over an offensive lineman, making a play in the backfield. You always have to know where he is and you have to account for him."

Archived