THE BROWNS BOARD

What do you expect Today (Steelers Game)?

ATENEARS

This ain't a score prediction thread, or even a prediction of the out-come. I'd like to hear where you think we may grow as a team, where we might see baby-steps.

What part of the Offense, defense or Special Teams are you going to be focusing on?

My focus as usual will be on the offensive line. You can almost always do that as the play usually stays in the camera angle, and specifically the right side play.

On D it is more the backer play I watch...I am hoping to get some looks at Vineuke(sp).

He is the key element to the last draft. We really need that kid to become a decent, solid player. If he flops it could be viewed as a set-back.

If he becomes a player, that would be 4 players who look like they will hang in the league....Mack, MoMass, and Davis the others...and we still have Robo in the mix.

If you can get 3 good players out of any 1 draft, you have done a good job....4...a great job.

This ain't a score prediction thread, or even a prediction of the out-come. I'd like to hear where you think we may grow as a team, where we might see baby-steps.

What part of the Offense, defense or Special Teams are you going to be focusing on?

I've been watching the defense because they've had some success recently. I'd like to see them continue to improve. They've come close to some game-changing plays several times and selfishly, I'd like to see them get lucky a couple of times in this game.

I have a long list of improvements for Derek Anderson. He needs to channel BQ on the short passes and lose the "oops, I thought that receiver was a Brown" INT tendency. Come to think of it, he just needs to complete more than two passes to Browns players. I'd like the QB and the WRs to look like they're on the same page of the playbook ... like they've SEEN the same playbook... like they know what a playbook is.... you get the picture.

I don't know what to look for on the O-line, or I would.

I'd like to see success on short yardage. How to accomplish that, I don't know.

I'd like to see something more imaginative (successful) in the red zone. Again, I have no clue how.

For someone who's been watching football for as long as I have, I feel pretty stupid when it comes to analyzing the specifics of the game.

I'm going to be watching Wimbley, first and foremost. He's had a rejuvenation of sorts this season. Now he's going up against a very suspect Pittsburgh O-line. I don't expect him to get multiple sacks today because of Ben's escapability, but I do expect him to be a force today as far as pressures go.

Also, I am going to be watching Mike Adams. Have we found another cover guy? Today's the test against Holmes, Ward and Co.

On offense, how effective will we be at picking up the blitz? Some of that will fall on Mack's shoulders as he makes the O-line calls.

Also, our effectiveness running the ball. We've been pretty good the last two weeks, but can we have any success at all today? If we do, I am very encouraged about our offensive line now and in the future.

Finally, anything we get from the passing game today is a bonus.

I look to see if this team is buying in to the Mangini way

play solid D, make them settle for FGs not TDs

keep the game close,then try to win it in the end with a FG

Pricksburgh is notorious for scoring D,they can easily put more TDs on the board than our O

keep mistakes at a minimum,which means boring ball control offense

no turnovers is key today,a gimme TD or two and its over

If pee n black goes up big, will this team quit? or will we fight till the end?

when they punch us in the face,will we hit back? If we are competitive then I see that as improvement,win or lose

For me ...

O-LINE

I think these guys are stepping up and becoming the face of this team. If you read most articles written in the paper, it's Joe Thomas, Steinbach and/or Mack making the quotes.

I think this group is getting better with every snap, and hope I don't jinx them, but by them staying healthy it is really helping the cause.

I want to see them be able to do some of the same things they have done in the past two games, pull out and lead the way, open up some holes for 4-8 yard gains in the run game, limit the sacks.

if they continue to be consistient today, I'll be really excited.

SCHEME

I know many on here think that we have ran the same plays a bit too much (end around, play-action fakes), but to me, I freaking have loved that even in it's limited success. I felt like in the past we tried to see how cool we could be using complicated plays that we had no business attempting to execute. The past two games, we've simplified it and used all the options off the plays and it should be honing our execution, then you keep building from there. I think many options are open today, from Cribbs throwing off the play-action, setting up screens and even taking our shots down field (such as we did when Royal dropped the big one last week).

DEFENSE

Defensively, we've done a nice job disguising blitz packages and a very nice job getting the right personnel in there to counter our opponents substitutions (example: Adams on T.O., expect short yardage passes underneith).

RUNNING GAME

I'm expecting a let down. I think we set the table nice with the two backs gaining 100+ yards in consecutive games. I look for us to use that as a threat today, but take advantage of it in opening up the passing game.

PASSING GAME

I expect us to force it, but have no clue if these rookies are ready to step-up. Anything we get here will be growth.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Hate to rely on these guys again, but we have to. We have to have a big game here again. Cribbs, we need him to have another big game like he did in 2007. I read a stat today that we are only 1-6 when Cribbs has taken a kick to da-house ... which tells me, that just setting up each individual return for good field position is just as good or better than taking one to the house but making mistakes on other returns.

QUARTERBACK

I'm expecting a HUGE game from Derek Anderson today. I don't know how he is going to get the Rooks involved and everyone to catch all their passes, but I put it on his shoulders to find a way. I sent him a note last night on facebook and advised him to 'seize the moment' ... that eminem song should be playing in his head, "Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity. To seize everything you ever wanted-One moment. Would you capture it or just let it slip? His palms are sweaty, knees weak, ... You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow ... "

As fundamental as it may be, Stan, I look for Anderson to move the ball through the air and for the offense to support a good running game.

On the other side of the ball, pressure on Gay Ben.

IMHO, this will likely be a bad game in which to expect glaring improvement - perhaps a nugget there and another one there.

