THE BROWNS BOARD

mangini must go

firemangini

Just goes to show you how moronic Jets fans are. Not enough that they drove the guy out of town but they had to follow him and keep calling for his ouster wherever he is. That's sad.

Have fun watching your team score less than ten pts a game for the next few years guys... Just trying to do you a favor. Its alright give Mangini a couple years, I'm sure he'll turn you guys around.

I also can't wait for the season to end, for a bunch of name coaches to come looking to get back in it, and you guys won't even be looking cause you'll be stuck with mangina. I can get your organization's too dumb to realize it, but as a fan you gotta know he's not going to take you anywhere. He's not Belichick.

But its cool, I like it, defend the guy. Give it four more weeks and the whole lockerroom's going to be done with him. Player's don't buy into his bullshit even when they're winning a couple games, so I'm sure it carries over well when the team keeps getting blown out. Sure he'll probably make it to next year, but after he goes 5-27 over 2 years (I'm probably being too optimistic about the 5 wins) lets just hope you come to your senses. Because throwing away 2 years just to make a point is definitely the right move, and settling for losing is totally ok because NFL teams don't turn around that quickly. Not like the Cardinals went to the superbowl last year, or the dolphins went from a 1 win season to a division title. Oh yeah, and about those dolphins, remember how they fired their new coach after just one season? Worked out pretty well for them...

Get rid of the guy, bring in someone proven (how about jon gruden, lets assume Bill Cowher and Mike Shanahan aren't interested).

So yeah I'm not a browns fan, and I can't say I know your team in and out. I do know that you have a solid O-Line (I'd take the Thomas/Steinbach combo over most in the NFL), an old running back who could still be etffective in the right system, a quarterback who two years ago was the toast of the league (I was hopin he'd get traded to my jets) and took your team to ten wins and a tiebreaker away from making the playoffs. Oh and you have the most exciting players in the NFL to watch as well. Your players are better than they've performed, and I really don't understand why everyone just assumes you guys should get blown out of every game.

oh and the site's not about making money (no ads) and really isn't going to get mangini fired either. Had to make a site for class and get 1000 people to view it, and the only thing I know about is football. Wasn't gonna write about my Jets cause I knew my opinion would change too quickly (case in point, when i made this site, I was convinced we'd contend for the AFC this year. Now I'm just hopin for 8 wins). So I thought I'd write something about my two least favorite people in the world (Bill Belichick and Eric Mangini). so for what its worth: firemangini

Honestly, look at the jets that team is not without talent, and mangini did pretty well 2 out of the 3 years he was there.(a lot better then what Rex Ryan is doing imo) He is not a bad coach he has just been left with crap on this team and now he is fixing it, give him time. The first problem mangini has is the talent level on this team the second and most brutal is the media they talk and talk and talk and fill your head with all there crappy opinions, and you know what they don't matter really they're just mad that they are locked out from all the good info they used to get from Phil savage and romeo. The media will shut up when we start winning (see: Bill Belichick and the New England patriots) and the wins will come trust me. Just be patient guys I know its rough right now, and for the love of god don't listen to idiot jets fans.

CLEVELAND: The Browns have reached the time for a difficult decision regarding the future of Eric Mangini: There shouldn't be one.

Sunday was another humiliating loss, this one to the Green Bay Packers, at home. The 31-3 final does not do it justice.

The Browns were abysmal.

Yes, a bunch of guys had the flu during the week, and the flu stinks.

But so do the Browns — now 1-6 and playing worse.

The Packers were playing without two starters on the offensive line. They found a way to play well, to compete, to win.

Which is what mentally tough teams do.

The Browns find ways to lose, to botch games, to turn a loyal-to-a-fault fan following dispassionate and blase.

Coach Eric Mangini did not deserve the personal shots taken at him in Rolling Stone last week, but professionally, he has done nothing with this team except make it worse.

The Browns ended last season

playing their third- and fourth-string quarterbacks. This season's team has its roster, minus the normal number of injuries. It's not overly beaten up, and it's not an expansion team.

Yet it's the worst Browns team since the jubilant return in 1999.

This is Mangini's team. It's his approach, coaching staff and roster — with 23 new players on opening day (and 10 former New York Jets now on the team).

The Browns have been humiliated on the road in Baltimore and Denver, embarrassed at home by the Minnesota Vikings and the Packers. They lost by three to the Cincinnati Bengals then won by three in Buffalo.

Imagine — the highlight of the season is a three-point win over the Bills, when the starting quarterback completed two passes.

The two quarterbacks have regressed to the point that they don't resemble the guys who played the previous two seasons. All the Browns have done with Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn is destroy their trade value.

