THE BROWNS BOARD

King says BQ is out before next season

We need Tom Tupa

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...veland-in-2010/

King: Quinn won't be back in Cleveland in 2010

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 17, 2009 5:37 PM ET

At halftime of today's Notre Dame-USC game, Mike Florio, Peter King, and Jimmy Roberts waxed philosophic about the latest NFL news in advance of this week's trading deadline.

One of the topics was former Golden Domer Brady Quinn, who seems to want out of Cleveland, but looks unlikely to be dealt this week because of his affordable salary.

But King doesn't think the Browns will keep the local favorite for long.

"Whether [Quinn] goes or not [in the next week], he will not be on the Browns in 2010," King said. "I believe they've had enough of Brady Quinn -- Eric Mangini and G.M. George Kokinis, the general manager."

Wow.

This statement did not appear to be made lightly. Even someone without the rolodex of King could look at the situation in Cleveland, and make some judgements regarding Quinn's future there.

The Browns only gave Quinn two and a half games before putting Derek Anderson back in the lineup. Even if they didn't like what they saw, giving him the hook so quickly is not something you do with a true "quarterback of the future."

King's comment makes us wonder when and where we'll see Quinn again, no matter how much the Browns offense struggles with Derek Anderson in the lineup

It definitely sounds like there's more to the story.

I agree. Just to speculate here... my feeling is the team doesn't like the guy and he let his lip loose with the coach.

See ya Brady.

Truth be known....I don't want a QB of my team with the name Brady

Since his benching, Brady likely wants to be traded by the trading deadline this week... but he knows he's "cheap" enough salary cap wise where the Browns see no need to get rid of him... that is unless he makes it clear he's going to be a bad locker room presence. That's his only hope of getting sprung this year.

So clearly he'd doing what he can to rock the boat enough to get cut.

This has worked with Mangini before so Brady figures why not give it a shot. Many Raiders have done the same thing to get themselves out of Oakland and move on to a respectable football team where they do well.

But I think that maybe someone - Kosar perhaps - knows that the word is already out that bad behavior in Cleveland = being traded, and he probably wants try to hold the line this time. So I think you're stuck with Quinn through this season.

I don't think either of these guys are the starters next year. I still think Quinn can play but Mangini/Kokonis have no faith in him so It matters little after that..

.. I would like us to make a play for Kevin, he Kolb looks ready to start. In Philli he had back to back 300 yard games this yeari and they are looking to extend Mcnabb's contract.. He could likely be had for a 2nd rounder. I don't want to get another rookie and go through that again.Kolb has a couple years of seasoning and is in a west coast style offense.

I looked at the other contract year players and there is nothing there. It looks like Kolb is the only real decent backup out there except for old guys. This is not encouraging. We may end up with DA as the starter by default if they are not keeping quinn. Unless Ratliff somehow makes some noise before this season is over..(doubtful). There just are not many good qb's out there.. it's pretty sad.

I mentioned too, that Kolb is said to become third string qb behind Vick now, even after throwing for those 300 yard games.

Seems like that would really work in the Browns' favor, and Quinn would be cheap enough? to hang around and be a backup

for a few more years.

Someone said if you could merge Quinn and DA, you could come up with one pretty good qb.

I doubt it, myself.

Quinn certainly didn't help himself with the "shoes" thing, but the Kosar hiring has me intrigued, especially as it affects the QB & general offense situations. As I recall, Bernie's greatest asset was/is his knowledge of the game as it relates to offense & a "thinking QB".

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Mike

Ratliff time is coming.

I know he looked bad in the preseason but any chance he was just sandbagging so he wouldn't be thrown into the QB controversy? I mean Maybe Mangini had him play poorly on purpose, I know he can play better then what he did during his limited action here.

I know he looked bad in the preseason but any chance he was just sandbagging so he wouldn't be thrown into the QB controversy? I mean Maybe Mangini had him play poorly on purpose, I know he can play better then what he did during his limited action here.

He looked alot better playing against scrubs last year this this year when he was fighting for a job. It is hard to tell, he already knew he wasn't going to be moving up anytime soon and had the 3rd string down, so he sorta mailed it in. .

Quinn certainly didn't help himself with the "shoes" thing, but the Kosar hiring has me intrigued, especially as it affects the QB & general offense situations. As I recall, Bernie's greatest asset was/is his knowledge of the game as it relates to offense & a "thinking QB".

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Mike

It will.

I guess it depends on exactly what Lerner is expecting or wanting the guy to do.

I hope it isn't as some cross checker of the coach and kokinis. Lerner is going to have to handle this deftly or it could create a problem we don't need.