I expect a blow out but hope the Browns can pull a rabbit out of the hat - probably way too much to hope for.

i would really like to see how out receivers develop today with troy polamalu paroling the defensive backfield. they have good corners, not great and this will be a test for our young wr core. i would also like to see if we can get some pressure from our d-ends on rapelessburger. we know rodgers will be in there but smith and coleman need to get at him.

I'm going to be watching Wimbley, first and foremost. He's had a rejuvenation of sorts this season. Now he's going up against a very suspect Pittsburgh O-line. I don't expect him to get multiple sacks today because of Ben's escapability, but I do expect him to be a force today as far as pressures go.

Also, I am going to be watching Mike Adams. Have we found another cover guy? Today's the test against Holmes, Ward and Co.

On offense, how effective will we be at picking up the blitz? Some of that will fall on Mack's shoulders as he makes the O-line calls.

Also, our effectiveness running the ball. We've been pretty good the last two weeks, but can we have any success at all today? If we do, I am very encouraged about our offensive line now and in the future.

Finally, anything we get from the passing game today is a bonus.

Great point about the blitz

LeBeau(sp)always throws the kitchen sink at Browns QBs

I just want someone to step up in our WR corp. We need it so badly. I hate how thin we are at that spot, its insane. Basically, we have two rookies (one of whom is apparently so bad he doesn't play), two slot receivers (Furrey and Stuckey), and then.... cribbs. Excuse me while I go barf.

I've been watching the defense because they've had some success recently. I'd like to see them continue to improve. They've come close to some game-changing plays several times and selfishly, I'd like to see them get lucky a couple of times in this game.

I have a long list of improvements for Derek Anderson. He needs to channel BQ on the short passes and lose the "oops, I thought that receiver was a Brown" INT tendency. Come to think of it, he just needs to complete more than two passes to Browns players. I'd like the QB and the WRs to look like they're on the same page of the playbook ... like they've SEEN the same playbook... like they know what a playbook is.... you get the picture.

I don't know what to look for on the O-line, or I would.

I'd like to see success on short yardage. How to accomplish that, I don't know.

I'd like to see something more imaginative (successful) in the red zone. Again, I have no clue how.

For someone who's been watching football for as long as I have, I feel pretty stupid when it comes to analyzing the specifics of the game.

I will help you watch what u look for on th O Line.

1. St. Clair pushing his defender 8 yards deep and making a pocket for DA to Step Up.

2. Joe Thomas shutting out another Pro Bowler.

3. Blitz Pickup with the backs and TE

4. The Fact the line is ten times better with Fraley at guard.

5. DA thorwing 2 tds today and a 9- yard rusher. Balnced offense is the Key

I want to see us look like we belong on the same field with them. As much as I want to see it...I'm not expecting a team this young to go into Pittsburgh and win this year. But I what I do want is that at the end of the game, Pittsburgh feels lucky to have gotten away with a win..that they know we were out there. For once, we won't get pushed around on both sides of the ball. I want it to be a game in the 4th quarter and then maybe the defense can step up and make a big play and we can pull off the upset.

Our hopes are with field position. Set up by the special teams (Zastudil, Cribbs) and the defense. The defense has played well and if they can create a few turnovers we CAN beat Pittshole. Rapistburglar can be picked when he's pressured and we CAN turn Rashard back into Fumblenball. Upset City!

Doug

Like others have said, I will be watching our oline.

I will also be watching our lb's and secondary - I want close, preventive coverage, not just standing

with receivers to prevent them from gettin yac.

I'm tired of the pitch and catch to wide open Pittiful receivers. I hate it.

I want to see Anderson show he can be our starting quarterback.

Agreed, so we can focus on upgrading our defense in the next draft.

I'm focusing on our defense in today's game. We simply have to beat Pitt at their own game...blitzing, fundamental tackling, knocking the opposition on their ass.

The other thing I'm focusing on is team energy...if Mangini "gets" being a head coach of the Cleveland Browns, we will be pumped up for this game, flying all over Heinz. If they come out uninspired/flat, then Mangini doesn't get it at all.

I just want to see our defense dominate. Not sure if it's been posted yet, but I love what Rob Ryan had to say...

"[This rivalry] is one of the reasons I came here to Cleveland," said defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. "I love football. I know Pittsburgh loves football and I know our town loves football. They represent their town well and I know we do too.

"We're a work in progress, but this is a team that this city is going to love. We're a tough city. We're tough people out here in Ohio. We're just going to keep getting better and eventually everybody's going to see that the plan is laid in place and it's perfect."

Ryan need only look back to 2006, when his Raiders beat the Steelers 20-13, to know it can be done. Ryan's defense outplayed the Steelers' vaunted unit, picking off Big Gay Ben four times and returning two for touchdowns, and sacking him five times.

"Last time I saw them, they held our offense to [98] yards," said Ryan. "Of course, we won the game, but that's because our defense was dominating. No shock there."

Ryan was smiling.

"That's what we plan on doing, is contributing to a win on Sunday [as a defense]. That's what we're excited about. ... These are the type of games you look forward to playing and watching your guys. Is it going to take all they have physically? Darn right. That's why you love this type of game. I hope it snows, rains, mud; I don't care. Bring it on, we're excited about it."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/..._curse_cle.html

i expect us to get our butts handed to us and DA throw 2-4 int's. Sorry, but we suck. I do want to see 4 quarters of good effort. Even though Pitt is not as good as they have been in the past..They are still way better than us. I like our secondary. I think our OL is improving game by game.. It's not going to be enough to keep us in this game

Pitt brings the house vs DA and he folds up like a cheap chair.. as always.

Archived