THE BROWNS BOARD

A possible cure for our QB woes

Mr. T

If Mangini is not impressed with either QB this guy looks pretty good.

Jake Locker #10 QB 128 Rating

Hometown FERNDALE, WA

Height 6-3

Weight 226 lbs.

Class Junior

Stats!

So you wanna take a flyer on a kid from washington? really? I'd rather see sam bradford or chris pike, and they are two more DA's in the making. Spend the money, draft Colt McCoy, he is the best QB in the draft as far as accuracy, and oh by the way, he can run too. just sayin.

T-

I like Locker very much but he's very raw. I don't see him as a guy who's going to be able to start right away. He's mentally tough and has leadership skills but his mechanics aren't great. I think he's perhaps as high as a late 2nd rounder but could be as low as a 4th rounder.

If you want immediate help, then you'll have a debate on your hands. Bradford is damaged, Pike is raw and oft-injured, Tebow is a questionable NFL talent at the QB position. Clausen has a weak arm.

I love McCoy but I'm a Texas alum so I can't really be objective. Here are some things that I do like. He's a leader who's started four years. He's used to pressure. He's won big game after big game. He's very athletic and aware on the field. He's very accurate (80% for a whole season last year). He's tough. He can make ALL of the throws. He may not be to your liking though.

Locker could benefit from Bradford and Pike being damaged. I wouldn't be surprised if he shot up the draft boards close to the draft if he has a good combine.

Here is a good article that found

Dear Browns: Don't Draft a Quarterback!

Conventional wisdom says that the Cleveland organization should scrap the Derek Anderson and/or Brady Quinn experiments and look to use the top pick (which seems assured to be top seven) on a big name quarterback. I say “conventional wisdom” is wrong.

The Cleveland Browns section of B/R has been lighting up with calls for Jimmy Clausen, Tim Tebow, Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford or Tony Pike.

In the same breath, many are saying that Eric Mangini has “ruined” Brady Quinn or that DA “is not the future of this franchise.” All that may or may not be true, but there is one axiom that I have heard from a number of general managers who are considered to be the top of their craft:

“NEVER DRAFT FOR NEED!”

The fact is, not one of the aforementioned quarterback prospects is a sure thing. Each has his strengths, but all have question marks.

The truth is, if you look at the most successful franchises over the past ten years – aside from one (the Indianapolis Colts), they all built their teams with solid talent BEFORE settling on a quarterback.

The Pittsburg Steelers,New York Giants, New England Patriots,Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Ravens, and St. Louis Rams (nine of the last 10 NFL Champions) all forged ahead by building superior defenses, accumulating numerous playmakers on offense, or both - before picking the quarterback that would lead them to the promised land.

The Steelers first Super Bowl with Ben Roethlisberger at the helm was largely won behind the strength of a power running game and a stingy defense.

The Patriots first Super Bowl with Tom Brady was the result of a playmaking, opportunistic defense. And on top of that, Brady was a sixth round pick.

Eli Manning had a terrific run down the stretch for the Giants, but it was the Giants ferocious defense and solid run game that kept them afloat for most of the season.

The Buccaneers and Ravens won Super Bowls with career journeyman; and the Rams won their Super Bowl with a guy who was working check-out lines at a grocery store before becoming famous.

For all those reasons, I implore the Browns franchise to build a strong defense and run game before deciding to switch gears at quarterback. And if Anderson or Quinn are not “the guy,” at least refrain from using a top pick on who you “think” will be the guy.

Let’s take a look at the two quarterbacks who were chosen early in the draft this year with the hope that they would turn around their respective franchise’s fortunes.

The Lions chose Matt Stafford with the first pick. In the limited time he hasn’t been injured, Stafford has played relatively well for a rookie. But the Lions, despite having one of the top two or three wide receivers in the game, are far from turning their team into a playoff contender.

The Jets drafted Mark Sanchez. Sanchez has a 5:10 interception to touchdown ratio and his team is no better off with him than without him. The Jets were a 9-7 team in 2008 and it appears that they may even fall short of that in 2009.

This is not a popular opinion in Browns circles because fans are so tired of losing they think that a top-rated college quarterback will be the miracle cure. But football is a 48-man sport, and this team is about 35 short (if not more).

The one thing that I am encouraged by is the fact that I think this Browns organization understands that. They are piling up draft choices like a squirrel hoards nuts to prepare for the winter.

Something that fans should also prepare themselves for is that the landscape is about to change in the NFL with a new collective bargaining agreement on the horizon.

NFL owners are getting ready to play hard ball on issues such as revenue sharing, rookie salaries, the salary cap, and restrictions on free agency.

As result, small and medium market clubs are less likely to rebuild their teams through free agency. In fact, there will most likely be very little player movement even among large market teams.

NFL GM’s are starting to follow the Patriots blue print of avoiding the top 10 of the draft like it’s the plague. The reason is that they want to avoid paying big contracts to roll-of-the-dice rookies.