To be honest I think it is as much a PR move as it is anything else...if he gets Bernie giving his stamp of approval on this and that...not talking head type stuff, but really giving approval...then it is going to sit better with the fan base if things still aren't working.

To be honest I think it is as much a PR move as it is anything else...if he gets Bernie giving his stamp of approval on this and that...not talking head type stuff, but really giving approval...then it is going to sit better with the fan base if things still aren't working.

Could be. But even as a PR move I like it.

Could be. But even as a PR move I like it.

I do too...PR is a important function, and my using that term doesn't mean it doesn't or won't have important ramifications in the actual operations of the team.

Lerner needs a sounding board. Someone off the front line staff since he has to evaluate them as well. Bernie gives him a chance to ask some questions or seek another opinion. Bernie is a sharp guy who isn't going to go off half cocked.

I think it is a excellent move. Sorry if I didn't convey that in my earlier post.

I do too...PR is a important function, and my using that term doesn't mean it doesn't or won't have important ramifications in the actual operations of the team.

Lerner needs a sounding board. Someone off the front line staff since he has to evaluate them as well. Bernie gives him a chance to ask some questions or seek another opinion. Bernie is a sharp guy who isn't going to go off half cocked.

I think it is a excellent move. Sorry if I didn't convey that in my earlier post.

Pluto is saying that Bernie has really impressed Mangini and that they will have Bernie work directly with both Quinn and DA. I'm hopeful this is more than just PR as well, as both of our QB's need work on the intangibles (looking off, checking off, cadence etc) that Bernie was the master at.

Sounds good...and again, don't let my using the term PR sound negative...PR is underrated as it is usually associated with political spin...different things.

Bernie is a solid addition that could help many facets of the operation.

I think we have found a solid role for the guy.

The only time I got down on the idea of Bernie is when people started saying he should be the head coach or GM or something along those lines.

Wow, that fateful draft seems so far away.

The Browns disappointing many of us by drafting Joe Thomas in Round 1 and, then, watching Quinn slip through the cracks. Then - BINGO - the Browns do the unthinkable and get both Thomas AND Quinn. A great future LT and QB combination.

Draft day = the first day of Spring Training. Enthusiasm bounds.

Couch and Quinn look like a matched pair. Maybe enough to allow Mike Phipps fade into obscurity.

I hate to say it, but it might simply be a 'pity' hire.

Kosar remains a fan favorite. Apparently, he is suffering from some type of neurological disease. His business 'empire' appears to be crumbling.

Not unlike what the Boston Bruins once did for Derek Anderson - this is a way to, hopefully tide BK over until he gets back on his feet.

I know this sounds harsh.

this whole quinn thing really makes me think of the validity behind the rumor that during the off season, the broncos offered us a 1st round pick for quinn. it seams now that there is no way that happened and that it was nothing more than a rumor. i think that mangini would have jumped all over that if it was offered. he was never a fan of quinn's and it is showing now.

I don't think either of these guys are the starters next year. I still think Quinn can play but Mangini/Kokonis have no faith in him so It matters little after that..

.. I would like us to make a play for Kevin, he Kolb looks ready to start. In Philli he had back to back 300 yard games this yeari and they are looking to extend Mcnabb's contract.. He could likely be had for a 2nd rounder. I don't want to get another rookie and go through that again.Kolb has a couple years of seasoning and is in a west coast style offense.

I looked at the other contract year players and there is nothing there. It looks like Kolb is the only real decent backup out there except for old guys. This is not encouraging. We may end up with DA as the starter by default if they are not keeping quinn. Unless Ratliff somehow makes some noise before this season is over..(doubtful). There just are not many good qb's out there.. it's pretty sad.

I think Kolb would be a nice addition as well as but I highly doubt Philly would part with him.

Vick is one and done the way his contract is structured and wants to start again, Philly would have to pay him $5 million to back up McNabb next year and they won't do that and keep Kolb unless somebody made a substantial offer for Kolb.

A substantial offer for Kolb would be more than the 2nd rounder someone on here suggested. Vick anyone? I didn't think so.

Ouch ... this kid must really look bad in practice.

Actually Quinn looked horrible in practice. I went several times and watched everything. Every flaw Brady Abs had they the media and Grossi Cabot would say it was DA. Quinn entering the season as a starter was PR to sell tickets. We were goin to have blacked out games and he sold more tickets so that wouldnt have happened. Remember Eric Mangenius was the head scout when DA was being thought after in Balitmore. He knows His skills and what he can do. With Bernie now he will have a mentor of the game and u will see him as DA be the starter for atleast a couple more years

Archived