THE BROWNS BOARD

Can We Stop Calling it a Rivalry?

dencyguy

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that the Browns and Steelers should never be called a rivalry again. I'm just saying for right now, it's pretty clearly not--a rivalry generally features both teams winning every now and again--and acting like this is still one of the best rivalries in football is kind of embarassing. Again, the Browns will make this a rivalry again (and hopefully pretty soon), but right now it's a rivalry in the same way that Mr. Bill and that big hand is a rivalry.

Dennis

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that the Browns and Steelers should never be called a rivalry again. I'm just saying for right now, it's pretty clearly not--a rivalry generally features both teams winning every now and again--and acting like this is still one of the best rivalries in football is kind of embarassing. Again, the Browns will make this a rivalry again (and hopefully pretty soon), but right now it's a rivalry in the same way that Mr. Bill and that big hand is a rivalry.

Dennis

We'll Get'em next year baghead.gif

Dennis

I'm sorry, but this match up will always be a rivalry to me. Ya we haven't beaten them for a long time but it will always be the same bad blood that I'm sure alot of other Browns fans feel towards the Steelers that makes this a rivalry match up.

The cool thing about it that your team will feel like champs. Say the Steelers continue to own 'em, go 20-1 against the Brownies for the next 10 years (and this year's remaining beatdown).

That one win for the Browns, even if it comes in the middle of a 1-15 season (which, with Mangini, is possible) is gonna feel like your guys hit Mazeroski's homer in the 9th against the dreaded Yanks to win the series.

For the Steelers the other 20 wins will just feel, well, expected.

Pops

Trust me the Steeler organization doesn't like to lose to the Browns. They prep hard for us and that dates back to Cowher as far as recent history.

Now the fans might be too stupid and bandwagonny to remember the rivalry, but rest assured from the Rooney's on down they d. Hence things like first down calls for a measurement that's clearly an inch short. The Rooney's are on top of it.

Its still as much a rivalry as it ever was its just that right now its a completely uncontested rivalry and while the fire still burns in us browns fans the stooler fans currently have nothing to heat them up...they own us the rivalry is only one sided until we catch their asses on fire again by owning them 2-3 times in a row....;)

Anymore it's a pity party for the Browns. The rivalry was in the old days. Fans still care, but players come'n go so fast, they're friends with a lot of opposition. TA lot of them don't even remember the ass beating from last year. Most didn't live here their lives and it's no big deal like it it to the older fans. Now someone like Quinn, or Jurivicious (sp?) would've been different as they're locals and know. KII was an exception, he lit a fire under players asses. We had a pretty good team a few years back, imagine if we kept that team and just found a good coach and QB, and maybe a few D guys, we'd be a contender. But we had Mangini tear it all apart and then try to bring in a bunch of Jets guys to stink it up.

Some Browns fans are just plain stupid! The only ones that don't think it is a rivalry are the ones that are too young to know any better. I hate the Browns with a burning passion and I would rather go 2-14 and beat the Browns twice then go 14-2 and lose to you boners twice.

Some Browns fans are just plain stupid! The only ones that don't think it is a rivalry are the ones that are too young to know any better. I hate the Browns with a burning passion and I would rather go 2-14 and beat the Browns twice then go 14-2 and lose to you boners twice.

I can't say that I exactly agree with what you said, but that was pretty funny. Many of the younguns have no idea what this rivalry was like and how deap the hatred flowed.

The cool thing about it that your team will feel like champs. Say the Steelers continue to own 'em, go 20-1 against the Brownies for the next 10 years (and this year's remaining beatdown).

That one win for the Browns, even if it comes in the middle of a 1-15 season (which, with Mangini, is possible) is gonna feel like your guys hit Mazeroski's homer in the 9th against the dreaded Yanks to win the series.

For the Steelers the other 20 wins will just feel, well, expected.

Pops

Pops, you're slowing down. I enjoyed last seasons game, just as much as coming back and beating you guys in Pittsburgh as an expansion team.

Last season's game was special, I give it a thumbs up ...

b1264f55c7_roth_12292008.jpg

I'm disappointed that Big Ben didn't fake a serious injury for us yesterday, that's good stuff.

The bad blood and the rivalry really doesn't exist on the Steelers side of the ledger. It's just something perpetuated by the Browns players and the Browns fans.

you must be under 30 if you're saying that. and it probably holds true for bandwagon fans but show me a seasoned diehard on either side of the fence who doesn't consider it a strong rivalry and i'll...well i won't do shit. it's bullshit from my point of view and a matter of perception. nice how you speak for the 18 hundred million other fans you guys claim exist too. if you want to speak for them, you're also responsible for anything else they say there "currently stoned".

you must be under 30 if you're saying that. and it probably holds true for bandwagon fans but show me a seasoned diehard on either side of the fence who doesn't consider it a strong rivalry and i'll...well i won't do shit. it's bullshit from my point of view and a matter of perception. nice how you speak for the 18 hundred million other fans you guys claim exist too. if you want to speak for them, you're also responsible for anything else they say there "currently stoned".