Quinn was yanked after 10 quarters. The past 12 quarters, Anderson has gone 23-for-70, yet during a blowout loss Sunday, Quinn never looked for his helmet.

Is there any clearer indication that he has absolutely no future with the Browns?

Go down the roster, especially to the places Mangini made changes. The right side of the line? No better. Neither are the other spots where Mangini brought in ''his'' guys — at receiver, tight end, safety, inside linebacker or defensive end. Not to mention offensive coordinator.

Too, consider the teams that former coaches Butch Davis and Romeo Crennel took over. None had a Shaun Rogers at nose tackle, a Josh Cribbs, a Joe Thomas, an Eric Steinbach.

Mangini did not take over a 12-win team, but he also did not take over one that should lose by 28 at home.

After the loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers eight days ago, their offensive coordinator, Bruce Arians, said the Steelers noticed the Browns like to blitz the safeties on first and second down. If you protect, Arians said, you can make big plays by running guys through the vacated area.

Guess what the Packers did in the first quarter? It saw safety Abram Elam blitz, then sent Donald Driver to Elam's area for a 71-yard touchdown that featured yet more missed tackles.

The players can say they're playing hard for their coach.

The evidence isn't there.

The Browns can keep hoping that things will get better and the ''foundation'' is being built.

If they do, they're fooling themselves.

It's difficult and painful to admit a mistake, but coaches have been replaced sooner.

The Browns and owner Randy Lerner need to start considering this possibility. Seriously.

Is it fair to Mangini? Probably not. He's trying, he's working. He doesn't want to lose. But it's not working. The Browns could win next Sunday, yes, but what does that make them? Two-and-six.

And is it any less fair than it was to Quinn to have 10 quarters to prove himself? Mangini wanted this system where he decides personnel. It's his show, and his record.

Most important, though, is perpetuating this situation fair to the fans who have to watch this nonsense week after week after week? To give them this kind of effort and play after they've spent so much of their hard-earned money?

If the Browns think they have problems now, wait until December, when it's cold, and 25,000 are in the stands and games are blacked out locally. And wait until they start selling tickets for 2010.

The only thing worse than making a mistake is not admitting it.

Continuing a mistake ''just because'' only compounds the mistake.

The Browns' defense has been terrible all season, but coordinator Rob Ryan might be able to reach the players in a way Mangini hasn't. He's done nothing to earn the job, except be the best option on the staff to be an interim.

Heck, it can't be worse.

It's a tough decision for Lerner, because he personally hired Mangini. But this team has gotten worse — in every way — and there's no evidence short of a 6-3 win in Buffalo that the team believes in what it's being told.

Nor is there a shred of evidence that it will get better.

The time has come to recognize a mistake, make a tough decision and start over again next season. It's another restart and that's one more too many, but maybe it will produce better results and some long-lost continuity.

What's taking place is simply not working.

Link: http://www.ohio.com/sports/65964347.html

good article. this is why i was so against him from the start. he only had one good season and that was with a weak schedule. i don't want to hear about how last year was good and they fell just short. a better coach wouldn't have lost that lead. lerner is so infatuated with the "belicheck" style of coach and needs to give up on it. we have 11 draft picks next year: let's get a coach in here who will use them well: not a guy who doesn't know what to do with them.

Honestly, look at the jets that team is not without talent, and mangini did pretty well 2 out of the 3 years he was there.(a lot better then what Rex Ryan is doing imo) He is not a bad coach he has just been left with crap on this team and now he is fixing it, give him time. The first problem mangini has is the talent level on this team the second and most brutal is the media they talk and talk and talk and fill your head with all there crappy opinions, and you know what they don't matter really they're just mad that they are locked out from all the good info they used to get from Phil savage and romeo. The media will shut up when we start winning (see: Bill Belichick and the New England patriots) and the wins will come trust me. Just be patient guys I know its rough right now, and for the love of god don't listen to idiot jets fans.

You say when we win, what makes you believe with Mangini we will win? I just want to know why you have so much confidence in Mangini

Just last year we had a team many felt was on the brink of being a playoff contender, Mangini came in and got rid of 2 playmakers in Edwards and Winslow, while true they did not want to be here, but why was neither replaced with playmakers?, we had the #5 pick in the entire draft yet we continued to trade down to get a freakin center, now I understand you needed help on the oline, but knowing you wanted to get rid of Edwards or he was not going to resign with us why not trade down and get one of the many playmakers available in the draft a Harvin, Maclin, Nicks type player, in round 2 we draft 2 wide receivers, we all know it takes most rookie receivers a few years to adapt to the NFL game, I could see drafting one receiver but not 2 when this team needed a running back and pass catching tight end neither of which was addressed in the draft (Shonn Green looked pretty good yesterday)now look at all the ex jets we brought in, none of them have really made any type of impact, are you telling me the money we spent on those ex Jets could not have went to get a better RT than St.Clair or better guard than Womack, what about on defense where we all saw Mcdonald having problems giving up big plays last year and we bring in ex Jets in Hank Poteat and corey Ivey, or at LB we could not have done better than barton and Bowens?