If you do “miss” on a player you are devoting a great deal of your salary structure to, you can set your football team back three to five years. That is why I commend this organization for working so hard to accumulate draft choices in rounds two through five.

There is strength in numbers, and it is a lot easier to cut short-term contracts that are not working out, than to eat the salary of a player on a four-year, multi-million dollar contract. It is not only difficult to cut the player in the latter category, but that player also becomes untradeable because his signing bonus cannot be spread out over the term of his deal.

This scenario hits a team two ways: 1.) You have a player under-performing; and 2.) you cannot replace said player because there is not enough money left.

The fact is, there is not one single player in the up-coming draft that can completely turn this franchise around. There are needs at wide receiver, tight end, offensive guard, offensive tackle, running back, defensive end, outside linebacker, middle linebacker, corner back and safety (in addition to quarterback).

If the Browns do decide to turnover the quarterback position, I would recommend keeping Anderson or Quinn and drafting a QB in the second round or later…slowly groom him…and make sure the pieces are in place before throwing him to the wolves.

The whole article HERE

T-

It's a blog and most of those are opinion based. Has he quoted anyone with NFL Scouting experience? I'm not saying that the opinion isn't a valid one but he's not proving anything by spouting it.

BTW, why is it that everyone thinks Colt McCoy is small? He's 6'3" and 215 lbs. Is that small for a QB all of a sudden? He's bigger than Drew Brees. That's the same size as Aaron Rodgers and Jay Cutler (although Cutler has ten pounds on him).

Yes I know its a blog, just wanted to share his opinion. I dont see mangini drafting a QB.

I would like to see a big play RB myself, that would be a good for whoever is at the QB it will keep the defenses honest.

IMO: I am not saying we dont have good RB's in Harrison and Davis. JL is just used up

I'd go for the right side of the offensive line b4 a QB and plug a hole or two on D. Maybe spend the 2nd round on a good RB........You guys have invested too much at the QB position to make a guy who isnt proven a double digit millionaire. Build around DA or BQ and in a few years go after that franchise QB.

I'd go for the right side of the offensive line b4 a QB and plug a hole or two on D. Maybe spend the 2nd round on a good RB........You guys have invested too much at the QB position to make a guy who isnt proven a double digit millionaire. Build around DA or BQ and in a few years go after that franchise QB.

I hate to agree with a steelers fan... but this is the way to do it..they need playmakers...RB ..a stud..and a long FAST WR...but id go SUE 1st round without thinking twice if he is on the board...

is it bad to root for losses :)

jokes!

T-

I like Locker very much but he's very raw. I don't see him as a guy who's going to be able to start right away. He's mentally tough and has leadership skills but his mechanics aren't great. I think he's perhaps as high as a late 2nd rounder but could be as low as a 4th rounder.

If you want immediate help, then you'll have a debate on your hands. Bradford is damaged, Pike is raw and oft-injured, Tebow is a questionable NFL talent at the QB position. Clausen has a weak arm.

I love McCoy but I'm a Texas alum so I can't really be objective. Here are some things that I do like. He's a leader who's started four years. He's used to pressure. He's won big game after big game. He's very athletic and aware on the field. He's very accurate (80% for a whole season last year). He's tough. He can make ALL of the throws. He may not be to your liking though.

Locker could benefit from Bradford and Pike being damaged. I wouldn't be surprised if he shot up the draft boards close to the draft if he has a good combine.

I'll wager he is a top 10 pick...no question!!!

Is he coming out. I thougt he was a Junior and he might want to stay another year with a real coach and be the number one pick in 2011.

He has great leadership and drive. But he is just learning how to play in the pocket. I think he is a year or two project for a good coaching staff. I think he will be a good pro, but not one you would start as a rookie. If you draft him I think you need to have a stop gap QB.

Is he coming out. I thougt he was a Junior and he might want to stay another year with a real coach and be the number one pick in 2011.

He has great leadership and drive. But he is just learning how to play in the pocket. I think he is a year or two project for a good coaching staff. I think he will be a good pro, but not one you would start as a rookie. If you draft him I think you need to have a stop gap QB.

CBA....if he comes out...it will be because of the CBA.... I think he'll stay(gut) but if he does come out...I wouldn't even field calls if he is there when we pick!

Draft a RT with a top 5 Pick??/ are you on Meds? If we have a top 5 pick the only way to justify that kind of $ is LT or QB.... or a freak DE

T-

I hope you're right. I HATE taking QBS with your first pick and I have been hoping like hell that Locker drops to the 3rd round. I really like him but can't justify taking him with either of our first two picks. 1st round or the first of our 2nd rounders.

Draft a RT with a top 5 Pick??/ are you on Meds? If we have a top 5 pick the only way to justify that kind of $ is LT or QB.... or a freak DE

I actually agree with you Solon. We can get a RT as late as the 3rd round. We need too many "skill position" guys on this team to draft an OL in the first. But I hope Mangini pulls another first day trade to get another 3rd rounder. I would love to move down a few spots in the 1st to get another 2nd or 3rd.

Archived