The main reason I consider it a Rivalry is I grew up in NE Ohio and only started watching football around 1983, when the Steelers dynasty had only a handful of players left and the Browns began to take it over for a 4 year stretch.

Mind you I was in Jr. High (where we all know kids can be the absolute meanest) and I took nothing but shit for years, especially when the Browns finally won in Pittsburgh in 1986 (I was praying they could keep the jinx going until I graduated).

The real truth is....and you may not like this but its the truth....that the ownership over the Browns is something that is important to the Steelers. Why else would Tomlin leave the starters in last season in the final game when it meant nothing to the Steelers playoff positioning? It was because the tradition of beating up on the Browns since this 25 of 28 streak begain in 1993, has been passed on from one player to another, one team to another.....and it means something. Tradition really means something to the Steelers players and the organization--so they want to pass it on and continue it.

Not exactly sure what your gibberish is saying, or to whom, but I'll wing it. I'm 53, have been a fan since birth and a diehard fan since 71 and, no, it's not a rivalry!

Don't get me wrong, I know why you guys feel it is.....it's one of the last things left for you to hang on to......but it's simply not a rivalry to most of us. A rivalry revolves around competition and there simply isn't any!

ROFLMAO ... hold-on .... (trying to compose myself) .... ROFLMAO .... (no wait, trying to get up) ... (holding gut ... it hurts) .... Whoa ... that was fucking great. Now, (gathering self) ... now, after all of that. Can I ask you why you hang-out a Browns Message Board, when you can chose from over 30 other teams to spar with?

Doh!

"somebodies got a boyfriend .... "

Actually I think most fans like the losing. It seems they love to bitch & moan. Listen to sportstalk and we have the cavs winning 66 games, barely any talk! We are supposed to win the championship, barely any talk! If the cavs lose 2 games in a row all the Loser Cleveland fans come out with their speeches.

Everyone here loves losers because thats all they know. They all want to be arm chair GM's.

You would assume this town would be a Cavs Town when we are right there! But nope, when the Indians are great - they talk about the Browns sucking, if the Cavs are great like now 95% of all talk on the radio and tv shows are Browns & Indians.

because....

They suck.

Actually I think most fans like the losing. It seems they love to bitch & moan. Listen to sportstalk and we have the cavs winning 66 games, barely any talk! We are supposed to win the championship, barely any talk! If the cavs lose 2 games in a row all the Loser Cleveland fans come out with their speeches.

Everyone here loves losers because thats all they know. They all want to be arm chair GM's.

You would assume this town would be a Cavs Town when we are right there! But nope, when the Indians are great - they talk about the Browns sucking, if the Cavs are great like now 95% of all talk on the radio and tv shows are Browns & Indians.

because....

They suck.

Cavs talk will come when the NBA season gathers steam. Also when u have 3 teams each team will have its share of the lime light in circles.

Dennis

The Browns-Steelers rivalry would be a heckuva lot better if the Browns were the Baltimore Ravens and the Ravens were the expansion team. You know, like it should have been all along !!!!!

The Browns-Steelers rivalry would be a heckuva lot better if the Browns were the Baltimore Ravens and the Ravens were the expansion team. You know, like it should have been all along !!!!!

Well, you can blame the NFL fathers for that in a sense. They elected to put an expansion team in Jacksonville which is only the 40th most populous metropolitan area in the US with about a 1.3 mill population over Baltimore which is 20th ranked with over double the metro area population than Jax, (and much, much more if you count the D.C. metro region).

Of course, if the NFL chose Baltimore, it probably only means that Modell would have been snooping around other towns, like Jax, for a bribe to go there, so it is hard to tell what would have happened.

Well, you can blame the NFL fathers for that in a sense. They elected to put an expansion team in Jacksonville which is only the 40th most populous metropolitan area in the US with about a 1.3 mill population over Baltimore which is 20th ranked with over double the metro area population than Jax, (and much, much more if you count the D.C. metro region).

Of course, if the NFL chose Baltimore, it probably only means that Modell would have been snooping around other towns, like Jax, for a bribe to go there, so it is hard to tell what would have happened.

And FYI, the following metro regions all have a larger population than Jax: Providence, Virginia Beach, Columbus, Las Vegas, Sacramento, San Antonio, Austin, Orlando, not to mention LA of course. All with no NFL franchise. (though the New England Patriots actually play closer to downtown Providence than they do to downtown Boston, thus the Pats are really Providence's team.) Also, Oakland Raiders considers Sacramento part of its territory. Columbus is "kept open" for a choice between Browns and Bengals.

Most viable current expansion cities from this list, in my opinion: San Antonio/Austin; Las Vegas, Virginia Beach/Norfolk (over 200 miles from closest NFL city), and of course LA.

Archived