The blame IMO lies with Mangini because these are his guys, the guys he wanted, there is no excuse for not having a veteran wide receiver on this team someone better than Mike Fuerry or a better tight end than Royal, the draft IMO did not address the needs, are you going to tell me drafting a project in Veikune or a specials team player in Maiva was a better option than getting a running back or CB or pass rushing LB.

We trade Braylon, now I don't have a problem with trading Braylon my problem is getting a slot receiver and a specials team linebacker in return, once again we get rid of a playmaker and don't add another playmaker this is all on Mangini

What about Jerome Harrison something has to be wrong, the guy can't get more carriers than over the hill Jamal Lewis, 2 coaching staffs now have decided that harrison is not good enough to start yet we don't draft a running back

IMO Mangini has done more to hurt this team than to improve this team, and I don't see anything in the future to make me believe that all of a sudden things are going to change for the good with Mangini, so we have 11 draft picks of the 11 realistically how many will actually contribute2-3 maybe the remaing that make the team will be depth we will be lucky to get 2-3 starters out of the draft and this team will need more than 2-3 new starters

You say when we win, what makes you believe with Mangini we will win? I just want to know why you have so much confidence in Mangini

Just last year we had a team many felt was on the brink of being a playoff contender, Mangini came in and got rid of 2 playmakers in Edwards and Winslow, while true they did not want to be here, but why was neither replaced with playmakers?, we had the #5 pick in the entire draft yet we continued to trade down to get a freakin center, now I understand you needed help on the oline, but knowing you wanted to get rid of Edwards or he was not going to resign with us why not trade down and get one of the many playmakers available in the draft a Harvin, Maclin, Nicks type player, in round 2 we draft 2 wide receivers, we all know it takes most rookie receivers a few years to adapt to the NFL game, I could see drafting one receiver but not 2 when this team needed a running back and pass catching tight end neither of which was addressed in the draft (Shonn Green looked pretty good yesterday)now look at all the ex jets we brought in, none of them have really made any type of impact, are you telling me the money we spent on those ex Jets could not have went to get a better RT than St.Clair or better guard than Womack, what about on defense where we all saw Mcdonald having problems giving up big plays last year and we bring in ex Jets in Hank Poteat and corey Ivey, or at LB we could not have done better than barton and Bowens?

The blame IMO lies with Mangini because these are his guys, the guys he wanted, there is no excuse for not having a veteran wide receiver on this team someone better than Mike Fuerry or a better tight end than Royal, the draft IMO did not address the needs, are you going to tell me drafting a project in Veikune or a specials team player in Maiva was a better option than getting a running back or CB or pass rushing LB.

We trade Braylon, now I don't have a problem with trading Braylon my problem is getting a slot receiver and a specials team linebacker in return, once again we get rid of a playmaker and don't add another playmaker this is all on Mangini

What about Jerome Harrison something has to be wrong, the guy can't get more carriers than over the hill Jamal Lewis, 2 coaching staffs now have decided that harrison is not good enough to start yet we don't draft a running back

IMO Mangini has done more to hurt this team than to improve this team, and I don't see anything in the future to make me believe that all of a sudden things are going to change for the good with Mangini, so we have 11 draft picks of the 11 realistically how many will actually contribute2-3 maybe the remaing that make the team will be depth we will be lucky to get 2-3 starters out of the draft and this team will need more than 2-3 new starters

I believe he can win because he has in the past with the same team Rex Ryan is just doing average with. We were not on the verge of playoffs last year we just got lucky in 07 and had an extremely average team then. Braylon was a locker room cancer if there ever was one(why do you think anderson was happy to be rid of him?) What we got in turn for the deal is the two draft picks and young receiver who can grow, and K2 is on his last legs literally and now on a team that is even worse then our own. Now with harrison I honestly don't know what the deal is, the only thing I can guess is that mangini realized early on that we werent going to win a lot of games, and is now protecting harrison from injury and allowing lewis to play out his last games of his career. Mangini is building a TEAM here not a group of me first players that are always barking for the ball in the huddle. Mangini and Kokinis was recommend do lerner by Ernie Accorsi, Ernie Accorsi is widely regarded as a great evaluator of front office talent as he has recommended the falcons front office, and they havent done very badly for themselves in atlanta.

Remember kids its always darkest before dawn have a little faith.

Archived